Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,309 members, 7,780,730 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 08:56 PM

Covenant University's Track Record Of Abuse And The Irresponsibility Of NUC - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Covenant University's Track Record Of Abuse And The Irresponsibility Of NUC (18558 Views)

List Of NUC Accredited Courses In University Of Uyo / Son Of Nuc executive secretary Graduate From Uk Univeraity / Irresponsibility Of University Portal Support (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Covenant University's Track Record Of Abuse And The Irresponsibility Of NUC by obailala(m): 8:26am On Apr 04, 2018
The sickening nonsense going on in most private universities is just a reflection of the failure of the Nigerian system. For starters, if we had decent public schools, nobody will opt to attend those glorified seminaries. People attending private unis in Nigeria do not really have a choice, that's why the proprietors and managers of these schools enjoy the freedom to maltreat the students like animals.

3 Likes

Re: Covenant University's Track Record Of Abuse And The Irresponsibility Of NUC by maasoap(m): 8:26am On Apr 04, 2018
SpoiltVirgin:
This is not going anywhere. They did not force you to apply to Covenant University

kingreign:

I owe you a beer

I knew that I must see comments like these. The fact that you agreed to go to a particular university didn't mean that you have forsaken your dignity and human rights.
Mehn, I don't even know how to respond to these guys' comments because they are supposed to be "educated" dudes. Comments like these should be better coming from stark illiterates who couldn't differentiate between right and left hands.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Covenant University's Track Record Of Abuse And The Irresponsibility Of NUC by Livangel: 8:30am On Apr 04, 2018
Sometime ago, some students were expelled for not bringing bible to the chapel. The laws of the institution is very strict
Re: Covenant University's Track Record Of Abuse And The Irresponsibility Of NUC by maasoap(m): 8:35am On Apr 04, 2018
eodavids:

Op, I take exception to your position on this matter.

Covenant University is today known for its quality of education, infrastructure and standard. That being the case; BUT DO NOT DORGET THAT COVENANT UNIVERSITY IS A DREAM, VISSION AND MISSION OF CERTAIN WELL MEANING INDIVIDUALS.

IF THE MORAL AND RELIGIOUS PRINCIPLE THE INSTITUTION IS INCULCATING ON THEIR STUDENTS ARE PART OT THEIR VISSION AND MISSION; THEN MY POSITION IS THAT THEY SHOULD FIRE ON.

WE MUST NOT ALWAYS RUN INSTITUTIONS OF LEARNING WITH LOOSE AND LAX MORAL AND RELIGIOUS PRINCIPLES.

KUDOS TO COVENNANT!

I thought you were going to respond to this quoted part? Guessed you had nothing to say about it.

Worse still, is that the instrument used in scrapping the hair of possibly hundreds of students was not safe as they use it on students after students without visibly sterilizing it.
Out of 100+ students, a few will definitely have some form of hair infection or a transmittable disease(HIV, hepatitis, tinea captis, keloid, bumps)

3 Likes

Re: Covenant University's Track Record Of Abuse And The Irresponsibility Of NUC by XaviDayo(m): 8:37am On Apr 04, 2018
Cheap lies. You can't go into a man's house and tell him how you wat to live and be treated in that house. If you are not comfortable, the same thing to do is leave and don't ever come back. Convenant University like other private Universities were built on certain standards and the parents of the children going there are aware. How can u say NUC should do a secular to make attending religious activities in a religious institutions optional? Oga, if u wat optional, go to the federal schools around.

The part NUC needs to play is in. Regulating their fees. Shikenan..aside that...if u carry yourself go convenant, na u Sabi. U must be ready to kneel and greet and also attend all and I mean all religious activities. Shior
[color=#770077][/color]
Re: Covenant University's Track Record Of Abuse And The Irresponsibility Of NUC by polis007(m): 8:37am On Apr 04, 2018
NUC has no jurisdiction to mediate in internal matters such as this they can only come in matters relating to accreditation and standards. Having said that, I don't support CU actions but I am aware that every parents read and signed off on the school rules and regulations before sending the wards to enroll in any academic program. Covenant University didn't force anybody to come, so if you choose to go there you must abide by their rules and regulations, there is no sentiments.
Re: Covenant University's Track Record Of Abuse And The Irresponsibility Of NUC by sosidauto(m): 8:38am On Apr 04, 2018
I was at the school yesterday to see a brother and I heard one of the student with a shaved head said...this school is hot oh now they have started with the shaving of our hair very soon they will start to check our nails,teeth, size of our dick and girls with big boobs will be probed undecided

