Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,347 members, 7,780,933 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 05:47 AM

Covenant University's Track Record Of Abuse And The Irresponsibility Of NUC - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Covenant University's Track Record Of Abuse And The Irresponsibility Of NUC (18559 Views)

List Of NUC Accredited Courses In University Of Uyo / Son Of Nuc executive secretary Graduate From Uk Univeraity / Irresponsibility Of University Portal Support (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Covenant University's Track Record Of Abuse And The Irresponsibility Of NUC by kingreign(m): 9:50am On Apr 04, 2018
kokan:
You both are senseless.. Yes no feelings at all for your fellow human
Obatala and Sango romance you there. Songbe
Re: Covenant University's Track Record Of Abuse And The Irresponsibility Of NUC by Shroud: 9:53am On Apr 04, 2018
eodavids:

No dear,

Except you handle the rulebook yourself, don't say you've found an evidence. Except proven otherwise, the institution hasn't acted in ultra vires
So it's in their time books and it's mandotory for students to bring Bibles to church and if they don't they get a kind of punishment by barbaric method of haircut?

I'm glad to see you shifting from my post wasn't the substance of the discourse to now telling me I haven't read the school rule book to judge them.

Nice way to flip-flop.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Covenant University's Track Record Of Abuse And The Irresponsibility Of NUC by kokan: 9:55am On Apr 04, 2018
kingreign:

Obatala and Sango romance you there. Songbe
Same to you Senseless somebori
Re: Covenant University's Track Record Of Abuse And The Irresponsibility Of NUC by eodavids(m): 9:57am On Apr 04, 2018
maasoap:

I thought you were going to respond to this quoted part? Guessed you had nothing to say about it.

Yes, that part is pertinent.
However, it deals with the healthy outcome of the exercise, and not necessarily with rightness or wrongness of the haircut exhibition.

If you wisely probe through this matter, you will most likely find that the institution had had the rule before now and the students are well aware of it.

You will even find that the students had been reminded of the rule and enjoined to do the needful, but they felt their "human right" allows them to appear anyhow they deem fit.

Ask any lawyer you know: RIGHTS CORRELATE WITH DUTIES AND NO RIGHT EXISTS IN ISOLATION OF DUTIES".

The duties of the students includes that they obey the rules and regulations of the institution, and not the other way round.
Re: Covenant University's Track Record Of Abuse And The Irresponsibility Of NUC by kingreign(m): 10:04am On Apr 04, 2018
kokan:
Same to you Senseless somebori
You go vex and die like rat wey dem pour poison make e chop. Yeye dey smell nonsense and ingredients.
Re: Covenant University's Track Record Of Abuse And The Irresponsibility Of NUC by Daeylar(f): 10:38am On Apr 04, 2018
Ladyhippolyta88:
Advanced secondary school everywhere undecided
A real advanced sec school,

It's pitiable,

1 Like

Re: Covenant University's Track Record Of Abuse And The Irresponsibility Of NUC by uyiekpenn(m): 10:39am On Apr 04, 2018
writerights:

I'm convinced there are a lot of other inhumane acts being committed by the school every day but would never see the light of the day. Knowing this is because it affects a large number of the students' populace.

I think if CU would continue in this grand commando style, It needs to enforce a complete clamp down on social media access and activities by her students, else, CU may be sitting on a huge keg of gun powder.

There is actually no justification at all for this barbaric act.
I'm currently suing the school I graduated from for its incompetence, negligence and ineptitude.
Re: Covenant University's Track Record Of Abuse And The Irresponsibility Of NUC by edonks1: 10:49am On Apr 04, 2018
The Nation has failed. Covenant University has failed. Students were expelled because of not greeting hostel porters. Now shaving hair because a student did not go to Chapel. NUC should react by closing down this covenant university. The Students/ Parents should protest for unlawful behaviors. The school has reached the peak and now at the decline
Re: Covenant University's Track Record Of Abuse And The Irresponsibility Of NUC by MiddleDimension: 10:55am On Apr 04, 2018
i heard if you bear namea like fasola, you will be asked to change it. how bad!
Re: Covenant University's Track Record Of Abuse And The Irresponsibility Of NUC by newslifeop: 10:59am On Apr 04, 2018
hmmm
Re: Covenant University's Track Record Of Abuse And The Irresponsibility Of NUC by mu2sa2: 11:06am On Apr 04, 2018
Why complaining? Isn't the owner of the university anointed - anything he says or does is irreproahable because he is a man of god according to his worshippers.
Re: Covenant University's Track Record Of Abuse And The Irresponsibility Of NUC by onyxo76(m): 11:37am On Apr 04, 2018
I hope all those who had haircuts were screened for hepatitis B and HIV, if an affected student later comes down with such diseases then he/she can sue the school for using an unsterilised clipper for multiple users... in a lighter mode i wonder how they will punish me that have a bald head. cheesy

