Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,906 members, 7,802,941 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 04:35 AM

Should I Dump My Bsc Degree To Be A Mechanic Apprentice? - Career (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Should I Dump My Bsc Degree To Be A Mechanic Apprentice? (26854 Views)

I Have A BSc Degree And Want To Join The Army / Do I Need A Degree To Become An HMO Officer? / See The Youngest Mechanic Apprentice In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should I Dump My Bsc Degree To Be A Mechanic Apprentice? by Nobody: 8:53am On Apr 15, 2018
ikemesit4477:
what a foolish comment! undecided

Top Akara sellers make more money than most civil servants.
Re: Should I Dump My Bsc Degree To Be A Mechanic Apprentice? by yankidelta(m): 8:55am On Apr 15, 2018
My Advise

*You sound intelligent, I believe u will do well if you put your mind to it and be ready to stomach mockery and insults for the initial part of the apprenticeship.

* Don't dump your B.Sc, you may and probably will still need it very soon.

God Bless.

1 Like

Re: Should I Dump My Bsc Degree To Be A Mechanic Apprentice? by qanda: 8:56am On Apr 15, 2018
Welldone for the courage of sharing your thoughts in the open. Be assured that the situation you are faced with now is only temporal and that your decision and the steps you take will add up to determine what the future holds. Applying to become an apprentice will make you more skillful; one of the traits that many employers look out for. Therefore, going ahead to become an apprentice, takes nothing away from you, it rather adds value to you. While you are at the training, draw up the next steps. How long will the training take you, what will you do upon completion - Apply to an Automechanic Workshop while you save funds to own your own Garage? May God guide you in taking the right decision and may he order your steps to meet helpers.

You can download Job Test Past Questions and Answers on Q and A App should you have need for them. Download Q and A App from Google Playstore
Re: Should I Dump My Bsc Degree To Be A Mechanic Apprentice? by Nobody: 8:58am On Apr 15, 2018
otswag:
absolutely agree with this. However, the reality is its very unlikely to see a mechanic that trained for less than 2 years. Many will even say 2 years is too short to learn the skills. Many will tell the aspiring apprentice its 2 years but will eventually extend it for longer claiming he has not leant enough just to exploit him. There are good masters but they are very few when compared with the majority.

Exactly.
Re: Should I Dump My Bsc Degree To Be A Mechanic Apprentice? by ScamKiller(m): 8:59am On Apr 15, 2018
Re: Should I Dump My Bsc Degree To Be A Mechanic Apprentice? by MichaelSokoto(m): 9:02am On Apr 15, 2018
otswag:
It really isnt a bad idea to think outside the box but have you considered the time required to graduate from this type of apprenticeship? I know mechanics train for many years before their freedom. I suggest you consider other hand works you can learn in a relatively short period of time e. g Tailoring, making shoes, e. T. C which u can pick up in one year. With commitment and a creative eye, u will surely blow cos your crafts alone will advertise themselves.
time not issue here.

it took me LESS THAN ONE WEEK to learn shoe makin, I nor sign any agreement, buy oga aligator pepper or groundnut, one kobo aaaaaah nor pay anybodt.

He can learn dat complete mekanik work within one year, me, less than one month grin
Re: Should I Dump My Bsc Degree To Be A Mechanic Apprentice? by maasoap(m): 9:02am On Apr 15, 2018
luvcherish:

very good contributiion,,,,,, having d same feeling , buh in my own case i graduated as a computer sci, and am very good in desktop publishing packages and the internet, i have thumbprinting machine and the system i use in sch then is still working though has become plug and play. thinking of opening an online registration center and business center but the capital is much, still hustling around.

Please, like how much are we talking about here? And what that "business centre" will entail?
Re: Should I Dump My Bsc Degree To Be A Mechanic Apprentice? by IamaNigerianGuy(m): 9:04am On Apr 15, 2018
SternProphet:
This is NIGERIAN THINKING at its worst. The IQ is so low that people post meaningless stuff because they are thinking in Nigerian language instead of just thinking Look at this premise for instance. In what way does doing auto mechanics ( a very good and rewarding line of work ) invalidate your chemistry degree?
Why does one render the other useless and indeed what kind of inferior educational system even develops the mind to think this way?

