Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,350 members, 7,780,940 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 05:57 AM

5 Things I Wish I Knew Before I Started Blogging - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / 5 Things I Wish I Knew Before I Started Blogging (8797 Views)

I Started Blogging Without A Clue / Have You Started Blogging Or You About To Start, Here Is Good News For You!!! / I Just Started Blogging And I Bought Ngscholars.com.ng What Do You Think (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

5 Things I Wish I Knew Before I Started Blogging by Nobody: 8:09pm On Apr 10, 2018

There are tons of things I wish I knew before I started blogging, but here is a list of the top 5 things which impacted negatively on the growth of EntMirror. It’s true that we learn through mistakes and failure, but some mistakes are better left unmade cause when they happen, you’ll continuously feel the impact and trust me, it’s a depressing feeling.

If you’re a blogger or perhaps aspiring to be one, this post will be a head-start in this journey of yours. By knowing these 5 things I wished I knew before joining the blogosphere, you will no doubt make the right decision and meet success.

1. SEARCH ENGINE OPTIMIZATION

The most powerful search engine on the planet, Google, runs on keywords. Every seconds, humans like you and I are punching characters on Google search box, looking for answers, solutions and help. When a user type in some keywords on Google’s search box; Google is given a job to find the most helpful content or material on the web. How does Google find what the user is looking for? Keywords! Yes you heard me.

For example; Mr. Mike is searching for businesses he can start with N1,000,000. He grabbed his smartphone and without hesitating, type; “BUSINESS THAT I CAN START WITH N1,000,000”

Google now take note of the important keywords like ‘business, start, N1,000,000’ then pull out web contents containing these keywords. Their order of ranking is determined by the number of backlink the site has, the age of the site, uniqueness of the content, readability, images, links and a whole bunch of other factors.

When I started blogging, I knew none of these. I was writing for the sake of writing and at the end of the day, my traffic source was Facebook and forums. No organic traffic whatsoever and I were frustrated.

If you want to succeed as a blogger, learn SEO because it will be your friend in moment of laziness. That moment when you’re too lazy to share your posts on social media or participate on forums and blogs. That is the moment Google becomes a friend by sending in consistent traffic on a regular basis.

2. NICHING IT DOWN

This is also something I wish I knew before I started blogging. At first, I wanted to blog about everything that comes to mind, without a central focus. But later on, I discovered that niching works best if I must retain readers and get daily juice from Google.

When someone visits the blog for the first time, they should be able to tell what the blog is all about in a matter of seconds. In a situation whereby articles on entertainment, politics, romance, health are found in one blog, it brings confusion and also a huge turn off to readers and search engine. But when the focus of the blog is defined, they will see you as an authority and will always visit for fresh contents. The benefit that comes with niching is tremendous and can’t be overemphasized.

3. QUALITY CONTENT IS KING

I see a lot of bloggers on social media, searching for a magic trick to gaining tons of traffic daily. But when you visit their blog, you find only few posts that are poorly written and unfriendly to users and SEO. There’s no magic to success. In blogging, content is and will always remain king. I didn’t know until I learn the hard way. Today, I employ writers who help keep this blog fresh with contents. The more content I have, the more successful I will become as a blogger.

Don’t just write for the sake of having many contents. I’m talking about having a lot of quality contents that end up helping its readers.

4. CONSISTENCY

I know of a blogger that started a year before me, same niche. But today, I have outranked him in all ramifications because he wasn’t consistent. He updates once in two months, sometimes more and that attitude killed his blog.

Not only will your readers love you for always updating your blog, Google will make it a point of duty to check on your blog every hour or daily for fresh contents. When they come daily, expecting to see something new and you keep disappointing them; they will grow tired and definitely give up. Same applies to other search engines.

A month ago, I was preparing for an exam and I couldn’t update my blog and my traffic dropped. When I finally update, it took Google three days to index that post, something that usually take minutes on a normal day. A serious blogger shouldn’t joke with consistency.

5. BLOG DESIGN

When I started blogging, I was changing my theme on a daily basis, without knowing that it was sending negatives vibes, both to my readers and search engine. I wished I knew. But I didn’t and I paid dearly for it.

As a blogger, stick to any theme that’s simple, user friendly and easy to navigate by readers. Don’t over tweak your blog. It’s not every plugin that you need to install. Keep it as simple as possible and your readers will thank you for it. Don’t use shouting colors or images that are not inter-related to the message you want to pass across.

When it comes to blog design, even search engine takes special interest in that aspect. Google wants to direct their users to a blog that’s neat and user friendly. Because Google value their user experience, they launched Accelerated Mobile Page [AMP]. If I had known, I wouldn’t have been changing my themes as if it were my body wears.