1 Like

Re: Covenant University's Track Record Of Abuse And The Irresponsibility Of NUC by Nobody: 11:40am On Apr 04, 2018
HigherEd:
Covenant University's Track Record Of Abuse And The Irresponsibility Of National Universities Commission

Covenant University today has become the epitome of religious oppression, mockery and is proof of how terrible the Nigerian educational space can get if not well regulated.

Today we witnessed possibly hundreds of the so called "Kings and Queens of Hebron" having their hair scrapped to humiliate and shame them for not bringing bibles to Church. Worse still, is that the instrument used in scrapping the hair of possibly hundreds of students was not safe as they use it on students after students without visibly sterilizing it.

It saddens me that an institution with so much potential to become one of Africa's best universities has decided to go this path of oppression and senselessness and the National Universities Commission is complicit in allowing this evil happen unchecked, by failing to protect the rights of Nigerian students or creating regulations preventing them from oppressing students.

The irresponsibility of NUC not only shows in their lack of desire to protect students of private universities but even students of public universities who have also been subjected to ridiculous treatments in their universities

As a nation we've failed our people in the public education system and we are equally failing our people in the private educational system. We've failed to check the educational activities of our religious organizations not minding the oppression and sometimes, indoctrination that happens silently in those organizations. We've made higher education an all comers affair without putting in regulations binding church or islamic universities from doing just as they like. I hope we would not wake up someday to realise an entire segment of the population of the country indoctrinated thanks to our nonchalance.

It is time for NUC to do better by creating a comprehensive guideline for Private universities which would prevent students from being forced to go to chapel or mosques, attend prayers or unofficial meetings and equally scrutinize the handbooks of all universities making sure it doesn't violate the constitutional rights of students.

For purpose of emphasis and clarity there is no section of Covenant University's handbook of 2013-2017 where it is written that students hair can be scrapped with an unsterilized equipment because students refused to bring bibles to church.

This is also a wakeup call to students of Covenant university to challenge Covenant over their non constitutional behavior in a federal high court over the public health risks they were subjected to by Covenant University. By HigherEd

Lalasticlala pls help move to fp

I once went to said higher institution for a job interview. the first question I was asked is ' are you a born again' . I just smile and know deep within that this is just an inductrination center.
Re: Covenant University's Track Record Of Abuse And The Irresponsibility Of NUC by d33types: 11:41am On Apr 04, 2018
ultron12345:
The school has rules, and those rules should be obeyed. Anyone that isnt okay with those rules wasn't forced to apply.

The rules aren't the problem. The method of enforcement is . In sane societies the DSA will be sued for willful exposure to blood borne infections.
Re: Covenant University's Track Record Of Abuse And The Irresponsibility Of NUC by Nobody: 11:45am On Apr 04, 2018
eodavids:

Yes, that part is pertinent.
However, it deals with the healthy outcome of the exercise, and not necessarily with rightness or wrongness of the haircut exhibition.

If you wisely probe through this matter, you will most likely find that the institution had had the rule before now and the students are well aware of it.

You will even find that the students had been reminded of the rule and enjoined to do the needful, but they felt their "human right" allows them to appear anyhow they deem fit.

Ask any lawyer you know: RIGHTS CORRELATE WITH DUTIES AND NO RIGHT EXISTS IN ISOLATION OF DUTIES".

