Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,569 members, 7,809,081 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:32 PM

In Defence Of Ibori: The Maximum Force Is Uncalled For! - Politics (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / In Defence Of Ibori: The Maximum Force Is Uncalled For! (13495 Views)

A Picture Of Ibori In 2009 After Asaba Court Ruled In His Favour / The Amazing Wealth Of Ibori / Picture Of Ibori- The Ogidigbodigbo Of Africa In The Klink (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: In Defence Of Ibori: The Maximum Force Is Uncalled For! by Osama10(m): 12:20am On May 17, 2010
A new word has been added to the dictionary, IBORI meaning a corrupt person, theif, fraud, muderer, fugitive.
Re: In Defence Of Ibori: The Maximum Force Is Uncalled For! by Nobody: 12:28am On May 17, 2010
OAM4J:

If the bold is your drift, fair enough, may be there is hope for you after all.

While I also wish that things should be done right, unfortunately we do not live in an ideal world, and if there is a nation close to it, certainly it's not Nigeria.

In this part of the world it's 'dog eats dog' or call it jungle justice. It is fine by me as far as all affected are guilty as charged.

While we work and campaign towards an ideal process, we will continue to celebrate each time one of the dogs eat another, may be, just may be, they will finish each other soon.

But to suggest we defend a guilty dog like Ibori or leave him alone because the process is not ideal enough to catch the bigger/other dogs is simply ridiculous

You guys amaze me with your (deliberate) blindness and sheer recalcitrant dogma. I asked 'three' simple questions (why why why), which you can't answer. I am not saying Ibori should be left alone until other 'thieves' are arrested, how many times do I have to repeat this for it to permeate some people's thick heads?? Read my last post WELL again and THINK without the mob mentality to arrive at a more robust conclusion.

It is even more ridiculous for you to accept the so-called dog it dog and haphazard style of 'fighting' corruption rather than see through the deceit and press for a more sincere approach. Thats why Nigeria may never progress during our life time. As was famously asserted by James Marie de Maistre, "every country has the government it deserves". An even more spectacular quote by Robert Kennedy says "every society gets the kind of criminal it deserves; equally true is that every society gets the kind of law enforcement it insists on". [did Bob have Naija in mind! Lol]

The point therefore is: I'm too discerning and analytical, by nature and nurtue, to be fooled or impressed by the sensationalism attached to the Ibori soap opera. I know it is the usual 'politically expedient' model of 'fight' against corruption. My annoyance is the over-kill attached to this one, where an entire 'war cabinet' had to be formed to annihilate the man as if it's a special case. Undiscerning foreign watchers would easily come to the laughable conclusion that this 'yibori' of a man must be Nigeria's own version of Bin Laden; in other words the single biggest threat to Nigeria's development, peace and progress!

I am not one of the cowardly, ignorant and gullible Nigerian masses. They fully deserve the kind of government and criminals they've got since they are content with knee-jerk, deceitful ways of running things. I INSIST on INSTITUTIONALISATION OF PROCESSES INCLUDING THE WAR AGAINST CORRUPTION. Any thing less is specious, arbitrary, unsustainable, and doomed to fail. Lets carry out a revolution if need be (a la the Ukranian 'Orange Revolution). But I certainly wouldn't rejoice at the jaundiced, heavy-handed persecution of one when such did not/does not apply to countless others in similar situations. I'm not be be deceived by all that third world, low budget flick. Nah.
Re: In Defence Of Ibori: The Maximum Force Is Uncalled For! by Sagamite(m): 12:31am On May 17, 2010
mbulela:

MET, please don't hand him to EFCC o!
try him and if guilty jail him there.
we can even get the charges against him here to be quashed.
afterall, that is what will happen.
Just freeze his assets and jail him there if he is guilty.
Ibori if you get to jail in the UK please don't bend down to collect soap o!
It is dangerous to the backside o!
a word is enough for the wise (thief).

Nah, the UK judicial system is too lenient. They will probably give him 7 years and parole him in 4.

Let him do the 4 years there first, and then, let them deport him to come and do another 10 years in Kirikiri.

I want him to go to UK first because he will not be able to prolong the case by using some stupid legal tactics or bribe anybody for the files to disappear.

By the time he does 4-7 years there, he would have lost all or most influence in Nigeria, so when he comes back to Naija, he will be swiftly dealt with.
Re: In Defence Of Ibori: The Maximum Force Is Uncalled For! by Sagamite(m): 12:39am On May 17, 2010
pro01:

You guys amaze me with your (deliberate) blindness and sheer recalcitrant dogma. I asked 'three' simple questions (why why why), which you can't answer. I am not saying Ibori should be left alone until other 'thieves' are arrested, how many times do I have to repeat this for it to permeate some people's thick heads?? Read my last post WELL again and THINK without the mob mentality to arrive at a more robust conclusion.

That is change of tone.

You came hear BLATANTLY to defend Ibori and question why the zeal to arrest him when it should have been directed at others.

pro01:

The point therefore is: I'm too discerning and analytical, by nature and nurtue, to be fooled or impressed by the sensationalism attached to the Ibori soap opera.

Sho!!! shocked shocked shocked shocked

LWKMD  grin grin grin grin grin

You surely are deluded.

pro01:

I am not one of the cowardly, ignorant and gullible Nigerian masses. They fully deserve the kind of government and criminals they've got since they are content with knee-jerk, deceitful ways of running things. I INSIST on INSTITUTIONALISATION OF PROCESSES INCLUDING THE WAR AGAINST CORRUPTION. Any thing less is specious, arbitrary, unsustainable, and doomed to fail. Lets carry out a revolution if need be (a la the Ukranian 'Orange Revolution). But I certainly wouldn't rejoice at the jaundiced, heavy-handed persecution of one when such did not/does not apply to countless others in similar situations. I'm not be be deceived by all that third world, low budget flick. Nah.

