Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,580 members, 7,809,107 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:17 PM

Lagos-Abeokuta Road: How Do Lagosians Cope On This Road? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Lagos-Abeokuta Road: How Do Lagosians Cope On This Road? (26680 Views)

Why Is This Road Designed Like This? (Pictured) / You Won't Believe This Road Is In Aba! / Lagos Abeokuta Express Road As At Yesterday (pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos-Abeokuta Road: How Do Lagosians Cope On This Road? by AutoReportNG: 6:40pm On Apr 12, 2018
How do these people cope with this road? This is the question that ran through my mind as I sat in traffic for almost 4hours.

The Lagos - Abeokuta expressway can best be termed the 3rd mainland bridge for this axis. The road has been in a mess for quite some time due to lack of maintenance and adequate routine on the road. The road shares a border with the Muritala Mohammed Airport Road. The road has a border with Ogun state as this same road leads to Ota, Abeokutauta and lots more.

In 2016, the Lagos State Government decided to embark on a total reconstruction of this road with an addition of BRT lane on both sides to make it world class but ever since work has started on this road, passengers have groaned under intense pain and agony.

For example, Sango to Oshodi used to 100-150 naira now has skyrocketed to 300-400 naira, it is worse when it rains as you can board the bus for 500-700 naira most times.

AutoReportNG was in Alagbado, AIT Road on Tuesday and we witnessed the first-hand suffering of what people around this road go through every day. To beat the traffic, if you are going towards Kola, Sango, etc, it is advised you home at least 5.30am so that you can join the coaster bus going to Sango as they charge 150 naira for such, and you are guaranteed of a 30-40mins trip without much traffic.

Coming back to Oshodi is hell as you can spend 4hrs on this road as those construction workers closed the road and also damage the road they know they won't do in the next 2-3 months. Mangoro, Cement, Iyana Ipaja are mostly locked down when it is 10am and beyond.

As I sat down in the bus, and I scanned through the faces of the passengers, all I see is anger, sorrow, and pain, it was so bad that they blamed the driver and conductor for any slight mistake, well you can't blame them as a trip of 40 mins has turned 4 hours.

Source:
https://www.autoreportng.com/2018/04/lagos-abeokuta-road-how-do-lagosians.html

4 Likes

Re: Lagos-Abeokuta Road: How Do Lagosians Cope On This Road? by AutoReportNG: 6:40pm On Apr 12, 2018

4 Likes

Re: Lagos-Abeokuta Road: How Do Lagosians Cope On This Road? by temmy6996(m): 6:43pm On Apr 12, 2018
I wish the project was given to a better company. No PPE, poor quality of work, no halogen lamps @ 9t or very early in the morning to indicate that work is going on and this same Lagos state government locks up sites where compliance with construction ethics are ignored . Ambode needs to look into this.

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos-Abeokuta Road: How Do Lagosians Cope On This Road? by Omololu2121: 6:45pm On Apr 12, 2018
Nah since when dem don dey construct this road

2 Likes

Re: Lagos-Abeokuta Road: How Do Lagosians Cope On This Road? by Redoil: 7:06pm On Apr 12, 2018
That is the zenith of apc trademark and hallmark. They bring suffering sorrow tears and blood to nigeria

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Lagos-Abeokuta Road: How Do Lagosians Cope On This Road? by ipobarecriminals: 7:10pm On Apr 12, 2018
sad embarassed Ambode just compound the woe of peeps living. around dat axis

2 Likes

Re: Lagos-Abeokuta Road: How Do Lagosians Cope On This Road? by Gkay1(m): 8:35pm On Apr 12, 2018
e don tey wey i comment o, nairalander how una dey na

1 Like

Re: Lagos-Abeokuta Road: How Do Lagosians Cope On This Road? by Tunndeh(m): 8:36pm On Apr 12, 2018
I have once spent 5hrs at cement bus stop. Really sad

4 Likes

Re: Lagos-Abeokuta Road: How Do Lagosians Cope On This Road? by Sharon6(f): 8:36pm On Apr 12, 2018
If you can cope and survive in Lagos, you can live anywhere in the world. Naija people:suffering and smiling.

Pimples/acne? Check my signature!

5 Likes

Re: Lagos-Abeokuta Road: How Do Lagosians Cope On This Road? by PHIPEX(m): 8:37pm On Apr 12, 2018
My colleague living in that axis leaves house by 5am and return by 10pm daily. Yet a whole President came all the way from Abuja to commission a bus stop that is supposed to service that same road that is still under construction. When the road is finally completed I hope they will invite Trump to commission it.

22 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Lagos-Abeokuta Road: How Do Lagosians Cope On This Road? by Teewhy2: 8:37pm On Apr 12, 2018
Very bad road and policemen using the place as stop and search to extort money.

