Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,257 members, 7,807,887 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 09:46 PM

13 Things To Know About The Niger Bridge - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / 13 Things To Know About The Niger Bridge (26529 Views)

Onitsha From First And Second Niger Bridge (photos) / Life Lager Beer Lightens Up The Niger Bridge (Photos) / Onitsha Niger Bridge In 1967 And 2019 (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

13 Things To Know About The Niger Bridge by AutoJoshNG: 5:09pm On Apr 05, 2018
1. The Niger Bridge is also called the “Onitsha Bridge” or “River Niger Bridge”.

2. The Bridge connects Onitsha in Anambra State to Asaba in Delta state.

3. The Niger bridge is about 1, 400 meters long.

4. The Niger Bridge is one of Nigeria’s long lasting national landmarks.

5. In the 1950s, Dutch Company, the Netherlands Engineering Consultants of The Hague, Holland (NEDECO), carried out a feasibility study and the design for the bridge.

6. The French construction company, Dumez, constructed the Bridge.

7. It took about a year (1964 to 1965) to complete the construction of the River Niger Bridge. The bridge was completed on December 1965.

8. The cost of the construction of the Niger Bridge was £6.75 million.

9. The Niger Bridge was 8×420 ft. with a carriageway of 36 feet centre-truss. It also had a pedestrian walkway on both sides of the carriageway.

10. The Niger Bridge was commissioned by the then Prime Minister of Nigeria, Sir Tafawa Balewa, and was opened for traffic in December 1965.

11. The commissioning of the bridge was the last public function of the Prime Minister before his assassination on January 15, 1966.

12. During the Nigerian Civil War of 1967 – 1970, in an attempt to halt the Nigerian military advance, retreating Biafran soldiers destroyed the River Niger Bridge at Onitsha, trapping the Nigerians on the Asaba side of the river.

13. During President Goodluck Ebele Jonathan administration, the bridge was rehabilitated by replacing two spans on the Onitsha end.

Source:

https://autojosh.com/13-things-to-know-about-the-niger-bridge/

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 13 Things To Know About The Niger Bridge by Mariangeles(f): 5:15pm On Apr 05, 2018
Interesting...
That feeling of knowing you're almost home when crossing Niger bridge

183 Likes 5 Shares

Re: 13 Things To Know About The Niger Bridge by IME1: 5:15pm On Apr 05, 2018
wink
If you have never crossed this bridge click share
If you have ever used bike on this bridge quote me
If you have passed this bridge ruggedly (driven yourself, passed with bicycle, overtaken on it, been inside hold up, walked on it, passed Dec 23rd, passed 9pm) grin click like

113 Likes 43 Shares

Re: 13 Things To Know About The Niger Bridge by Rapmaestro(m): 5:27pm On Apr 05, 2018
Nice..
Re: 13 Things To Know About The Niger Bridge by iambijo(m): 5:39pm On Apr 05, 2018
Mariangeles:
Interesting...
the feeling that am far away from home (north) when i was on it going for nysc.

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: 13 Things To Know About The Niger Bridge by Mariangeles(f): 6:14pm On Apr 05, 2018
iambijo:
the feeling that am far away from home (north) when i was on it going for nysc.
Yeah...different strokes

15 Likes

Re: 13 Things To Know About The Niger Bridge by kokakola: 6:18pm On Apr 05, 2018
A bridge that one cannot cross to Europe, is that one a Brigde...

36 Likes

Re: 13 Things To Know About The Niger Bridge by NwaAmaikpe: 6:18pm On Apr 05, 2018
shocked

FACT 14

The bridge is long overdue to have a brother but the Federal Government does not give a damn about it because it is in the South Eastern part of Nigeria.

If Lagos can have 4 mainland bridges, why should Onitsha and the gateway to Eastern Nigeria have just one?

100 Likes 8 Shares

Re: 13 Things To Know About The Niger Bridge by Nobody: 6:19pm On Apr 05, 2018
Nothing new or interesting about these facts undecided

3 Likes

Re: 13 Things To Know About The Niger Bridge by kings09(m): 6:20pm On Apr 05, 2018
Buhari sef
Re: 13 Things To Know About The Niger Bridge by x6blade(m): 6:20pm On Apr 05, 2018
still built by the whites

2 Likes

Re: 13 Things To Know About The Niger Bridge by youngguru23(m): 6:21pm On Apr 05, 2018
Re: 13 Things To Know About The Niger Bridge by kings09(m): 6:22pm On Apr 05, 2018
kokakola:

Try shifting it to Libya

8 Likes

Re: 13 Things To Know About The Niger Bridge by Nobody: 6:22pm On Apr 05, 2018
You can't compare it with third mainland bridge
Re: 13 Things To Know About The Niger Bridge by Germandude: 6:22pm On Apr 05, 2018
Too much hold up before and after the bridge.but its beautiful and carefully designed

6 Likes

Re: 13 Things To Know About The Niger Bridge by SoNature(m): 6:23pm On Apr 05, 2018
I still consider it the most beautiful in Nigeria.

