Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,037 members, 7,807,114 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 09:48 AM

Make Onitsha River Port Functional, Shippers Urge FG - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Make Onitsha River Port Functional, Shippers Urge FG (1908 Views)

Buhari To Inaugurate First Northern Nigeria's River Port On Saturday / Conclusion Of N4.5bn Onitsha River Port Concession Mired In Controversy / 'Amaechi Is A Thief': APC Members Protest In Rivers, Urge FG To Prosecute Him (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Make Onitsha River Port Functional, Shippers Urge FG by Blue3k2: 3:13pm On Apr 09, 2018
Anambra State Shippers’ Association, has appealed to the Federal Government to gazette and make the Onitsha River Port functional.

The President of the association, Mr Emma Akpaka, who spoke in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) on Saturday in Enugu, said the port if put to use, would boost the economy of the country.

Akpaka stressed that the port if put to maximum use, could sustain the country’s economy, especially with its proximity to the Onitsha Main Market.

NAN recalls that Onitsha River Port was inaugurated by former President Goodluck Jonathan in 2012, after its reconstruction.

Akpaka said that “to abandon it for over six years after it completion and inauguration is invitation to self-inflicted hardship’’.

According to him, the people’s expectations for takeoff of economic activities in the port have been `deferred’ for too long.

“Shippers in the South-East are begging President Muhammadu Buhari to gazette this port into the global shipping map, so that customs and relevant agencies will immediately enforce economic activities.

“Apart from revenues and jobs creation, there would be massive development of inland waterways of host communities as well.

“Recently, Kaduna Dry Port was commissioned by President Mohammadu Buhari.

“As we speak, the port in Kaduna is operational. Let the same feat be duplicated in Onitsha River Port instead of using different strokes for different folks.

“Again, let the benchmark in Nigerian ports be the same across board, instead of promoting price differentials by government agencies who use it as a ploy to frustrate shipment of containers to eastern ports,’’ he said.

“If Royal Niger Company (now UAC) used this port before and after Nigeria’s independence for its imports and exports, why can’t we do same in this millennium, when technology has greatly influenced the ease of doing business?

Read more at: http://www.pulse.ng/news/local/shippers-urge-fg-to-gazette-onitsha-river-port-functional-id8220315.html
Re: Make Onitsha River Port Functional, Shippers Urge FG by okachie1(m): 4:31pm On Apr 09, 2018
Seriously as a matter of urgency they should cos d majority of imported goods that docks in Lagos is from the east especially Aba and Onitsha. It makes sense if ships could be docking at Onitsha port and PH too in other to make it easier for the Easterners.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Make Onitsha River Port Functional, Shippers Urge FG by joeyfire(m): 4:35pm On Apr 09, 2018
They are not interested in making any port in the east viable. No be today matter

7 Likes

Re: Make Onitsha River Port Functional, Shippers Urge FG by ruggedized1: 4:55pm On Apr 09, 2018
OP, why not tell Bubu cheesy
Re: Make Onitsha River Port Functional, Shippers Urge FG by CodeTemplar: 5:01pm On Apr 09, 2018
I heard the waters around the SS ports aren't deep enough to encourage the more common vessels in.
Re: Make Onitsha River Port Functional, Shippers Urge FG by dynicks(m): 5:04pm On Apr 09, 2018
ok
Re: Make Onitsha River Port Functional, Shippers Urge FG by Blue3k2: 5:06pm On Apr 09, 2018
Dredging inland rivers is already part of ERGP and Amachi already promised it should be ready by 2019. Let's be foreal though this is low priority for him. It's similar to 2nd Niger Bridge.

ruggedized1:
OP, why not tell Bubu cheesy
Re: Make Onitsha River Port Functional, Shippers Urge FG by ruggedized1: 5:08pm On Apr 09, 2018
Why must a completed Port wait for 2019? Why 2019 to start operation? Again, why is such an important economically viable project that will transformed the lives of the people of the SE be a ''low priority'' project? This is the only reason I support Ipob/massob.

Blue3k2:
Dredging inland rivers is already part of ERGP and Amachi already promised it should be ready by 2019. Let's be foreal though this is low priority for him. It's similar to 2nd Niger Bridge.

5 Likes

Re: Make Onitsha River Port Functional, Shippers Urge FG by NonsoWow: 5:11pm On Apr 09, 2018
River Niger needs to be properly dredged and not the fake dredging that late Yar Adua did. Onitsha is the greatest city in Igboland and a functioning port there will cause an economic explosion never before seen in the history of the black race.

