Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,486 members, 7,808,772 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:41 PM

42-year Old Panel Beater Redesigns Vw Beetle - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / 42-year Old Panel Beater Redesigns Vw Beetle (19092 Views)

On This Day In 1972; Beetle Became The World Best-selling Car / Help Me Build Solar Panel & Invecter / Inverter And Solar Panel Solution To Nigeria Electricity Failure (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

42-year Old Panel Beater Redesigns Vw Beetle by Ayemokhia: 9:48pm On May 07, 2010
The display of a locally redesigned Volkswagen Beeetle at the just concluded Abuja motor show may be a caricature of serious attempts by the nation to produce a truly Nigerian car, but experts agree that it is a commendable feat that should be encouraged, RASHEED BISIRIYU reports.
One of the revelations of the 12th edition of Abuja motor show is Modibbo Wagen, a locally assembled car deigned in the mode of Volkswagen Beetle.

But unlike the conventional Beetle which has two doors, the local model is built with four doors.

The producer, Mohammed Modibbo, is a 42 year old panel beater based in Zaki Biam, Benue State.

He recalled that the journey started in 2002. "As a panel beater blessed with talent," he said, "I had always thought of doing something unique. One day, I came up with the idea of building my own car. I designed it on a paper. I kept the sketch and continued to alter it for two years before coming up with the real car.

"It was adapted from the Volkswagen Beetle. But because it is longer than the ordinary Beetle, I had to do some adjustment to the pedal, the clutch and gear selector."

The car, which was constructed over a period of two years, was driven all the way from Zaki Biam to the Eagle Square, venue of the motor show in Abuja.

It understandable became the cynosure of all eyes as visitors to the event could not but notice the vehicle displayed at the centre of the fair ground with the maker himself on ground to take interested people through the story of what may be called his humble contribution to the development of auto industry in Nigeria.

According to Modibbo, "I used the doors of two Volkswagen cars for the vehicle. The size of the car has also been increased. And the engine capacity is also changed to that of Danfo bus, another vehicle produced by the Volkswagen, which can carry between 10 and 15 passengers,

"Due to the increase in the weight and size of the car, it needs extra engine to move it well. The car is therefore built with 1.6litre engine."

Having altered the specification of the original Beetle, people may doubt the safety of the car. But he has a ready answer to that, saying, "It is 100 per cent safe. I can even remove my hands from the steering when driving for some minutes to show its stability. I had done some perfection on the tyre alignment before assembling other parts."

Speaking further on the uniqueness of the new vehicle, Modibbo says apart from giving it two additional doors, there is a table affixed to the back seats for the comfort of passengers at the back, which they can use for eating or relaxing the legs.

The seats of the Modibbo Wagen are also different from the normal Beetle. The dashboard too is unique. Although the car has no air conditioner, it comes with a fan.

Modibbo cannot really recollect the cost of building the car as the parts were assembled at different time, some constructed over a period of two years.

But he says with less than N1m, he could build a similar car within six three to six months.

Driving the car all the way from Zaki Biam to Abuja, he had encountered a number of law enforcement agents.

According to him, "Whenever they stopped me and asked about the car, I told them I designed it. They would show some amazement, congratulate me and ask me to go."

Modibbo's effort is coming about a year after Acting President Goodluck Jonathan had challenged stakeholders in the automobile industry to work towards producing the nation's first car.

Interestingly, the charge was made at the 11th Abuja motor show held at the same venue last year when Jonathan, then a vice president came to the event to represent President Umar Yar'adua.

A major breakthrough, which was a follow up to the call came in the last quarter of last year from an Nnewi-based privately-owned, indigenous firm, Innoson Vehicle Manufacturing Company, which assembled a bus relying on technical expertise of some Chinese automobile engineers.

His plan was to start with 20 different models of the brand, followed by mini trucks and other products in accordance with the market demand.

Innoson Chairman, Chief Innocent Chukwuma, said that the idea was to produce vehicles that would be so competitively to make imported second-hand models popularly called Tokunbo unattractive.

Managing Director, BKG Exhibition, Mr. Ifeanyichukwu Agwu, whose firm organised the motor fair, commended the two efforts, describing the feat as part of the objectives of the annual auto show.

He said the objectives of the fair were to stimulate the enormous potential in the automobile, parts and accessories market in the country and work towards making Nigeria the hub of automobile business in Africa.

This, he stressed was beside the primary aim of using the forum as a veritable opportunity for participants to display their products and meet the general public in one place, as well as serve as a forum for the players to have feedback on their products and services.

Agwu said that Modibbo should be encouraged in order to spur other people with similar idea.