Lekki/Ikoyi Bridge is another beauty to behold

6 Likes

Re: 13 Things To Know About The Niger Bridge by Iamthoney(m): 6:23pm On Apr 05, 2018
Mariangeles:
Interesting...
You can say that again

7 Likes

Re: 13 Things To Know About The Niger Bridge by okpala95(m): 6:23pm On Apr 05, 2018
Before the bridge was constructed, which road where people passing before

4 Likes

Re: 13 Things To Know About The Niger Bridge by kings09(m): 6:23pm On Apr 05, 2018
skarlett:
Nothing new or interesting about these facts undecided

Wat were u expecting.... Dat it was built by buhari

3 Likes

Re: 13 Things To Know About The Niger Bridge by ruggedized1: 6:24pm On Apr 05, 2018
OP, it is called ONITSHA BRIDGE.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: 13 Things To Know About The Niger Bridge by jerryunit48: 6:25pm On Apr 05, 2018
Yeah Asaba is my home and Onitsha is where I go shopping sometimes when I come home ...

13 Likes

Re: 13 Things To Know About The Niger Bridge by id4sho(m): 6:25pm On Apr 05, 2018
i here by advocate for renaming of the bridge "SIR ABUBAKAR TAFA BALEWA".

11. The commissioning of the bridge was the last public function of the Prime Minister before his assassination on January 15, 1966.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: 13 Things To Know About The Niger Bridge by Nobody: 6:26pm On Apr 05, 2018
kings09:

Wat were u expecting.... Dat it was built by buhari

What is a Buhari Is that the name of an animal, place or thing undecided

5 Likes

Re: 13 Things To Know About The Niger Bridge by Holywizard: 6:28pm On Apr 05, 2018
When ever I'm coming back from Lagos and I approached the bridge, I'll be like grin grin

10 Likes

Re: 13 Things To Know About The Niger Bridge by Nobody: 6:28pm On Apr 05, 2018
kokakola:

you no go kill me with grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

4 Likes

Re: 13 Things To Know About The Niger Bridge by ayooz(m): 6:29pm On Apr 05, 2018
SoNature:
I still consider it the most beautiful in Nigeria.

Lekki/Ikoyi Bridge is another beauty to behold

I agree.
Re: 13 Things To Know About The Niger Bridge by Nobody: 6:29pm On Apr 05, 2018
okpala95:
Before the bridge was constructed, which road where people passing before
we swim and back our vehicles cheesy

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: 13 Things To Know About The Niger Bridge by ogochukwu247(f): 6:29pm On Apr 05, 2018
U ARE RIGHT.. THE FEELINGS JUST OVERSHADOWED ME NOW..
Mariangeles:
Interesting...

6 Likes

Re: 13 Things To Know About The Niger Bridge by Tonytonex(m): 6:29pm On Apr 05, 2018
THAT'S NOT ALL. THE MOST IMPORTANT PART IS THAT IT DOESN'T HAVE A SINGLE PILLAR SUPPORTING IT FROM THE RIVER.
Re: 13 Things To Know About The Niger Bridge by thundafire: 6:30pm On Apr 05, 2018
But current construction cost 4 second bridge is absolutely amazing
Re: 13 Things To Know About The Niger Bridge by Avoidsexxx(m): 6:31pm On Apr 05, 2018
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

FACT 14

The bridge is long overdue to have a brother but the Federal Government does not give a damn about it because it is in the South Eastern part of Nigeria.

If Lagos can have 4 mainland bridges, why should Onitsha and the gateway to Eastern Nigeria have just one?
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

FACT 14

NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

FACT 14

je suis d'accord avec toi

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Current Situation In South Korea! / Lagos Ride: Lagos State Unveils Ride-Hailing Taxi Scheme / You Need A National Identification Number To Get The New International Passport

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.