Those virtues are no doubt very good.

But a "discerning and analytical, by nature and nurtue" person (as you claim you are) will know the strive for such virtues, despite being good to fight for, should not be fought at the expense of other ongoing crackdowns on OBVIOUS looters. It should be made a parallel fight, not made a conflicting one. That is what a "discerning and analytical, by nature and nurtue" person would know.

Basically, you will support the case against Ibori, but then propose your argument about others still not yet arrested. Not use theirs as an excuse to chastise Ibori's arrest. Like, for example, calling it heavy-handed persecution.

"Discerning and analytical, by nature and nurtue" my bleeping arse! A very rich gasconade.
Re: In Defence Of Ibori: The Maximum Force Is Uncalled For! by OAM4J: 1:11am On May 17, 2010
Sagamite:

Those virtues are no doubt very good.

But a "discerning and analytical, by nature and nurtue" person (as you claim you are) will know the strive for such virtues, despite being good to fight for, should not be fought at the expense of other ongoing crackdowns on OBVIOUS looters. It should be made a parallel fight, not made a conflicting one. That is what a "discerning and analytical, by nature and nurtue" person would know.

Basically, you will support the case against Ibori, but then propose your argument about others still not yet arrested. Not use theirs as an excuse to chastise Ibori's arrest. Like, for example, calling it heavy-handed persecution.

"Discerning and analytical, by nature and nurtue" my bleeping arse! A very rich gasconade.

How I wish he gets it
Re: In Defence Of Ibori: The Maximum Force Is Uncalled For! by Sagamite(m): 1:15am On May 17, 2010
OAM4J:

How I wish he gets it

He will not, I can guarantee you.
Re: In Defence Of Ibori: The Maximum Force Is Uncalled For! by Orikinla(m): 1:36pm On May 17, 2010
After all the EFCC brouhaha over Diepreye Alamieyeseigha, Lucky Igbinedion and the other crooks and rogues in the PDP, they are free men today and in fact, Diepreye Alamieyeseigha has recovered some of his million dollar properties he acquired with stolen public funds.

It is a waste of time engaging in a debate with those who have failed to understand that "he Who Comes Into Equity Must Come With Clean Hands."

This is my final response on this thread.

[size=14pt]
The U.S. must not accept corruption in Nigeria otherwise the U.S.-Nigeria Binational Commission will fail.

The new President of Nigeria, Mr. Goodluck Ebele Jonathan must do the right thing by telling Nigerians the truth on the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC)'s case against his first wife Mrs. Patience Jonathan.

A group of Nigerians have asked him to address the case of money laundering implicating his wife, but he has deliberately ignored it and is witch-hunting Mr. James Ibori, the former governor of Delta state and a fellow member of the ruling People's Democratic Party (PDP), the most corrupt political party in Africa. Many key members of the PDP have been indicted in the Halliburton Bribery Scandal and Daimler bribery scandal.

It is hypocritical to dine and wine with those who are either corrupt public officials or accomplices of corrupt members of the same indicted political party in Nigeria.

http://blogs.state.gov/index.php/entries/us_nigeria_launch_binational_commission/
Posted on Thu May 13, 2010[/size]
Re: In Defence Of Ibori: The Maximum Force Is Uncalled For! by chidichris(m): 2:19pm On May 17, 2010
many of us here are too young to understand the country, i mean too young in reasoning. bode george is in jail but he is living a better life more than 90% of nigerians outside.
bode george stole ovr N100b and is serving a two yr term when millions of nigerians will ask for n1m to go for five yrs.
who among these celebrants is living a better life than alams? we are been used by these criminals.
the battle is not about corruption rather it is supremacy.
we all know how much pdp wasted in their efforts to take over anambra state via soludo. anambra is ojukwu's constituency while abia state is for orji uzor kalu. ibori is on his way to stabilize his ownership of delta but they can't let him be.
the idea or move here is to get nigeria under one unbrella and make it a one party system of govt in practice while on the pages of the newspapers, it will remain a multi-party system.
the only move by the efcc to the north met abokis on rampage and since then, who have heard a corrupt northern gov?
we claim a one nigeria but we have more than 100 constitutions.
Re: In Defence Of Ibori: The Maximum Force Is Uncalled For! by rasputinn(m): 4:00pm On May 17, 2010
chidichris:

many of us here are too young to understand the country, i mean too young in reasoning. bode george is in jail but he is living a better life more than 90% of nigerians outside.
bode george stole ovr N100b and is serving a two yr term when millions of nigerians will ask for n1m to go for five yrs.
who among these celebrants is living a better life than alams? we are been used by these criminals.
the battle is not about corruption rather it is supremacy.
we all know how much pdp wasted in their efforts to take over anambra state via soludo. anambra is ojukwu's constituency while abia state is for orji uzor kalu. ibori is on his way to stabilize his ownership of delta but they can't let him be.
the idea or move here is to get nigeria under one unbrella and make it a one party system of govt in practice while on the pages of the newspapers, it will remain a multi-party system.
the only move by the efcc to the north met abokis on rampage and since then, who have heard a corrupt northern gov?
we claim a one nigeria but we have more than 100 constitutions.

The above meaningless post above reallyconfirms you squarely in the category you described in line one of your blab
Re: In Defence Of Ibori: The Maximum Force Is Uncalled For! by rasputinn(m): 4:03pm On May 17, 2010
Osama10:

A new word has been added to the dictionary, IBORI meaning a corrupt person, theif, fraud, muderer, fugitive.