Most boarding schools like CU has damaged alot of children and though they are older now the damage hasn't been fixed

1 Like

Re: Covenant University's Track Record Of Abuse And The Irresponsibility Of NUC by J2381: 8:39am On Apr 04, 2018
Such nonsense. That's how they indoctrinate people's kids into their religious beliefs. I won't be surprised if NUC sweep this under the carpet, after all, Oyedepo has shown number without times he has very deep pockets.

1 Like

Re: Covenant University's Track Record Of Abuse And The Irresponsibility Of NUC by Crixina(f): 8:39am On Apr 04, 2018
Wait, does it means Muslims or people from other religions don't attend this school?
If they do, how do they handle that?
Re: Covenant University's Track Record Of Abuse And The Irresponsibility Of NUC by Nobody: 8:43am On Apr 04, 2018
ultron12345:
The school has rules, and those rules should be obeyed. Anyone that isnt okay with those rules wasn't forced to apply.

The same old line you keep repeating in the face of tyranny and oppression. While CU may be a good school for academic related activities, justifying this act is sheer stupidity, to say the least.
Re: Covenant University's Track Record Of Abuse And The Irresponsibility Of NUC by bjbukzy(m): 8:45am On Apr 04, 2018
SammieJayh:
On seeing this news today, I was indifferent at first.

But on a second thought, I feel this is wrong on a whole lot of levels. Out of 100+ students, a few will definitely have some form of hair infection or a transmittable disease(HIV, hepatitis, tinea captis, keloid, bumps), so this is bad health wise and I'm already scared of applying to CU because I won't take this under any circumstance.

But it all boils down to the lawless country we live in.
I remember my days in Nigerian Navy Secondary School and how the hair of defaulters were designed with scissors...I know for sure that my cousins still face the same insult in that school till now...(and yes, the school goes unchecked; because 'it's a military school'). This same unhealthy and ridiculous treatment still continues in so many schools all over Nigeria.

I stand with Covenant University, but not today...
Lol.....once i saw the tweets yesterday, my mind went to mr guda and his scissors.
U attended nnssabk?
Re: Covenant University's Track Record Of Abuse And The Irresponsibility Of NUC by blezdBen: 8:45am On Apr 04, 2018
ultron12345:
The school has rules, and those rules should be obeyed. Anyone that isnt okay with those rules wasn't forced to apply.
Is there such a rule that the University authorities at their convenience can use any sharp object as they deem fit to cut off students hair without any form of sterilization?
Re: Covenant University's Track Record Of Abuse And The Irresponsibility Of NUC by Robenny(m): 8:50am On Apr 04, 2018
Is there anywhere in CU's student handbook where it is forbidden to keep a neatly groomed Afro?

What am I saying? How is the length of one's hair an index of one's spirituality or intelligence?

So, this also means someone with natural dreadlocks can't attend Covenant University?

Pls if u don't like the mode of activities, why don't you stay clear. Its not by for to attend CU. Better still, open your own university and run with your best pattern.

1 Like

Re: Covenant University's Track Record Of Abuse And The Irresponsibility Of NUC by Queenext: 9:03am On Apr 04, 2018
SpoiltVirgin:
This is not going anywhere. They did not force you to apply to Covenant University
expecting this.

Your brain has been wired to accept nonsense,and see rubbish as a way of life.

This is clearly a breach of human right,and well being.

Just as usual,it will be business as usual

4 Likes

Re: Covenant University's Track Record Of Abuse And The Irresponsibility Of NUC by KingAlige: 9:05am On Apr 04, 2018
HigherEd:
Covenant University's Track Record Of Abuse And The Irresponsibility Of National Universities Commission

Covenant University today has become the epitome of religious oppression, mockery and is proof of how terrible the Nigerian educational space can get if not well regulated.

