Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,389 members, 7,808,376 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:07 AM

Oprah's School Is A "prison" Claims Students And Parents - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Oprah's School Is A "prison" Claims Students And Parents (2527 Views)

Oprah Winfrey Offers Lindsay Lohan $2million To Interview Her / Photo Of The Day : Home Of Oprah Winfrey / Oprah Winfrey Calls Kim Kardashian A Fraudulent And Selfish Celebrity (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Oprah's School Is A "prison" Claims Students And Parents by ThiefOfHearts(f): 10:50pm On Mar 12, 2007
Oprah's school 'too strict'
11/03/2007 18:39 - (SA)

Gavin Prins

Johannesburg - The rules at Oprah Winfrey's ultra-posh school at Henley-on-Klip near Johannesburg are apparently so strict they make a reformatory look like a holiday resort.

That's the word from upset parents, who say the school rules make it difficult for them to keep contact with their children.

They would have aired their concerns during a satellite link-up with the chat show queen a week ago, but that was cancelled at short notice by the school's management body.

Meanwhile the school seems to have made the rules even stricter. Until now, the girls could receive visitors every fortnight, but parents can now only visit them once a month.

Frances Mans, foster mother of Gweneth Mulder, said last week she would take her daughter out of the school if the rules were not changed.

'Surely this isn't a prison?'

Cellphones and e-mail correspondence are out of bounds during the week, and girls are only allowed to phone their parents at weekends.

The maximum number of visitors per pupil is four, and visits have to be approved by the school at least two weeks in advance.

Mans said she had to wait at the security gate for half an hour to be signed in when she went to visit her daughter last Sunday.

"It was a nightmare. We had only two hours to see my child. Surely this isn't a prison or an institution?"

The names of visitors must also match those on the security guard's list before guests are allowed in.

Parents are not allowed to smuggle junk food in to the girls past the matrons.

"Then the girls lose points," says Mans.

The girls get points for "good behaviour", which they can exchange at a school shop for clothes and caps.

No treats allowed

"The poor children are not even allowed to have any treats. Their diet is fruit, yoghurt and sandwiches. When they go on holiday for a month in April they'll be stuffing themselves with sweets and chocolates in any case."

Angela Conradie, whose daughter Michelle is at the school, says she's just as upset about the strict visiting times.

"Michelle phones me in tears sometimes, and then I don't know what to say to her," says Conradie.

John Samuels, the executive head of the school, confirmed that only one visit a month would be allowed in future.

This means that if a girl has five siblings, she will only be able to see all of them over a period of three months.

Samuels says he sees nothing wrong with the system.

"We have the security and well-being of the girls at heart, in every respect. They are our priority. If there's too much movement on the premises at the weekend, it disturbs the school spirit."

Source: South Africa News 24
Re: Oprah's School Is A "prison" Claims Students And Parents by ThiefOfHearts(f): 10:51pm On Mar 12, 2007
Hm, how do you go from being an orphan with barely no food or whatever to expecting "treats"?
Re: Oprah's School Is A "prison" Claims Students And Parents by WesleyanA(f): 10:59pm On Mar 12, 2007
lol

South Africans never liked the plan at the onset anyways.
If it's a "prison", transfer your kids to another school. that easy

but many of the rules definitely are harsh.
Re: Oprah's School Is A "prison" Claims Students And Parents by ThiefOfHearts(f): 11:09pm On Mar 12, 2007
The main thing I disagree with is the visitation. I mean these girls were in horrid situations and the only people they ever relied on has been their family so separating them from these people for so long isnt exactly fair

but didnt they say that after graduation, Oprah's also gonna pay for their univeristy fees?
Re: Oprah's School Is A "prison" Claims Students And Parents by sisimose(f): 11:12pm On Mar 12, 2007
sorry this is typical of SA's .
you just can't please some people sha. I wish Oprah built that school in Naija or kenya. rubbish, how can they have so much and still moan(if this story is true anyway)
Re: Oprah's School Is A "prison" Claims Students And Parents by 4Play(m): 11:20pm On Mar 12, 2007
This is a "non-story".When I was in Secondary school(FGC Enugu),visiting day was the last Saturday of every month.We certainly did not have yoghurt  and sandwiches .

Comparisons to prisons are ridiculous.The students have a choice which prisoners don't-they can get out  the school and join another school or stop going to school entirely.Its their choice.