Nothing could be more succinctly put
Re: In Defence Of Ibori: The Maximum Force Is Uncalled For! by rasputinn(m): 4:07pm On May 17, 2010
I heard the number of Nigerians in British jails is exactly 2000
Well that figure is about to increase by at least one to make it 2001
You guessed right,Ibori will soon make the list
Re: In Defence Of Ibori: The Maximum Force Is Uncalled For! by OAM4J: 4:21pm On May 17, 2010
^^ lol grin
Re: In Defence Of Ibori: The Maximum Force Is Uncalled For! by GeorgeD1(m): 6:46pm On May 17, 2010
una sure say dem go allow dis man return to nigeria so? grin
Re: In Defence Of Ibori: The Maximum Force Is Uncalled For! by chidichris(m): 8:17pm On May 17, 2010
i am begining to feel i am in a kiddies avenue otherwise matured people will know that uk has one of the world's highest level of human right activists.
what is the uk govt working towards? the seizure of whatever funds ibori must have brought to their country.
how many of our governmental officials are sevring or have served jail terms in uk?
why and how did alams leave uk? whatever means that was done is still possible in case ibori goes there. by the way, why was alams not extradicted to london if he really escaped from there?
children, grow up pls.
the main purpose of this noise is to keep ibori away why the election lasts to enable them take back delta state.
Re: In Defence Of Ibori: The Maximum Force Is Uncalled For! by Nobody: 10:19pm On May 17, 2010
"To follow foolish precedents and wink with both our eyes is easier than to THINK". [Emphasis mine]
- William Cowper.

That's the predicament of the pitiable, mentally indolent Nigerian masses. . .embodied by the NL 'mob'.
Re: In Defence Of Ibori: The Maximum Force Is Uncalled For! by jokingmary(m): 9:38am On May 18, 2010
I think the poster is right cause nothing has been done to OBJ and others
Re: In Defence Of Ibori: The Maximum Force Is Uncalled For! by Sagamite(m): 9:53am On May 18, 2010
pro01:

"To follow foolish precedents and wink with both our eyes is easier than to THINK". [Emphasis mine]
- William Cowper.

That's the predicament of the pitiable, mentally indolent Nigerian masses. . .embodied by the NL 'mob'.

OAM4J, I told you he will never get it. undecided
Re: In Defence Of Ibori: The Maximum Force Is Uncalled For! by mistarich(m): 1:03pm On May 18, 2010
It should not end with ibori but all the other crooks that has brought this country to it's needs need to be punished! To an extent i buy into the poster's ideology.
Re: In Defence Of Ibori: The Maximum Force Is Uncalled For! by Ourturn(m): 2:49pm On May 18, 2010
Trial of Ibori Associates; tension as London case closes
Saturday, 15 May 2010 18:17 Elombah.com

Evidence in the trial if Ibori associates - Udoamaka Okoronkwo, Christine Ibori and Bimpe Pogoson, his private secretary, - at the Southwark Crown Court ended on Friday 7 May, 2010 as the London matter enters into week 12. Wass, the prosecuting attorney has giving her closing speech this week, as have all the teams. The presiding judge has finished his summing up this weekend of May 14, 2010.

Elombah.com correspondent reported that as the parties filed out of the court yesterday, there was palpable tension in the air as everyone now waits for the jury to consider the evidence and reach their verdict next week, probably Tuesday.

The opening of the prosecution case referred to "rags to riches". Because of the Nigerian acquittal the prosecution are not permitted to make reference to corruption or theft.

In the words of Sasha Wass, QC, for the prosecution, she noted that in 1999, Ibori was having trouble paying his mortgage, a situation that changed radically once he got into office. She asked the jury to ask themselves such questions as: Where did the money come from? Was the money legitimate?

The question posed to the jury was: how come that the Ibori that was finding it difficult to keep up with his mortgage payments in 1991 could suddenly be transferring millions of dollars into his UK account in 2002-2003?

But the rags to riches argument being the basis of the prosecution case has been completely attacked by the defence team. Surprisingly, what became apparent during the trial was that James Ibori was an extremely wealthy man prior to his entering into Nigerian politics.

Evidence, which was not disclosed to the defence teams but was along available to the investigators and came to light during trial included an entry of $475,000 in Ibori's travellers cheques in 1993; a $1.6 million payment to James Ibori in 1997; over $1,000,000 in the US Citibank account; significant and substantial revenues from his private company MER engineering limited which funded the purchase of JI's interests in the challenger jet, revenues from business and other consultancy services.

The prosecution found it difficult to contest that these were not legitimate income pre-1999. The defence insists these incomes also funded the James Ibori election campaign in 1999 and it was discovered an earlier campaign in 1998. These were evidenced as being James Ibori's personal wealth.

Evidence was also tendered of Ibori’s Asset Declaration Form with the Code of Conduct Bureau.

The declaration forms talk of assets belonging to or in the name from the person completing the form and not to assets owned by Trustees. The prosecution insists that the Asset Declaration Form filed by Ibori failed to disclose his substantial wealth.

But the defence sought to establish that James Ibori did not incorrectly complete his declaration of assets form. They also sought to differentiate between assets owned by Ibori as an individual and assets owned by companies or trusts.

The Form is specific to actual assets owned by the individual and makes no reference to assets owned by companies or trusts.

According to the defence, all transfers from JI's business interests were bank to bank and once a proper tracing exercise had been undertaken the source of these funds can quite easily be identified and "it is clear that none of these emanated from Delta state".