As part of the contribution by his company, he had directed that a donation box be placed near the displaced Modibbo Wagen for people to drop their token cash gifts.

But Modibbo missed the opportunity of getting a prompt approval of the Federal Government at the motor show as he came a day after the opening ceremony to the fair ground when the Minister of State for Commerce and Industry came to declare it open on behalf of the Acting President.

The efforts to manufacture a truly Nigerian car started before the establishment of Volkswagen of Nigeria and Peugeot Automobile Nigeria in the early '70s.

According to the Acting President, in a speech sent to the last Abuja motor show, "The idea of inviting these two car manufacturers was not only to locate their factories or assembly plants in Nigeria, but to transfer technology and sow the seed for the indigenous Nigerian car."

Other automobile assemblers, including Anambra Motor Manufacturing Company in Enugu producers of the Mercedes luxury buses, Leyland in Ibadan and Steyr, producers of tractors in Bauchi were later to join. Even as many of them have become shadow of their glorious past, none could produce a truly Nigerian vehicle the nation really yearned for.

Re: 42-year Old Panel Beater Redesigns Vw Beetle by skfa1: 9:51pm On May 07, 2010
Good Job, lovely cheesy cheesy
Re: 42-year Old Panel Beater Redesigns Vw Beetle by MsTom(f): 12:05am On May 08, 2010
***Speechless***
Re: 42-year Old Panel Beater Redesigns Vw Beetle by Cogito(m): 1:13pm On May 13, 2010
Absolutely amazing, I love the old school vibe,
Re: 42-year Old Panel Beater Redesigns Vw Beetle by wales2007(m): 10:19am On May 14, 2010
This is really amazing.

Keep this up brother cos u are a challenge to some of us (Mechanical Engineers).

God will continue to increase ur knowledge as u make us proud to be a true Nigerian
Re: 42-year Old Panel Beater Redesigns Vw Beetle by OAM4J: 4:06am On May 15, 2010
Whao! love this creativity.
Re: 42-year Old Panel Beater Redesigns Vw Beetle by ajadudu: 4:18am On May 15, 2010
If you were around in the early 80's you will know that VW actually manufactured the beetle in that shape. EXACTLY
This dude just found a junked beetle model like that and beat it back to life. Meh!
Zero creativity, 100% copy copy. Next,

1 Like

Re: 42-year Old Panel Beater Redesigns Vw Beetle by OAM4J: 4:30am On May 15, 2010
ajadudu:

If you were around in the early 80's you will know that VW actually manufactured the beetle in that shape. EXACTLY
This dude just found a junked beetle model like that and beat it back to life. Meh!

I was around in the early 80's, but never saw a beetle of that look.

Do us a favour of checking the internet or anywhere for pictures of beetles in the 80's that look like that and post it.
Re: 42-year Old Panel Beater Redesigns Vw Beetle by seedord247(m): 4:34am On May 15, 2010
E go better, I love this
Re: 42-year Old Panel Beater Redesigns Vw Beetle by bawomolo(m): 4:34am On May 15, 2010
i got to admit it looks fly
Re: 42-year Old Panel Beater Redesigns Vw Beetle by moonraker(m): 4:52am On May 15, 2010
the front side looks like an old rolls royce,
Re: 42-year Old Panel Beater Redesigns Vw Beetle by ajadudu: 5:03am On May 15, 2010
OAM4J:

I was around in the early 80's, but never saw a beetle of that look.

Do us a favour of checking the internet or anywhere for pictures of beetles in the 80's that look like that and post it.

You no sabi use google yourself? Which part of naija were you in the 80's? I know for sure the car was a rave in Lagos at a time and I wished my dad had one  grin

Anyway, here is a link of an older one from the 60's (note the tail light), probably the model the naija VW company copied in the 80's

http://www.oldbug.com/rolls.htm
Re: 42-year Old Panel Beater Redesigns Vw Beetle by OAM4J: 5:15am On May 15, 2010
^^^  Good.

It is your duty to use google to back your claims.

Now I have spur you to make a proper claim with evidence

Everyone (including those born after 8o's) can now attempt to agree with u.

So you should thank me.  cool grin

But we are still not sure that he didnt convert the common model to this.
Re: 42-year Old Panel Beater Redesigns Vw Beetle by samir101ng(m): 5:33am On May 15, 2010
ajadudu:

Credit must be given where it is due. Did VW create the Beetle in the picture ? No ! Therefore, its not the same 80's VW Beatle. The man has simply modified the Beatle to an image he wanted. That's creativity. If na beans, do am now. Typical nigerian mentality. We cannot even appreciate the small rough diamonds that we have. Imagine, what he could have done with the proper educational background.