The story sounds like a smear campaign on Oprah.Usually the journalist,finds one or two parents,out of hundreds, willing to complain while trying to convey the impression of widespread discontent.Interestingly only 2 parents actually raised questions in the story .
Re: Oprah's School Is A "prison" Claims Students And Parents by sisimose(f): 11:29pm On Mar 12, 2007
The story sounds like a smear campaign on Oprah.Usually the journalist,finds one or two parents,out of hundreds, willing to complain while trying to convey the impression of widespread discontent.Interestingly only 2 parents actually raised questions in the story .

yes
Re: Oprah's School Is A "prison" Claims Students And Parents by omoge(f): 11:57pm On Mar 12, 2007
they are complaining, instead of them to focus on school they are complaing,

education is the most important thing a girl could give herself.

those experiences if true are not worst than what many experienced in a private school or schools in those days. i think visitors/parents/friends from outside are distraction. they can always wait to see them during holidays.

you are going to a school where no penny from your poor family, free food, books etc and they are complaining,

abeg give them all more HOMEWORK.
Re: Oprah's School Is A "prison" Claims Students And Parents by sisimose(f): 12:25am On Mar 13, 2007
abeg give them all more HOMEWORK.

Good talk, thank you. silly people grin
Re: Oprah's School Is A "prison" Claims Students And Parents by Free(f): 12:53am On Mar 13, 2007
aaah aaah

what kinda rules is this

the parents can see their children onces a month
they should be allowed to see them whenever they want
i dnt think it woud mess with their studyin

but still doesnt make it a prison though grin grin

at oprahs school there are many many rules grin grin grin
Re: Oprah's School Is A "prison" Claims Students And Parents by omoge(f): 2:25am On Mar 13, 2007
To Whom Much Is Given, Much Is Expected.

It doesn't come easy. Hardwork requires alot of dedication. This same parents have been having their kids at home and
crying for education. Now here is free education whose only requirement is ''work harder'' and they are complaining.

''only the tough one survives'' they are yet to know this life is survival of the fittest.

Moi wonders if they want suck breast,
Re: Oprah's School Is A "prison" Claims Students And Parents by Ndipe(m): 2:51am On Mar 13, 2007
Ungrateful bunch of people. If they dont like the school, let them pack out. That's the school rule, minimized visiting days for students, to cut the number of loittering on campus. This goes to show you that some humans would always complain, no matter what.
Re: Oprah's School Is A "prison" Claims Students And Parents by shakamc(m): 3:03pm On Mar 14, 2007
@4play,which set u dey for fedi enugu?holla
4 Play:

This is a "non-story".When I was in Secondary school(FGC Enugu),visiting day was the last Saturday of every month.We certainly did not have yoghurt and sandwiches .

Comparisons to prisons are ridiculous.The students have a choice which prisoners don't-they can get out the school and join another school or stop going to school entirely.Its their choice.

Re: Oprah's School Is A "prison" Claims Students And Parents by redish: 3:22pm On Mar 14, 2007
its just most annoying to see people complain about standards in a world where we need more.As posted by Ndipe,they are certainly an ungratefullll bunch. Do they for one second think that Oprah does not have the children's interest at heart?I thought the students are supposed to be orphans so who now are all these parents complaining?
Re: Oprah's School Is A "prison" Claims Students And Parents by Ndipe(m): 11:00am On Mar 15, 2007
I wonder@redish. I read earlier that some of those students were orphaned, so parents being in the picture is a surprise to me. Let them do their kids a favor by withdrawing them from the school. I lived in boarding school for 6 years, and did not have the luxuries that the students are enjoying. What did they expect? To be pampered and coddled by Oprah. Goes to show you that some humans are ungrateful. Let them pack out to local schools, so they will be given access to see their parents
Re: Oprah's School Is A "prison" Claims Students And Parents by baby4u2(f): 3:28am On Mar 16, 2007
this is a typical situation in naija schools, fggc's to be precise. no be beg u for beg day students to call ur parents? which kin phone? was food even allowed? provisions where basic, whats sandwich and treats? anyway, Guess their not used to this life style, ship the school down to nigerian, as an extra touch add flogging/beating/koboko.
Re: Oprah's School Is A "prison" Claims Students And Parents by stunatic(m): 3:31am On Mar 16, 2007
chai i don suffer sha, this baby4u2 just fine like star, omoge u fine well welllooooo
Re: Oprah's School Is A "prison" Claims Students And Parents by baby4u2(f): 3:41am On Mar 16, 2007
thanks sweety
Re: Oprah's School Is A "prison" Claims Students And Parents by stunatic(m): 3:49am On Mar 16, 2007
so wetin deh with u babygurl, which part of naija u come from ?
Re: Oprah's School Is A "prison" Claims Students And Parents by baby4u2(f): 4:13am On Mar 16, 2007
sir, no bi the right place for this, sent u a mail.
Re: Oprah's School Is A "prison" Claims Students And Parents by stunatic(m): 4:37am On Mar 16, 2007
where ?
Re: Oprah's School Is A "prison" Claims Students And Parents by stunatic(m): 4:42am On Mar 16, 2007
iight got it

(1) (Reply)

Ngozi Ezeonu's Beautician / 11-year-old Yemeni Girl Nada Al-ahdal Flees Home To Avoid Forced Marriage: I'd R / Pictures From Jim Iykels Deliverance

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.