The figures in issue are also far smaller from the numbers being bandied around. The court has heard that the maximum amount involved in this case does not exceed £5m.

The case is really about rags to riches. In 1991, James Ibori's UK home was in the process of being repossessed. He had not kept up payments on the mortgage. He however did manage to discharge this later. The implication of this is that he could not afford to pay his mortgage and this leads to an inference that he had no money. This is the root of the case. Because he is not prepared to explain what happened between 1991 and 1999, the UK prosecution want a jury to draw a conclusion that he had no money during this period.

In accordance with standard criminal law in the United Kingdom, it is upon the prosecution to establish its case. And because it cannot there is a quantum leap to 1999. Because although he failed to list the assets on his declaration form at the time of becoming the Governor the inference is that he had no assets.

The prosecution completely ignores the issues surrounding Trustees and the effect of their appointment whereby the assets actually then belong to the trustees. This is basic trust of law.

Next is Ibori's sister, Christine. She effectively bought three properties in the UK between the periods 2000 and 2005. She bought these properties with the assistance of a series of mortgages. She put up the initial deposit which the Crown say is the stolen funds from Delta state.

Christine has been charged in respect of allegedly deceiving the mortgage companies in respect of these. In all three applications, they say that she has exaggerated her income and therefore deceived the mortgage companies.

During the closing arguments at the Southwark Crown Court in London in the case against Christine; the prosecutor drew attention to the monies that Okoronkwo, deposited into Christine's accounts, stressing that the evidence about bogus contracts was found in a search of Christine's house conducted by DC Clark.

But according to the defence, these mortgages are all up-to-date and whilst one relates to her principal residence the other are buy-to-let mortgages. The mortgage companies have suffered no losses at all.

The prosecution claims the Delta State’s incumbent governor, Emmanuel Uduaghan, and former Principal Secretary to former President Umaru Yar'Adua, Mr. David Edevbie, personally authorised payments that were made to one Christine Ibori.

The duo, according to the prosecution team, made the said payments to Ibori's sister, Christine Ibie Ibori, while they were secretary to the state government and commissioner for finance respectively.

According to Ms. Wass, those payments included one of £69,000 and another of £79,000. Reference was also made to N39 million in cash, which was delivered to her in two boxes, stressing that a company called KOLN was used to transfer funds out of Nigeria for the benefit of the governor's sister, and into her account.

On the issue of transfers, the second key witness was from Countrywide Paymasters who confirmed that it was common practice for the company to make international authority transfers on behalf of its clients outside the banking system. They achieved far superior exchange rates then were being offered by the banks. This is not illegal as they were fully regulated by the Nigerian Central bank.

The prosecution questioned how being a housewife in England had given Christine the authority to do business with the commissioner in Nigeria.

The case against Pogoson is that she was acting as James Ibori's personal private assistant but however being paid for by Delta state. She also ran MER engineering limited. The defence was able to show that the Nigeria tradition provides for the personal assistant to be engaged by a governor and to be paid for by the state. They insist there is nothing wrong with this.

The prosecution said there were four main transactions, one of which involved diversion of funds into Christine's account for her to invest in property. In another account, which involved MER Company, money was diverted from Barclays in Knightsbridge to Schroders in Switzerland that was to be used to finance the purchase of a jet for Ibori.

During the course of the trial, evidence came to light of a file of documents which had transaction papers in respect of James's activities in the 90s. There was clearly a dearth of activity which shows that Mr Ibori was an active business and this is an. Furthermore MER engineering limited had business interests in the rental of houseboats to companies like Shell and Chevron since 1997. The revenue yield from this business was in excess of $2 million a year. The defence have uncovered business dealings which were not government related pre-1999, in fact as early as 1992 which show a total income over the period to be in excess of $7 million.

The defence put forward that Ibori's UK properties were all acquired from 1991 to 2005. There are in fact only three properties involved. The first is his property at Abbey Road which was acquired in 1991. Second was the main family residence acquired in 2001 and the final property was the Dorset won for his children's schooling. There are no other property assets in the UK.

According to the defence, it was MER engineering that funded James Ibori's share of the jet investment in the UK. Whilst the jet purchase was $20 million, Ibori's funding was only $4.5 million. The rest was funded by third-party investors.

It appears that what has been published in the media up till now has been grossly exaggerated and sensationalised. Evidently, Ibori's UK assets are nothing more than his three properties and are investment in the jet purchase.

Nigerians would be surprised that of all the billions of dollars that the Ibori associates are accused with embezzling; the only crime for which they are being presently tried is mortgage fraud! The inference is that the MET Police cannot produce evidence for the other crimes alleged. You may recall certain media talking of sums in excess of $80/100m dollars.

A legal counsel told Elombah.com that the judge has been extremely lenient towards the prosecution. Any application that has been made by the defence teams has been dismissed.

Enough latitude was given to the prosecution. An example of such was the issue surrounding the amendment of charges as against Udoamaka Okoronkwo. After the evidence had been given and closed, the judge agreed to allow the prosecution to change its indictment.

Another related to the strict direction of the charge to Udoamaka Okoronkwo not being able to tell the jury that all charges against her in Nigeria had been dismissed and the matter was being appealed, as the judge commented this would be unfair to her.

Effectively, she was prevented by Judge Hardy from being able to tell the jury that the case against her in Nigeria has been discharged and furthermore the allegations in Nigeria were identical to the ones being prosecuted in the UK.

However, the prosecution was also handicapped because they could not introduce evidence of corruption from Nigeria. They had to prove that the manner money was transfered from Nigeria infers money laundering.

The UK prosecution has continually changed its case. In the end the defence teams pointed to the case being changed at least five times during the presentation of the prosecution trial.

