Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,002 members, 7,799,435 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 09:13 PM

Man City Crowned 2017-2018 Premier League Champions After Shock Man Utd Loss - Sports (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Man City Crowned 2017-2018 Premier League Champions After Shock Man Utd Loss (32520 Views)

Golden Eaglets Crowned 2022 WAFU B Champions After Beating Burkina Faso In Final / Liverpool Crowned Premier League Champions After 30 Years Wait / A PSG Fan Shattered His Television After PSG 1 - 3 Man Utd Loss (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Man City Crowned 2017-2018 Premier League Champions After Shock Man Utd Loss by Culin(f): 11:48pm On Apr 15, 2018
martineverest:
he just started with the players he met... the only one he bought was gundogan,who was injured for 6months

Was it not last season he bought Bernado silva and Ederson, in addy to Gundogan? what about Conte that started with players he was managing for the first time and still went ahead to win the premier league? Conte just brought in luiz, kante and alonso.

2 Likes

Re: Man City Crowned 2017-2018 Premier League Champions After Shock Man Utd Loss by chigoziri2403(m): 11:53pm On Apr 15, 2018
kstyle2:
To be Frank, man utd has lost that fear and respect they once commanded. How can a team like man utd resort to using defensive tactics against sevilla, Tottenham etc. In the days of Fergie, this league would have gone down to the wire. Left for me, i think diego someone would do a better job at man utd than mourinho
and Diego simeone isn't defensive?

1 Like

Re: Man City Crowned 2017-2018 Premier League Champions After Shock Man Utd Loss by Apina(m): 11:53pm On Apr 15, 2018
phoenixthefirst:
Pep is a brilliant coach.

pep is a fraud undecided
Re: Man City Crowned 2017-2018 Premier League Champions After Shock Man Utd Loss by LegitBoy(m): 12:06am On Apr 16, 2018
Highbrow:
Whether you like or loathe Pep, he is the best coach out there.
Best coach because he won the premier league in his second season? I wonder what you wer expecting with the huge budget and quality of players at his disposal. Conte won the league too last season with even a far lesser budget. Man city under pep is yet to live up to expectations.
Re: Man City Crowned 2017-2018 Premier League Champions After Shock Man Utd Loss by LegitBoy(m): 12:13am On Apr 16, 2018
martineverest:
they might be expensive but average players which were made stars, courtesy of pep
pogba would have been a super star if he was under pep
How many average players were made stars under pep? Pep hasn't done anything spectacular in City yet for winning the premier league really because Leicester and Chelsea won it too even with a far less expensive budget. With all the money, Pep was thrashed home and away by Liverpool and you're here saying Pep is the best thing out there. Pep is already preparing for our another spending spree in the summer, Pep only get the best players and put them together not that he has worked with average players and make things work. Any small issue in the team, he will run to the transfer market. Best coach my foot.

1 Like

Re: Man City Crowned 2017-2018 Premier League Champions After Shock Man Utd Loss by Gr8amechi: 12:16am On Apr 16, 2018
Culin:

Was it not last season he bought Bernado silva and Ederson, in addy to Gundogan? what about Conte that started with players he was managing for the first time and still went ahead to win the premier league? Conte just brought in luiz, kante and alonso.
Hehehehehhehheheheh hatred has blinded you. Ederson and Bernardo was bought this season, last season Bernardo played for Monaco. now on Conte if he was so special why is he struggling to make top 4 after signing over 9 players? The thing you don't get is it's not about winning with anyhow and Through any means, that was what Conte did last season, they didn't have any European match so they concentrated on only epl hence had more resting time. And remember Conte bought luiz, Alonso last season immediately he took over Chelsea, he bought over 4 or 5 players so don't say he didn't sign any players at all