It is abysmal, the depths to which we have sunk. This country has gone beyond failure.
It is very difficult to even begin to advise the OP because his mind and thinking are so far out there, and you can see from the responses that most of the 'advisors' are no better.

Sad.
Re: Should I Dump My Bsc Degree To Be A Mechanic Apprentice? by maasoap(m): 9:07am On Apr 15, 2018
otswag:
absolutely agree with this. However, the reality is its very unlikely to see a mechanic that trained for less than 2 years. Many will even say 2 years is too short to learn the skills. Many will tell the aspiring apprentice its 2 years but will eventually extend it for longer claiming he has not leant enough just to exploit him. There are good masters but they are very few when compared with the majority.

If his boss knows that he is a graduate, I believe that he will be respected and treated better. Why? Because many of these artisans too have children schools. They know what it takes to be a graduate because they are taking care of one or more students financially.

1 Like

Re: Should I Dump My Bsc Degree To Be A Mechanic Apprentice? by ikemesit4477: 9:08am On Apr 15, 2018
PrecisionFx:

Top Akara sellers make more money than most civil servants.
why not start your own if it is so profitable!
Re: Should I Dump My Bsc Degree To Be A Mechanic Apprentice? by maasoap(m): 9:10am On Apr 15, 2018
IamaNigerianGuy:

It is abysmal, the depths to which we have sunk. This country has gone beyond failure.
It is very difficult to even begin to advise the OP because his mind and thinking are so far out.

Sad.

Believe me man, many people advising @op here are in the same poo. The lack of opportunities in this country is just too much.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Dump My Bsc Degree To Be A Mechanic Apprentice? by tunemike(m): 9:10am On Apr 15, 2018
Bro...Your issue has brought me to think of how important skill acquisition is. This is an eye opener.
Re: Should I Dump My Bsc Degree To Be A Mechanic Apprentice? by IamaNigerianGuy(m): 9:11am On Apr 15, 2018
maasoap:

Believe me man, many people advising @op here are in the same poo. The lack of opportunities in this country is just too much.

There are numerous opportunities. People are simply not mentally equipped to grab them.

In the present case, what the OP fails to understand is that what you do matters less than why you do it.
Re: Should I Dump My Bsc Degree To Be A Mechanic Apprentice? by globalfanz(m): 9:19am On Apr 15, 2018
I want to quickly tell you that you have taken the best decision please start the injector repair tutorial immediately. My experience, I owned a mack truck before now, and from my studies and researches, the biggest issue heavy duty trucks in Nigeria has revolves around FUEL SYSTEM(injector). If the injector that comes with the truck gets bad, our Nigerian mechanics does not have the right equipment and knowledge to CALIBRATE the injection pump and the injectors. For the engine to have maximum performance, there is a quantity of diesel that must be injected into the combustion chamber. If this is not done, ripple damages will set in over time which include power loss, ring wear, smoking, excessive diesel consumption etc. To cut the long story short, if you can make a difference as a graduate then it is a wordy venture.
Good luck
Re: Should I Dump My Bsc Degree To Be A Mechanic Apprentice? by press005: 9:24am On Apr 15, 2018
xtophy:
Only God and the angels know how people think on this forum. Please, if he possibly put up for the apprenticeship, what will he be eating throughout the years? And hope you guys know how many years it takes to be well grounded in automobile repairs especially if u have bosses that hide works? Guy, please THINK, THINK AND DON'T FORGET TO THINK...SHALOM

Guy, u are on point.....People form advisers upandan without dishing out something meaningful.

As a graduate that has nbdy to depend on, becoming an apprentice is very difficult not to talk of being a mechanic.

Do they even knw hw long it takes to be grounded as a mechanic??.....its more than 3yrs of which b4 that time elapses, the work fit don tire you sef.

OP, dnt allow any1 to decide for you, Go for what you feel best for yourself....But for me, i wouldn't learn mechanic rather I will go and learn how to sell the auto parts....Mechanic work no easy ooo..