[list]
[li][list]
[li]In the end it seemed that the prosecution finally accepted that James Ibori was not a pauper but a very successful and wealthy individual from 1991. The defence teams identified a number of personal and private shareholdings which had been built up since 1991. The dividends have continually accumulated over the years.[/li]
[li][/li]
[/list][/li]
[li][/li]
[/list]

As to the mortgage allegations, there is no supporting evidence to establish linkage of theft or corruption from Delta state. The defence teams repeatedly described the case as "sophistry", in other words to clever and subtle but misleading reasoning.

A new dimension to the trial occurred on Wednesday 12 May. James Ibori was arrested by authorities in Dubai on suspicion of money laundering and conspiracy to defraud.

According to the UK authorities, Ibori “was detained at the request of the Metropolitan Police Service (MPS) and is due to appear in court in due course.

"The UK authorities are seeking extradition to the UK.

"On 2 August 2007 an Application of Restraint was heard at Southwark Crown Court in relation to worldwide assets worth $35million belonging to James Ibori. The application was successful and made under the Proceeds of Crime Act. It related to business and private finances.

"On 1 October 2007 the application was reviewed at a further hearing at Southwark Crown Court and the Restraint was discharged. On 8 October 2007 leave to appeal the discharge was granted at the High Court and pending a full appeal by the Crown the Application of Restraint was reinstated."

Meanwhile Elombah.com learnt that EFCC’s operatives have arrived in Dubai.

A source in the commission said: "Our operatives are already there. We also want Ibori extradited to Nigeria to answer charges on the disposal of 528m shares belonging to the Delta State Government”.

The EFCC had on April 13 declared Ibori wanted in connection with alleged diversion of the shares in Oceanic Bank to guarantee over N44billion facility granted Ascot Offshore Nigeria Limited by Intercontinental Bank.

Although Ibori had gone to court to seek redress, he had refused to surrender to the EFCC.

The development forced the Acting President to order the Inspector-General of Police, Mr. Ogbonnaya Onovo, to launch a manhunt for him.

An attempt in April by the police to arrest Ibori at his country home in Oghara, Delta State failed following resistance by some militants.

http://elombah.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=3591:trial-of-ibori-associates-tension-as-london-trial-closes&catid=48:world-news&Itemid=69
Re: In Defence Of Ibori: The Maximum Force Is Uncalled For! by Ourturn(m): 3:09pm On May 18, 2010
This is not intended to act as Pro-Ibori, but the real essence is to let people know what is happening in the London court, as we are tired of the biased nature of reporting by Sahara Reporter and Next Newspaper. As for Next, the case of Nuhu Ribadu and that of El-Rufai has justified the claims of many that, these Newspapers are really not feeding us well, but with the food that they feel is good for us, which is not the true nature of journalism/reporting. Let them try and be as neutral as possible, and keep sentiments aside. A friend in London that have been attending the case referred me to this sight, and affirmed the true happenings in the court. Whichever way it is, the truth will prevail. May the guilty one go straight to jail, and the innocent one not suffer unduly.

Meanwhile, after James Ibori, who else? I know of so many others waiting to be picked up, but are still roaming the streets free men. They even stole more than Ibori. That is why I am asking who next? Or is EFCC going to close shop after Ibori's case? Is it true that after Ibori's case, Sahara Reporters and Next Newspapers (that are already debt ridden) will pack their wares elsewhere?.

If EFCC have forgotten what they earlier told us, let them visit these site, and tell us who will be next, after Ibori?
http://elombah.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1126:of-looters-leaders-and-the-efcc-list-&catid=25:politics&Itemid=92
Re: In Defence Of Ibori: The Maximum Force Is Uncalled For! by OAM4J: 4:39pm On May 18, 2010
pro01:

- William Cowper.

Why not fault what we said rather than this rant of nonsense.

Sagamite:

OAM4J, I told you he will never get it. undecided

shakes head in his pity
Re: In Defence Of Ibori: The Maximum Force Is Uncalled For! by GeorgeD1(m): 5:36pm On May 18, 2010
jokingmary:

I think the poster is right cause nothing has been done to OBJ and others

it must start with one person. oya, forward march with ibori! angry
Re: In Defence Of Ibori: The Maximum Force Is Uncalled For! by Sagamite(m): 6:26pm On May 18, 2010
OAM4J:

Why not fault what we said rather than this rant of nonsense.

LWKMD grin grin grin grin grin

He is not intellectually developed to do such.
Re: In Defence Of Ibori: The Maximum Force Is Uncalled For! by DeepSight(m): 6:29pm On May 18, 2010
@ Pro01 -

You are severely, tragically, regrettably, horrifyingly, astonishingly, appallingly misguided.

What is of deep concern, is that in your tragic misconceptions and incoherent arguments you comically presume yourself to be "analytical" in the least.

Son, you are lost in the woods.
Re: In Defence Of Ibori: The Maximum Force Is Uncalled For! by mamagee3(f): 6:30pm On May 18, 2010
Sagamite:

LWKMD  grin grin grin grin grin

He is not intellectually developed to do such.
grin grin grin grin grin
Re: In Defence Of Ibori: The Maximum Force Is Uncalled For! by Ourturn(m): 6:43pm On May 18, 2010
Trial of Ibori Associates; tension as London case closes
Saturday, 15 May 2010 18:17 Elombah.com

Evidence in the trial if Ibori associates - Udoamaka Okoronkwo, Christine Ibori and Bimpe Pogoson, his private secretary, - at the Southwark Crown Court ended on Friday 7 May, 2010 as the London matter enters into week 12. Wass, the prosecuting attorney has giving her closing speech this week, as have all the teams. The presiding judge has finished his summing up this weekend of May 14, 2010.