The duties of the students includes that they obey the rules and regulations of the institution, and not the other way round.

maybe you should read the case on Rosa park V the state of Alabama.

have you heaerd of anything called civil disobedience.

or you're just another educated mugu
Re: Covenant University's Track Record Of Abuse And The Irresponsibility Of NUC by Makino: 12:30pm On Apr 04, 2018
The school itself is not bad in terms of academics, principles and learning environment. However, there are certain people (in student council or lecturers) who by virtue of their position, have decided to take matters into their own hands and commit all sorts of atrocities in the bid to exercise their authority over the students. These are the culprits, not the school authorities. You know the saying "absolute power corrupts absolutely". These people need to be reprimanded and brought to book. Trust me, this is the absolute truth!!!....coming from someone who schooled there.

2 Likes

Re: Covenant University's Track Record Of Abuse And The Irresponsibility Of NUC by SammieJayh(m): 12:36pm On Apr 04, 2018
SpoiltVirgin:
This is not going anywhere. They did not force you to apply to Covenant University

IKR, I'm still gonna apply to CU this year even if they enforce skincut as the official haircut of the school grin since there's no Nigerian university I'd rather go to.
But we have to be truthful and point out the fact that using two clipper(like i saw in the video) for everyone is bad.
The least they could have done was send the boys to their hostels to bring their personal clippers for the shaving cheesy.
Re: Covenant University's Track Record Of Abuse And The Irresponsibility Of NUC by SammieJayh(m): 12:42pm On Apr 04, 2018
Makino:
The school itself is not bad in terms of academics, principles and learning environment. However, there are certain people (in student council or lecturers) who by virtue of their position, have decided to take matters into their own hands and commit all sorts of atrocities in the bid to exercise their authority over the students. These are the culprits, not the school authorities. You know the saying "absolute power corrupts absolutely". These people need to be reprimanded and brought to book. Trust me, this is the absolute truth!!!....coming from someone who schooled there.

I'm not a student yet but I agree, a friend told me the new DSA is shitty AF and is trying to out do Azu.
Re: Covenant University's Track Record Of Abuse And The Irresponsibility Of NUC by SammieJayh(m): 12:47pm On Apr 04, 2018
uyiekpenn:
I'm currently suing the school I graduated from for its incompetence, negligence and ineptitude.

