Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,897 members, 7,798,994 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 01:36 PM

The Differences Between Manual And Automatic Compressors. - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / The Differences Between Manual And Automatic Compressors. (15010 Views)

The Differences Between 4, 6, 8, 12… Cylinders / The Differences Between Straight 6 And V6 Engines / Notable Differences Between Manual Cars And Automatic Cars (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Differences Between Manual And Automatic Compressors. by CHISPAREPARTS(m): 9:00pm On Apr 08, 2018
DIFFERENCES BETWEEN MANUAL (FIXED DISPLACEMENT COMPRESSORS) AND AUTOMATIC (VARIABLE DISPLACEMENT COMPRESSORS)

I got a call from a client this week asking for an A/C compressor replacement. He specifically stated he wanted a manual (fixed displacement compressor) and not an automatic (variable displacement compressor). The car itself was factory fitted with a variable displacement compressor. When I asked him why he wanted something different from what the manufacturer had fitted in the car, he told me his A/C technician said automatic (variable displacement compressors give lots of problems and its always best to go for the manual (fixed displacement compressors).

The compressor is the most important part of a cars air conditioning system. The variable compressor is a much newer technology and it works by automatically varying its pumping capacity to meet air conditioning demand. When the car’s temperature is high, it increases its capacity until the desired temperature is achieved and it also automatically reduces its temperature when the desired temperature is met. A fixed displacement works on a totally different principle, it delivers the same pumping capacity at all temperatures.

The automatic compressor has a couple advantages over the manual compressor. Some of the advantages are that the variable displacement compressor does not cause the engine to jerk because of the absence of a compressor clutch. This directly leads to a much smoother driving experience and low fuel consumption. The greatest disadvantage of the automatic compressor is that it does not tolerate dirt at all.

If your car A/C system comes with an automatic compressor which fails and the system is clean, then changing the compressor and condenser should get your A/C working again but if the system is dirty, the other parts in the air conditioning system has to be changed along with a thorough system flushing. That being said, it is always best to go for a new automatic compressor if your compressor has failed and you still insist on an automatic one. If you cant afford an OEM or a high-quality aftermarket compressor then you should stick to the manual compressors.

Chi spare parts is Nigeria’s largest auto parts retailer so feel free to check us out.

Cc lalasticala

https://chispareparts.com.ng/differences-between-manualfixed-displacement-compressors-and-automaticvariable-displacement-compressors/

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Differences Between Manual And Automatic Compressors. by mosbus: 9:33pm On Apr 08, 2018
CHISPAREPARTS:
DIFFERENCES BETWEEN MANUAL (FIXED DISPLACEMENT COMPRESSORS) AND AUTOMATIC (VARIABLE DISPLACEMENT COMPRESSORS)

I got a call from a client this week asking for an A/C compressor replacement. He specifically stated he wanted a manual (fixed displacement compressor) and not an automatic (variable displacement compressor). The car itself was factory fitted with a variable displacement compressor. When I asked him why he wanted something different from what the manufacturer had fitted in the car, he told me his A/C technician said automatic (variable displacement compressors give lots of problems and its always best to go for the manual (fixed displacement compressors).

The compressor is the most important part of a cars air conditioning system. The variable compressor is a much newer technology and it works by automatically varying its pumping capacity to meet air conditioning demand. When the car’s temperature is high, it increases its capacity until the desired temperature is achieved and it also automatically reduces its temperature when the desired temperature is met. A fixed displacement works on a totally different principle, it delivers the same pumping capacity at all temperatures.

The automatic compressor has a couple advantages over the manual compressor. Some of the advantages are that the variable displacement compressor does not cause the engine to jerk because of the absence of a compressor clutch. This directly leads to a much smoother driving experience and low fuel consumption. The greatest disadvantage of the automatic compressor is that it does not tolerate dirt at all.

If your car A/C system comes with an automatic compressor which fails and the system is clean, then changing the compressor and condenser should get your A/C working again but if the system is dirty, the other parts in the air conditioning system has to be changed along with a thorough system flushing. That being said, it is always best to go for a new automatic compressor if your compressor has failed and you still insist on an automatic one. If you cant afford an OEM or a high-quality aftermarket compressor then you should stick to the manual compressors.

Chi spare parts is Nigeria’s largest auto parts retailer so feel free to check us out.

https://chispareparts.com.ng/differences-between-manualfixed-displacement-compressors-and-automaticvariable-displacement-compressors/
good job.
But most times what really damages variable displacement sensor compressor (automatic compressor)is if your radiator fan don't operate the way it should.
Re: The Differences Between Manual And Automatic Compressors. by CHISPAREPARTS(m): 9:37pm On Apr 08, 2018
mosbus:
good job.
But most times what really damages variable displacement sensor compressor (automatic compressor)is if your radiator fan don't operate the way it should.
Yes that's true.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Differences Between Manual And Automatic Compressors. by Nobody: 10:47pm On Apr 08, 2018
I don't see a difference between the two compressors posted.

1 Like

Re: The Differences Between Manual And Automatic Compressors. by Jazzlite: 4:34am On Apr 09, 2018
Team manual compressors after reading this epistle... nothing is gonna change my love for manual compressors!
Re: The Differences Between Manual And Automatic Compressors. by CHISPAREPARTS(m): 7:10am On Apr 09, 2018
EgunMogaji:
I don't see a difference between the two compressors posted.
The pictures??

