Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,435 members, 7,808,550 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:20 PM

I Need Help For My 4-Year-Old Son - Family (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / I Need Help For My 4-Year-Old Son (37615 Views)

My 4-Year-Old Daughter Keeps Telling Mysterious Stories About Her Past Life / My 4-Year-Old Niece Loves To Perceive Horrific Scents. Is This Normal? / My 4-Year-Old Son Saw Me Washing My Underwear And Said It's Girl's That Wash (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Need Help For My 4-Year-Old Son by Eketem: 12:08am On Aug 26, 2018
PurestBoy:

He takes Golden Morn every morning before his main meal from when he was 1yr old

Golden morn is for kids three years and above, parents please read the pack instructions. It should not be given to kids below age 3 please

1 Like

Re: I Need Help For My 4-Year-Old Son by Nobody: 12:13pm On Aug 26, 2018
Offpoint:

I'm not a dad, but he weee to be my kid.... I'll drug 24/7... I'll only undrug when he was to eat...... sleeping pills 247
Giving a child sleeping pills will only get him addicted to such pills, without them he will not even be able to fall a sleep.

3 Likes

Re: I Need Help For My 4-Year-Old Son by Nobody: 12:22pm On Aug 26, 2018
IamaNigerianGuy:
Children will be children.
The human brain is the fastest growing organ in the body and consumes 20% of its blood supply and 40% of its energy. Young children have to deal with the consequences of a rapidly functioning supercomputer that is not only receiving input but increasing in capacity at the same time.

Many people talking about ADHD here. ADHD is over diagnosed even in the west and one key fact you have mentioned totally rules it out for your kid: he is quiet when watching his favorite cartoons.
Children want to be mentally stimulated. One of the early signs of high intelligence is extraordinary curiosity and energy. The worst thing you can ever do is tie down a curious child to a boring task. If cartoons distract him, give him cartoons for 10 hours a day if need be. Buy him computer games, story books and coloring books. There are hundreds in the market. Teach him to read and write so he can occupy himself. When he is older, offer him treats in exchange for peace and quiet. There needs to be an outlet for his fantastic mental energy and if you do not provide one, it will be channeled into disruption. Fighting with you is an indication that he needs attention and something to preoccupy his mind. An occupied child will not struggle with you for the remote control.

You want to limit sugar on general principles of obesity and nutrition and not because it causes any kind of mental effects. Give the child what normal children eat.

This is the age at which white people take advantage and begin the process of seeking and nurturing genius in kids. Music lessons, art, chess, maths, drawing, reading etc. Search for his passions. My niece was the same way and I taught her the multiplication table from 2 to 9 before she turned 5.
If you suppress their natural curiosity and energy at that age, you will be committing a crime against humanity.

Stop beating the child.

There is nothing wrong with him.
Op pls follow this guy's advise, he is completely right.

1 Like

Re: I Need Help For My 4-Year-Old Son by budaatum: 12:45am On Aug 27, 2018
lordsbiz:

First thing off all, stop beating him for christ sake! Else you are going to raise an hell of a rogue. If he's hyper active then there is the solution.hes your beloved son, then spend quality time with him, put him into sport let him start sport early, it's has happened before it could happen again, once he starts burning all the energy he will naturally calm down! Who knows you might have a boy in your hands that will win more Olympic gold than all these losers we have. Lol. But the first thing is to start seeing his situation has a blessing, stop beating the boy don't destroy his moral, who knows you may kill so much more in him
Thank you. They will claim there is God and that he formed them in the womb and all, and they will go ahead and beat destiny out of their child!

Imagine if he had an interest in football. Everybody will be dead on their feet at full time and your son will be fresh enough to play another full game and because of that Chelsea will pay millions for him!

You said telly gets him quiet so there's nothing wrong with him, he just needs interests. You got two of them so they can play lots of sport together. Reduce sweet foods and buy a football please and tennis rackets and running shoes and lots of other sports stuff, and give him lots of encouragement! I see the Williams, except brothers, or a Tevez, or even Ronaldo. That Duracell in him is your blessing if properly directed.

