Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,889 members, 7,802,862 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:49 PM

Why Can't I Drive: My Concern About My Body Co-ordination - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Why Can't I Drive: My Concern About My Body Co-ordination (1635 Views)

90% Of Nigeria Don't Know How To Drive My Experience / How Many Months Can I Drive Tokunbo Without Number Plate? / How Can I Drive Rats Away From My Car? Please Help (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Can't I Drive: My Concern About My Body Co-ordination by Abra4real(m): 11:49am On Apr 09, 2018
Hello, Nairalanders.

I need your opinion on a pressing issue: I can't co-ordinate my body movement which eventually means I can't drive well.

All was well until I had to learn to drive a tricycle. I had no choice, so I put in. It was supposed to be easy, but it wasn't. I mean, it's not like a bike with two wheels where you have to be good at balancing yourself and maneuvering to be able to drive it. I was wrong with the tricycle.

My main problems with driving it is coordinating my maneuvers, speed (I had to enter potholes), and gear selection. There are pedestrians on the road, other vehicles, and sometimes, a very tight place to move like former Oshodi. Worse case is that I am not even using it for commercial purpose.

So, I asked myself, what if it gets to that? Will I be able to drive tricycle for a living?

Also, I've noticed the following:

1. I don't do well in racing games whether on Android or laptop. While my siblings, friends, classmates, or colleagues may reach a score of 10/20, I'd be very happy if I got 2/20. Because usually, I get 1/20. This applies to games like Subway Surfers, Temple Run, Dr Driving, Zombie Highway, etc. For example, while playing on a laptop, I'll have to look at the keyboard to press the right key even after familiarizing myself with where the keys are.

2. I can't drum a continuous beat for long without making a mistake. At least, even if I can take on a drumset, I should be able to drum a simple five beat over and over again. But no. I'd make a mistake within a minute.

3. I don't know how to dance. Yes, I know you want to laugh. But I see a relationship between driving and knowing how to coordinate your dance step. I've been very awkward at dancing, at parade in secondary school when I was among the Nigerian Red Cross.

Now, with all I've noticed so far, I'm afraid to say anything because in Nigeria, nobody takes things like that serious. Even my siblings will laugh at me. But I've been thinking about it for a while, so this morning, I Googled, "Why can't I drive?" I found one of the search results with the same title. And here is the content:

Having real difficulty learning to drive. Give up altogether, start again in an automatic, or can you think of anything that would help me to improve?

I've had about 46 hours of driving lessons and I honestly feel as though I'm not making any progress. I can sort of do the manoevres, eventually, but the actual driving part is a mess. I will try and explain why:

1. I strongly suspect I may be dyspraxic. I've always been extremely clumsy and can't do anything that requires bodily co-ordination. I am uniformly awful at all sports.

2. I have difficulties with left and right. It's very hard to explain; sometimes I'll say left and mean right; other times, when reversing for example, instead of just steering in the direction I want the back of the car to go, I imagine I'm facing backwards and then try to work out which direction that would mean steering in, which is obviously wrong.

3. I can't really focus on more than one thing at once. At a junction or roundabout I will be so busy trying not to stall the car that I can't possibly look at what the lights or the other cars are doing. I feel like I should have got past this by now. There is the related problem of not being able to process the various rules of the road while driving because I'm a) too distracted by the actual driving and b) too stressed to think calmly - I've passed my theory test, and if you ask me when I'm calm and relaxed what lane I need to be in if I want to turn left or whatever it's obvious, but if you ask me when I'm actually in the car I won't have a clue.

4. I'm very bad at judging physical spaces (I suspect this may be another feature of my dyspraxia). I'm not at all confident about whether a gap in the traffic is sufficient for me to go, and I have not really developed much of a sense of how much space the car takes up so I can never confidently work out how close another car is to the left or right.

5. There are a whole bunch of psychological blocks largely to do with confidence, such as:
a) if I mess up one thing early on in the lesson I go into a total flap and then can't get anything else right for the rest of the lesson;
b) I have a lot of guilt about being on the road in the first place when I'm so rubbish (if I'm doing a manoevre and another car comes along I'll just mess it up because my impulse is just to get the hell out of that person's way as fast as possible);
c) at no point do I ever feel relaxed, safe or in control (sometimes I have to actually remind myself to breathe), and obviously this massively impacts my ability to make decisions;
d) I've now got it into my head that I can't do it, so of course I can't;
e) it just seems like too high-risk an activity for me to be doing badly;
f) normally if I don't get the hang of something straight away I just chuck it in.