Today we witnessed possibly hundreds of the so called "Kings and Queens of Hebron" having their hair scrapped to humiliate and shame them for not bringing bibles to Church. Worse still, is that the instrument used in scrapping the hair of possibly hundreds of students was not safe as they use it on students after students without visibly sterilizing it.

It saddens me that an institution with so much potential to become one of Africa's best universities has decided to go this path of oppression and senselessness and the National Universities Commission is complicit in allowing this evil happen unchecked, by failing to protect the rights of Nigerian students or creating regulations preventing them from oppressing students.

The irresponsibility of NUC not only shows in their lack of desire to protect students of private universities but even students of public universities who have also been subjected to ridiculous treatments in their universities

As a nation we've failed our people in the public education system and we are equally failing our people in the private educational system. We've failed to check the educational activities of our religious organizations not minding the oppression and sometimes, indoctrination that happens silently in those organizations. We've made higher education an all comers affair without putting in regulations binding church or islamic universities from doing just as they like. I hope we would not wake up someday to realise an entire segment of the population of the country indoctrinated thanks to our nonchalance.

It is time for NUC to do better by creating a comprehensive guideline for Private universities which would prevent students from being forced to go to chapel or mosques, attend prayers or unofficial meetings and equally scrutinize the handbooks of all universities making sure it doesn't violate the constitutional rights of students.

For purpose of emphasis and clarity there is no section of Covenant University's handbook of 2013-2017 where it is written that students hair can be scrapped with an unsterilized equipment because students refused to bring bibles to church.

This is also a wakeup call to students of Covenant university to challenge Covenant over their non constitutional behavior in a federal high court over the public health risks they were subjected to by Covenant University. By HigherEd

Lalasticlala pls help move to fp

Advance Primary school. Kwantino
Re: Covenant University's Track Record Of Abuse And The Irresponsibility Of NUC by kingzfarms(m): 9:08am On Apr 04, 2018
HigherEd, I have followed your post(s) on NL for a while now, they are always well investigated and correctly reported but today you got it all wrong and your post is misleading.

First I would like to point out that the hair Case was absolutely not related to not having bibles in church. the Bible ish happened on easter Monday at Faith Tabernacle with bishop Oyedepo preaching during the Easter youth camp program, while the hair ish happened on Tuesday at CU chapel.

Now it is clearly written in the current student handbook that male students should have a low hair cut and be clean shaven at all times, this has been flouted by male students at an alarming rate and it was only a matter of time before something like this is done

The only case I think you have here is that the clippers were not sterilized, and yes I agree CU can do better and should be made to answer for such carelessness but for the hair cut, the students brought it upon themselves. it is the rule it is what the school wants so they should comply.

As for Nuc that is an effort in futility Nuc has no say in how a private university sets out her rules and regulations maybe you should go through the mandate and function of Nuc again. a private institution having met the basic requirements and given license to operate HAS every right to set its own "Standards" internally, as far as CU is meeting up with the basic requirements of Nuc they are free to do as the management and board of regents deem fit.

Again get the local or international red cross society to question the carelessness of covenant but don't make this case about the rules of CU, they set the rules and are making sure students comply, all the students met the rules on ground, always get your facts 100% correct as you have been doing before now, don't mislead or misinform the public like the many random blogs here on Nairaland. Information/Knowledge is power.

3 Likes

Re: Covenant University's Track Record Of Abuse And The Irresponsibility Of NUC by eodavids(m): 9:16am On Apr 04, 2018
kingreign:

I owe you a beer

You deserve an EVA wine
Re: Covenant University's Track Record Of Abuse And The Irresponsibility Of NUC by Charly68: 9:17am On Apr 04, 2018
Am sure every student signed undertaking to abide by the rules of the institution, so I don't see how enforcing the rules of a school would be tagged abuse ...The school was founded on Christian ideals and principles any student that can't abide should either leave or be made to conform..
Re: Covenant University's Track Record Of Abuse And The Irresponsibility Of NUC by Shroud: 9:21am On Apr 04, 2018
I believe parents pay tuition fees for their children to learn proven scientific facts and not the personal opinion and beliefs of a narcissistic, idiotic pig called oyedepo.

