Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,579 members, 7,809,100 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:09 PM

10 Major Reasons For A Slow Website Speed - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / 10 Major Reasons For A Slow Website Speed (3607 Views)

How Do I Fix A Slow Website? A Newbie’s Guide / Whats The Cause Of Slow Website Response. / 5 Major Reasons Why Most Online Business Fail (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

10 Major Reasons For A Slow Website Speed by akeentech(m): 5:04am On Apr 06, 2018
If you've been staying aware of current series on site load speed; you'll realize that slow websites speed is terrible news! Truth be told, a slow site could cost you a huge number of conversions and visitors.

In light of that, I'm going behind the scenes to see what's happening. We should zoom in those couple of moments, and see what's holding things up.

#1. Server performance

If your server's performance is poor, it will take more time to respond. Regardless of how snappy everything else is, a slow server will give you a slow website speed.

Poor server performance is quite often down to your web host. A cheap web host will generally give you a shared server, which implies you're sharing space and resources to endless other sites. In the event that you have a slow website speed, this is because you're in a queue with lots of different sites.

#2. Location of the Server
Suppose your server is based in America. When a Nigerian visitor clicks on your site, the data needs to travel all the way across the Pacific Ocean. It needs to ask for access to the server. At that point, it needs to travel the distance back over the sea to load it on their screen.

Read Also: 10 things you should do on Nairaland

#3. Lots of web traffic

In case you're experiencing a lot of traffic, you will in the long run have a slow website speed. At its present level, your web server can only serve a specific number of individuals at once. It's somewhat similar to lining up in a shop. The more individuals come into the shop, the slower they get served.

#4. Extra large images
Do you recollect the past times of dial-up internet? A large picture could take up to some minutes to load, one little piece at a time! It was anguishing. Things have really improved since broadband, but the general rule still applies.

After you ping the server, it will begin carry each bit of the site to your browser screen. The server will convey content, text, and pictures. This resembles our shopkeeper bringing your stock out of the back. When you consider it like this, it's very simple.

#5. Code density

You may be sensing a theme here as of now. Large, dense components will slow down your site. One of the densest components of your site is the code that makes it. In case you're familiar with HTML, CSS, and Javascript, you'll realize that there is a huge amount of code behind your site.

#6Text graphics

A ton of sites still use images to show text. You may use a picture to display your logo, for instance. Or then again you might have an explainer message as a major part of a large image on your landing page.

#7. So many file requests

I've just clarified how enormous, heavy elements take longer time to load. Indeed, it's not just about their size. It's about how many there are. Each little element on your site needs a different file request to load.

Each CSS file, each image, each social sharing button, and each bit of Javascript is new file request. Your server can just only handle a specific amount of requests per second. Suppose that your site uses 50 file requests for each time it loads up.

#8. Lots of plugins
In case you're running WordPress, you've most likely got a large group of plugins behind the scenes. All things considered, every single one of those plugins makes its own file request. Every one of them has a CSS file and some javascript to load. That implies more weight to carry, and more file requests. In case you're running a lot of plugins, it will slow things down. Ask yourself which ones are necessary absolutely.

#9. Unnecessary redirects
Imagine you request for directions to the train station. Then you arrive there, and find out it's shut down. It's been moved to the other side of town, and now you must stroll over the city.

Takes you ages, isn't that right? A similar thing occurs with redirects. It is similar to loading a page twice. Unless you have an incredible reason behind doing it, stay away from redirects on your site.

#10. An outdated Content Management System (CMS)

In case you're using Drupal, WordPress, or Wix to manage your site, you'll see a regular popup. It's requesting that you install updates or new versions of the software.

An update by a large means they've resolved any kinks and problems, especially with respect to speed. Install the most recent versions of all plugins and software to help load your website faster and all the more smoothly.

Source: https://akeentech.com/2018/04/slow-website-speed-reasons/
Re: 10 Major Reasons For A Slow Website Speed by ameri9ja: 5:21am On Apr 06, 2018
Yes u r making sense my son
Re: 10 Major Reasons For A Slow Website Speed by Godsent4life: 7:07am On Apr 06, 2018
Bring all your iTunes card for clean deal I offer best rate
Re: 10 Major Reasons For A Slow Website Speed by inoki247: 7:11am On Apr 06, 2018
Okay get flash drive or berry the flash e go speed
Re: 10 Major Reasons For A Slow Website Speed by AnodaIT(m): 7:12am On Apr 06, 2018
Using Blogger takes care of Problem 1, 2, 3, 4, 8, 9 and 10

Another reason ____ is better than ____

Argue on your thread pls, I'm having headache
Re: 10 Major Reasons For A Slow Website Speed by Nobody: 7:15am On Apr 06, 2018
Server location really
Re: 10 Major Reasons For A Slow Website Speed by akeentech(m): 7:36am On Apr 06, 2018
ameri9ja:
Yes u r making sense my son
Yes sir my Dad
Re: 10 Major Reasons For A Slow Website Speed by Dmayor7(m): 8:15am On Apr 06, 2018
akeentech:

#1. Server performance

If your server's performance is poor, it will take more time to respond. Regardless of how snappy everything else is, a slow server will give you a slow website speed.