1 Like

Re: Should I Dump My Bsc Degree To Be A Mechanic Apprentice? by Charles478: 9:24am On Apr 15, 2018
partnerbiz4:
You can do advanced stuff like diagnostics with machines, not necessarily like the average mech on the street.
Op go for this, its a gud idea.
Re: Should I Dump My Bsc Degree To Be A Mechanic Apprentice? by Stan642(m): 9:27am On Apr 15, 2018
My brother learning a skill is de best oo
Re: Should I Dump My Bsc Degree To Be A Mechanic Apprentice? by Nobody: 9:29am On Apr 15, 2018
cc GAZZUZZ

the real question is do you have a passion for it or are you going into it as a 'hustling' matter?

if its hustling, you may soon see another ''opportunity'and jump into that.

what do you plan on doing that will make you stand out from the other mechanics that ply the road? education is not about paper certs per se, but altering your thinking. do you plan on doing anything differently, or do you also want the quick money of fake spare parts and shoddily done 'customer must return' repairs?

2 Likes

Re: Should I Dump My Bsc Degree To Be A Mechanic Apprentice? by maasoap(m): 9:30am On Apr 15, 2018
IamaNigerianGuy:

There are numerous opportunities. People are simply not mentally equipped to grab them.

In the present case, what the OP fails to understand is that what you do matters less than why you do it.

Nowhere in the world will a country be run the way Nigeria is being run and you will claim that there are numerous opportunities. No. Those numerous opportunities are just illusions or fancy talks.
Re: Should I Dump My Bsc Degree To Be A Mechanic Apprentice? by Stan642(m): 9:31am On Apr 15, 2018
[i][/i] sadMy brother learning a skill is de best oo
Re: Should I Dump My Bsc Degree To Be A Mechanic Apprentice? by bluebird01: 9:33am On Apr 15, 2018
yes for now,hand work is key to surviving in this nigeria economy thats if you are not from the other side...
remember wen you done with your apprentice pick back your bsc.its needed oo
Re: Should I Dump My Bsc Degree To Be A Mechanic Apprentice? by sisisioge: 9:34am On Apr 15, 2018
Go for it man....you will stand out soon. Learn to explore more and apply both local and foreign. You will soon rule the world there.
Re: Should I Dump My Bsc Degree To Be A Mechanic Apprentice? by dru23(m): 9:39am On Apr 15, 2018
Gaddafiyusf:
Bros the earlier the better. I ditched mine long time ego.I started uber. Now I have my car and three other working for me. Though it is not easy but believe.

Re: Should I Dump My Bsc Degree To Be A Mechanic Apprentice? by AerialMapper: 9:42am On Apr 15, 2018
It will not be a bad decision but you need to decide if you want to stay an apprentice or go further and develop more skills. I know a company, a Nigerian company that pays its mechanic over 3,000,000 a month. This is minus house rent and allowances. There is a high demand for skilled mechanics and that company is looking for another.
Re: Should I Dump My Bsc Degree To Be A Mechanic Apprentice? by otswag(m): 9:42am On Apr 15, 2018
maasoap:

If his boss knows that he is a graduate, I believe that he will be respected and treated better. Why? Because many of these artisans too have children schools. They know what it takes to be a graduate because they are taking care of one or more students financially.
true sha.
Re: Should I Dump My Bsc Degree To Be A Mechanic Apprentice? by Danpraise4ever: 9:44am On Apr 15, 2018
I am a graduate with two degrees, my little cousin that my dad brought from the village to learn auto mechanic today has built like four houses, I can't count his cars (cus I don't know the letest ones, we are no longer close, courtesy of class differences), I am here still hoping to succeed one day..
My brothers, if you have passion for mechanic work, go and learn, give your self, six year from now.. You will make it... Good luck...
Re: Should I Dump My Bsc Degree To Be A Mechanic Apprentice? by sexy74(m): 9:58am On Apr 15, 2018
ewa20buredi100:
Hi,
I need your advice or counsel on this issue that has been giving me sleepless night.
I am sharing this on nairaland because i feel there are men and women of mature minds and who have lots of experiences on here from diverse walks of life who can be of help.

I have been unemployed for almost 10months now, though before now i worked as a Chemistry teacher for some years until tragedy struck early last year(lost a very vital person in my life). I had to quit the teaching job (because the incident happened at the time where the senior students were preparing for their WASSCE) and as the first born i had funeral rites to perform.
After the burial things weren't too pleasant with me, so i had to re-locate from Lagos to Benin (to stay with an Uncle). My plan was that after everything i would go for any professional course or do one of these HSE courses to boost my chances of getting a job, but due to re-location and financial constraint i had to think of something else.

