Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,585 members, 7,809,116 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:51 PM

A Novice Asks: Why Do Political Parties Get To Choose The Electoral Candidate? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / A Novice Asks: Why Do Political Parties Get To Choose The Electoral Candidate? (385 Views)

APC, Other Parties Get Zero Vote Inekweremadu’s Ward / "Sign The Electoral Bill Now" - Saraki Advises President Buhari / 21 New Political Parties Get Registration Certificates From INEC Chairman (Photo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

A Novice Asks: Why Do Political Parties Get To Choose The Electoral Candidate? by Greene66: 12:25am On Apr 11, 2018
I am not a politician so pardon my ignorance whilst correcting my mistakes as regards to politics.
--

Question: Why do political parties get to choose the electoral candidate?
--

The 2019 elections have been trending recently with different sections of the society giving their views. But there is one thing that seems to be a mystery to me. The political party SELECTS the candidate we should VOTE FOR. I believe that as a citizen of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, it is my right to vote AND be voted-for. How does this translate to a political party CHOOSING who may be voted-for?

I understand that there are party "primaries" where the party members "vote" who shall represent them but these "members" CANNOT represent over 160 million people! It is not right. Every individual as long as the requirement is met should be allowed to contest and let the citizens make their choice with their votes not the political party FORCING the citizens to vote someone.

Many have speculated that voting the current government back to power come 2019 may be a ticket to Igbo presidency by 2023! This is absurd in my opinion. The citizens should not be forced into anything. I believe they have the power to determine who would be president. Can't 20 Igbo men freely contest for the presidency? Can't 20 Yoruba men freely contest for the presidency? Can't 20 Hausa/Fulani men freely contest? Why does a party like PDP or APC have the authority to ZONE who may be voted-for to a certain region? Forcing voters like you and I to vote someone we may not even care about?

Why can't Fayose contest for president under PDP even if PDP chooses Atiku?
Why can't Jonathan Re-contest for president under PDP alongside Fayose or someone else?
Why can't Ajimobi contest for president under APC alongside Buhari?
Why can't Saraki & Senator Misau contest under APC for president with Buhari & Ajimobi?

Why cant 100 men & women contest freely as their ability can? And let Nigerians choose who would be president NOT APC OR PDP!!

I would appreciate if anyone can educate me on this.

P.S I do not even have a PVC. tongue All i want is to be enlightened about how the voting system works. I am not voting anybody.
Re: A Novice Asks: Why Do Political Parties Get To Choose The Electoral Candidate? by Greene66: 12:26am On Apr 11, 2018
lalasticlala help me out

(1) (Reply)

“APC Will Not Escape Defeat In 2019” – PDP / Biafran Activists Protest Against Buhari To His Hearing(video) / Which Do You Prefer - Representative Democracy, Monarchy Or Kratocracy?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.