Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,359 members, 7,800,721 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 03:22 AM

Living In Germany/life As A German Immigrant - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Germany/life As A German Immigrant (31299 Views)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Living In Germany/life As A German Immigrant by Basiljoe: 8:02pm On Apr 11, 2018
There are threads for UK, Australian and Canadian immigrants, but none for Germany which is one of the top countries people immigrate to.

If you are Nigerian immigrant in Germany, please do share your experiences on how you were able to Move to Germany, Getting Accommodation, how the system works there and any info for incoming migrants or people who want to immigrate.

7 Likes

Re: Living In Germany/life As A German Immigrant by doubletroublmum(f): 9:26am On Apr 12, 2018
Hi. I'm living in Germany through family reunion, my hubby is a German.

Immigrating to Germany is not easy anymore like in the past 20 years. Basically I can not recommend to seek asylum here nowadays cause things have changed. Most Nigerian asylum seekers get rejection quickly, sometimes only months after arrival. Secondly asylum seekers are not allowed to work at the beginning for six months. You will also need working permit, without it it's hard to find a job. If you want to go for black job, better try bigger cities.

Try an come as student, it makes your path smoother. Learn German, it will help to find a job and make friends.

Try and mix with Germans, don't stay in the Nigerian community only. It will help you to integrate, maybe your new friends will help you to get a job and know the system.

Qualified workers are also able to apply for blue card (residence and working permit).

Good luck

35 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Germany/life As A German Immigrant by doubletroublmum(f): 9:32am On Apr 12, 2018
Housing

Most flats are rented out by private people or sometimes companies. You have to check for it only or in the local newspaper. The house rent must be paid monthly.

Social benefits

First of all you must be registered with the aliens authority /Ausländerbehörde and collect your paper, then if necessary you can apply for social money .

Don't mess with drugs, don't commit crimes. It can lead to your deportation.

13 Likes

Re: Living In Germany/life As A German Immigrant by Basiljoe: 2:26pm On Apr 12, 2018
@doubletroublmum Thanks for your input. Are Germans religious people? How's the issue of religion handled in Germany?
Re: Living In Germany/life As A German Immigrant by doubletroublmum(f): 4:54pm On Apr 12, 2018
Hmm good question. I would say mostly the elders visit church regularly. Of the young people it's maybe 50% that believe in god. A lot of people seems to believe in nothing. But if you go to church always you will meet the same people and get a chance to connect.

Most German churches are half filled on Sundays except Christmas and Easter � you can never compare this to Nigeria!!
The are African churches in the bigger cities like lighthouse, they do offer after church activities.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Germany/life As A German Immigrant by savio93(m): 1:33am On Apr 13, 2018
Which part of Germany are you located?

How about jobs after schooling? How. Does it go?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In Germany/life As A German Immigrant by doubletroublmum(f): 7:07am On Apr 13, 2018
Hi I'm living in North Rhine Westphalia near Dortmund.

If you have finished university, you will get a residence permit I think of 1 year, so you will have enough time to find a job.
I can not tell about job opportunities now, cause i work almost 15 years in the same company.

I just heard that IT / computer technology offers a lot of jobs, aswell as anything in the technical field. They also look for workers in the medical field.

There are also simple jobs like cleaning construction and so on but since many refugees/foreign people came to Germany in the last two years, you will face more applicants for such job. The better your qualification, the easier the job will be found.

In general life over here is peaceful, but once you get a job, you will work a lot. Germans like hard working people, they don't support laziness. You should try and learn the language. If Germans can't talk to you, they might not be ready to give you job (my personal experience).

32 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Germany/life As A German Immigrant by Berliner1: 7:23am On Apr 13, 2018
doubletroublmum:

If you have finished university, you will get a residence permit I think of[b] 1 year[/b], so you will have enough time to find a job.
I can not tell about job opportunities now, cause i work almost 15 years in the same company.

I just heard that IT / computer technology offers a lot of jobs, aswell as anything in the technical field. They also look for workers in the medical field.

There are also simple jobs like cleaning construction and so on but since many refugees/foreign people came to Germany in the last two years, you will face more applicants for such job. The better your qualification, the easier the job will be found.