1 Like

Re: I Need Help For My 4-Year-Old Son by budaatum: 12:59am On Aug 27, 2018
PurestBoy:

To be honest with you, beating him has not made soft because no matter how much you do, he doesn't cry for more than 5 seconds and most time he'll quickly hug you and say 'I love you " before you beat him, I'll just be weakened and free him
I want to pray that anyone who tells you to beat this child would never have children but since there's no gods to hear me, it's rather pointless!

I was beat proper growing up so take my word for it, if you continue beating him, your cane will get bigger as he grows older till one day you will hit him with an odo (pestle for pounding yam) and your child will stand there looking at you as if you hit it with a tiny reed.

If he's smart and correcting others he is showing a will to learn! Please add discipline (set times for things) and reading to the sports I and many others have mentioned and cut out junk from your family's diet.

Damn, I think I've contributed to this thread more than three times already!

1 Like

Re: I Need Help For My 4-Year-Old Son by PurestBoy(m): 11:08am On Sep 01, 2018
budaatum:

I want to pray that anyone who tells you to beat this child would never have children but since there's no gods to hear me, it's rather pointless!

I was beat proper growing up so take my word for it, if you continue beating him, your cane will get bigger as he grows older till one day you will hit him with an odo (pestle for pounding yam) and your child will stand there looking at you as if you hit it with a tiny reed.

If he's smart and correcting others he is showing a will to learn! Please add discipline (set times for things) and reading to the sports I and many others have mentioned and cut out junk from your family's diet.

Damn, I think I've contributed to this thread more than three times already!

Thank you very much, I will work on him, he has a football but the mother will not allow him play it or even ride his bicycle. He uses both left hand and leg. I'll be taking him to open fields like Agodi park if I have money so that he can play around since he loves to run. Thanks � for your contributions

1 Like

Re: I Need Help For My 4-Year-Old Son by PurestBoy(m): 11:12am On Sep 01, 2018
Eketem:

Golden morn is for kids three years and above, parents please read the pack instructions. It should not be given to kids below age 3 please

Are you sure about this because the younger brother of a year and few months takes only pap-milk and golden morn. When I get home I'll study the instruction. That one too is getting hyper active and now I'm having headache having to deal with 2 active kids. Sometimes I wish God had given us girls but I'm most grateful because they don't fall sick which would have drilled hole in my already dry pocket.
Re: I Need Help For My 4-Year-Old Son by PurestBoy(m): 11:35am On Sep 01, 2018
redsun:
Did you say beat him? You don't beat a child for being active,it makes his situation, you have to grow some senses and learn how to manage him without being a typical nigerian-inherently violent. Break the circle and bring up your child interactively and sensibly without having to lash out every time he acts like a child,a child that he is,innocent.

You should probably think twice about all those indomie and sugary drinks you ply him with,if you do.
I don't give him sugary stuffs like sweet even the mother hates such, it's only 1 biscuit and happy hour juice he takes to school daily except on Wednesday he takes fruit to school. As for the beating, I don't beat him, it's only the mother that does and we fight always whenever I warn or stop her from beating him and says that I'm spoiling him that this is not the way to train a child. I wish you meet him, everybody knows Kevin as a different boy and he must get noticed wherever we go.

1 Like

Re: I Need Help For My 4-Year-Old Son by Eketem: 12:41pm On Sep 01, 2018
PurestBoy:

Are you sure about this because the younger brother of a year and few months takes only pap-milk and golden morn. When I get home I'll study the instruction. That one too is getting hyper active and now I'm having headache having to deal with 2 active kids. Sometimes I wish God had given us girls but I'm most grateful because they don't fall sick which would have drilled hole in my already dry pocket.

Read the package it clearly says for kids 3 and above

1 Like

Re: I Need Help For My 4-Year-Old Son by rezzy: 12:53pm On Sep 01, 2018
PurestBoy:

I don't give him sugary stuffs like sweet even the mother hates such, it's only 1 biscuit and happy hour juice he takes to school daily except on Wednesday he takes fruit to school. As for the beating, I don't beat him, it's only the mother that does and we fight always whenever I warn or stop her from beating him and says that I'm spoiling him that this is not the way to train a child. I wish you meet him, everybody knows Kevin as a different boy and he must get noticed wherever we go.

I can relate. My son behave same way as yours and has greatly influenced his younger brother. He doesn't allow us to watch TV, even when we forcefully turn it to another channel , he will stand at the front of the TV crying out his lungs, telling us to put pj masks for him. The worst is when you beat him, he will keep hitting you and asking you why you beat him.