3 Likes

Re: Make Onitsha River Port Functional, Shippers Urge FG by Blue3k2: 5:22pm On Apr 09, 2018
The port is irrelevant to them except as political football to kick around. I could ask why Jonathan who completed port with time to spare before leaving office didn't gazzete port.

ruggedized1:
Why must a completed Port wait for 2019? Why 2019? Again, why is such a project that will transformed the lives of the people of the SE be a ''low priority'' project? This is the only reason I support Ipob/massob.

abandoning the port for over six years after its completion and inauguration, was an invitation to self-inflicted hardship, adding that shippers in the area had become impatient over the neglect of the port. 
Re: Make Onitsha River Port Functional, Shippers Urge FG by SamuelAnyawu(m): 5:25pm On Apr 09, 2018
The Major reason i was not Happy with GEJ
Re: Make Onitsha River Port Functional, Shippers Urge FG by Nobody: 5:44pm On Apr 09, 2018
Blue3k2:
The port is irrelevant to them except as political football to kick around. I could ask why Jonathan who completed port with time to spare before leaving office didn't gazzete port.

He should have gazzeted that port.
Re: Make Onitsha River Port Functional, Shippers Urge FG by Nobody: 5:46pm On Apr 09, 2018
Blue3k2:

Read more at: http://www.pulse.ng/news/local/shippers-urge-fg-to-gazette-onitsha-river-port-functional-id8220315.html

That port go make sense. Don't know why it's not yet operational.

3 Likes

Re: Make Onitsha River Port Functional, Shippers Urge FG by Nobody: 5:47pm On Apr 09, 2018
SamuelAnyawu:
The Major reason i was not Happy with GEJ
That and Second Niger Bridge. sad
Re: Make Onitsha River Port Functional, Shippers Urge FG by 0monnak0da: 5:53pm On Apr 09, 2018
Why must it be a River Port.

A dry port can be just as useful and why just Onitsha Why not Abuja, Lokoja Ibadan and so on.

A dry dock is a more realistic proposal than a river port.

Please if you must quote me do not be rude o that your mother does not die of cancer
Re: Make Onitsha River Port Functional, Shippers Urge FG by Blue3k2: 6:14pm On Apr 09, 2018
1. It's river port because the plan was to give shippers annother option of transporting goods and easing pressure on roads.

2. There already river port planned for Lokoja, Baro and Oguta River ports. The dry port will be located in Isiala Ngwa in Abia state, Erunmu, Ibadan in Oyo state, Heipang in Plateau state, Zawachiki in Kano state, Zamfarawa, Funtua in Katsina state and Maiduguri in Borno state.

3. Sure you wouldn't have to dredge anything. You just need to build good roads. If the issue is only gazseting like they say then there's no reason both cabt exist.

0monnak0da:

A dry port can be just as useful and why just Onitsha Why not Abuja, Lokoja Ibadan and so on.

Re: Make Onitsha River Port Functional, Shippers Urge FG by 0monnak0da: 6:35pm On Apr 09, 2018
Blue3k2:
1. It's river port because the plan was to give shippers annother option of transporting goods and easing pressure on roads.

2. There already river port planned for Lokoja, Baro and Oguta River ports. The dry port will be located in Isiala Ngwa in Abia state, Erunmu, Ibadan in Oyo state, Heipang in Plateau state, Zawachiki in Kano state, Zamfarawa, Funtua in Katsina state and Maiduguri in Borno state.

3. Sure you wouldn't have to dredge anything. You just need to build good roads. If the issue is only gazseting like they say then there's no reason both cabt exist.

Dry port does not have to involve roads. Rail is more appropriate from Akwa Ibom ,Rivers or Bayelsa. That is the correct strategic investment
The problem with river port is that it will involve dredging in Rivers and Bayelsa states whhich would put them at risk of flooding and they have little or nothing to gain from it.They will have to agree to any such dredging. It cannot be taken for granted as many seem to, that they will simply acquiesce and say "carry on" of course dredging will invovle Abia and Imo states too .

Drredging will not be a one off. Given the history of the FG that is unreliable

The environmental impact of dredging a river in a delta area with so many creeks is unpredictable. Even if the flooding is due to global warming dredging would be blamed. We have not forgotten the floods of 2012

There is an assumption that the River Niger is immortal and would always be there. Is that realistic. What happened to Lake Chad? Google RIVER NIGER DRYING.