In general life over here is peaceful, but once you get a job, you will work a lot. Germans like hard working people, they don't support laziness. You should try and learn the language. If Germans can't talk to you, they might not be ready to give you job (my personal experience).

Thanks for your input...most of them are correct but some have changed.

You have 18months post study permit or you apply for another program to get a job.

Alternative if you find any job in as much you are self sufficient and you dont take social money(arbeitlosgeld) you can always renew your stay.

16 Likes

Re: Living In Germany/life As A German Immigrant by skylane: 9:53am On Apr 13, 2018
doubletroublmum:

If you have finished university, you will get a residence permit I think of 1 year, so you will have enough time to find a job.

please are there oportunities for vet doctors dere
Re: Living In Germany/life As A German Immigrant by doubletroublmum(f): 7:48pm On Apr 13, 2018
skylane:
please are there oportunities for vet doctors dere

Good question. I don't know much about the requirements for vet. doctors.
But a lot of Germans prefer to have a pet instead of having children, so I think its a growing market.

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Germany/life As A German Immigrant by skylane: 6:11pm On Apr 14, 2018
doubletroublmum:

But a lot of Germans prefer to have a pet instead of having children, so I think its a growing market.
thats great thanks
Re: Living In Germany/life As A German Immigrant by Basiljoe: 11:58pm On Apr 14, 2018
Germany. smiley
Re: Living In Germany/life As A German Immigrant by mrgaga: 1:09am On Apr 15, 2018
doubletroublmum:

"But a lot of Germans prefer to have a pet instead of having children, so I think its a growing market."

That sentence got me grin

6 Likes

Re: Living In Germany/life As A German Immigrant by UncleJudax(m): 1:19am On Apr 15, 2018
Berliner1:

Thanks for your input...most of them are correct but some have changed.

You have 18months post study permit or you apply for another program to get a job.

Alternative if you find any job in as much you are self sufficient and you dont take social money(arbeitlosgeld) you can always renew your stay.

That alternative has reduced the uncertainty after studies...the previous situation of getting a job equivalent to degree earned, was a bit "stringent"

Deutschland!
Re: Living In Germany/life As A German Immigrant by Damolux01(m): 11:36am On Apr 15, 2018
Germany...My first love. The blocked account thing pull me away. But, are there no people who can help with the sum and later take it back with interest? I really wanna move there soon.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Germany/life As A German Immigrant by Nobody: 12:29pm On Apr 15, 2018
Damolux01:
Germany...My first love. The blocked account thing pull me away. But, are there no people who can help with the sum and later take it back with interest? I really wanna move there soon.
Na ur folks.
Re: Living In Germany/life As A German Immigrant by Josh4wod: 3:18pm On Apr 15, 2018
doubletroublmum:

Hello, can I PM you please?
Am on my F1 process at the most moment.
Re: Living In Germany/life As A German Immigrant by idu1(m): 5:06pm On Apr 15, 2018
Damolux01:
what's the expected sum in the block account?

1 Like

Re: Living In Germany/life As A German Immigrant by seunny4lif(m): 6:13pm On Apr 15, 2018
cool
Nothing more to say
Single mothers are the one on board now in Germany
But German since last December have been Deporting Pregnant ladies claim single mothers.
I saw them deporting father and mother leaving the Children at the airport.
Germany is good but aduro matter has made it change her law
doubletroublmum:

Re: Living In Germany/life As A German Immigrant by fabyom: 7:46pm On Apr 15, 2018
please my bro INLAW has applied for masters program in Germany. he has paid the required fee already but while coming to naija from Malaysia he felt sick on board and was subsequently admitted to the hospital.he was to resume April 9th but can't make it. Later he discovered that the modules operandi of visa application was changed on April 1.
What is your advice. should emailed them with the admission later. The block account is also an issue.
can he use a sponsored letter from nigeria
Re: Living In Germany/life As A German Immigrant by doubletroublmum(f): 6:41am On Apr 16, 2018
seunny4lif:
cool
Nothing more to say
Single mothers are the one on board now in Germany
But German since last December have been Deporting Pregnant ladies claim single mothers.
I saw them deporting father and mother leaving the Children at the airport.
Germany is good but aduro matter has made it change her law