2 Likes

Re: Man City Crowned 2017-2018 Premier League Champions After Shock Man Utd Loss by Gr8amechi: 12:18am On Apr 16, 2018
LegitBoy:
Best coach because he won the premier league in his second season? I wonder what you wer expecting with the huge budget and quality of players at his disposal. Conte won the league too last season with even a far lesser budget. Man city under pep is yet to live up to expectations.
Sir Alex won the epl after 6 seasons of massive spending so winning epl in his second season doesn't make him a bad coach. What we should expect is the reaction from next season

1 Like

Re: Man City Crowned 2017-2018 Premier League Champions After Shock Man Utd Loss by Gr8amechi: 12:22am On Apr 16, 2018
LegitBoy:

How many average players were made stars under pep? Pep hasn't done anything spectacular in City yet for winning the premier league really because Leicester and Chelsea won it too even with a far less expensive budget. With all the money, Pep was thrashed home and away by Liverpool and you're here saying Pep is the best thing out there. Pep is already preparing for our another spending spree in the summer, Pep only get the best players and put them together not that he has worked with average players and make things work. Any small issue in the team, he will run to the transfer market. Best coach my foot.
How many of the players he bought are world best players or world class??
Was Jesus Gabriel who was just 19 years world class?? Or was sane who was 20 when he was bought world class or was Gundogan world class??, was Danilo, a Madrid reject world class or was Delph a world class player?? Was stones or LaPorte world class??
Looks like you don't understand the meaning of the word world class, for you to call a player world class meaning he is among top 3 or top5 in the world for the position that he plays and none of the players pep bought is top 3 in the world for the position they play. Was ederson top 3 keepers in the world? He wasn't even ontop 5

8 Likes

Re: Man City Crowned 2017-2018 Premier League Champions After Shock Man Utd Loss by LegitBoy(m): 12:30am On Apr 16, 2018
Gr8amechi:
How many of the players he bought are world best players or world class??
Was Jesus Gabriel who was just 19 years world class?? Or was sane who was 20 when he was bought world class or was Gundogan world class??, was Danilo, a Madrid reject world class or was Delph a world class player?? Was stones or LaPorte world class??
Looks like you don't understand the meaning of the word world class, for you to call a player world class meaning he is among top 3 or top5 in the world for the position that he plays and none of the players pep bought is top 3 in the world for the position they play. Was ederson top 3 keepers in the world? He wasn't even ontop 5
Being among top 3 or top 5 is your definition of world class? SMH. LaPorte an established defender is not a world class player? Ikay Gudogan too? Many Madrid reject will make first team in premier league clubs.... Didn't Di Maria lost out his place or he wasn't a world class player? Bros please watch football and stop reading things out of context.

1 Like

Re: Man City Crowned 2017-2018 Premier League Champions After Shock Man Utd Loss by Culin(f): 12:58am On Apr 16, 2018
Gr8amechi:
Hehehehehhehheheheh hatred has blinded you. Ederson and Bernardo was bought this season, last season Bernardo played for Monaco. now on Conte if he was so special why is he struggling to make top 4 after signing over 9 players? The thing you don't get is it's not about winning with anyhow and Through any means, that was what Conte did last season, they didn't have any European match so they concentrated on only epl hence had more resting time. And remember Conte bought luiz, Alonso last season immediately he took over Chelsea, he bought over 4 or 5 players so don't say he didn't sign any players at all

Oh ok, I thought they came in last season. It doesn't even matter who he bought Last season or didn't buy, if he's thaaat good, he should have been able to win epl with the players he had then. Even Ranieri won the league with his less than £60m squad in his first season at Leicester. Guardiola did it with a £780m or so squad. My point is that Guardiola didn't "open any nyansh". Instead premier league exposed him, he's only good when he's got good/expensive players. It's not a matter of hating Guardiola or Man city because I don't, but the premier league is the true test of a coach.

Meanwhile.. No vex me o, Chelsea did not win the league "anyhow and through any means" last season. They played good football.