CONCLUSION

Blogging is fun, lucrative and fulfilling. When it’s done well, you’ll be able to feed a whole village through your earning. It doesn’t happen overnight. It’s a battle of continuous effort. But with consistency, you’ll reach the pinnacle. By knowing these things I wish I knew before I started blogging, the road to success will be easier.

Your turn, tell me one of the mistakes you once made as a blogger? Use the comment box let’s hear your voice.

SOURCE: https://www.entmirror.com/5-things-i-wish-i-knew-before-i-started-blogging/

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 5 Things I Wish I Knew Before I Started Blogging by Nobody: 8:56pm On Apr 10, 2018
Those were great tips! On-page seo factors was my worst mistake on [url]questechie.com[/url], I initially didn't know the importance of structured data and how to check if a theme has the right mark ups!

2 Likes

Re: 5 Things I Wish I Knew Before I Started Blogging by Nobody: 2:07am On Apr 11, 2018
questechie:
Great lessons there, on-page seo factors was my worst mistake on [url]questechie.com[/url], I initially didn't know the importance of structured data and how to check if a theme has the right mark ups, the blog suffered emencely for it. It took about 3 years to correct it and return to Google's good book. cool
so what theme do you recommend
Re: 5 Things I Wish I Knew Before I Started Blogging by Nobody: 3:49am On Apr 11, 2018
radiokilla:
so what theme do you recommend
Some themes are not properly structured, so before deploying any theme ensure its structured data compliant.

2 Likes

Re: 5 Things I Wish I Knew Before I Started Blogging by Doerstech(m): 6:37am On Apr 11, 2018
I like point number 2......Niche it down....that doesn't seems to be the case with many Nigerian bloggers

2 Likes

Re: 5 Things I Wish I Knew Before I Started Blogging by Nobody: 6:37am On Apr 11, 2018
questechie:

Some themes are not properly structured, so before deploying any theme ensure its structured data compliant.

This is very true.

Cc Lalasticlala
Re: 5 Things I Wish I Knew Before I Started Blogging by talk2rotman(m): 7:13am On Apr 11, 2018
its never too late
Re: 5 Things I Wish I Knew Before I Started Blogging by Godsent4life: 7:16am On Apr 11, 2018
Bring all your iTunes card and get paid instantly I buy all denomination of iTunes at best rate
Re: 5 Things I Wish I Knew Before I Started Blogging by Sarang(f): 7:19am On Apr 11, 2018
smileynice

Please see my signature
Re: 5 Things I Wish I Knew Before I Started Blogging by flamingfire24(m): 7:20am On Apr 11, 2018
bla bla blah this are jargons to my eardrums.
Re: 5 Things I Wish I Knew Before I Started Blogging by martinlooter(m): 7:28am On Apr 11, 2018
If I want to start blogging, do I need to build a fresh website, or I just need to use .com?
Please advise
Re: 5 Things I Wish I Knew Before I Started Blogging by Nobody: 7:30am On Apr 11, 2018
martinlooter:
If I want to start blogging, do I need to build a fresh website, or I just need to use .com?
Please advise

If you don't know much about blogging, I would advice you start with blogger just to gain experience. Blogging is more than just writing. When you've been well grounded, you can then go ahead for a self hosted blog.
Re: 5 Things I Wish I Knew Before I Started Blogging by pauljumbo: 7:32am On Apr 11, 2018
Consistency is key
Nice write up
Re: 5 Things I Wish I Knew Before I Started Blogging by Krafty006: 7:36am On Apr 11, 2018
jobs jobs jobs.......affordable custom shoes https://www.nairaland.com/4405075/new-designs
Re: 5 Things I Wish I Knew Before I Started Blogging by Nobody: 7:36am On Apr 11, 2018
All these things you mentioned are noteworthy but to tell you the plain truth, if you want higher rankings in Google...budget some cash and throw it into Adwords advertising campaigns. With all your knowledge of SEO and niching, if Google finds out that your blog is generating more traffic in competition with paid advertisers, they will relegate your website/blog.

1 Like

Re: 5 Things I Wish I Knew Before I Started Blogging by satowind(m): 7:41am On Apr 11, 2018
Mod on fire today. Quality contents making front page I like that

1 Like

Re: 5 Things I Wish I Knew Before I Started Blogging by castrol180(m): 7:47am On Apr 11, 2018
Same stories still recycling every day by day
Re: 5 Things I Wish I Knew Before I Started Blogging by logadims: 8:05am On Apr 11, 2018
HenryDion:

There are tons of things I wish I knew before I started blogging, but here is a list of the top 5 things which impacted negatively on the growth of EntMirror. It’s true that we learn through mistakes and failure, but some mistakes are better left unmade cause when they happen, you’ll continuously feel the impact and trust me, it’s a depressing feeling.

