Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,660 members, 7,801,913 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 05:32 AM

Drugs: Arewa Must Defend Itself!- By Bala Muhammed - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Drugs: Arewa Must Defend Itself!- By Bala Muhammed (20028 Views)

Citizens Must Defend Fundamental Rights / Osinbajo Must Defend Allegations Against Jonathan, Saraki - Timi Frank / North Highest Consumer Of Hard, Fake Drugs – Arewa Youths (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Drugs: Arewa Must Defend Itself!- By Bala Muhammed by Igba123: 4:48pm On Apr 07, 2018
t
Re: Drugs: Arewa Must Defend Itself!- By Bala Muhammed by proeast(m): 4:49pm On Apr 07, 2018
This region is fvrked in all angles cry

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Drugs: Arewa Must Defend Itself!- By Bala Muhammed by LZAA: 4:49pm On Apr 07, 2018
Roger3D:
I am sick and tired of the hypocritical ‘political correctness’ and intimidation by way of claims to ‘hate speech’ in the matter of drugs addiction among Arewa youths. We are gradually losing our youths to drugs - and the gradual has since become rapid. We must therefore call a spade a spade - and whatever a shovel will say, let it!

The other day I visited an inner-city neighbourhood in Kano City for a midday meeting. The young boys I saw all appeared stoned, high, drugged. When they spoke (“A gama lafiya Honourable!” and “Me za mu samu ne Yallabai?” etc), they eliminated all doubt about their state of mind; the slurred speech, the gait, the mannerism, the unkempt hair, the I-don’t-care-attitude all combined to tell me this is, sadly, an almost lost generation.

Over the past year, I have attended dozens of conferences and roundtables on drugs. Over the same period, I have heard our elite and leaders speak on this epidemic, pandemic, that has almost completely annihilated a whole generation. All speakers condemn, cajole, appeal, warn, but none seems to be addressing the crux of the matter - SUPPLY!

And that’s what I’m going to do today as I did recently at yet another roundtable where I was quoted to have blamed a minority within a certain ethnic group of being the major suppliers of drugs to OUR, not THEIR, youths. Our youths, and us, are under siege wallahi. And the earlier we jettison all fear of Diaporic Curses by Loud-Mouthed Internet Warriors, the better for us.

Let me say this - I am Hausa-Fulani. Despite my Fulani-ness, I have time without number condemned so-called herdsmen who are mainly Fulani AND who are involved in criminal activities. I again condemn them and call on them to fear God and recant. So, if herders are Fulani, and that’s not hate speech, I see no reason why the identity of drugs traffickers who are destroying our youths cannot be said. Every ethnic group should be courageous enough to do as much - condemn the criminal elements among them. And that’s not asking for too much.

As an academician and journalist, it comes easy, by Allah’s Leave, to be able to do some little research and follow-throughs on this matter. The following are a few illustrations:

“The Katsina State Command of National Drug Law Enforcement Agency, NDLEA…said it had…impounded a trailer in Dutsenreme area of Funtua loaded with 24,000 bottles…of cough syrup with codeine in a trailer from Onitsha to Funtua…Among those arrested are Christian Chukwuma and Obiora Chukwuma…

“A hard drug (Intoxicant) supplier, identified as Stanley Arinze, has been arrested by the Kano Police Command for trying to smuggle hard drugs...The tablets worth N19, 200,000 were intercepted after being concealed inside LG Plasma TV cartons in a trailer along Kano Eastern bye-pass. The man, a native of Anambra State, reportedly supplies Tramadol tablets to Kano and Republic of Niger…” and “Justice Okon Abang of the Federal High Court in Abuja…sentenced a man, Mr. Anthony Chidi Ikeab[/b]a, to 14 years imprisonment for unlawfully importing 1.782 kg of cocaine into the country…”