Worst of all is the insurmountable hurdle that I will never get confident without practice but I can't practise because I'm not confident. It would be massively helpful to practise in my husband's car, for example, but I've stalled in it so many times that I'm now paranoid about it, plus I'm terrified of driving a car that someone else doesn't have control of.

So my question is threefold:

1. Are there real and significant disadvantages to starting again in an automatic? And if I did, how many of the above problems would it solve? It seems to me that though I would still have issues with judging space etc, I would at least lose my paranoia of stalling, and some of the cognitive capacity that gets taken up by gears would be free to focus on other traffic etc.

2. If that isn't a good idea (and I am in the UK, where automatics aren't that common), can you think of anything else that would help me?

3. In the worst case scenario, do some people really never, ever get it? And when will I know if I am one of them?

(This is all somewhat complicated by the fact that I don't really have any objective measure of how badly I'm doing. I will tend to err on the side of pessimism when judging my own progress at anything, but then I do feel like I am having significantly more problems with driving than other people seem to. It's no good asking my instructor because obviously the more lessons I have to have, the more he gets paid, so it's kind of in his interests for me to keep plugging away with it even if a sensible person would have given up by now; if he'd just said in the first few lessons "look, you're unlikely ever to get the hang of this", I would have saved an awful lot of money.)

Any advice would be useful - everybody else just tells me "oh, it'll click eventually!", and no clicking has so far been forthcoming! Many thanks in advance for anything you can think of.

https://ask.metafilter.com/227682/Why-cant-I-drive

If I tell even doctors in Nigeria that I have dyspraxia, you know the drill. We don't believe in depression, so it's an automatic negative for dyspraxia. I read about dyspraxia and this is what Wikipedia defines it as:

Developmental coordination disorder (DCD), also known as developmental dyspraxia or simply dyspraxia, is a chronic neurological disorder beginning in childhood. It is also known to affect planning of movements and co-ordination as a result of brain messages not being accurately transmitted to the body. Impairments in skilled motor movements per a child's chronological age which must interfere with activities of daily living. A diagnosis of DCD is then reached only in the absence of other neurological impairments like cerebral palsy, muscular dystrophy, multiple sclerosis or Parkinson's disease. According to CanChild in Canada, this disorder affects 5 to 6 percent of school-aged children; however this disorder does progress towards adulthood, therefore making it a lifelong condition.

Please, note that I'm not just blabbing. I know that because of my poor body coordination, I have endured knocks, strokes of cane, and - wait for it - one of my aunts said I needed brain booster. Here's what I want to know now:

1. Is it possible that there are some able-bodied people in the world who cannot drive?

2. Do you know anybody who was having trouble driving just as I am having now? Did he or she scale the problem? How?

3. If you know any psychologist on Nairaland, tag them. Maybe they'd be able to tell me more on dyspraxia.

Since childhood, people used to think I was shy (maybe a little) but the real reason I was withdrawn was because of my poor body coordination which means no dance, no games, and when I speak for a while, I do have some speech impediment like calling logarithm ligarithm, etc.

Apart from that, I'm doing well academically. Maths, English, Literature, CRK, and even Yoruba Language. I made a transition from the commercial department to art and I had no problem. I didn't attend any tutorial, had no private teacher (me that I'm withdrawn before.) I'm just wondering why I have to battle knowing how to drive or any other thing that requires body movement coordination.

I'm counting on your comments.

Lalasticlala, I need your help.
Re: Why Can't I Drive: My Concern About My Body Co-ordination by OCTAVO: 3:37pm On Apr 09, 2018
Lalasticlala, please kindly help this man get help.
Re: Why Can't I Drive: My Concern About My Body Co-ordination by partnerbiz4: 7:26pm On Apr 09, 2018
This is more of a psychological issue.

Honestly if I handle you, you will learn driving.

You need a loving patient caring person and a good environment to practice well.

Again, you are a lady. Most aren't that good in driving.

Stop muddling these things up.

I doubt the connection between inability to play drums, dance and driving.
Re: Why Can't I Drive: My Concern About My Body Co-ordination by Abra4real(m): 8:09pm On Apr 09, 2018
partnerbiz4:
This is more of a psychological issue.