Please what school is this?
Re: Covenant University's Track Record Of Abuse And The Irresponsibility Of NUC by Germanpoison1: 12:57pm On Apr 04, 2018
Religious intolerance is not only when christians wage a crusade against moslems or moslems wage a Jihad against christians, when a christian or a moslem wants to intimidate or corerce an atheist , a free thinker or a traditionalist into his or her own religion, simply becos they belong to the "minority" group in terms of there number in a particular environment, hence, they tend to remain quiet or go unnoticed, it is called religious intolerance. When a particular Christian sect begins to feel that his or her own denomination or doctrine is more superior to the other and moves around dealing with people with such mindset, it is religious intolerance, same goes with a particular Islamic sect that moves around relating to people with such mindset.An atheist or free thinker with such mentality is equally guilty.When you wake up in the early hours of the morning with a public address system to disturb your neighbourhood with shouts of praises and preaching when some people are having there quiet time , some are still managing to initiate sleep, and some are trying to catch up with there studies in view of their exams, and anybody that confronts you to soft pedal is branded a witch or wizard, that is religious intolerance. You are not different from that bar or club owner that is disturbing the neighbourhood with loud music, they are all noise pollution.When you enter a public transport in a journey of 3hrs and want to preach, pray and sing throughout the whole journey strictly according to your own pattern of prayer, ordering that nobody should answer call or do any other thing, and any body that does otherwise is labelled a witch that wants to cause accident, that is religious intolerance.When you mount large speakers in front of your church or mosque to disturb the serenity of the neighbourhood with noises of preaching , singing and speaking in strange languages, yet the church may not even have up to 20 persons , hence, no need for a public address system, and you think you are doing it for God, you are disturbing your neighbourhood.when you coerce your workers and insist that they must join in group prayers/night vigils in your organisation strictly according to your own pattern of worship without respecting there individual religious ideology or faith, even when it was never part of the terms of appointment, and when they refuse you label the person a demon/agent of darkness, that is religious intolerance.When you mount large speakers in front of your gate and every where around the building simply because your church approved your compound to be used for cell fellowship with a congregation that is barely up to 20 in number, and you mount this speakers even on the staircase without considering the comfort of your tenants even when it was never part of the tenancy agreement, that is religious intolerance. When you coerce all your tenants to participate in night vigils every month according to your own pattern of prayer, and anybody that refuses is labelled a tyrant, that is religious intolerance. Religious intolerance is when you think that your own religious ideology is the best and feel that others won't make heaven. You see many of us are guilty of this thing called Religious Persecution. We do it in one way or the other thinking we re fighting for God. Remember, you practise what ever religion you are practising today because you were born and subjected to a particular environment, or because of the conviction you are privileged to have , its all about faith, you don't have the right to fight another person's faith or label another person inferior because of what he or she has chosen to believe. I am a Christian today because of the strong conviction I still have in Jesus Christ irrespective of the trials that come with it, but I still have very wonderful and good hearted friends with different religious beliefs,and, these people have touched my life in marvelous ways.The truth is that most people want to please God today simply because of the promises attached to it, because of the things they stand to gain here on earth and finally in heaven after reaping the dividends of the earth fully, that is why many people that claim to love God will choose to remain in this earth instead of agreeing to die now now and go to heaven straight and meet the God they so much love without even passing through "purgatory"., This is the reason behind all these religious wars everywhere that is wreaking havoc on this earth...It is simply the SELF at work. We should learn to respect other people's religious ideologies and avoid bringing up religious matters in public gatherings of people with diverse interests, it shows religious maturity. For those of us that believe in God, let us remember always that we re no God, if He never wanted all these religious dichotomies He wouldn't have allowed it , may be if we were all united it would have been easy to build another Tower of Babel . The last time I checked the scripture, I remember Him saying that the battle is His and not ours so let us stop making Him appear weak before mortal men, because even in the midst of all these religious noise everywhere, things seem to get worse by the day, so, it calls for reflection. Believe what ever you want to believe, live peaceful among your fellow men and when people see you they will want to get closer to you to know the stuff you are made of. Action speaks louder than words......SHALOM.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Covenant University's Track Record Of Abuse And The Irresponsibility Of NUC by SammieJayh(m): 1:04pm On Apr 04, 2018
Pataricatering:
i don’t blame covenant university ! It is the idiotic parents who pay money to have the dignity and self-esteem of their children stripped under the guise of discipline!

No. my own very sensible father(idiotic as you may call him) pays for me to get quality education away from the bribery, sexual harassment, nepotism and all other shits present in your first class schools(UNILAG, OAU,UI) in a very conducive environment where I don't get to be worried about getting seats in class or providing my own power.
Re: Covenant University's Track Record Of Abuse And The Irresponsibility Of NUC by SammieJayh(m): 1:07pm On Apr 04, 2018
bjbukzy:

Lol.....once i saw the tweets yesterday, my mind went to mr guda and his scissors.
U attended nnssabk?

LOL, I attended NNSSOjo, but I know quite a few abk boys(some graduated from there while some had to run to Ojo to enjoy) cheesy
Re: Covenant University's Track Record Of Abuse And The Irresponsibility Of NUC by SammieJayh(m): 1:08pm On Apr 04, 2018
J2381:
Such nonsense. That's how they indoctrinate people's kids into their religious beliefs. I won't be surprised if NUC sweep this under the carpet, after all, Oyedepo has shown number without times he has very deep pockets.

How does the school indoctrinate people's kids, aren't they all(supposed to be) christians?
Re: Covenant University's Track Record Of Abuse And The Irresponsibility Of NUC by SammieJayh(m): 1:12pm On Apr 04, 2018
XaviDayo:
Cheap lies. You can't go into a man's house and tell him how you wat to live and be treated in that house. If you are not comfortable, the same thing to do is leave and don't ever come back. Convenant University like other private Universities were built on certain standards and the parents of the children going there are aware. How can u say NUC should do a secular to make attending religious activities in a religious institutions optional? Oga, if u wat optional, go to the federal schools around.