“Officials of the…NDLEA at the Murtala Mohammed Airport, Lagos prevented two Nigerians from execution in Malaysia…[b]Onovo Sylvester
Henry…and Ufiri Onyedika Emmanuel…were caught attempting to smuggle 2.575kg of methamphetamine to Malaysia where drug offences attract capital punishment. Nnamdi John Kingsley was nabbed while taking delivery of the television sets containing heroin…“ I have also asked in previous articles: “Where is that container of tramadol intercepted a few months ago by a team of patriotic customs officers destined for No. 3, Festing Road, Sabon Gari, Kano? Where are the arrested and named traffickers Mr. Stanley Arinze, Mr. Onuchukwu Benjamin Owulu and Mr. Igboanugo Vincent Tochukwu?”

and And then, if this doesn’t alarm you, nothing else will, ever! “NAFDAC has intercepted 33 containers of tramadol which were being conveyed to a yet-to-be-ascertained location in Nigeria…The disclosure was made by the NAFDAC Director-General, Prof Adeyeye, in Abuja…”

Arewa, are we also drugged? Why would we just sit down and watch people from elsewhere just come and destroy our youths in broad daylight? Why is nobody following up on these traffickers? Where are the prosecutors and the judges who are alleged to be conniving and using technicalities to release - purportedly on bail - these traffickers who more often than not are never arrested again?

I know some economics. I even know many economists - they of the ‘on the one hand…and on the other hand…’ In fact, I even spoke at a Dinner by BUK Economics Students Class of 2008 just last week. I know inflation and what a small salary can’t do; I know scarcity and glut, in layman’s language ‘over-supply’.

My little knowledge tells me supply trumps demand. Elementary economics, as explained on Wikipedia, says “When supply of a product goes up, the price of a product goes down and demand for the product can rise because it costs less.” Key words here: “Costs Less”. We, therefore, must staunch the supply.

It is good that “Two draft bills have been initiated for legislation to tackle drug abuse in the country...The proposed bills are the National Drug Control Bill and National Mental Health Bill…”

This is all good. The Senate President and his colleagues were in Kano recently, and they promised to do something about drugs abuse. Apparently, they are keeping to their words. But is this enough?

The Senate President should listen to the call by NAFDAC DG Prof Adeyeye: “The National Assembly should amend the law such that drug peddlers could be given stiffer penalties…Using drugs is centrally controlled or central nervous system-based which means it hits the brain immediately and it changes the user to somebody else. During the first use and second use, the brain of the user becomes very different because of dependence. The youths are then no longer able to control themselves, and that is where the crimes, terrorism, come in. Therefore, please let the word go out that drug use comes with consequences. Many youths are dying of drug overdose because it is very easy for them to access addictive drugs…”

Our children are massively into drugs because there is massive, unceasing and incessant supply. We must staunch the supply. Then review our laws. Then detoxify our children. Or simultaneously and concurrently.

We all wonder why we cannot bring capital punishment to national crimes such as drugs trafficking and, to be politically-correct, to kidnapping, rape, armed robbery and murder. Is Thailand more sensible than us, for example?

Two NDLEA State Commanders I follow closely are Kano’s Hamza Umar and Katsina’s Maryam Sani who are genuinely as concerned as I am on this very serious matter. This is not to say the others are not making effort, but Kano, Jigawa and Katsina are my immediate neighbourhood.

So, let’s recap - the Katsina Elite (I will here particularly appeal to senior academic colleague the Wazirin Katsina Prof Sani Lugga) should rise and help Maryam Sani of NDLEA and follow up on the Funtua case. The Kano Elite - LEADS of Barr. Aisha Dankani and Concerned Kano Citizens of Alhaji Bashir Tofa for example - should help Hamza Umar of NDLEA to unearth the matter of 3 Festing Road Sabon Gari and ‘drugs in plasma television’.

Pan-Arewa, the Jama’atu Nasril Islam (JNI), Northern CAN, Usman Bugaje’s Arewa Research and Development Project (ARDP), the Arewa Consultative Forum (ACF), the Northern Elders Forum (NEF) and those Arewa October Youths must just have to collaborate and do something in unison, for once.

