Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,182 members, 7,807,580 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 03:42 PM

Should A Husband & Wife Share One Bank Account? - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Should A Husband & Wife Share One Bank Account? (4049 Views)

How Can I Link My BVN Account From One Bank To My Other Accounts? / How To Check Your Bank Account Balance Using Your Mobile Phone / Can One Deposit Bank Draft Of One Bank Into A Savings Account Of Another Bank? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should A Husband & Wife Share One Bank Account? by Scrambled: 1:55am On May 08, 2010
I have read quite a few answers re my subject (basically all negative), but the reason why I feel I should be discussing this is due to the following reason(s) & 'cause I'm confused and would like anyone out there to explain to me why my husband do not agree with me. Unfortunately I have to give a little bit of background so you's can no where I'm coming from,
I was employed at a Government Institution from 1989-02-27 to 2009-04-30. The reason I left (with my husbands approval) was because I was working my behind off (overtime with no payment) and there was by far too much corruption taking place. The latter was addressed but the culprits just had a way not to answer for their horrible actions. They use to receive an X about of money under the table, selling their own Birth country to illegal foreigners. Not thinking of the implications, i.e. unemployment, child grand, housing etc.
I've been a housewife for just over a year now, and believe me, IT IS WONDERFUL. Less stress and I have time to attend to our son's sport activities as well as attending to everything at home that I use to neglect. I also have to mention that being a housewife does not mean you sleep late and just hover around the whole day. It is quite an adventure and a big responsibility.
To get back to the actual point, Since I resigned I do not earn a salary, meaning, only my husband brings home the bacon. Now and then an X amount is transfered to my account for this and that (this and that always runs down to the household I never ever abuse). I'm not the tipe of person to hang around in town and search for something to buy, it irritates the hell out of me. Because I only have a limited amount in my account my husband gave me his card to use. Not everyone checks the cards for signature so I got away with it quite a few times, but lately everywhere you go they want to know if it is my card or not (hallo, obviously I can't lie) and thy check the signature (which is a good thing). Today, on request of my husband, I went to buy a cover for his car. When I produced his card the lady questioned me and I admitted that it was my husbands card. She refused to help me and I had to make use of mine. When my husband returned form work I discussed the matter with him and explained to him it makes me feel like a criminal cause they look at you as of you are misusing someones card. I then suggested to him that we should apply for a joined account where both of us would get a card on one account. I did not see a problem with it as I am using his card on a daily basis (with his knowledge). He totally refused and came up with some lame excuses that even our son would have a great laugh about, although, I was not laughing I was hurt deeply!!! I do not understand where the problem lies, cause if I have an account where he submits an x amount of money in and if we have a joined account, WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE? It is still HIS BACON!!!!!!!!!!! Please could someone just explain to this narrow minded person why it is such an issue!!
Re: Should A Husband & Wife Share One Bank Account? by Nobody: 7:04pm On May 15, 2010
Re: Should A Husband & Wife Share One Bank Account? by Fhemmmy: 3:25am On May 17, 2010
There is a con to it as well as a pro to it.
The Con is, if yawa gas, y'all are in trouble.
Re: Should A Husband & Wife Share One Bank Account? by Aadeyinka(m): 12:33pm On May 21, 2010
NO,FOR SECURITY REASON and for a man to be a man should run its account separately.
Re: Should A Husband & Wife Share One Bank Account? by Nobody: 1:14pm On May 21, 2010
Re: Should A Husband & Wife Share One Bank Account? by Sibams(f): 1:04am On May 22, 2010
It's a damn shame if a husband can't trust his wife enough to share an account with her. I don't want to seem quick to assume but women these days sha.
Tricky situation.
Re: Should A Husband & Wife Share One Bank Account? by wazobiang: 11:27am On May 26, 2010
guys are averse to joint accounts. some men even feel its dumb. if you pressure your man too much, he'd start being suspicious of exactly nothing. thats bad, trust me. what you should do, tell ur hubby you don't like being left without money to do this and that so he needs to ensure that your personal account is funded to x amount that will cover for all estimated daily needs and a little bit more. if he refuses that option, he's not being fair.

joint account would have done it for u guys but did you explain to him that his salary doesn't have to be paid into that joint account? thats the only reason i feel he wont like the idea. i have ten accounts. a mixture of dom, savings and current accounts. my wife can join me in any of the accounts except the one that my salary drops into.
Re: Should A Husband & Wife Share One Bank Account? by brutal(m): 5:10pm On May 26, 2010
Not even in my dreams. cheesy
Re: Should A Husband & Wife Share One Bank Account? by wazobiang: 5:25pm On May 26, 2010
guy, u brutal o!
Re: Should A Husband & Wife Share One Bank Account? by tomiko1: 7:13am On May 27, 2010
lol, i guess this is a hot topic everywhere even in the ghanaian forums

http://www.omanbaforum.com/showthread.php?t=124&highlight=bank+account
Re: Should A Husband & Wife Share One Bank Account? by chazy4real(m): 10:47am On May 30, 2010
Of course, because the two of them are one. smiley
Re: Should A Husband & Wife Share One Bank Account? by Stan24: 1:17am On May 31, 2010
i disagree totally
Re: Should A Husband & Wife Share One Bank Account? by ayolinger(m): 4:07pm On Jun 03, 2010
I am Young and don't know anything about marriage but my own opinion is for both of you to sit down and plan on getting a joint account that is different from the one you use his card on, Maybe that will help matters but don't expect his salary to drop in it, NEVER!,

If i get married i might have a joint account with my wife, , but my salary and money from other source of Income will never DROP into it,
Re: Should A Husband & Wife Share One Bank Account? by kellysopy(m): 3:31pm On Jun 04, 2010
I think joint account should be opened to facilitate certain family projects while individual account is still maintained. I think it is good for families where both couples are working.
Re: Should A Husband & Wife Share One Bank Account? by ojesus: 8:16pm On Jun 04, 2010
let go and restore ur peace of mind if he wont agree with u. I think there are no hard and fast rules about it
Re: Should A Husband & Wife Share One Bank Account? by frdolaclub(m): 7:07pm On Jun 05, 2010
Whatever God Has joined together, let no man put asunder. Money even should not dare it. Except when there are skeletons in the cupboard
Re: Should A Husband & Wife Share One Bank Account? by Loveaflame(m): 6:53pm On Jun 15, 2010
Many can be hypocritical when it comes to issues like this.Many who support the ideas how many of them have a joint account.Lets be honest with ourselves and tell the world what is practiseable.I do not go against it.But the disadvantages involve in it are more than the disavantages.

Lets be honest.Such an account has caused a lot of problems among couples.My opinion is this.If the two can fully trust themselves and can stand by the terms of the joint acount let them go ahead.But not having it does not mean their is no love in the marriage.

Please lets allow the wandered dog to go .
Re: Should A Husband & Wife Share One Bank Account? by Biabeke(f): 9:49pm On Jun 20, 2010
A husband and wife should share a bank account if there is mutual trust. My husband and I share a bank account, and I also have a business checking account. My husband knows how much goes in and out of my account. It is sad to hear that a man would not share a bank account with his wife. Yet, they share a bed, house, body fluids and kids. shocked

(1) (Reply)

Abcon Kicks As Banks Suspend Bdcs’ Accounts Over Tax Remittance / Kilishi/ Dry Meat / How To Import From China To Nigeria Through DHL

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.