He imitates all the animals he watches, he roars like a lion, he sneezes like one of those characters in pj masks. He limps abi hops like those dogs in puppy dogs cartoons, the list is endless. He does it in public places too
I have used several methods to help him calm down but none seems to be working.
So I'm just looking at him like shocked shocked shocked

4 Likes

Re: I Need Help For My 4-Year-Old Son by PurestBoy(m): 2:14pm On Sep 01, 2018
rezzy:

I can relate. My son behave same way as yours and has greatly influenced his younger brother. He doesn't allow us to watch TV, even when we forcefully turn it to another channel , he will stand at the front of the TV crying out his lungs, telling us to put pj masks for him. The worst is when you beat him, he will keep hitting you and asking you why you beat him.

He imitates all the animals he watches, he roars like a lion, he sneezes like one of those characters in pj masks. He limps abi hops like those dogs in puppy dogs cartoons, the list is endless. He does it in public places too
I have used several methods to help him calm down but none seems to be working.
So I'm just looking at him like shocked shocked shocked

No need to talk much, you have perfectly described my Kevin, He limps like the puppy in dog cartoons, roars like Kanyon abi na Kion in Lion guard. PJ Mask, Lion Guard, Sofia are his favorites and he can sit peacefully when he's watching those channels.
May God help us and bless them.

1 Like

Re: I Need Help For My 4-Year-Old Son by PurestBoy(m): 2:53pm On Sep 01, 2018
Eketem:

Read the package it clearly says for kids 3 and above

I just checked now, no where written. I guess there are two type or can you send me a picture of where that is written?
Re: I Need Help For My 4-Year-Old Son by Eketem: 3:10pm On Sep 01, 2018
PurestBoy:

I just checked now, no where written. I guess there are two type or can you send me a picture of where that is written?

A mail from Nestlé and it's on their new pack not the old ones.

Hello Peterwins. Thanks for your comment on Nestlé Golden Morn. I’m Iquo Ukoh from Nestlé Nigeria.

We apologise for the confusion caused by the information which was added to the product label in June, 2012. The product was labelled as “Golden Morn is not an infant cereal. Not suitable for children below 3 years” as a precautionary measure because it is not formulated as an infant or weaning cereal.

We have decided to modify the label to avoid any further inconvenience. We continue to clearly mention it is not an infant cereal.

We always communicate information that help consumers make informed purchasing decision and we encourage our consumers to choose a variety of foods to meet daily nutritional requirements.

2 Likes

Re: I Need Help For My 4-Year-Old Son by budaatum: 5:22pm On Sep 01, 2018
PurestBoy:

Thank you very much, I will work on him, he has a football but the mother will not allow him play it or even ride his bicycle. He uses both left hand and leg. I'll be taking him to open fields like Agodi park if I have money so that he can play around since he loves to run. Thanks � for your contributions
"Uses both left hand and leg"! What a blessing.

You and your wife see this child as a problem, and not a blessing. You see the negative in him, and no positive whatsoever! Count how many times you tell him off and how much praise you both give him, don't you tell him off way too much!? This must change! You must see the good in him more than the 'bad' and let him know you do, and he will be encouraged to please you more.

If wife is a Christian, convince her with "I knew you before I put you in your mother's belly" and set your destiny accordingly. (Look up the proper phrase in Isaiah, I think it is). Use it in thanking God during family prayer and she will stop opposing you. But if she doesn't, show her the responses you got on here, or if she's not intelligent enough to understand us, tell her it's a revelation from her god! Wife must see your change in attitude to this child, and she will follow suit! My point is do whatever it takes to help this child fulfil his destiny!

And please find the time and money (though, I do think you have what is sufficient since you are more worthy than the "birds and the bees that toil not but never go without, so how much more you....." ).

Your investment will yield immensely when he grows up.