Even if it does not dry

There is nothing to stop ,in the future Niger, Mali etc damming or diverting thee river. We need to invest in what we can control

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Make Onitsha River Port Functional, Shippers Urge FG by Ttipsy(f): 7:04pm On Apr 09, 2018
l
Re: Make Onitsha River Port Functional, Shippers Urge FG by Ttipsy(f): 7:04pm On Apr 09, 2018
long overdue. Apapa WARF is over stressed. come to my street, traffic gridlock is hell. the FG need to decongest Lagos abeg

1 Like

Re: Make Onitsha River Port Functional, Shippers Urge FG by Blue3k2: 7:16pm On Apr 09, 2018
Theres already the rail lines planned for all parts of nation so thst doesn't need to be debated. The flooding that nobody can gauge till the actually do an EIA. Yar Adua carrired out dredging did we experience more flooding as result. Most of the benefits would go to SE and northern states. The states on coast would have a deep seaport already. You could be right nobody knows how they will vote on matter when it comes up.

Last I read mali is dredging to make it navigable I doubt the have plans to stop flow. Second just like in case with Niger Republic dam ask them to make concession so the don't effect down stream.

I looked at articles about river Niger Drying up like you said, it said unauthorized dams and climate change it the issue. Even then it's be interesting if we're experience both flooding and drying by same river. Lake Chad was climate change and increased irrigation due to population growth.

0monnak0da:

Dry port does not have to involve roads. Rail is more appropriate from Akwa Ibom ,Rivers or Bayelsa. That is the correct strategic investment.
The problem with river port is that it will involve dredging in Rivers and Bayelsa states which would put them at risk of flooding and they have little or nothing to gain from it.They will have to agree to any such dredging. It cannot be taken for granted as many seem to, that they will simply acquiesce and say "carry on" of course dredging will invovle Abia and Imo states too .

Dredging will not be a one off. Given the history of the FG that is unreliable

The environmental impact of dredging a river in a delta area with so many creeks is unpredictable. Even if the flooding is due to global warming dredging would be blamed. We have not forgotten the floods of 2012

There is an assumption that the River Niger is immortal and would always be there. Is that realistic. What happened to Lake Chad? Google RIVER NIGER DRYING.

Even if it does not dry

There is nothing to stop ,in the future Niger, Mali etc damming or diverting thee river. We need to invest in what we can control
Re: Make Onitsha River Port Functional, Shippers Urge FG by 0monnak0da: 7:33pm On Apr 09, 2018
Blue3k2:
Theres already the rail lines planned for all parts of nation so thst doesn't need to be debated. The flooding that nobody can gauge till the actually do an EIA. Yar Adua carrired out dredging did we experience more flooding as result. Most of the benefits would go to SE and northern states. The states on coast would have a deep seaport already. You could be right nobody knows how they will vote on matter when it comes up.

Last I read mali is dredging to make it navigable I doubt the have plans to stop flow. Second just like in case with Niger Republic dam ask them to make concession so the don't effect down stream.

I looked at articles about river Niger Drying up like you said, it said unauthorized dams and climate change it the issue. Even then it's be interesting if we're experience both flooding and drying by same river. Lake Chad was climate change and increased irrigation due to population growth.

Sure

But what about the source of the Niger, its orign in Guinea ? And the several downstream countries ,in the desert ? Are they unaffected by climate change?
Re: Make Onitsha River Port Functional, Shippers Urge FG by Blue3k2: 7:40pm On Apr 09, 2018
Is the question rhetorical? I don't know about guinea. Did the countries ever finish the study on why the Niger river drying.

0monnak0da:

Sure

But what about the source of the Niger, its orign in Guinea ? And the several downstream countries ,in the desert ? Are they unaffected by climate change?
Re: Make Onitsha River Port Functional, Shippers Urge FG by Nonaira3: 7:44pm On Apr 09, 2018
I love my SE brethren but they need to wake up. This shithole does not care about anything that's beneficial to Igboland. You and I know this shithole would never open that port. You know that hence we should focus our attention in getting ourselves out of this hateful, retrogressive shithole

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Make Onitsha River Port Functional, Shippers Urge FG by 0monnak0da: 7:57pm On Apr 09, 2018
Blue3k2:
Is the question rhetorical? I don't know about guinea. Did the countries ever finish the study on why the Niger river drying.