1 Like

Re: Man City Crowned 2017-2018 Premier League Champions After Shock Man Utd Loss by Culin(f): 12:58am On Apr 16, 2018
Gr8amechi:
Re: Man City Crowned 2017-2018 Premier League Champions After Shock Man Utd Loss by Soso990240(m): 1:12am On Apr 16, 2018
Culin:

Silver was bought beginning of the season. Same with Mendy.

2 Likes

Re: Man City Crowned 2017-2018 Premier League Champions After Shock Man Utd Loss by Nobody: 1:57am On Apr 16, 2018
Highbrow:

No. Because he made average players like Sterling, Sane better. And because he has a wonderful game plan. And because he used his expensive players seamlessly with the old players.

Which team is yours?
u called sterling and sane average?? shocked
u serious??
same sterling that was part of SAS(suarez and sturridge in liv) or sane that was already showing mad promise in the bundesliga
also nothing about players merging together was seamless cuz city finished 3rd last year

1 Like

Re: Man City Crowned 2017-2018 Premier League Champions After Shock Man Utd Loss by Nobody: 2:00am On Apr 16, 2018
martineverest:
overrated league

guadiorla opened their nyash
do d english media overhype the league a wee bit -yes
but trust me d league is not overrated
if u had said energy sapping and no xmas break league i for agree but come 2019 xmas breaks are introduced

1 Like

Re: Man City Crowned 2017-2018 Premier League Champions After Shock Man Utd Loss by Nobody: 2:03am On Apr 16, 2018
kstyle2:
To be Frank, man utd has lost that fear and respect they once commanded. How can a team like man utd resort to using defensive tactics against sevilla, Tottenham etc. In the days of Fergie, this league would have gone down to the wire. Left for me, i think diego someone would do a better job at man utd than mourinho
Ac milan and inter used to attract world class players but that's not the case now
football is cyclic in nature
no team stays on top forever
Re: Man City Crowned 2017-2018 Premier League Champions After Shock Man Utd Loss by Reference(m): 6:36am On Apr 16, 2018
phoenixthefirst:
Pep is a brilliant coach.

I doubt that, on the principle that any prospector who cannot adapt to mitigating circumstances in his quest for excellence cannot enjoy long term success. It is good to be rigid and dogged in the pursuit of performance based on set pathways but the nature thrives on camoflague. The reason why bacteria, viruses and cancer is so successful is that it constantly mutates, changes to stay ahead of its pursuers.

Pep has stuck to a system of management comprising of players, clubs, technics and tactics that has and will increasingly become predictable. His deep seated lrgacy at Barcelona is the reason why the club hasnot been able to win the UCL for years now despite fielding some of the best players on earth. The Bayern he left is a much better outfit now and I predict they could go all the way and lift the cup.

As for Pep and City I simply cannot see them lifting the UCL except if all stars align for them and they play against a Marseille or Villareal in the final. In England what I see in Pep is what I saw in Arsene Wenger when he came to the EPL. He too was revolutionary in management, technics and tactics but his rigidity has not permitted him to enjoy the kind of long term success the more liberal Alex Ferguson was. Once the Premiership rises to the challenge of Pep it will carch up and Pep will haveno option but to buy success at any cost or move on to new grounds where they know him not like he is apt to do.

I wouldn't bet long term on him. Still not convinced.

2 Likes

Re: Man City Crowned 2017-2018 Premier League Champions After Shock Man Utd Loss by Reference(m): 6:56am On Apr 16, 2018
kyjuan99:

Ac milan and inter used to attract world class players but that's not the case now
football is cyclic in nature
no team stays on top forever

You can say that again. Even the club you can call the best of all time, Real Madrid had extended periods of sporting droughts the most recent during the early part of the 'Perez Galactic Era' when they spent a lot and won very little... and it could be that when Ronaldo and Ramos are done the team could slip back into dormancy even with heavy investment.