We just have to do it, and may Allah make it easy for us.

https://www.dailytrust.com.ng/drugs-arewa-must-defend-itself.html
YorubaAssasin opened a new account today to display igbophobia grin grin
cc imhotep,onyeoga

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Drugs: Arewa Must Defend Itself!- By Bala Muhammed by nams77: 4:49pm On Apr 07, 2018
E
Re: Drugs: Arewa Must Defend Itself!- By Bala Muhammed by olasco2035: 4:51pm On Apr 07, 2018
I don tire with igbos wahala..drug trafficking na dem..ritual na dem..kidnapping na dem..olosho na dem..yahoo + na dem...igbos ar the reason thinz ain't going well in nigeria..it Will b better if they wil separate Nigeria self let them go their own way..
If u quote me wrong na thunder go destroy ur family

8 Likes

Re: Drugs: Arewa Must Defend Itself!- By Bala Muhammed by naijaking1: 4:51pm On Apr 07, 2018
Roger3D:
Why are you so vehemently defending drug dealers? Are you a prospective drug dealer too? Take my advice and avoid southeast Asia o cos the death penalty there is sure. On the other hand, you can make a killing by selling codeine and tramadol just like your brothers on the streets of Kano

Unfortunately, there's nobody to arrest you for this hate speech.
Tramadol and codeine are useful and important prescription pain medications which have been abused by wealthy , but addicted Hausa people who also creat demand for these drugs. If there's no demand there will be no supply.
Before you incite drug infested poor Hausa population on the Igbos again just know that this is not 1966.

32 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Drugs: Arewa Must Defend Itself!- By Bala Muhammed by AerialMapper: 4:52pm On Apr 07, 2018
Real nonsense! The “Chukwuma” is only meeting a demand! There is a demand and trust the enterprising Igbo man to capitalize on it. Note that he didn’t create the demand, he is only satisfying their wants.
Please shift your blame and place it on the youth who have made poor choices. Perhaps if they weren’t so hypocritical then they’d just satisfy their need for getting high by drinking alcohol but no that’s haram so anything else will do be it glue, codeine, thinner and even putting their heads in sewers.
Just drink alcohol and rest

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Drugs: Arewa Must Defend Itself!- By Bala Muhammed by fallout87: 4:53pm On Apr 07, 2018
Roger3D:
Honestly I think there is need to introduce the death penalty for all drug traffickers to serve as a deterrent just like Buhari did by decree in 1984

Death penalty for drug traffickers but amnesty for children kidnapping raping murderous Islamist fundamentalist terrorist like Boko Haram?

When anyone wonders why Nigeria is a failure just see the thought process of the average Nigerian.

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Drugs: Arewa Must Defend Itself!- By Bala Muhammed by BORNTOSUCKPUSSY: 4:56pm On Apr 07, 2018
olasco2035:
I don tire with igbos wahala..drug trafficking na dem..ritual na dem..kidnapping na dem..olosho na dem..yahoo + na dem...igbos ar the reason thinz ain't going well in nigeria..it Will b better if they wil separate Nigeria self let them go their own way..
igbos have destroyed yoruba youths too bro....our men have massive erectile dysfunction due to igbo pharmacies supplying tramadol and codeine to our yoruba men...even our men having been raping young girls all over yoruba land...its a scourge bro ....we need our ooni to speak out too

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Drugs: Arewa Must Defend Itself!- By Bala Muhammed by einsteine(m): 4:59pm On Apr 07, 2018
The article makes a big error due to the the tribalism of the writer. The writer is a tribalist so his perspective is clouded. Every sane economist who has analyzed the economics of illicit substances understands that demand reduction is the only thing that can stop drug trafficking.

But the idiot writer in an attempt to be a tribalist does not understand that.

Many countries have tried to curtail supply by going after drug dealers and stopping them. The result has always been an increase in prices and an even worse desire to supply more drugs.

The solution is simple: reduce demand. Get the Northern youths to NOT take drugs anymore and the supply would reduce. How can this silly writer not see that?