It happens that where i am currently staying in Benin; along Benin-Agbor road, close to NNPC depot before Benin-Agbor by-pass; has this influx of trailers and heavy duty trucks transporting goods and PMS/diesel/coaltar to and from other states.
Hence the availability of lots of truck's spare-parts markets in the area as well truck mechanics with shops everywhere dealing in repairs of different types of truck (Scania, MACK, M.A.N diesel, etc).

Being that i have been idle for a while now, a thought just came to me that instead of staying idle why not apply to be a Diesel Injector engine mechanic apprentice.

I want to know if that thought is worth giving a try and what are the things that may likely happen being that i did not read an engineering course from the University and what may become of my life. I am 28years of age.

Please help a brother by pushing it to front page mod.
1forall
Brother if you love it go for the mechanic apprentice education is just a plus.
All you have to do is be dedicated and bring innovations to make it better you will Excell
Re: Should I Dump My Bsc Degree To Be A Mechanic Apprentice? by awa(m): 9:58am On Apr 15, 2018
Wait till your hungry
Re: Should I Dump My Bsc Degree To Be A Mechanic Apprentice? by pascalbenz: 9:59am On Apr 15, 2018
xtophy:
Only God and the angels know how people think on this forum. Please, if he possibly put up for the apprenticeship, what will he be eating throughout the years? And hope you guys know how many years it takes to be well grounded in automobile repairs especially if u have bosses that hide works? Guy, please THINK, THINK AND DON'T FORGET TO THINK...SHALOM
baba you just made a point .... Am victim of dis oga hidding works from boys even till date, am just planing to walk away and go find a better place ...work that will take you about 2yrs to learn my oga said 4 so that he will dellay you, @ the end you will be blaming your self.. Though mine z welding and metal fabs
Re: Should I Dump My Bsc Degree To Be A Mechanic Apprentice? by tybabeanny: 10:02am On Apr 15, 2018
ewa20buredi100:
Hi,
I need your advice or counsel on this issue that has been giving me sleepless night.
I am sharing this on nairaland because i feel there are men and women of mature minds and who have lots of experiences on here from diverse walks of life who can be of help.

I have been unemployed for almost 10months now, though before now i worked as a Chemistry teacher for some years until tragedy struck early last year(lost a very vital person in my life). I had to quit the teaching job (because the incident happened at the time where the senior students were preparing for their WASSCE) and as the first born i had funeral rites to perform.
After the burial things weren't too pleasant with me, so i had to re-locate from Lagos to Benin (to stay with an Uncle). My plan was that after everything i would go for any professional course or do one of these HSE courses to boost my chances of getting a job, but due to re-location and financial constraint i had to think of something else.

It happens that where i am currently staying in Benin; along Benin-Agbor road, close to NNPC depot before Benin-Agbor by-pass; has this influx of trailers and heavy duty trucks transporting goods and PMS/diesel/coaltar to and from other states.
Hence the availability of lots of truck's spare-parts markets in the area as well truck mechanics with shops everywhere dealing in repairs of different types of truck (Scania, MACK, M.A.N diesel, etc).

Being that i have been idle for a while now, a thought just came to me that instead of staying idle why not apply to be a Diesel Injector engine mechanic apprentice.

I want to know if that thought is worth giving a try and what are the things that may likely happen being that i did not read an engineering course from the University and what may become of my life. I am 28years of age.

Please help a brother by pushing it to front page mod.
1forall
If you really have the interest go for it, my husband has MSc in bio-chemistry but is mechanic work that is putting food on our table. He did a course online about automatic gear, it cost about 25k, and he also learn from the road side for 3month, while learning he downloaded cars manual so before working on any car he goes through the manual and have scanning tools. It's very tedious but it pays well.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Dump My Bsc Degree To Be A Mechanic Apprentice? by Nobody: 10:03am On Apr 15, 2018
xtophy:
oga his boss will definitely find him something to take home even if it is litle, tell me. how has he been eating for the last 10months of joblessness? when he gets to the bridge he will cross it, provided he has something doing that will be productive Leta.. happy Sunday.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Ladies, Which Of These Can You Do For A Living? / How Much S The Startin Salary For Telecommunication Engineers In Nigeria Telecom / I Resigned From The "Land Of Slavery" In 2015, My Testimony Now

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.