Honestly if I handle you, you will learn driving.

You need a loving patient caring person and a good environment to practice well.

Again, you are a lady. Most aren't that good in driving.

Stop muddling these things up.

I doubt the connection between inability to play drums, dance and driving.

I'm a guy. You doubt because it's not happening to you. I can feel it. How? Because it's the same feeling I have when I try to drive that I have when I want to play car racing games or any of the activities I mentioned above.

Again, you said it's more of a psychological issue. Dyspraxia is psychological.
Re: Why Can't I Drive: My Concern About My Body Co-ordination by partnerbiz4: 8:16pm On Apr 09, 2018
Abra4real:

I'm a guy. You doubt because it's not happening to you. I can feel it. How? Because it's the same feeling I have when I try to drive that I have when I want to play car racing games or any of the activities I mentioned above.

Again, you said it's more of a psychological issue. Dyspraxia is psychological.

I drive like an expert but can't play drums. Once I play for 5 mins, I will leave my rhythm and join others in playing theirs.

I hate dancing too and shy. cool

I still doubt the connection.

I bet that you will learn If I teach you.

How come you said ''my husband in your post and you are a guy?
Re: Why Can't I Drive: My Concern About My Body Co-ordination by Abra4real(m): 9:27pm On Apr 09, 2018
partnerbiz4:

I drive like an expert but can't play drums. Once I play for 5 mins, I will leave my rhythm and join others in playing theirs.

I hate dancing too and shy. cool

I still doubt the connection.

I bet that you will learn If I teach you.

How come you said ''my husband in your post and you are a guy?

I was quoting an article. The link is even there.
Re: Why Can't I Drive: My Concern About My Body Co-ordination by timifakay(m): 11:18am On Apr 10, 2018
There maybe exercises to help improve your coordination. Maybe some form of physiotherapy.
Re: Why Can't I Drive: My Concern About My Body Co-ordination by RZArecta2(m): 12:15pm On Apr 10, 2018
See a psychiatrist or a good Cele pastor cool
Re: Why Can't I Drive: My Concern About My Body Co-ordination by temmym4(m): 1:27pm On Apr 10, 2018
Your coordination and imagination really needs to be worked on.
Re: Why Can't I Drive: My Concern About My Body Co-ordination by uzoexcel(m): 12:17pm On Apr 21, 2019
So much ignorant comments here. PEOPLE DO HAVE THIS CONDITION!!!!!

@Op, i symphathize with U as i also have this same condition (Dyspraxia).
it was officially diagnosed when i commenced my studies abroad and i was compelled to see the Univ doctor.

But before that i ll give a little story.
since i was small i had issues with telling my left from my right hand..if i wanted to put on a shoe i had to ask my mom or any aunty around which shoe was for my left leg and which was for my right leg. It seemed so easy to everyone save for myself and i couldnt understand for the life of me while it seemed so easy for every other person.It was till i got to college before i could surmount this.

Then i got to a boarding house and we were compelled to use fork/knife. Meal times was lways a nightmare. had problems manipulating the fork and knife and it didnt help my first crush was sitting across me. She actually taught me how to use this utensils. Took almost a whle year before i mastered this though(Thank you Sile).In addtion to that i was damn clumsy/awkward and also had a poor handwriting. i t was so bad that my class teacher in college(jss1) had to tell the whole class never to borrow my note. Lastly i had poor hand eye/foot eye coordination (i learned that term from my P.E teacher who said loudly in exasperation after i failed to catch a simple big ball we were throwing around in a circle). Throw me a ball and it would surely bounce in front or land somewhere else'i would never catch it.i could never 'coordinate' the movement.I think clumsiness affects one's self confidence.

How did i fight all this.. Been self aware certainly helped.In j.s.s1 after classes/prep i would stay in class having borrowed the notes of the students with the best handwriting and then practise continiously 24/7. i would return the notes and then borrow more notes smiley . my hand writing started becoming better and leaving that school it was one of the best in class. but i never could write fast; at all. Though this led to my been ambidexrous

hand eye/foot eye coordination: THE univ doctor i mentioned earlier conducted a series of test, proclaimed that i had dyspraxia and then gave me tips on how to slowly correct the condition. i took to badminton and was always at the courts playing. This really helped me a lot tbh.