Elombah.com correspondent reported that as the parties filed out of the court yesterday, there was palpable tension in the air as everyone now waits for the jury to consider the evidence and reach their verdict next week, probably Tuesday.

The opening of the prosecution case referred to "rags to riches". Because of the Nigerian acquittal the prosecution are not permitted to make reference to corruption or theft.

In the words of Sasha Wass, QC, for the prosecution, she noted that in 1999, Ibori was having trouble paying his mortgage, a situation that changed radically once he got into office. She asked the jury to ask themselves such questions as: Where did the money come from? Was the money legitimate?

The question posed to the jury was: how come that the Ibori that was finding it difficult to keep up with his mortgage payments in 1991 could suddenly be transferring millions of dollars into his UK account in 2002-2003?

But the rags to riches argument being the basis of the prosecution case has been completely attacked by the defence team. Surprisingly, what became apparent during the trial was that James Ibori was an extremely wealthy man prior to his entering into Nigerian politics.

Evidence, which was not disclosed to the defence teams but was along available to the investigators and came to light during trial included an entry of $475,000 in Ibori's travellers cheques in 1993; a $1.6 million payment to James Ibori in 1997; over $1,000,000 in the US Citibank account; significant and substantial revenues from his private company MER engineering limited which funded the purchase of JI's interests in the challenger jet, revenues from business and other consultancy services.

The prosecution found it difficult to contest that these were not legitimate income pre-1999. The defence insists these incomes also funded the James Ibori election campaign in 1999 and it was discovered an earlier campaign in 1998. These were evidenced as being James Ibori's personal wealth.

Evidence was also tendered of Ibori’s Asset Declaration Form with the Code of Conduct Bureau.

The declaration forms talk of assets belonging to or in the name from the person completing the form and not to assets owned by Trustees. The prosecution insists that the Asset Declaration Form filed by Ibori failed to disclose his substantial wealth.

But the defence sought to establish that James Ibori did not incorrectly complete his declaration of assets form. They also sought to differentiate between assets owned by Ibori as an individual and assets owned by companies or trusts.

The Form is specific to actual assets owned by the individual and makes no reference to assets owned by companies or trusts.

According to the defence, all transfers from JI's business interests were bank to bank and once a proper tracing exercise had been undertaken the source of these funds can quite easily be identified and "it is clear that none of these emanated from Delta state".

The figures in issue are also far smaller from the numbers being bandied around. The court has heard that the maximum amount involved in this case does not exceed £5m.

The case is really about rags to riches. In 1991, James Ibori's UK home was in the process of being repossessed. He had not kept up payments on the mortgage. He however did manage to discharge this later. The implication of this is that he could not afford to pay his mortgage and this leads to an inference that he had no money. This is the root of the case. Because he is not prepared to explain what happened between 1991 and 1999, the UK prosecution want a jury to draw a conclusion that he had no money during this period.

In accordance with standard criminal law in the United Kingdom, it is upon the prosecution to establish its case. And because it cannot there is a quantum leap to 1999. Because although he failed to list the assets on his declaration form at the time of becoming the Governor the inference is that he had no assets.

The prosecution completely ignores the issues surrounding Trustees and the effect of their appointment whereby the assets actually then belong to the trustees. This is basic trust of law.

Next is Ibori's sister, Christine. She effectively bought three properties in the UK between the periods 2000 and 2005. She bought these properties with the assistance of a series of mortgages. She put up the initial deposit which the Crown say is the stolen funds from Delta state.

Christine has been charged in respect of allegedly deceiving the mortgage companies in respect of these. In all three applications, they say that she has exaggerated her income and therefore deceived the mortgage companies.

During the closing arguments at the Southwark Crown Court in London in the case against Christine; the prosecutor drew attention to the monies that Okoronkwo, deposited into Christine's accounts, stressing that the evidence about bogus contracts was found in a search of Christine's house conducted by DC Clark.

But according to the defence, these mortgages are all up-to-date and whilst one relates to her principal residence the other are buy-to-let mortgages. The mortgage companies have suffered no losses at all.

The prosecution claims the Delta State’s incumbent governor, Emmanuel Uduaghan, and former Principal Secretary to former President Umaru Yar'Adua, Mr. David Edevbie, personally authorised payments that were made to one Christine Ibori.

The duo, according to the prosecution team, made the said payments to Ibori's sister, Christine Ibie Ibori, while they were secretary to the state government and commissioner for finance respectively.

According to Ms. Wass, those payments included one of £69,000 and another of £79,000. Reference was also made to N39 million in cash, which was delivered to her in two boxes, stressing that a company called KOLN was used to transfer funds out of Nigeria for the benefit of the governor's sister, and into her account.

On the issue of transfers, the second key witness was from Countrywide Paymasters who confirmed that it was common practice for the company to make international authority transfers on behalf of its clients outside the banking system. They achieved far superior exchange rates then were being offered by the banks. This is not illegal as they were fully regulated by the Nigerian Central bank.

The prosecution questioned how being a housewife in England had given Christine the authority to do business with the commissioner in Nigeria.

The case against Pogoson is that she was acting as James Ibori's personal private assistant but however being paid for by Delta state. She also ran MER engineering limited. The defence was able to show that the Nigeria tradition provides for the personal assistant to be engaged by a governor and to be paid for by the state. They insist there is nothing wrong with this.

The prosecution said there were four main transactions, one of which involved diversion of funds into Christine's account for her to invest in property. In another account, which involved MER Company, money was diverted from Barclays in Knightsbridge to Schroders in Switzerland that was to be used to finance the purchase of a jet for Ibori.