Hi you are right about it. Since last autumn the deport Nigerians anyhow. But still single mothers with small children under 3 yrs stand a better chance compared to others. Single men from Nigeria are deported very often.
Re: Living In Germany/life As A German Immigrant by Damolux01(m): 7:45am On Apr 16, 2018
idu1:
what's the expected sum in the block account?
About #4m...That's 8790€.
Re: Living In Germany/life As A German Immigrant by Damolux01(m): 7:51am On Apr 16, 2018
fabyom:
please my bro INLAW has applied for masters program in Germany. he has paid the required fee already but while coming to naija from Malaysia he felt sick on board and was subsequently admitted to the hospital.he was to resume April 9th but can't make it. Later he discovered that the modules operandi of visa application was changed on April 1.
What is your advice. should emailed them with the admission later. The block account is also an issue.
can he use a sponsored letter from nigeria
I'm not sure u can use sponsored letter from Nigeria. It has to be from Germany. I stand to be corrected tho"

1 Like

Re: Living In Germany/life As A German Immigrant by idu1(m): 8:39am On Apr 16, 2018
Damolux01:
About #4m...That's 8790€.
No be small thing o

5 Likes

Re: Living In Germany/life As A German Immigrant by Damolux01(m): 8:45am On Apr 16, 2018
idu1:
No be small thing o
As in...And in less 6 months...u can make it back.
Re: Living In Germany/life As A German Immigrant by idu1(m): 8:47am On Apr 16, 2018
Damolux01:
As in...And in less 6 months...u can make it back.
they just want someone to have it in his account. What if I have it and later withdraw it back when I get there?
Re: Living In Germany/life As A German Immigrant by Damolux01(m): 9:07am On Apr 16, 2018
idu1:
they just want someone to have it in his account. What if I have it and later withdraw it back when I get there?
You cannot withdraw it. They can only give you some out of it say every month for your living expense. You can however borrow it and give the person 6 months to 1 year payback plan. With the student work you would be allowed to do over there. You would definitely get it back.

8 Likes

Re: Living In Germany/life As A German Immigrant by Basiljoe: 11:21am On Apr 18, 2018
More inputs needed. Know anyone in germany? Recommend this thread please.
Re: Living In Germany/life As A German Immigrant by CassieV(f): 1:31pm On Apr 18, 2018
Cc Jigba, hadassaheke, eke40seven, honorableseyi, gabi101, wiliamso

5 Likes

Re: Living In Germany/life As A German Immigrant by Eke40seven(m): 4:12pm On Apr 18, 2018
Basiljoe:
There are threads for UK, Australian and Canadian immigrants, but none for Germany which is one of the top countries people immigrate to.

If you are Nigerian immigrant in Germany, please do share your experiences on how you were able to Move to Germany, Getting Accommodation, how the system works there and any info for incoming migrants or people who want to immigrate.

The key to Germany,
Come with the right papers and very good language skills, in the absence of that, things can be very difficult, although you know many may cope as time go bye but it's a function of so many things, especially the city you live in and people you meet.

The life of an asylum seeker might be hard but they tend to survive if they are accepted.

3 Likes

Re: Living In Germany/life As A German Immigrant by seunny4lif(m): 4:51pm On Apr 18, 2018
Eke40seven:

The key to Germany,
Come with the right papers and very good language skills, in the absence of that, things can be very difficult, although you know many may cope as time go bye but it's a function of so many things, especially the city you live in and people you meet.

The life of an asylum seeker might be hard but they tend to survive if they are accepted.

For sure but it's hard now for Nigerians grin
Re: Living In Germany/life As A German Immigrant by Eke40seven(m): 4:58pm On Apr 18, 2018
seunny4lif:

For sure but it's hard now for Nigeria grin
So I heard, many of them dey form gay now or marry gay men for pali because it's hard to find a German woman who will marry you.
African men, (especially, aduro) are on the bottom of dating scale for German women, except most will settle with women with numerous children or the very obese ones German men will never consider marrying.
It's tough out there in the wild.
Many come believing the false stories that they will play football or marry a blonde blue eyed German princess but that is not the case most times, may be in the past, but today, the reputation is way too damaged!

14 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Working In Seychelles / Can I Travel To Ghana Without A Passport? / Accident On Lagos-Ibadan Expressway: 70 Rams & 1 Man Killed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.