If you’re a blogger or perhaps aspiring to be one, this post will be a head-start in this journey of yours. By knowing these 5 things I wished I knew before joining the blogosphere, you will no doubt make the right decision and meet success.

1. SEARCH ENGINE OPTIMIZATION

The most powerful search engine on the planet, Google, runs on keywords. Every seconds, humans like you and I are punching characters on Google search box, looking for answers, solutions and help. When a user type in some keywords on Google’s search box; Google is given a job to find the most helpful content or material on the web. How does Google find what the user is looking for? Keywords! Yes you heard me.

For example; Mr. Mike is searching for businesses he can start with N1,000,000. He grabbed his smartphone and without hesitating, type; “BUSINESS THAT I CAN START WITH N1,000,000”

Google now take note of the important keywords like ‘business, start, N1,000,000’ then pull out web contents containing these keywords. Their order of ranking is determined by the number of backlink the site has, the age of the site, uniqueness of the content, readability, images, links and a whole bunch of other factors.

When I started blogging, I knew none of these. I was writing for the sake of writing and at the end of the day, my traffic source was Facebook and forums. No organic traffic whatsoever and I were frustrated.

If you want to succeed as a blogger, learn SEO because it will be your friend in moment of laziness. That moment when you’re too lazy to share your posts on social media or participate on forums and blogs. That is the moment Google becomes a friend by sending in consistent traffic on a regular basis.

2. NICHING IT DOWN

This is also something I wish I knew before I started blogging. At first, I wanted to blog about everything that comes to mind, without a central focus. But later on, I discovered that niching works best if I must retain readers and get daily juice from Google.

When someone visits the blog for the first time, they should be able to tell what the blog is all about in a matter of seconds. In a situation whereby articles on entertainment, politics, romance, health are found in one blog, it brings confusion and also a huge turn off to readers and search engine. But when the focus of the blog is defined, they will see you as an authority and will always visit for fresh contents. The benefit that comes with niching is tremendous and can’t be overemphasized.

3. QUALITY CONTENT IS KING

I see a lot of bloggers on social media, searching for a magic trick to gaining tons of traffic daily. But when you visit their blog, you find only few posts that are poorly written and unfriendly to users and SEO. There’s no magic to success. In blogging, content is and will always remain king. I didn’t know until I learn the hard way. Today, I employ writers who help keep this blog fresh with contents. The more content I have, the more successful I will become as a blogger.

Don’t just write for the sake of having many contents. I’m talking about having a lot of quality contents that end up helping its readers.

4. CONSISTENCY

I know of a blogger that started a year before me, same niche. But today, I have outranked him in all ramifications because he wasn’t consistent. He updates once in two months, sometimes more and that attitude killed his blog.

Not only will your readers love you for always updating your blog, Google will make it a point of duty to check on your blog every hour or daily for fresh contents. When they come daily, expecting to see something new and you keep disappointing them; they will grow tired and definitely give up. Same applies to other search engines.

A month ago, I was preparing for an exam and I couldn’t update my blog and my traffic dropped. When I finally update, it took Google three days to index that post, something that usually take minutes on a normal day. A serious blogger shouldn’t joke with consistency.

5. BLOG DESIGN

When I started blogging, I was changing my theme on a daily basis, without knowing that it was sending negatives vibes, both to my readers and search engine. I wished I knew. But I didn’t and I paid dearly for it.

As a blogger, stick to any theme that’s simple, user friendly and easy to navigate by readers. Don’t over tweak your blog. It’s not every plugin that you need to install. Keep it as simple as possible and your readers will thank you for it. Don’t use shouting colors or images that are not inter-related to the message you want to pass across.

When it comes to blog design, even search engine takes special interest in that aspect. Google wants to direct their users to a blog that’s neat and user friendly. Because Google value their user experience, they launched Accelerated Mobile Page [AMP]. If I had known, I wouldn’t have been changing my themes as if it were my body wears.

CONCLUSION

Blogging is fun, lucrative and fulfilling. When it’s done well, you’ll be able to feed a whole village through your earning. It doesn’t happen overnight. It’s a battle of continuous effort. But with consistency, you’ll reach the pinnacle. By knowing these things I wish I knew before I started blogging, the road to success will be easier.

Your turn, tell me one of the mistakes you once made as a blogger? Use the comment box let’s hear your voice.

SOURCE: https://www.entmirror.com/5-things-i-wish-i-knew-before-i-started-blogging/
i'll like you to help guide me in my blogging journey.
Re: 5 Things I Wish I Knew Before I Started Blogging by cherechipromise(m): 8:56am On Apr 11, 2018
Can someone blog with a smartphone?
Re: 5 Things I Wish I Knew Before I Started Blogging by Nobody: 9:10am On Apr 11, 2018
cherechipromise:
Can someone blog with a smartphone?

Yes, I started with a smartphone. As long as it can run on chrome or Firefox, go ahead. But it's easier on tablet and laptop.

