Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,567 members, 7,801,611 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 06:14 PM

World Powers React To Syria Strikes - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / World Powers React To Syria Strikes (553 Views)

Russia Sends Warplanes To Syria For Huge Naval Drills (Pics, Video) / World Powers React To Syria Strikes / Bombs Hit Syria's Ghouta. Many Dead (Graphics Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

World Powers React To Syria Strikes by LordTrezy(m): 5:25am On Apr 15, 2018
The United States, Britain and France carried out a wave of punitive strikes against Bashar al-Assad’s Syrian regime on Saturday, April 14, 2017 in response to alleged chemical weapons attacks that President Donald Trump branded the “crimes of a monster.”/ AFP

Here is a roundup of key reactions to the strikes by the United States, Britain, and France against the regime of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad:

Syria
“The Syrian Arab Republic condemns in the strongest terms the brutal American-British-French aggression against Syria, which constitutes a flagrant violation of international law,” the foreign ministry said.

The United States
“A perfectly executed strike last night. Thank you to France and the United Kingdom for their wisdom and the power of their fine Military,” US President Donald Trump tweeted.

“Could not have had a better result. Mission Accomplished!”

US Ambassador Nikki Haley warned her UN counterparts that although the mission was designed as a one-off, that did not preclude further action against Assad.

“I spoke to the president this morning and he said: ‘If the Syrian regime uses this poisonous gas again, the United States is locked and loaded,'” Haley said at emergency Security Council talks.

“When our president draws a red line, our president enforces the red line.”

Russia
“Russia severely condemns the attack on Syria where Russian military are helping the lawful government in the fight with terrorism,” the Kremlin said in a statement. It said it was calling an emergency session of the United Nations Security Council.

China
China said it was “opposed to the use of force” in international relations. It called for a political solution and a “return to the framework of international law”.

Iran
Assad’s key regional ally, Iran’s Supreme leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, branded US President Donald Trump, France’s Emmanuel Macron and Britain’s Theresa May “criminals”.

Israel
“A year ago I gave Israel’s total support for (US) President Donald Trump’s decision to mobilise against the use of chemical weapons,” Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said, referring to American strikes against the Syrian regime in April 2017 after a sarin gas attack on a rebel-held town.

“Israel’s support remains unchanged,” he added.

Middle East/North Africa
Qatar was the first Gulf country to react. An official statement expressed support for strikes to stop attacks by the Syrian regime against civilians.

Egypt’s foreign ministry expressed “deep concern” saying the strikes undermined the “safety of our brotherly Syrian people, and threatens the understandings reached regarding the de-escalation zones.”

Algerian Foreign Minister Ahmed Ouyahia said his country regretted that the strikes came “at a time when the international community was waiting for an inquiry team to be sent to verify” the chemical arms claims.

“These strikes will create an atmosphere which will weigh negatively on moves to resolve the Syrian crisis through a political settlement.”

NATO
NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg in a statement backed the strikes, saying they “will reduce the regime’s ability to further attack the people of Syria with chemical weapons”.

NATO expressed “full support for this action intended to degrade the Syrian regime’s chemical weapons capability and deter further chemical weapon attacks against the people of Syria,” the alliance said in second statement.

“Chemical weapons cannot be used with impunity or become normalized. They are an immediate danger to the Syrian people and to our collective security.”

United Nations
“I urge all member states to show restraint in these dangerous circumstances and to avoid any acts that could escalate the situation and worsen the suffering of the Syrian people,” said UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres in a statement.

Saudi Arabia
“Saudi Arabia fully supports the strikes launched by the United States, France and Britain against Syria because they represent a response to the regime’s crimes,” a foreign ministry statement said.

The strikes were prompted by the “Syrian regime’s use of chemical weapons against innocent civilians, including women and children”, it added.

Turkey
“We welcome this operation which has eased humanity’s conscience in the face of the attack in Douma,” the Turkish foreign ministry said in a statement. It accused Damascus of “crimes against humanity”.

Europe
European Council President Donald Tusk said on Twitter that the European Union supported the strikes and “will stand with our allies on the side of justice”.

German Chancellor Angela Merkel called the strikes a “necessary and appropriate military intervention”.

The Czech Republic, the Netherlands, Portugal, Romania, Slovenia and Spain defended the strikes as justified by evidence of a chemical attack.

Cuba
“Cuba’s Revolutionary government expresses its strongest condemnation of this new attack by the United States and its allies” against “military and civilian infrastructure”.

The strikes are “a flagrant violation of the principles of international law and the charter (of the UN Security Council) and an outrage against a sovereign state which will only worsen the conflict in (Syria) and the region,” it added.

Amnesty International
“All precautions must be taken to minimise harm to civilians in any military action,” Raed Jarrar, advocacy director for the Middle East and North Africa at rights watchdog Amnesty International USA said in a statement.

channelstv.com
Re: World Powers React To Syria Strikes by DuBLINGreenb(m): 5:35am On Apr 15, 2018
World powers not even one African country mentioned undecided you sure say dem no curse Africa Every bad list we go full am anything good you no go see us na to fight our self we sabi.

Mean while if I become president I will reclaim bakkassi peninsula vote me for 2022 abeg and I will make Nigeria to be respected naira landers I need your votes I am yet to chose a party
Re: World Powers React To Syria Strikes by taurusdude0(m): 5:46am On Apr 15, 2018
I wrote one long story about the whole thing, then just to check out something else with bing my foolish browser erased it. me I no write again
Re: World Powers React To Syria Strikes by Mjshexy(f): 5:46am On Apr 15, 2018
Please what was our President's reaction to the strikes?
Re: World Powers React To Syria Strikes by ehbellsho(m): 5:53am On Apr 15, 2018
pls u didn't mention our president's comment... oh! he hasn't said anything. guess he's so busy strategizing for second term he wil only smell
Re: World Powers React To Syria Strikes by fernandez1(m): 6:12am On Apr 15, 2018
Whalai this trump go like warfare oooo when him enter presido.......una president gree understand English ....we dey observe
Re: World Powers React To Syria Strikes by collinspro(m): 6:45am On Apr 15, 2018
DuBLINGreenb:
World powers not even one African country mentioned undecided you sure say dem no curse Africa Every bad list we go full am anything good you no go see us na to fight our self we sabi.

Mean while if I become president I will reclaim bakkassi peninsula vote me for 2022 abeg and I will make Nigeria to be respected naira landers I need your votes I am yet to chose a party
Are u sure u read it
Re: World Powers React To Syria Strikes by hatchy(f): 6:47am On Apr 15, 2018
Buharis comment.....
President Muhammadu Buhari have blamed the immediate past President Goodluck Jonathan and his party PDP for the American,British and French military strike against Syrian government.

Meanwhile, he has ordered NNPC to supply enough gas to the Syrian people....

Olodo President!
Re: World Powers React To Syria Strikes by TheFreeOne: 8:08am On Apr 15, 2018
ehbellsho:
pls u didn't mention our president's comment... oh! he hasn't said anything.
guess he's so busy strategizing for second term he wil only smell

Which president? The heading is reactions from world powers...

So you expect a snail to step out when there's a roll call of animals with horns

(1) (Reply)

U. S. Senators Confirmed Ms Gina Haspel As CIA Director / 10 Things You Need To Know About Finland's First Black MP Who Is Openly Gay / Police Are Using Drones To Yell At People For Being Outside

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.