Well "The Niger" is rather a technical matter. As well it is geopolitical and military. It is difficult to disscuss if you don't know these in significant microdetail or even why it is called "Niger" and what else it may be called. The conflicting claims of ownership and the technical realithy that climate change could force others upstream to reduce our "share" to a trickle, then what ? Pump in water from the Atlantic?
Re: Make Onitsha River Port Functional, Shippers Urge FG by Efewestern: 8:23pm On Apr 09, 2018
Long overdue, I also urge the federal government to make Warri port functional, it can service Anambra, Ondo and other nearby states .
Re: Make Onitsha River Port Functional, Shippers Urge FG by anibirelawal(m): 9:02pm On Apr 09, 2018
Coming soon.
Re: Make Onitsha River Port Functional, Shippers Urge FG by mikolo80: 11:09pm On Apr 09, 2018
we import chines goods from aba and onitsha?
okachie1:
Seriously as a matter of urgency they should cos d majority of imported goods that docks in Lagos is from the east especially Aba and Onitsha. It makes sense if ships could be docking at Onitsha port and PH too in other to make it easier for the Easterners.
Re: Make Onitsha River Port Functional, Shippers Urge FG by mikolo80: 11:11pm On Apr 09, 2018
ruggedized1:
Why must a completed Port wait for 2019? Why 2019 to start operation? Again, why is such an important economically viable project that will transformed the lives of the people of the SE be a ''low priority'' project? This is the only reason I support Ipob/massob.

if they transform
then the decepticons can't win election with rice cups
they will need at leats 1 pallet per voter
that doe'st leave much for them to loot now does it
Re: Make Onitsha River Port Functional, Shippers Urge FG by mikolo80: 11:13pm On Apr 09, 2018
0monnak0da:

Please if you must quote me do not be rude o that your mother does not die of cancer
the imports still need a water port na
and lagos is congested?
Re: Make Onitsha River Port Functional, Shippers Urge FG by mikolo80: 11:14pm On Apr 09, 2018
Blue3k2:

trailers are damaging the roads hence river transport
Re: Make Onitsha River Port Functional, Shippers Urge FG by mikolo80: 11:24pm On Apr 09, 2018
0monnak0da:

Dry port does not have to involve roads. Rail
RAIL??!!!
in nigeria
when will that one ever happen
have you learnt nothing from the ajaokuta debacle

is more appropriate from Akwa Ibom ,Rivers or Bayelsa. That is the correct strategic investment
and i still think port congestion is an issue

The problem with river port is that it will involve dredging in Rivers and Bayelsa states whhich would put them at risk of flooding and they have little or nothing to gain from it.

methinks dredging will REDUCE flood risk due to 'deepering and widering' the water channel so can handle higher throughput

They will have to agree to any such dredging. It cannot be taken for granted as many seem to, that they will simply acquiesce and say "carry on" of course dredging will invovle Abia and Imo states too .

when almighty FG is involved and billions of potential naira?
stop kidding
his a serious matter

Drredging will not be a one off. Given the history of the FG that is unreliable

and rail construction will be?

The environmental impact of dredging a river in a delta area with so many creeks is unpredictable. Even if the flooding is due to global warming dredging would be blamed.

we blame obj gej and now bubu for everything
yet life goes on
fuggedaboutit

We have not forgotten the floods of 2012

wetin concine flood with dredging
really
i'd like to know

There is an assumption that the River Niger is immortal and would always be there. Is that realistic. What happened to Lake Chad?

lake

Google RIVER NIGER DRYING.

river
see how they different
but seriously the problem is reduced watershed in futa jallon(source of the niger) if my primary school geography serves me correctly
so plant more trees in burkina faso

Even if it does not dry

There is nothing to stop ,in the future Niger, Mali etc damming or diverting thee river.

treaty's
agreements
money
federal might

We need to invest in what we can control
we don't seem to be able to control sht
Re: Make Onitsha River Port Functional, Shippers Urge FG by mikolo80: 11:27pm On Apr 09, 2018
0monnak0da:

Well "The Niger" is rather a technical matter. As well it is geopolitical and military. It is difficult to disscuss if you don't know these in significant microdetail or even why it is called "Niger" and what else it may be called. The conflicting claims of ownership and the technical realithy that climate change could force others upstream to reduce our "share" to a trickle, then what ? Pump in water from the Atlantic?
i still don't get it
even after damming the flow rate should remain the same

(1) (2) (Reply)

Abike Dabiri-erewa Says Embarrasing Trending Video Of IG Of Police, Was Doctored / See The Way Nigerians React To Sen. Ben Bruce's Simple Tweet. / Rabiu Kwankwaso Reveals Master Plan On How PDP Can Win Buhari In 2019

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.