Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,921 members, 7,802,989 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 06:47 AM

Meet Unilorin Student Who Developed Computer That Speaks All Africa Languages... - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Meet Unilorin Student Who Developed Computer That Speaks All Africa Languages... (431 Views)

20-year-old UNILORIN Student Commits Suicide After Lending ‘online Lover’ N500k / Joshua Agboola: Meet 9-year-old Who Developed A Website For His School. / UNILORIN Student Dances 'Soapy' After Her Final Exam, Signs Out In Style (Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Meet Unilorin Student Who Developed Computer That Speaks All Africa Languages... by gimmehear(f): 7:19am On Apr 10, 2018
Unilorin innovative student
Featured
MEET UNILORIN STUDENTS DEVELOPING COMPUTER THAT SPEAKS AFRICA LANGUAGES.
Posted on April 10, 2018 AuthorTemi Badmus Comment(0)
Hello guys! Do you remember I posted about some unilorin students who are working on a computer programming called” Linguo” this computer will be designed to have the ability to speak different Africa languages, I mean all Africa languages… Isn’t that incredible?

A lot of students from the University of Ilorin were,and are still interested in them and I’m glad you glad about that . So I took it upon myself to have a deep conversation with the head of the team, the person of Kolawole Felix Oyerinde.
Below is an interactive session with him.
Also pictures of every member of the team is attached to this interview.

Gimmehear.com: Hello, Can I know you better?

Felix: My name is KOLAWOLE Felix Oyerinde, A graduate of Computer Science, University of Ilorin, 2016

Gimmehear.com:

So, Mr Kolawole… I heard about your innovation? How do you come about such idea?

Felix:

It all started during the development of my final year project titled “VOIS – An enhanced operating system for people with disabilities”, in which I combined the powers of Speech Recognition and Speech Synthesis to build a customized version of Windows OS that could be operated using speech.

Then it occurred to me : “why can’t we have an operating system that we could operate using our indigenous languages?”

Most of the technological advancements in the field of languages have focused mainly on “international languages”, while our “indigenous languages” are constantly losing their values and dying out.

According to Wikipedia, UNESCO reported the “Igbo language” in the year 2006 as one of the endangered African languages, a language which was then predicted to become extinct within the following 50years.

Gimmehear.com:

As a Alumina of university of Ilorin, would you say your research is base on what your learnt from school or random learning.

Felix:

“The environment we live in has a lot to play in what we become”. Yes, it’s based on what I learnt in school

Gimmehear.com:

I read you are a group, how is ihe team fending?

Felix:

The team is the best team I’ve ever been a member of. Everyone is perfect at what he does. There’s no doubt when it comes to what we have set out to achieve, for Linguo has the right people for it
right people to make it’s dreams come true

See more pictures of the other team members

https:///UBWtyJ
Lalasticlala

Re: Meet Unilorin Student Who Developed Computer That Speaks All Africa Languages... by mamaafrik(m): 7:32am On Apr 10, 2018
can any one confirm this please or why has not any reasonable recognition being accrued to it.
Re: Meet Unilorin Student Who Developed Computer That Speaks All Africa Languages... by Hardebaryor(m): 7:43am On Apr 10, 2018
mamaafrik:
can any one confirm this please or why has not any reasonable recognition being accrued to it.
You mean why? Because we are in Nigeria of course!!

(1) (Reply)

Nigerian Student Gets Accepted Into All 8 Ivy League Schools In The United State / Dr. Dre Vs Dr. Drai: Rapper Loses Trademark Battle With A Real Doctor / 6

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.