Why are they not sending hover boards, computers or cement down the North? Simply put, because there is no demand for it.

Demand usually precedes supply. So the onus lies on the northern leaders to solve that problem. But the foolish writer here is more interested in ethnic Wars.

40 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Drugs: Arewa Must Defend Itself!- By Bala Muhammed by Omofunaab2: 5:00pm On Apr 07, 2018
It's funny how no single igbo on this thread see anything wrong in selling hard drugs to the public.

This is what we keep saying about these people

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Drugs: Arewa Must Defend Itself!- By Bala Muhammed by agadez007(m): 5:02pm On Apr 07, 2018
BORNTOSUCKPUSSY:
igbos have destroyed yoruba youths too bro....our men have massive erectile dysfunction due to igbo pharmacies supplying tramadol and codeine to our yoruba men...even our men having been raping young girls all over yoruba land...its a scourge bro ....we need our ooni Emir to speak out too
fixed

There is nothing like Oba,ooni,or deji in Yoruba land anymore,its either Emir or Sultan, gerrit?

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Drugs: Arewa Must Defend Itself!- By Bala Muhammed by Roger3D(m): 5:02pm On Apr 07, 2018
naijaking1:

Unfortunately, there's nobody to arrest you for this hate speech.
Tramadol and codeine are useful and important prescription pain medications which have been abused by wealthy , but addicted Hausa people who also creat demand for these drugs. If there's no demand there will be no supply.
Before you incite drug infested poor Hausa population on the Igbos again just know that this is not 1966.
So I take it you approve of drug trafficking?
Re: Drugs: Arewa Must Defend Itself!- By Bala Muhammed by hollywater: 5:03pm On Apr 07, 2018
Tomorrow they will come out to shout haram.sharia law. Useless set of people.

2 Likes

Re: Drugs: Arewa Must Defend Itself!- By Bala Muhammed by einsteine(m): 5:04pm On Apr 07, 2018
Roger3D:
Honestly I think there is need to introduce the death penalty for all drug traffickers to serve as a deterrent just like Buhari did by decree in 1984

So you really think a death penalty would solve the problem?

Here is what happens when there is death penalties for economic crimes like drug trafficking.

Supply is reduced but since the people still want drugs, PRICES increase.

Since the drug addicts don't have enough money to cope with the new increases in price, they commit crimes to get the money.

Since the drug business has now become more profitable, the supply increases.

At the end, nothing changes.

How is the death penalty working for the Asian countries? Every year, the number of drug addicts in Thailand, Indonesia and Singapore continues to increase despite the death penalty.

The key is to reduce demand. Counsel people not to take drugs. Make it difficult for people to take drugs. If you kill demand, supply would cease.

15 Likes

Re: Drugs: Arewa Must Defend Itself!- By Bala Muhammed by Umukor(m): 5:04pm On Apr 07, 2018
Then we all know the hausa pple for killing without mercy if any ibo youth dies in the north ur generation will bear d price useless arewa dullard

1 Like

Re: Drugs: Arewa Must Defend Itself!- By Bala Muhammed by MishdaFish: 5:04pm On Apr 07, 2018
This epidemic started when our elites started sending their kids to school in Malaysia. Many of them were exposed to hard drugs and experimented with Medicinal drugs. Going forward, our Clergy should broaden the Haram on Alcohol to cover all Intoxicant! A typical northern youth would not take Alcohol because he was raised to shun it, but he has no issue taking Marijuana, codeine, tramadol or glue because there is no fatwa against these. we should own up to our problem rather than blame it on supply.

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Drugs: Arewa Must Defend Itself!- By Bala Muhammed by agadez007(m): 5:05pm On Apr 07, 2018
Omofunaab2:
It's funny how no single igbo on this thread see anything wrong in selling hard drugs to the public.

tramadol and Cough syrup are not hard drug per se, they are sometimes prescribed to sick people by doctors,the problem is with the people who abuse it

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Drugs: Arewa Must Defend Itself!- By Bala Muhammed by dragonking2: 5:06pm On Apr 07, 2018
This man is foolish.