I still stand that churches should be taxed. These holy fraudsters are just charismatic robbers who have mastered the art of manipulation and deceit in grand scale.

1 Like

Re: Covenant University's Track Record Of Abuse And The Irresponsibility Of NUC by eodavids(m): 9:22am On Apr 04, 2018
kingzfarms:
HigherEd, I have followed your post(s) on NL for a while now, they are always well investigated and correctly reported but today you got it all wrong and your post is misleading.

First I would like to point out that the hair Case was absolutely not related to not having bibles in church. the Bible ish happened on easter Monday at Faith Tabernacle with bishop Oyedepo preaching during the Easter youth camp program, while the hair ish happened on Tuesday at CU chapel.

Now it is clearly written in the current student handbook that male students should have a low hair cut and be clean shaven at all times, this has been flouted by male students at an alarming rate and it was only a matter of time before something like this is done

The only case I think you have here is that the clippers were not sterilized, and yes I agree CU can do better and should be made to answer for such carelessness but for the hair cut, the students brought it upon themselves. it is the rule it is what the school wants so they should comply.

As for Nuc that is an effort in futility Nuc has no say in how a private university sets out her rules and regulations maybe you should go through the mandate and function of Nuc again. a private institution having met the basic requirements and given license to operate HAS every right to set its own "Standards" internally, as far as CU is meeting up with the basic requirements of Nuc they are free to do as the management and board of regents deem fit.

Again get the local or international red cross society to question the carelessness of covenant but don't make this case about the rules of CU, they set the rules and are making sure students comply, all the students met the rules on ground, always get your facts 100% correct as you have been doing before now, don't mislead or misinform the public like the many random blogs here on Nairaland. Information/Knowledge is power.

You nailed it. Thanks

1 Like

Re: Covenant University's Track Record Of Abuse And The Irresponsibility Of NUC by obonujoker(m): 9:25am On Apr 04, 2018
Lol... when churches like deeper life, Lordschosen or MFM open their universities, una go gree.... grin
Re: Covenant University's Track Record Of Abuse And The Irresponsibility Of NUC by greatcrown: 9:26am On Apr 04, 2018
I want to believe that the students are aware of the rules of the school before enrolling.

This same students who find it had to obey rules will be accusing the government for not obeying the law of the land.

For the record, social media is not the law and not the court.

If you are sure you have a genuine ground to press charges, go ahead and do that.

However, I will advise the school to ensure that each student has personal clipper and at least refundable fee of 10k naira to be for fees incase the school is forced to barb stubborn students.
Re: Covenant University's Track Record Of Abuse And The Irresponsibility Of NUC by eodavids(m): 9:27am On Apr 04, 2018
Charly68:
Am sure every student signed undertaking to abide by the rules of the institution, so I don't see how enforcing the rules of a school would be tagged abuse ...The school was founded on Christian ideals and principles any student that can't abide should either leave or be made to conform..

Oh bless you.

We need to know that student's ability to follow school regulations holistically is tantamount to such student's ability to obey the law of the land/country.

University is a community while the country is a larger community/society. All students who find it difficult to obey school rules and regulations are likely going to flaunt national laws.

2 Likes

Re: Covenant University's Track Record Of Abuse And The Irresponsibility Of NUC by bionixs: 9:29am On Apr 04, 2018
HigherEd:

I have seen the video myself. This time around Covenant would be taught an important lesson. I know someone has forwarded the video to Webometrics, Times Higher and the international red cross and so they can exclude Covenant from subsequent rankings as protest for this kind of behavior. The President of Webometrics just confirmed an hour ago that he received such video though he recommended the students get "local authorities" involved.

Covenant offers excellent academic education but we must call out every nonsensical behaviour in the school.
when are going to have sense? An organization was on their own, not by force,you carried your sick self with your legs to away Ogun state, read their bye laws and was given a copy too. Among others,you went for them not by force. paid extra and only to carry your inability to train your children at home to pollute their hard earned reputation and other students. Can't you see that you are very SICK?! Who forced them on you,who dragged you to the place ? Go and train your unruly ward. Na only empty loud mouth you get. when YOU start teaching them the lesson,let NL know.