2 Likes

Re: I Need Help For My 4-Year-Old Son by Nobody: 5:30pm On Sep 01, 2018
PurestBoy:
I have 2 boys, Kevin and Alvin, 4 and 1yr old respectively, both were on 6-month exclusive breastfeeding, Had Cow&Gate2 baby formula, Kevin is just too active, he doesn't doesn't even walk at home, he runs even when I take him out (cos he doesn't even play in the compound), he can't stay in a place for 2 minutes except he's watching his favorite cartoon channel GoTv 60, no matter how you beat him he doesn't cry for more than few seconds, he learns too much that he even corrects me his father but the problem is he's too active (I don't want to use the word stubborn). His 11+ mths younger brother is already following his footsteps, their mother shouts and beats Kevin every minute for jumping around in the house like monkey. He even engages in fight with me whenever I want to watch my favorite channels except I beat him thoroughly, he wouldn't allow anyone touch anything that is his. Their mother is fed up and losing weight and she's afraid his Alvin is already acting likewise. I don't know what to do because you can't leave Kevin alone in the house without closed monitoring for a minute else something bad and injurious might happen. All my life, I've never see a kid like my boy, I need advise on what to do, it was worse when he was younger. I don't like beating him like his Mom does but won't have peace at home due to excessive shouting and scolding except he's asleep. Anyone with ideas on how to curtail this?

i personally think you need to divert his attention, your kids are indoor too much, pls let them be active also outdoor, the problem with present generation child training is the tendency to over protect children and make then glue to cartoons and tv.

try to engage him in outdoor activities within your home environment, maybe buying him a bicycle or teaching him puzzles or something new might make him engage.

i am not an expert but too much indoor activities affects a child, it brings boredoom and destructive minds.

2 Likes

Re: I Need Help For My 4-Year-Old Son by Nobody: 5:39pm On Sep 01, 2018
There's nothing wrong with this child the only problem I see is what you and tour wife will turn this child into with countless beatings..
A child his age is expected to be active, if you discover he is too active at home, engage him..

Take him out to play football, running, jumping or just running around in the estate, 2 hours on each sport, then 20mins break to give him food ..
Give him bicycle to ride round the estate, or take him to learn how yo dance... U will have a fagged out son by the time its night..

He's not the type to remain indoors, and wen he is home, give him chores, your clothes , send him to buy something at the shop close by ,send him a million times but in all of this and at all times, keep an eye on him....

He just needs to express himself, help him express positively

1 Like

Re: I Need Help For My 4-Year-Old Son by PurestBoy(m): 6:24pm On Sep 01, 2018
thebosstrevor:

i personally think you need to divert his attention, your kids are indoor too much, pls let them be active also outdoor, the problem with present generation child training is the tendency to over protect children and make then glue to cartoons and tv.

try to engage him in outdoor activities within your home environment, maybe buying him a bicycle or teaching him puzzles or something new might make him engage.

i am not an expert but too much indoor activities affects a child, it brings boredoom and destructive minds.

Thanks so much for your response, it's the mother o, she has fought with me many times when I tell her to stop beating him cos he's not even afraid to be beaten again. He stays indoor always and begs ( like he did 3 hours) ago to go out with me. Even a nairalander called from overseas and told me to stop beating him among other piece of advice. His mother won't even allow him play with other kids in the compound though his style of play his different cos he'll start running and jumping around like someone just released from prison and explores with anything he sees. He's always excited to see the sky and before you lock the door, he's already running ahead and feels bad whenever its time to return home. He'll be 5 by October. I still showed the mother rezzy 's comment here who said his son also roars like lion in Lion Guard kids channel. Kevin is even the one that corrected me when I was replying rezzy and typed Kanyon instead of Kion, the lion cub in Lion Guard who he roars like.
Re: I Need Help For My 4-Year-Old Son by PurestBoy(m): 6:26pm On Sep 01, 2018
Rizzoli:
There's nothing wrong with this child the only problem I see is what you and tour wife will turn this child into with countless beatings..
A child his age is expected to be active, if you discover he is too active at home, engage him..

Take him out to play football, running, jumping or just running around in the estate, 2 hours on each sport, then 20mins break to give him food ..
Give him bicycle to ride round the estate, or take him to learn how yo dance... U will have a fagged out son by the time its night..

He's not the type to remain indoors, and wen he is home, give him chores, your clothes , send him to buy something at the shop close by ,send him a million times but in all of this and at all times, keep an eye on him....