Why didn't he come out to tell his brothers to protect themselves from bokoharam or Fulani herdsmen killing innocent people in the north?

Even if they stop selling LEGALIZED drugs, what about petrol or gum that the abokis inhale daily?

Will they protest that one too?

Abokis are drug addicts, take it or leave it.

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Drugs: Arewa Must Defend Itself!- By Bala Muhammed by grandstar(m): 5:08pm On Apr 07, 2018
This article though well meaning is based on ignorance.

Drug suppliers are simply crooked businessmen only interested in the bottomline. Its nothing personal.

I suspect what primarily fuels drug addiction in the core north is illiteracy. Ignorance of the potential danger of taking opiods such as Tramadol is not easily comprehended by poorly educated types.

10 Likes

Re: Drugs: Arewa Must Defend Itself!- By Bala Muhammed by LZAA: 5:09pm On Apr 07, 2018
micheal004:
Haha haha
mtcheeeew grin

1 Like

Re: Drugs: Arewa Must Defend Itself!- By Bala Muhammed by osusuallstars: 5:09pm On Apr 07, 2018
bala mohammed. please tackle the problem from the root. your religion needs to be looked into and modify. A man with little or no income less than 25k per month can not take care of four wives with 20 children. Hunger, idleness and no formal good education will drive them to drugs, almajiri, and Boko haram terrorists. I did my youth service at Malumfashi katsina state, most xtain parents have fewer well trained children that will never abuse drugs than the muslims families.

11 Likes

Re: Drugs: Arewa Must Defend Itself!- By Bala Muhammed by Chetimah(m): 5:12pm On Apr 07, 2018
bugidon:
Aboki na aboki!! Is igbo people forcing the drugs on your throats? You guys are very gullible and vulnerable thats why the wise men from the east utilise the opportunity in your mumuness.

My brothers Keep on supplying them more codeine and tutoline but please try and invest in your home too grin
tell your people to do legit business not to be selling drugs,out of 10people arrested Nigerians around the world 9 of 10 are igbos...why looking for quick money...dats y most of the people on death penalty around d world from Nigeria are igbos...if people talk all u all be shouting is marginalization..

8 Likes

Re: Drugs: Arewa Must Defend Itself!- By Bala Muhammed by asha80(m): 5:12pm On Apr 07, 2018
Omofunaab2:

so tramadol and codeine are hard drugs now right?you dey well so?

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Drugs: Arewa Must Defend Itself!- By Bala Muhammed by Roger3D(m): 5:13pm On Apr 07, 2018
Omofunaab2:

I deliberately opened this thread to gauge their reactions on the issue and frankly I'm far from surprised. Igbos come from a culture that glorifies money and material possession regardless of whether it is obtained legitimately or not. It only confirms what we already know about these people

8 Likes

Re: Drugs: Arewa Must Defend Itself!- By Bala Muhammed by proeast(m): 5:13pm On Apr 07, 2018
lastmessenger:
I see one thing here " give and take " . if your politicians and religious leaders can encourage your young men and women to be educated just like we southerners, I'm sure your people will all be gainfully employed thereby reducing the need for hard drugs but for political reasons you have decided to keep a vast population of able bodied young men ignorant so that they can be used as a willing tool to win political position.

Again,why are you all breeding children like rat? Poor men marrying four wives and breeding large number of children that they can hardly feed or send to school The end result of this system is that you will have a large population of youths who have lost hope in life thereby talking to drugs as a way to escape reality.

Northern value system really need to change if they will catch up with the rest of us down south. There is urgent need for population control in the North. Each man most have one wife and a maximum of two children. You must embrace western education and emulate the south. Shun religious intolerance and see your people experience prosperity..