1 Like

Re: The Differences Between Manual And Automatic Compressors. by Nobody: 9:41am On Apr 09, 2018
CHISPAREPARTS:

The pictures??

Yes.

They both have clutches.
Re: The Differences Between Manual And Automatic Compressors. by Jazzlite: 9:43am On Apr 09, 2018
EgunMogaji:

Yes.

They both have clutches.
Abegi leave the man. I tested him and he failed. Just asked about Sanden 507 and he was like....what car model is Sanden.... I was stunned. Real dealers don't have time for elaborate internet posts
Re: The Differences Between Manual And Automatic Compressors. by CHISPAREPARTS(m): 10:00am On Apr 09, 2018
Jazzlite:

Abegi leave the man. I tested him and he failed. Just asked about Sanden 507 and he was like....what car model is Sanden.... I was stunned. Real dealers don't have time for elaborate internet posts
OK.
Re: The Differences Between Manual And Automatic Compressors. by mosbus: 8:16pm On Apr 09, 2018
CHISPAREPARTS:

OK.
hmmmmm
Re: The Differences Between Manual And Automatic Compressors. by Inception(m): 9:26pm On Apr 09, 2018
EgunMogaji:

Yes.

They both have clutches.

Not in all cases sir.

Denso VDC compressors used in 4 cylinder engines ( case in point 2007 - present Toyota Camry) do not use clutches but a special pulley design that shears off and becomes freewheeling in the event that the compressor locks.
Re: The Differences Between Manual And Automatic Compressors. by Nobody: 9:53pm On Apr 09, 2018
Inception:

Not in all cases sir.

Denso VDC compressors used in 4 cylinder engines ( case in point 2007 - present Toyota Camry) do not use clutches but a special pulley design that shears off and becomes freewheeling in the event that the compressor locks.

I beg of you kind Sir, to please pay close attention to my post.

Good day.
Re: The Differences Between Manual And Automatic Compressors. by Inception(m): 10:23pm On Apr 09, 2018
EgunMogaji:

Good day.
Re: The Differences Between Manual And Automatic Compressors. by Inception(m): 10:26pm On Apr 09, 2018
EgunMogaji:

Good day.

OK. But you are wrong.

The first compressor in the picture (vdc) does not have a clutch. It is as per my description earlier stated.

Unless the pictures were updated prior to my post, then in that case I apologize for my assertion.
Re: The Differences Between Manual And Automatic Compressors. by Jazzlite: 10:33pm On Apr 09, 2018
mosbus:
hmmmmm
I was taken in because you kind of endorsed him. Please desist from such acts. Don't fritter away your goodwill.
Re: The Differences Between Manual And Automatic Compressors. by Nobody: 11:00pm On Apr 09, 2018
Inception:

OK. But you are wrong.

The first compressor in the picture (vdc) does not have a clutch. It is as per my description earlier stated.

Unless the pictures were updated prior to my post, then in that case I apologize for my assertion.

We’ll have to agree to disagree.
Re: The Differences Between Manual And Automatic Compressors. by mejai(m): 11:34pm On Apr 09, 2018
2008 upwards, Toyota corolla. d auto compressor can fail eh
Re: The Differences Between Manual And Automatic Compressors. by CHISPAREPARTS(m): 9:17am On Apr 10, 2018
mejai:
2008 upwards, Toyota corolla. d auto compressor can fail eh
If you wanna replace the auto compressor and still insist on an auto compressor, then it's best to get an OEM one or a very high quality aftermarket one.
Re: The Differences Between Manual And Automatic Compressors. by dcubeismynick(m): 4:15pm On May 29, 2020
But technicians do say MANUAL compressor lasts longer than automatic.
I use Elantra 2008, the technician advised me to use a manual compressor. He said another auto can fail anytime soon.
But I observe its an heavy load on my 1.6 engine ans im afraid it could weaken the engine soon

CHISPAREPARTS:

Cc lalasticala

Re: The Differences Between Manual And Automatic Compressors. by NaijadrivaCars: 7:59pm On May 29, 2020
Na this difference two apprentice auto technicians de argue seytey fight burst. Na the settlement dem de so.

1 Like

Re: The Differences Between Manual And Automatic Compressors. by EricBraven: 2:10pm On Jul 08, 2020
In case you need any condenser for your car I have them in stock OEM standard
Re: The Differences Between Manual And Automatic Compressors. by iHateFraudsters: 1:26pm On Dec 05, 2022
NaijadrivaCars:
Na this difference two apprentice auto technicians de argue seytey fight burst. Na the settlement dem de so.

This man grin
Re: The Differences Between Manual And Automatic Compressors. by alaricsaltzman: 11:20am On Jul 07, 2023
CHISPAREPARTS:

If you wanna replace the auto compressor and still insist on an auto compressor, then it's best to get an OEM one or a very high quality aftermarket one.
Where and how can one get quality aftermarket one?

(1) (Reply)

The Seven Types Of Drivers In Nigeria: Which One Are You? / China To Ban Production Of 553 Car Models From Jan.1 To Fight Air Pollution / Can I Use Kerosine To Run My Deisel Engine

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.