Poor server performance is quite often down to your web host. A cheap web host will generally give you a shared server, which implies you're sharing space and resources to endless other sites. In the event that you have a slow website speed, this is because you're in a queue with lots of different sites.

#2. Location of the Server
Suppose your server is based in America. When a Nigerian visitor clicks on your site, the data needs to travel all the way across the Pacific Ocean. It needs to ask for access to the server. At that point, it needs to travel the distance back over the sea to load it on their screen.

Sincerely, these above two can be totally solved perfectly and easily when you choose a good and reliable web hosting.

For a comprehensive tutorial on web hosting and how to choose a befitting and reliable web hosting for your website check this article here w3progams.com/hosting

3 Likes

Re: 10 Major Reasons For A Slow Website Speed by fajob: 9:19am On Apr 06, 2018
Okay
Re: 10 Major Reasons For A Slow Website Speed by debowale01(m): 9:21am On Apr 06, 2018
Good points you have there Op.
with a slow site, you will always lose your potential customers, which is bad for your business.
If you are running a wordpress website, I can help with few tricks to improve your site's speed.
Re: 10 Major Reasons For A Slow Website Speed by Revolva(m): 9:32am On Apr 06, 2018
check my signature...n tel if my website is slow
Re: 10 Major Reasons For A Slow Website Speed by akeentech(m): 9:41am On Apr 06, 2018
debowale01:

your site is satanically slow... grin
Wicked

1 Like

Re: 10 Major Reasons For A Slow Website Speed by akeentech(m): 9:41am On Apr 06, 2018
debowale01:

Wicked
Re: 10 Major Reasons For A Slow Website Speed by debowale01(m): 9:52am On Apr 06, 2018
akeentech:

Wicked
lol... but na true i talk my boss

1 Like

Re: 10 Major Reasons For A Slow Website Speed by yhungbrowhne(m): 11:38am On Apr 06, 2018
debowale01:

jesus christ ehwao it kust started yesterday eveninh ni what can i do pls
Re: 10 Major Reasons For A Slow Website Speed by debowale01(m): 12:46pm On Apr 06, 2018
yhungbrowhne:

jesus christ ehwao
it kust started yesterday eveninh ni
what can i do pls

since the site is a wordpress, there are some plugins and tricks you can apply to make your site faster.
Re: 10 Major Reasons For A Slow Website Speed by yhungbrowhne(m): 12:47pm On Apr 06, 2018
debowale01:

since the site is a wordpress, there are some plugins and tricks you can apply to make your site faster.

yes i just did that now you can revisit it
Re: 10 Major Reasons For A Slow Website Speed by debowale01(m): 12:56pm On Apr 06, 2018
yhungbrowhne:

yes i just did that now you can revisit it

yeah... it's better now... 83/100 on desktop and 37/100 on mobile.
Re: 10 Major Reasons For A Slow Website Speed by yhungbrowhne(m): 1:09pm On Apr 06, 2018
debowale01:

yeah... it's better now... 83/100 on desktop and 37/100 on mobile.
thanks bro so what did u observe sir
Re: 10 Major Reasons For A Slow Website Speed by debowale01(m): 1:36pm On Apr 06, 2018
yhungbrowhne:

thanks bro
so what did u observe sir

Honestly, I think you should a general overhaul of the site.
Re: 10 Major Reasons For A Slow Website Speed by yhungbrowhne(m): 3:48pm On Apr 06, 2018
debowale01:

Honestly, I think you should a general overhaul of the site.
how will i do that and what am going to add
Re: 10 Major Reasons For A Slow Website Speed by debowale01(m): 5:04pm On Apr 06, 2018
yhungbrowhne:

how will i do that and what am going to add

let's chat privately. DM me
Re: 10 Major Reasons For A Slow Website Speed by yhungbrowhne(m): 7:57pm On Apr 06, 2018
debowale01:

let's chat privately. DM me
okay let talk through mail or whatsapp check my signature sir

thank u
Re: 10 Major Reasons For A Slow Website Speed by ThatCEO: 3:17am On Apr 07, 2018
yeyerolling:
Server location really

It's a huge factor. I remember choosing a UK server over a US server for one of my sites. Why? It takes 12hour flight to get to Yankee from Nigeria but only 5 hours to get to UK. The internet is not magic, just a connection of cables all over the world, even under the ocean. Distance is certainly a big factor.
Re: 10 Major Reasons For A Slow Website Speed by akeentech(m): 12:48pm On Jun 13, 2018
ThatCEO:

It's a huge factor. I remember choosing a UK server over a US server for one of my sites. Why? It takes 12hour flight to get to Yankee from Nigeria but only 5 hours to get to UK. The internet is not magic, just a connection of cables all over the world, even under the ocean. Distance is certainly a big factor.

You are very right

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Need A Wordpress Bulk SMS Reseller Plugin / Webmasters/bloggers Let's Share Our Website URL And Get Traffic / How To Get An Approved Google Adsense Account In Less Than 2hrs

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.