During the course of the trial, evidence came to light of a file of documents which had transaction papers in respect of James's activities in the 90s. There was clearly a dearth of activity which shows that Mr Ibori was an active business and this is an. Furthermore MER engineering limited had business interests in the rental of houseboats to companies like Shell and Chevron since 1997. The revenue yield from this business was in excess of $2 million a year. The defence have uncovered business dealings which were not government related pre-1999, in fact as early as 1992 which show a total income over the period to be in excess of $7 million.

The defence put forward that Ibori's UK properties were all acquired from 1991 to 2005. There are in fact only three properties involved. The first is his property at Abbey Road which was acquired in 1991. Second was the main family residence acquired in 2001 and the final property was the Dorset won for his children's schooling. There are no other property assets in the UK.

According to the defence, it was MER engineering that funded James Ibori's share of the jet investment in the UK. Whilst the jet purchase was $20 million, Ibori's funding was only $4.5 million. The rest was funded by third-party investors.

It appears that what has been published in the media up till now has been grossly exaggerated and sensationalised. Evidently, Ibori's UK assets are nothing more than his three properties and are investment in the jet purchase.

Nigerians would be surprised that of all the billions of dollars that the Ibori associates are accused with embezzling; the only crime for which they are being presently tried is mortgage fraud! The inference is that the MET Police cannot produce evidence for the other crimes alleged. You may recall certain media talking of sums in excess of $80/100m dollars.

A legal counsel told Elombah.com that the judge has been extremely lenient towards the prosecution. Any application that has been made by the defence teams has been dismissed.

Enough latitude was given to the prosecution. An example of such was the issue surrounding the amendment of charges as against Udoamaka Okoronkwo. After the evidence had been given and closed, the judge agreed to allow the prosecution to change its indictment.

Another related to the strict direction of the charge to Udoamaka Okoronkwo not being able to tell the jury that all charges against her in Nigeria had been dismissed and the matter was being appealed, as the judge commented this would be unfair to her.

Effectively, she was prevented by Judge Hardy from being able to tell the jury that the case against her in Nigeria has been discharged and furthermore the allegations in Nigeria were identical to the ones being prosecuted in the UK.

However, the prosecution was also handicapped because they could not introduce evidence of corruption from Nigeria. They had to prove that the manner money was transfered from Nigeria infers money laundering.

The UK prosecution has continually changed its case. In the end the defence teams pointed to the case being changed at least five times during the presentation of the prosecution trial.

In the end it seemed that the prosecution finally accepted that James Ibori was not a pauper but a very successful and wealthy individual from 1991. The defence teams identified a number of personal and private shareholdings which had been built up since 1991. The dividends have continually accumulated over the years.

As to the mortgage allegations, there is no supporting evidence to establish linkage of theft or corruption from Delta state. The defence teams repeatedly described the case as "sophistry", in other words to clever and subtle but misleading reasoning.

A new dimension to the trial occurred on Wednesday 12 May. James Ibori was arrested by authorities in Dubai on suspicion of money laundering and conspiracy to defraud.

According to the UK authorities, Ibori “was detained at the request of the Metropolitan Police Service (MPS) and is due to appear in court in due course.

"The UK authorities are seeking extradition to the UK.

"On 2 August 2007 an Application of Restraint was heard at Southwark Crown Court in relation to worldwide assets worth $35million belonging to James Ibori. The application was successful and made under the Proceeds of Crime Act. It related to business and private finances.

"On 1 October 2007 the application was reviewed at a further hearing at Southwark Crown Court and the Restraint was discharged. On 8 October 2007 leave to appeal the discharge was granted at the High Court and pending a full appeal by the Crown the Application of Restraint was reinstated."

Meanwhile Elombah.com learnt that EFCC’s operatives have arrived in Dubai.

A source in the commission said: "Our operatives are already there. We also want Ibori extradited to Nigeria to answer charges on the disposal of 528m shares belonging to the Delta State Government”.

The EFCC had on April 13 declared Ibori wanted in connection with alleged diversion of the shares in Oceanic Bank to guarantee over N44billion facility granted Ascot Offshore Nigeria Limited by Intercontinental Bank.

Although Ibori had gone to court to seek redress, he had refused to surrender to the EFCC.

The development forced the Acting President to order the Inspector-General of Police, Mr. Ogbonnaya Onovo, to launch a manhunt for him.

An attempt in April by the police to arrest Ibori at his country home in Oghara, Delta State failed following resistance by some militants.

www.elombah.com

http://elombah.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=3591:trial-of-ibori-associates-tension-as-london-trial-closes&catid=48:world-news&Itemid=69

****THIS IS THE TRUE PICTURE OF IBORI'S CASE, AND NOT THE BIASED REPORTS WE ARE GETTING FROM SAHARA REPORTERS. IF IBORI GOES TO JAIL, IT IS BECAUSE HE STOLE AND THE JURY ARE NOT CONVINCED ABOUT THE ABOVE, AND IF HE DOES NOT, IT MEANS, THE JURY FEELS, HE IS INNOCENT. THIS IS HOW A CASE SHOULD BE REPORTED, AND NOT THE JUNK FROM SAHARA REPORTERS. THE SITE WAS RECOMMENDED TO ME BY A FRIEND IN UK, CONSTANTLY ATTENDING THE COURT SESSION. JUDGEMENT COMES UP NEXT WEEK****
Re: In Defence Of Ibori: The Maximum Force Is Uncalled For! by Ourturn(m): 7:01pm On May 18, 2010
Ibori: Judgement day at London trial
Tuesday, 18 May 2010 00:00

Update: indications are the jury is still out, and their deliberations continue: It is Judgement day in the long running trial if the associates of James Ibori- Udoamaka Okoronkwo, Christine Ibori and Bimpe Pogoson - at the Southwark Crown Court now in its 12th week. Elombah.com reporter at the Southwark court reported that the judge summed up his direction to the twelve member jury of about 5 blacks, 2 Asian and 5 whites.