@ Post,
More grease to your elbows and well done. Many people will appreciate your efforts. Keep it up and may God bring you success.
Re: 42-year Old Panel Beater Redesigns Vw Beetle by astuto: 5:41am On May 15, 2010
Most impressive. Look, eh, this country shall be great again someday. At this rate, it shall be sooner than you think.
Re: 42-year Old Panel Beater Redesigns Vw Beetle by Youngichou(m): 6:16am On May 15, 2010
Lol nairalanders will never seize to amaze me
Re: 42-year Old Panel Beater Redesigns Vw Beetle by comechop(m): 6:35am On May 15, 2010
The guy has so much potential that sadly may not be realized to its fullest in Nigeria. God help him
Re: 42-year Old Panel Beater Redesigns Vw Beetle by texazzpete(m): 6:44am On May 15, 2010
ajadudu:

ajadudu:

You no sabi use google yourself? Which part of naija were you in the 80's? I know for sure the car was a rave in Lagos at a time and I wished my dad had one  grin

Anyway, here is a link of an older one from the 60's (note the tail light), probably the model the naija VW company copied in the 80's

http://www.oldbug.com/rolls.htm

Your link clearly stated that that trim was NOT manufactured by VW, but was slapped on by a modder in a similar vein of creativity like this naija fellow. How the heck could you fail to see that? Even in the photos, you can clearly see that both models are different!
If basic comprehension skills elude you, please inform us so we can put together the monies for your Night classes (considering your age)

1 Like

Re: 42-year Old Panel Beater Redesigns Vw Beetle by SLIGHT(m): 6:55am On May 15, 2010
Amazing!
Re: 42-year Old Panel Beater Redesigns Vw Beetle by Remii(m): 6:55am On May 15, 2010
Not discounting the guy's effort, he did a god job.Similar effort has always been around. am man in Maiduguri in early 80s constructed and aircraft body. Technology must be repeatable and cost effective to be appealing these days, not just a one off deal.
Nigeria need to resuscitate our steel rolling mills and machine tools companies. A visit to Osogbo Steel Rolling and Delta Steel Aladja, among others, would make one cry for this country. So much money spent to establish these plants that are in ruins now.
Re: 42-year Old Panel Beater Redesigns Vw Beetle by 247electrical: 6:56am On May 15, 2010
Very impressive, ! shocked
Re: 42-year Old Panel Beater Redesigns Vw Beetle by Chidoxyl(m): 7:04am On May 15, 2010
How can I get dis machine?
Re: 42-year Old Panel Beater Redesigns Vw Beetle by e36991: 7:10am On May 15, 2010
ajadudu:

Re: 42-year Old Panel Beater Redesigns Vw Beetle by dipo2much(m): 7:30am On May 15, 2010
look too alike
Re: 42-year Old Panel Beater Redesigns Vw Beetle by Suntemi(m): 7:42am On May 15, 2010
dipo2much:

look too alike
Sorry do urs too.

ajadudu:

Bed belle people After reading the first post I already knew someone will say something like this. Naija mentality.
Re: 42-year Old Panel Beater Redesigns Vw Beetle by deybour: 7:52am On May 15, 2010
awesome!
Re: 42-year Old Panel Beater Redesigns Vw Beetle by Bluemoon1(f): 7:53am On May 15, 2010
If he really did that, amazing,
Re: 42-year Old Panel Beater Redesigns Vw Beetle by Suntemi(m): 7:56am On May 15, 2010
deybour:

awesome!

And thats a good comment.
Re: 42-year Old Panel Beater Redesigns Vw Beetle by semid4lyfe(m): 8:14am On May 15, 2010
Brilliant!
Re: 42-year Old Panel Beater Redesigns Vw Beetle by Ekykool(m): 8:21am On May 15, 2010
well pimped bro wink
Re: 42-year Old Panel Beater Redesigns Vw Beetle by magnumshie: 8:25am On May 15, 2010
Some people exist here only 2condemn.they ve decide 2close their minds to any good thing which this profer.typical mech engr&profesor will only design a common radiator on paper not in reality,u are here condemning an applaudable effort.
keep it up man,may God help u 4total acceptability.
Re: 42-year Old Panel Beater Redesigns Vw Beetle by litehouse: 8:38am On May 15, 2010
This is creativity at its best! Food 4 thought 4 the bad belle people, Can u panel beat a 2-door car into a 4-door car? Pls go and sleep!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Nature's Stylus! - The Carrot / Photo Of Giant Snake (55ft): Biggest Snake In The World / Algae Converted To Crude Oil In Under An Hour-see Picture And Video

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.