1 Like

Re: Covenant University's Track Record Of Abuse And The Irresponsibility Of NUC by Pataricatering(f): 9:32am On Apr 04, 2018
Throwback:
Is Nigeria still a republic?

Is there human rights in Nigeria?

Covenant University is a reflection of a broken system where those in authority do not know the limits of their power and the fundamental rights of the citizenry.

That a university will forcefully enforce a haircut as punishment for whatever offence, is the reason why Nigerians have never been raised to speak up against tyranny.

Covenant University has helped to raise a lot of stammerers in Nigeria, who are too scared, subdued and unable to demand to be treated with dignity by the authority.

A nation of people who bow before their oppressors - their fellow man.
i don’t blame covenant university ! It is the idiotic parents who pay money to have the dignity and self-esteem of their children stripped under the guise of discipline!

1 Like

Re: Covenant University's Track Record Of Abuse And The Irresponsibility Of NUC by eodavids(m): 9:34am On Apr 04, 2018
Shroud:
I believe parents pay tuition fees for their children to learn proven scientific facts and not the personal opinion and beliefs of a narcissistic, idiotic pig called oyedepo.

I still stand that churches should be taxed. These holy fraudsters are just charismatic robbers who have mastered the art of manipulation and deceit in grand scale.

You seem to have digressed from the very substance of concern here. The issues you are raising are extraneous

1 Like

Re: Covenant University's Track Record Of Abuse And The Irresponsibility Of NUC by Isaacmacdon(m): 9:35am On Apr 04, 2018
It's so painful that those students had to go through such disgusting treatment.
That's what you get when students don't know their rights.
University -- whether secular or religious -- has a mandate to inculcate good ethics and also to develop human capacity.
There are private universities in the US, and something of this nature doesn't even occur.
We overdo things in this part of the world, and it's sickening.
Until we begin to know the very essence of a University, things like this wouldn't see the light of the day.

I suggest the students sue the university for violating their human rights.
Many have said that there is no provision for such in the student's handbook, so, that's the first evidence.
Re: Covenant University's Track Record Of Abuse And The Irresponsibility Of NUC by Shroud: 9:40am On Apr 04, 2018
eodavids:

You seem to have digressed from the very substance of concern here. The issues you are raising are extraneous
how so? Didn't you read that part where students' hair are shaved for not bringing Bible to church ?

Why would a school, a university--the pinnacle of learning-- practice religious dictatorship?

1 Like

Re: Covenant University's Track Record Of Abuse And The Irresponsibility Of NUC by Lomprico2: 9:41am On Apr 04, 2018
Secondary school sef no be like this. undecided
Re: Covenant University's Track Record Of Abuse And The Irresponsibility Of NUC by eodavids(m): 9:42am On Apr 04, 2018
polis007:
NUC has no jurisdiction to mediate in internal matters such as this they can only come in matters relating to accreditation and standards. Having said that, I don't support CU actions but I am aware that every parents read and signed off on the school rules and regulations before sending the wards to enroll in any academic program. Covenant University didn't force anybody to come, so if you choose to go there you must abide by their rules and regulations, there is no sentiments.

NO SENTIMENTS!

Thats the phrase that extinguished the matter
Re: Covenant University's Track Record Of Abuse And The Irresponsibility Of NUC by eodavids(m): 9:47am On Apr 04, 2018
Shroud:
how so? Didn't you read that part where students' hair are shaved for not bringing Bible to church ?

Why would a school, a university--the pinnacle of learning-- practice religious dictatorship?

No dear,

Except you handle the rulebook yourself, don't say you've found an evidence. Except proven otherwise, the institution hasn't acted in ultra vires

1 Like

Re: Covenant University's Track Record Of Abuse And The Irresponsibility Of NUC by kokan: 9:47am On Apr 04, 2018
kingreign:

I owe you a beer
You both are senseless.. Yes no feelings at all for your fellow human

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Chinelo Okafor, UNN Best Graduating Student (Faculty Of Health Science) / Alleged Extremist Group In OAU Has Support Of Buhari’s Cabinet Member – DSA / Panel Clears FUTO Over Appointment Of Pantami As Professor Of Cybersecurity

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.