For driving:oh my, till this day its still an issue.i v finally resolved to move away from practising with manual and stick with automatic.I still have issues with left hand/right hand coordination. but practising more helped a lot. Best advice have a patient instuctor and explain to him that he needs to be PATIENT.

Done be depressed by comments from ignorant people on this thread who tell you to go for deliverance.Not everyone has good exposure.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/151951.php

Abra4real:
Hello, Nairalanders.

I need your opinion on a pressing issue: I can't co-ordinate my body movement which eventually means I can't drive well.

All was well until I had to learn to drive a tricycle. I had no choice, so I put in. It was supposed to be easy, but it wasn't. I mean, it's not like a bike with two wheels where you have to be good at balancing yourself and maneuvering to be able to drive it. I was wrong with the tricycle.

My main problems with driving it is coordinating my maneuvers, speed (I had to enter potholes), and gear selection. There are pedestrians on the road, other vehicles, and sometimes, a very tight place to move like former Oshodi. Worse case is that I am not even using it for commercial purpose.

So, I asked myself, what if it gets to that? Will I be able to drive tricycle for a living?

Also, I've noticed the following:

1. I don't do well in racing games whether on Android or laptop. While my siblings, friends, classmates, or colleagues may reach a score of 10/20, I'd be very happy if I got 2/20. Because usually, I get 1/20. This applies to games like Subway Surfers, Temple Run, Dr Driving, Zombie Highway, etc. For example, while playing on a laptop, I'll have to look at the keyboard to press the right key even after familiarizing myself with where the keys are.

2. I can't drum a continuous beat for long without making a mistake. At least, even if I can take on a drumset, I should be able to drum a simple five beat over and over again. But no. I'd make a mistake within a minute.

3. I don't know how to dance. Yes, I know you want to laugh. But I see a relationship between driving and knowing how to coordinate your dance step. I've been very awkward at dancing, at parade in secondary school when I was among the Nigerian Red Cross.

Now, with all I've noticed so far, I'm afraid to say anything because in Nigeria, nobody takes things like that serious. Even my siblings will laugh at me. But I've been thinking about it for a while, so this morning, I Googled, "Why can't I drive?" I found one of the search results with the same title. And here is the content:

If I tell even doctors in Nigeria that I have dyspraxia, you know the drill. We don't believe in depression, so it's an automatic negative for dyspraxia. I read about dyspraxia and this is what Wikipedia defines it as:

Please, note that I'm not just blabbing. I know that because of my poor body coordination, I have endured knocks, strokes of cane, and - wait for it - one of my aunts said I needed brain booster. Here's what I want to know now:

1. Is it possible that there are some able-bodied people in the world who cannot drive?

2. Do you know anybody who was having trouble driving just as I am having now? Did he or she scale the problem? How?

3. If you know any psychologist on Nairaland, tag them. Maybe they'd be able to tell me more on dyspraxia.

Since childhood, people used to think I was shy (maybe a little) but the real reason I was withdrawn was because of my poor body coordination which means no dance, no games, and when I speak for a while, I do have some speech impediment like calling logarithm ligarithm, etc.

Apart from that, I'm doing well academically. Maths, English, Literature, CRK, and even Yoruba Language. I made a transition from the commercial department to art and I had no problem. I didn't attend any tutorial, had no private teacher (me that I'm withdrawn before.) I'm just wondering why I have to battle knowing how to drive or any other thing that requires body movement coordination.

I'm counting on your comments.

Lalasticlala, I need your help.

2 Likes

Re: Why Can't I Drive: My Concern About My Body Co-ordination by baconline(m): 12:32pm On Apr 21, 2019
U are just mechanically disadvantaged
Re: Why Can't I Drive: My Concern About My Body Co-ordination by SortOut: 9:17pm On Apr 21, 2019
I advise you start Monitored Physical Fitness e.g Aerobics and Athletics especially for sprinters that engage in Steps. Physical Disorientation is present in almost everyone, just that the magnitude is evident in some than others. Do we'll to tutor your body on physical exercises. Don't rush your body, rather monitor it.

(1) (Reply)

Sample Uber Partner/driver Agreement / ..... The Importance Of Mobil1 Engine Oil / What Does These Say About The Personality Of The Vehicle Owners (PHOTOS)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.