1 Like

Re: Lagos-Abeokuta Road: How Do Lagosians Cope On This Road? by Donald3d(m): 8:37pm On Apr 12, 2018
Na wa
We too dey complain for this country sef.
Goverment no do road....we complain
Dem do road .... we complain
At least endure small suffering before the road dey Ok na, no be everybody go enjoy am wen dem finish ?
Before you attack me that I don't know what I am saying , I have lived in that same Kola, along AIT rd since 2002.Being taking that Lagos Abeokuta road for 16+ years now.
The same AIT road was just tarred and completed, the Lagos Abeokuta road, is not that bad , all the way from Oshodi down to Tolgate, except for the construction spots that cause traffic (They are building a pedestrian bridge at Kola), and most IMPORTANTLY , ILLEGAL PARKING TO PICK PASSENGERS, thats what causes traffic most on that road, especially at Iyana Ipaja, then a little traffic again at Ile Epo, because of people buying stuufs at the market there.
The worse road on that axis, is from Sango going to Ifo.
Although I fault the government a bit.They are quite disorganized in the construction.As someone said above, they don't use enough lights at evenings/early in the morning and they cause unneccessary traffic and danger.Those machines are death traps
I advice they restrict their working hours to night...Funny enough they don't even work at night, they just disturb innocent commuters in the day time .
All in all , its for our benefit, just that their approach can be worked on.
I stand to be corrected anyway

15 Likes

Re: Lagos-Abeokuta Road: How Do Lagosians Cope On This Road? by Wynnah(m): 8:38pm On Apr 12, 2018
I must confess it has been really terrible.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos-Abeokuta Road: How Do Lagosians Cope On This Road? by younglleo: 8:39pm On Apr 12, 2018
Gkay1:
e don tey wey i comment o, nairalander how una dey na
mr tey to comment...!
Ur mates arr winning first to comment
Re: Lagos-Abeokuta Road: How Do Lagosians Cope On This Road? by sulaak(m): 8:39pm On Apr 12, 2018
A city with more than 15 million people must have a mass transit system, APC lip service to the abandon light rail project (red and blue line ) is shocking and disappointing

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos-Abeokuta Road: How Do Lagosians Cope On This Road? by oshe11: 8:40pm On Apr 12, 2018
They cope by "Coping"

3 Likes

Re: Lagos-Abeokuta Road: How Do Lagosians Cope On This Road? by dejonathan(f): 8:40pm On Apr 12, 2018
That's my everyday route,na ifo I dey live
Guy dat road na hell on earth

5 Likes

Re: Lagos-Abeokuta Road: How Do Lagosians Cope On This Road? by Olalan(m): 8:43pm On Apr 12, 2018
Traffic on that route can be very frustrating at times, Lagos and its stress
Re: Lagos-Abeokuta Road: How Do Lagosians Cope On This Road? by Nobody: 8:43pm On Apr 12, 2018
O boy that route na die o shocked

One day, I was going to Abule Egba from Festac. On getting to Oshodi Around 6pm the bus were saying N300.
So I stood I stood back hoping to catch it cheaper... I regret my decision that day. I later left Oshodi around 8pm at the rate of N600 and that was even the cheapest rate.

3 Likes

Re: Lagos-Abeokuta Road: How Do Lagosians Cope On This Road? by Agbaletu: 8:44pm On Apr 12, 2018
That road is terrible. I was on that road during Easter, it took us 3 hours from Ikeja to Sango Ota.

1 Like

Re: Lagos-Abeokuta Road: How Do Lagosians Cope On This Road? by Suko110(m): 8:45pm On Apr 12, 2018
Those people are the one's that live by example of 'patience is a virtue'

1 Like

Re: Lagos-Abeokuta Road: How Do Lagosians Cope On This Road? by TheAngry1: 8:46pm On Apr 12, 2018
k
Re: Lagos-Abeokuta Road: How Do Lagosians Cope On This Road? by kings09(m): 8:46pm On Apr 12, 2018
Lagosians are used to suffering n still remains happy same time

2 Likes

Re: Lagos-Abeokuta Road: How Do Lagosians Cope On This Road? by moscobabs(m): 8:46pm On Apr 12, 2018
AutoreportNG it's not easy o

My house is in Ijoko in sango area and o work in Iyana isolo I spend Atleast 8hours on that road everyday, I used to drive before but I have to leave d car behind when I can't cope with fuel money with my v6 car everyday.

I wake up latest 4am everyday and get home 11:30pm o. I'm planing to rent a room at Ileepo now to ease my life cos all the stress is affecting my health. Working like that for 6days in a week is killing me. Infact to have sex with my wife na war o, cos the dick won't even rise . Lagos no easy at all.

Ki olorun je ki a ko ere oko dele ni

35 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lagos-Abeokuta Road: How Do Lagosians Cope On This Road? by Samsimple(m): 8:47pm On Apr 12, 2018
Thank God i can fly.. If u are wondering how know say edo jazz dey at work
Re: Lagos-Abeokuta Road: How Do Lagosians Cope On This Road? by oyetunder(m): 8:56pm On Apr 12, 2018
terrible road
Re: Lagos-Abeokuta Road: How Do Lagosians Cope On This Road? by afroniger: 8:58pm On Apr 12, 2018
Isn't it a federal road?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Panic As Car Goes Up In Flames In Ogba During Rush Hour(Pics) / 10 Travel Tips For Warri First-timers... / La Campagne Tropicana - What's Your Experience?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.