1 Like

Re: 5 Things I Wish I Knew Before I Started Blogging by webincomeplus(m): 9:14am On Apr 11, 2018
prince3009:
All these things you mentioned are noteworthy but to tell you the plain truth, if you want higher rankings in Google...budget some cash and throw it into Adwords advertising campaigns. With all your knowledge of SEO and niching, if Google finds out that your blog is generating more traffic in competition with paid advertisers, they will relegate your website/blog.
This is plain false. Google doesn't relegate sites for the reason you stated because there's nothing like "competing with paid advertisers".

Paid ads are clearly displayed at the top of search results, and no amount of SEO can feature your site as a paid listing if you've not paid for it. Organic results are shown below paid listings and do not compete with them in any way.

The only reason why Google can switch your site's position or relegate it is if there are competitors who are better at the game than you are. And even at that, only SEO sites can compete with other SEO sites and only paid listings can compete with other paid listings.

3 Likes

Re: 5 Things I Wish I Knew Before I Started Blogging by Nobody: 9:35am On Apr 11, 2018
webincomeplus:

This is plain false. Google doesn't relegate sites for the reason you stated because there's nothing like "competing with paid advertisers".

Paid ads are clearly displayed at the top of search results, and no amount of SEO can feature your site as a paid listing if you've not paid for it. Organic results are shown below paid listings and do not compete with them in any way.

The only reason why Google can switch your site's position or relegate it is if there are competitors who are better at the game than you are. And even at that, only SEO sites can compete with other SEO sites and only paid listings can compete with other paid listings.

You even have the strength to reply him.. His comment stunned me immediately i saw it. Someone is blind yet claiming to see. It's well.

1 Like

Re: 5 Things I Wish I Knew Before I Started Blogging by thinkaxis(m): 11:10am On Apr 11, 2018
Op truly knows what he is saying. Meanwhile check my signature to learn how to be self employed working for yourself online. Benefit from aliexpress affiliate program and make steady commissions while promoting your store.
Re: 5 Things I Wish I Knew Before I Started Blogging by VcStunner(m): 11:10am On Apr 11, 2018
hi guys, i started www.greentechnaija..com in march. i try to make original posts (personally researched and written from start to finish), but that is actually time consuming considering my nitche. Now i want to add related news from other blogs and websites, how do i do it so that my SEO ranking wouldn't be affected. Trust me am a complete novice to blogging but am keen to learn from the best guys on here.
Guys help me view the site and tell me how to proceed. Blessings!
Re: 5 Things I Wish I Knew Before I Started Blogging by multiMe(m): 11:32am On Apr 11, 2018
Thanks for those helpful points, Henry.

Kindly check www.foodfieldng.tk ... Bless me with your comments/suggestions on the areas that requires improvement.

Thanking you all.
Re: 5 Things I Wish I Knew Before I Started Blogging by biggy26: 11:57am On Apr 11, 2018
multiMe:
Thanks for those helpful points, Henry.

Kindly check www.foodfieldng.tk ... Bless me with your comments/suggestions on the areas that requires improvement.

Thanking you all.
Being that you chose a niche is good. Remain consistent and make sure it's your passion, so you don't burn out.
You guys can check mine, not a blog though: www.poontoe.com

2 Likes

Re: 5 Things I Wish I Knew Before I Started Blogging by multiMe(m): 1:21pm On Apr 11, 2018
Plenty thanks! @Biggy26

1 Like

Re: 5 Things I Wish I Knew Before I Started Blogging by lgboks(m): 1:51pm On Apr 11, 2018
thinkaxis:
Op truly knows what he is saying. Meanwhile check my signature to learn how to be self employed working for yourself online. Benefit from aliexpress affiliate program and make steady commissions while promoting your store.
Bro where hav you been
Re: 5 Things I Wish I Knew Before I Started Blogging by stephen000500: 3:37pm On Apr 11, 2018
Contact me if you need 6 months traffic to your blog or website. You are guaranteed 300 real humans, very low bounce rate and Google Adsense safe traffic.
COST - N5000 only.
Contact me or whats app here 09068755918

NOTE: This is not bot traffic. This traffic comes from social media and Google.

Re: 5 Things I Wish I Knew Before I Started Blogging by Folayat(f): 3:48pm On Apr 11, 2018
Nice blog @foodfield.ng. But need to work on the comment section, is not responding.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Things I Wish I Knew Before I Started Blogging by Folayat(f): 3:51pm On Apr 11, 2018
Pls any blogger in Sango-Ota, should please signify. U can reach me on 09031815426. I would like to me u

(1) (2) (Reply)

I Got Rich Through Nairaland Webmaster Section / Registering A Domain Name In Nigeria / How To Know The Wordpress Theme A Site Is Using

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.