The part NUC needs to play is in. Regulating their fees. Shikenan..aside that...if u carry yourself go convenant, na u Sabi. U must be ready to kneel and greet and also attend all and I mean all religious activities. Shior
[color=#770077][/color]

NUC can't even regulate CU's fees when they clearly know how much it costs to run a school and there are even schools with 3 to 5 times the fees of CU.
Re: Covenant University's Track Record Of Abuse And The Irresponsibility Of NUC by possibility1234: 2:04pm On Apr 04, 2018
Since you refuse training at home, they will force it on you in school...Thou shall not lack training
Re: Covenant University's Track Record Of Abuse And The Irresponsibility Of NUC by tayoccu(m): 2:04pm On Apr 04, 2018
SpoiltVirgin:
This is not going anywhere. They did not force you to apply to Covenant University

you have no idea how fast rule evolve there, it's almost impossible to graduate from that school without getting into trouble
Re: Covenant University's Track Record Of Abuse And The Irresponsibility Of NUC by SammieJayh(m): 2:44pm On Apr 04, 2018
HigherEd:
Thank you. I'm sure they are already feeling the tweetstorm though.

IKR, the tweets were really much, and it's another opportunity for the bloggers to do their thing.
Re: Covenant University's Track Record Of Abuse And The Irresponsibility Of NUC by J2381: 2:50pm On Apr 04, 2018
SammieJayh:

How does the school indoctrinate people's kids, aren't they all(supposed to be) christians?
assumption they say, is the mother of all fvck ups.

1 Like

Re: Covenant University's Track Record Of Abuse And The Irresponsibility Of NUC by itu404(m): 2:54pm On Apr 04, 2018
Arrant nonsense! they want to import the indiscipline and cultism the federal and states UNIs. are known for, but no way! No one mentions the numerous first class products of the school nor the famous visiting professors. The erring students were warned before the eventual "battalion shave"; those who obeyed were not humiliated. It is a private school that desire standard and bend on ranking with the likes of Harvard, johns Hopkins, and Stanford. Therefore, they can not afford to cut corners.

1 Like

Re: Covenant University's Track Record Of Abuse And The Irresponsibility Of NUC by SammieJayh(m): 2:55pm On Apr 04, 2018
writerights:

I'm convinced there are a lot of other inhumane acts being committed by the school every day but would never see the light of the day. Knowing this is because it affects a large number of the students' populace.

I think if CU would continue in this grand commando style, It needs to enforce a complete clamp down on social media access and activities by her students, else, CU may be sitting on a huge keg of gun powder.

There is actually no justification at all for this barbaric act.

Yes a social media clamp down which is very impossible.
The stuff spread like wildfire, even to IG stories.

I hear most of the inhumane acts are committed by the DSA and if you talk back, you'll be charges with insubordination...

We're all complaining, but CU is just like an extension of the real world where you are expected to comply with the rules of your host community or face the consequences.
I'm not against the shaving of heads though, only against the usage of one clipper.

1 Like

Re: Covenant University's Track Record Of Abuse And The Irresponsibility Of NUC by SammieJayh(m): 3:01pm On Apr 04, 2018
J2381:
assumption they say, is the mother of all fvck ups.

Not in this case because its clearly a Christian school and its indicated in the handbook that chapel defaulters are liable to face expulsion.

So by default if you arent a christian, you apply at your own risk and must bend to their rules(doctrines). So its not even forceful indoctrination(case no dey here)

If I attend Al-Hikmah, I'm expected to go to the mosque.
My aunt turned down a Qatar visa a few years ago because she couldn't live by their rules.

If you don't want indoctrination, then go to ABUAD, AUN, BAZE, Turkish Nile, Elizade e.t.c. and don't come here wailing about CU.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Covenant University's Track Record Of Abuse And The Irresponsibility Of NUC by HRHQueenPhil(f): 3:14pm On Apr 04, 2018
their website has all their rules written dere, u can go and read it, hairstyle and grooming is very important there. before students apply to the school, go and read dier by laws. dats why banks are defrauding customers becos dey wont read d terms and conditions
Bifrost:
Is there anywhere in CU's student handbook where it is forbidden to keep a neatly groomed Afro?

What am I saying? How is the length of one's hair an index of one's spirituality or intelligence?

So, this also means someone with natural dreadlocks can't attend Covenant University?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Alleged Extremist Group In OAU Has Support Of Buhari’s Cabinet Member – DSA / Panel Clears FUTO Over Appointment Of Pantami As Professor Of Cybersecurity / FG Suspends UNN Chairman Of Governing Council

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.