Finally leave the drug laws enforcement agency to do their job.There is punishment for both the saler and the taker.
If this myopic man that goes by the name Bala Mohammed is the same that doubles as the minister of FCT then it's not a surprise why Nigeria has continued to degenerate. This supposed educated yet ignorant Fulani man left the root cause of the problem, which lies squarely on the shoulders of having over ten million youths who are illiterate, idle and without any form of skill even if it's the most basic form!! This re.tar.ted, frustrated and hopeless youths of the North has taken to such anti social behaviours as an escape from their worthless lives yet this bast.ard was busy blaming Igbos for their misery. Hopeless people tongue tongue

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Drugs: Arewa Must Defend Itself!- By Bala Muhammed by bamite(m): 5:13pm On Apr 07, 2018
bugidon:
Aboki na aboki!! Is igbo people forcing the drugs on your throats? You guys are very gullible and vulnerable thats why the wise men from the east utilise the opportunity in your mumuness.

My brothers Keep on supplying them more codeine and tutoline but please try and invest in your home too grin

Foolish comment.

Criminality and dishonesty isn't wiseness or intelligence.

Intelligence are people like albert Einstein, while wise men are people like king Solomon. biaflan criminals don't belong to any of those categories.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Drugs: Arewa Must Defend Itself!- By Bala Muhammed by jodeci(m): 5:14pm On Apr 07, 2018
The writer had better be careful because the guys might come for him if they discover he wants to stand between them and their source of drugs supply.

Drug addiction is so bad that victims can go to any length to satisfy their hunger for drugs.

1 Like

Re: Drugs: Arewa Must Defend Itself!- By Bala Muhammed by AZeD1(m): 5:18pm On Apr 07, 2018
The write is a dunce. Demand creates supply. If he wants to stop the drug problem, they should get their youths productive.

Making sure they go to school is a good start.

10 Likes

Re: Drugs: Arewa Must Defend Itself!- By Bala Muhammed by asha80(m): 5:19pm On Apr 07, 2018
jodeci:
The writer had better be careful because the guys might come for him if they discover he wants to stand between them and their source of drugs supply.

Drug addiction is so bad that victims can go to any length to satisfy their hunger for drugs.
you dey mind him..i got a guy here in abuja that some of these youths broke into his chemist shop because the guy stopped selling codeine and tramadol..they probably thought he was lieing when he told them he no longer sold them..they scattered and ransacked the shop.

13 Likes

Re: Drugs: Arewa Must Defend Itself!- By Bala Muhammed by Bede2u(m): 5:20pm On Apr 07, 2018
lastmessenger:
I see one thing here " give and take " . if your politicians and religious leaders can encourage your young men and women to be educated just like we southerners, I'm sure your people will all be gainfully employed thereby reducing the need for hard drugs but for political reasons you have decided to keep a vast population of able bodied young men ignorant so that they can be used as a willing tool to win political position.

Again,why are you all breeding children like rat? Poor men marrying four wives and breeding large number of children that they can hardly feed or send to school The end result of this system is that you will have a large population of youths who have lost hope in life thereby talking to drugs as a way to escape reality.

Northern value system really need to change if they will catch up with the rest of us down south. There is urgent need for population control in the North. Each man most have one wife and a maximum of two children. You must embrace western education and emulate the south. Shun religious intolerance and see your people experience prosperity..

Finally leave the drug laws enforcement agency to do their job.There is punishment for both the saler and the taker.
u must be a wise man from the east cool

1 Like

Re: Drugs: Arewa Must Defend Itself!- By Bala Muhammed by AkpaMgbor(m): 5:21pm On Apr 07, 2018
Omofunaab2:

On the contrary, the funny and equally sad thing is that despite your supposed education you don’t even know that codeine is a common cough syrup sold in virtually all the local drugstores in the country and so is tramadol which is an analgesic..educated ignoramus!

15 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Fayose Presents Handover Notes To Head Of Service, Says He Is Ready For EFCC / Nabena: Lai Mohammed Wants To Turn Kwara Governor To His Personal Assistant / Southern Governors’ Resolutions: ACF Backs Open Grazing Ban

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.