The reporter also said the Judge seemed to include things in the testimonies which weren’t there when he was summarising the facts and evidence of the case to the jury because one of the counsels pointed that out later and the court termed them as immaterial facts.

As the jury starts their deliberation today, expectations are high that they could have their noon beak and return to deliver their verdict later in the day. (indications are the jury is still out, and their deliberations continue tomorow)

The three women reported to be in "good spirits" yesterday afternoon were charged with mortgage fraud and money laundering.

Meanwhile the process for the extradition of former governor of Delta State, Chief James Ibori, following his arrest by INTERPOL last Wednesday in Dubai, United Arab Emirates, began on Monday.

Operatives of the Metropolitan Police Service and the operatives of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) exchanged intelligence and documents in Dubai that would pave the way for his extradition to London to face money laundering charges.

Chief Ibori, was granted bail last week as the former Delta State governor was arrested at the request of the Metropolitan police for various alleged financial offences perpetrated during his tenure as governor of the oil-rich Niger Delta State.

*****LATEST ON IBORI'S CASE IN LONDON******
Re: In Defence Of Ibori: The Maximum Force Is Uncalled For! by Ourturn(m): 7:09pm On May 18, 2010
FOR MORE GENUINE INFORMATION, PLEASE CHECK:

FORGET THAT JUNK WE ARE BEING FEED BY SAHARA "OJORO" REPORTERS. IF IBORI GOES TO JAIL, IT IS BECAUSE HE IS CORRUPT, AND THE JURY ARE NOT CONVINCED, ABOUT HIS BEING RICH BEFORE 1999. IF HE IS DISCHARGED, IT IS BECAUSE THE JURY FEELS IBORI HAS NO CASE TO ANSWER.

That is how a case should be reported. No wonder they are both going broke (Sahara Reporters and NEXT Newspapers). They should learn how to report a case without being biased.
Re: In Defence Of Ibori: The Maximum Force Is Uncalled For! by Hardtalk: 11:02pm On May 18, 2010
This is more like fair journalism. We all know that Sahara Reporters can be very over zealous sometimes, when reporting Ibori's case. I wished they always do same for their small gods, "Ribadu and El-Rufai"? NEXT Newspaper is even worst, when it comes to E-Rufai. I want to believe El-Rufai is a major shareholder there.
Re: In Defence Of Ibori: The Maximum Force Is Uncalled For! by GeorgeD1(m): 11:04am On May 19, 2010
i hope they monitor him closely so he doesn't run away like he did in nigeria. grin
Re: In Defence Of Ibori: The Maximum Force Is Uncalled For! by Nobody: 12:28pm On May 19, 2010
Deep Sight:

@ Pro01 -

You are severely, tragically, regrettably, horrifyingly, astonishingly, appallingly misguided.

What is of deep concern, is that in your tragic misconceptions and incoherent arguments you comically presume yourself to be "analytical" in the least.

I see you're a certified member of the incorrigible 'confederacy of dunces'. Throwing words about in a disjointed, inelegant, and out of context manner does not excuse your paucity of intellect. You have the democratic right either agree or disagree with my well considered views, but embarking on needless name-calling is symptomatic of a deeper mental disease - for which I'll strongly advice you seek treatment.

I insist that the sense in my submissions, as regards the Ibori melodrama, can stand the test of critical reasoning. You people have not disproved my points or proffered sensible answers to my posers, rather you resort to misplaced personal attacks (an indication of intellectual deficiency). I cannot keep repeating the core points of my argument, lest I start sounding like a broken record. If you people (vulgar mob in fact) are so rabidly obsessed with Ibori that your brains have been neutralized, that's your cup of tea. Try venting your spleen on Ibori's picture if that makes you feel better; that is none of pro01's business.
Orikinla:

After all the EFCC brouhaha over Diepreye Alamieyeseigha, Lucky Igbinedion and the other crooks and rogues in the PDP, they are free men today and in fact, Diepreye Alamieyeseigha has recovered some of his million dollar properties he acquired with stolen public funds.

It is a waste of time engaging in a debate with those who have failed to understand that "he Who Comes Into Equity Must Come With Clean Hands."

This is my final response on this thread.

Re: In Defence Of Ibori: The Maximum Force Is Uncalled For! by Sagamite(m): 12:39pm On May 19, 2010
pro01:

I see you're a certified member of the incorrigible 'confederacy of dunces'. Throwing words about in a disjointed, inelegant, and out of context manner does not excuse your paucity of intellect. You have the democratic right either agree or disagree with my well considered views, but embarking on needless name-calling is symptomatic of a deeper mental disease - for which I'll strongly advice you seek treatment.

Believe me, he is about 50m times smarter than you. Go and read his historical posts.

He is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY smarter than you, even most of the other people you are calling dunces here are.

If he starts with you, I am pretty sure, DEFINITELY SURE, (and I will put money down on it) that he will smack you intellectually silly. I have seen him in action before.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

'between A Governor And Senator' Who Is Superior? / Atiku, PDP Call Galadima As First Witness At Tribunal / Abuja LGA Polls: APC's Jubrin Abubakar Wins Gwagwalada Area Council

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 151
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.