He just needs to express himself, help him express positively

Estate ke, I don't live in estate o and my area is an area not even meant for kids to grow in or associate with other local children. He's only 4
Re: I Need Help For My 4-Year-Old Son by PurestBoy(m): 6:30pm On Sep 01, 2018
Eketem:

A mail from Nestlé and it's on their new pack not the old ones.

Hello Peterwins. Thanks for your comment on Nestlé Golden Morn. I’m Iquo Ukoh from Nestlé Nigeria.

We apologise for the confusion caused by the information which was added to the product label in June, 2012. The product was labelled as “Golden Morn is not an infant cereal. Not suitable for children below 3 years” as a precautionary measure because it is not formulated as an infant or weaning cereal.

We have decided to modify the label to avoid any further inconvenience. We continue to clearly mention it is not an infant cereal.

We always communicate information that help consumers make informed purchasing decision and we encourage our consumers to choose a variety of foods to meet daily nutritional requirements.

Thanks for the wonderful information, I really appreciate, do we have to stop giving that because he seems to like it, any health complications that might arise now or in the future and is Golden morn responsible for the hyperactivity in his elder brother?
Re: I Need Help For My 4-Year-Old Son by Eketem: 7:07pm On Sep 01, 2018
PurestBoy:

Thanks for the wonderful information, I really appreciate, do we have to stop giving that because he seems to like it, any health complications that might arise now or in the future and is Golden morn responsible for the hyperactivity in his elder brother?

I doubt it is responsible for the hyperactivity but processed foods are damaging enough already to start giving a child processed food that is not meant for their age may negatively affect them later.

1 Like

Re: I Need Help For My 4-Year-Old Son by Nobody: 7:24pm On Sep 01, 2018
PurestBoy:

Estate ke, I don't live in estate o and my area is an area not even meant for kids to grow in or associate with other local children. He's only 4

Take him out some weekend, or teach him cycling while watching him. This is your opportunity to guide him as a dad, pls do

2 Likes

Re: I Need Help For My 4-Year-Old Son by PurestBoy(m): 10:05pm On Sep 01, 2018
Eketem:

I doubt it is responsible for the hyperactivity but processed foods are damaging enough already to start giving a child processed food that is not meant for their age may negatively affect them later.

I never like processed food and I don't take th em as a man, should we give him only pap + milk? My wife makes pap herself that even others that have tasted it give her money to make for them
Re: I Need Help For My 4-Year-Old Son by blank(f): 5:37am On Sep 02, 2018
PurestBoy:

The precaution is in case a baby chokes whilst eating the food. It's to prevent litigation. The grains are sort of coarse. One way around it is to use hot water first before adding cold water. This makes it softer. However, I would suggest that you give it to a baby that has started solid food not one still taking just cereal. So, ideally by 1 yr and a half.

1 Like

Re: I Need Help For My 4-Year-Old Son by blank(f): 5:41am On Sep 02, 2018
Let us also read some parenting books to see how to better guide our kids.

I'm currently reading the following:

What your Explosive Child is Trying To Tell You by Riley and

The Whole‑Brain Child: 12 Revolutionary Strategies to Nurture Your Child's Developing Mind by Daniel Spiegel.

I'm really enjoying them.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Need Help For My 4-Year-Old Son by PurestBoy(m): 3:13am On Sep 05, 2018
blank:
Let us also read some parenting books to see how to better guide our kids.

I'm currently reading the following:

What your Explosive Child is Trying To Tell You by Riley and

The Whole‑Brain Child: 12 Revolutionary Strategies to Nurture Your Child's Developing Mind by Daniel Spiegel.

I'm really enjoying them.

I'll check out the books. Thanks and God bless you
Re: I Need Help For My 4-Year-Old Son by gbolahanoluyemi(m): 2:34pm On Apr 08, 2019
>>>

Re: I Need Help For My 4-Year-Old Son by budaatum: 4:34pm On Jun 15, 2020
PurestBoy:
I have 2 boys, Kevin and Alvin, 4 and 1yr old respectively, both were on 6-month exclusive breastfeeding, ...... All my life, I've never see a kid like my boy, I

How is your child? He must be almost 6 by now.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Lady Celebrates Her House Help From Southern Kaduna (Photos) / His Wife Is Always Tired At Night For Sex / Hubby Caught Me Using Contraceptives!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 111
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.