Sports in general is all about eras. Nothing lasts forever. There was a time Spain couldn't win a teacup. They were perenial underachievers like Holland even with massive football clubs in Barca, Valencia and Madrid, a low point being the loss to Nigeria in world cup 98, but they pushed on, on the back of La Masia, tiki-taka and a system that didn't fight club football but adapted the national team character to it. The results were stunning. A world cup, record back to back Euros. That era is over now and the once feared Spain, like Italy has taken the back seat to watch the likes of Germany and the rising Belgium.

2 Likes

Re: Man City Crowned 2017-2018 Premier League Champions After Shock Man Utd Loss by Decapo: 6:56am On Apr 16, 2018
badmrkt:
Feel bad about Man U losing, but I feel better knowing we whooped shiitys ass in their home. We own next season!!!
Ur head dey dere
Re: Man City Crowned 2017-2018 Premier League Champions After Shock Man Utd Loss by phoenixthefirst(m): 6:57am On Apr 16, 2018
Reference:

I doubt that, on the principle that any prospector who cannot adapt to mitigating circumstances in his quest for excellence cannot enjoy long term success. It is good to be rigid and dogged in the pursuit of performance based on set pathways but the nature thrives on camoflague. The reason why bacteria, viruses and cancer is so successful is that it constantly mutates, changes to stay ahead of its pursuers.

Pep has stuck to a system of management comprising of players, clubs, technics and tactics that has and will increasingly become predictable. His deep seated lrgacy at Barcelona is the reason why the club hasnot been able to win the UCL for years now despite fielding some of the best players on earth. The Bayern he left is a much better outfit now and I predict they could go all the way and lift the cup.

As for Pep and City I simply cannot see them lifting the UCL except if all stars align for them and they play against a Marseille or Villareal in the final. In England what I see in Pep is what I saw in Arsene Wenger when he came to the EPL. He too was revolutionary in management, technics and tactics but his rigidity has not permitted him to enjoy the kind of long term success the more liberal Alex Ferguson was. Once the Premiership rises to the challenge of Pep it will carch up and Pep will haveno option but to buy success at any cost or move on to new grounds where they know him not like he is apt to do.

I wouldn't bet long term on him. Still not convinced.
You forgot that the Champions League can be won by any team and to show how great you are as a coach you have to consistently win your league, something Pep is set to do in the EPL.

If you consistently win your league and occasionally do the Champions League then you are great because no one team has ever won the Champions League the ways certain teams have dominated their leagues.

At first, people like you said Pep's style would be useless in the almighty EPL, but now your bias has made you dig up another excuse that he can't win the Champions League.

You compared Pep's unchanging style to viruses' mutation in order to say viruses are so successful because of their mutation but you forget that the circumstances surrounding viruses and those surrounding Pep in football might be dissimilar. Hence, your comparison might just be irrational. Be careful when you use an analogy.

What does it tell you now that Pep has won the EPL after so many EPL fans said Pep's style would not work in the EPL?

You have only succeeded in limiting Pep's chances the way too or so many EPL fans did even if they have now been shocked as Pep did not just win the EPL but won it setting a number of records, playing the style that they said even Stoke City would show would not work.

I think EPL fans who thought Pep would not succeed in the EPL should bury their heads in shame.

2 Likes

Re: Man City Crowned 2017-2018 Premier League Champions After Shock Man Utd Loss by felaismyhero(m): 7:06am On Apr 16, 2018
Highbrow:
Whether you like or loathe Pep, he is the best coach out there.
i dont loathe him,but am sure jurgen klopp is a far better coach.
Re: Man City Crowned 2017-2018 Premier League Champions After Shock Man Utd Loss by martineverest(m): 7:10am On Apr 16, 2018
chigoziri2403:
and Diego simeone isn't defensive?
simeone style is far different...he's into massive attack and massive defense with awesome type of football....he play a very good midfield too
Re: Man City Crowned 2017-2018 Premier League Champions After Shock Man Utd Loss by phoenixthefirst(m): 7:11am On Apr 16, 2018
Apina:

pep is a fraud undecided
Take it easy. I can see how hard it is. Easy, bro.
Re: Man City Crowned 2017-2018 Premier League Champions After Shock Man Utd Loss by phoenixthefirst(m): 7:14am On Apr 16, 2018
kyjuan99:

u called sterling and sane average?? shocked
u serious??
same sterling that was part of SAS(suarez and sturridge in liv) or sane that was already showing mad promise in the bundesliga
also nothing about players merging together was seamless cuz city finished 3rd last year
They finished third last year but have now won the EPL. What does that tell you?

Plus, I didn't know Sane and Sterling WERE world class.
Re: Man City Crowned 2017-2018 Premier League Champions After Shock Man Utd Loss by Nobody: 7:17am On Apr 16, 2018
felaismyhero:
i dont loathe him,but am sure jurgen klopp is a far better coach.
And I think Benitez is a far better coach than Klopp.
Re: Man City Crowned 2017-2018 Premier League Champions After Shock Man Utd Loss by Nobody: 7:18am On Apr 16, 2018
LegitBoy:
He has not lived up to expectations? Are you serious? I give up.
Re: Man City Crowned 2017-2018 Premier League Champions After Shock Man Utd Loss by felaismyhero(m): 7:18am On Apr 16, 2018
osazsky:
who needs DAT irrelevant cup,the EFL and fa cup shld be scraped or left for team B so that English teams can compete in d UCL,considering their prize money,eroupa too 10m
lol,funny you,did u know that the fa cup prize money is more than that of the league?
Re: Man City Crowned 2017-2018 Premier League Champions After Shock Man Utd Loss by felaismyhero(m): 7:32am On Apr 16, 2018
Highbrow:

And I think Benitez is a far better coach than Klopp.
wow!,seriously.i guess u are saying dis cos u vexed am against ur point.well,my opinion is based more on his success with bvb than with liverpool.apart from reus,gundogan and maybe kagawa,others were average.he won the bundesliga.he reached ucl finals.klopp is the only coach i know that can make an everton win the league and maybe even d ucl.hmm,i doubt pep can do that.
Re: Man City Crowned 2017-2018 Premier League Champions After Shock Man Utd Loss by Nobody: 8:40am On Apr 16, 2018
[quote author=felaismyhero post=66748771]wow!,seriously.i guess u are saying dis cos u vexed am against ur point.well,my opinion is based more on his success with bvb than with liverpool.apart from reus,gundogan and maybe kagawa,others were average.he won the bundesliga.he reached ucl finals.klopp is the only coach i know that can make an everton win the league and maybe even d ucl.hmm,i doubt pep can do that.[/quote
And Pep won six trophies in Barcelona in his first season with a Barcelona team without its major players. Or did you forget that in Pep's first season in Barcelona in which he won six trophies, he didn't use Ronaldinho, Deco, and/or one or two other best players of Barcelona then. He sold them and built a team around the unknown players like Xavi, Iniesta, and Messi. Yes Xavi, Iniesta, and even Messi were not starters then.
Re: Man City Crowned 2017-2018 Premier League Champions After Shock Man Utd Loss by chigoziri2403(m): 8:45am On Apr 16, 2018
martineverest:
simeone style is far different...he's into massive attack and massive defense with awesome type of football....he play a very good midfield too
awesome?
Re: Man City Crowned 2017-2018 Premier League Champions After Shock Man Utd Loss by segzy3(m): 8:55am On Apr 16, 2018
Culin:

Silva &ederson was bought this season.its obvious u don't know anything about city
Re: Man City Crowned 2017-2018 Premier League Champions After Shock Man Utd Loss by Greven(m): 8:56am On Apr 16, 2018
felaismyhero:
lol,funny you,did u know that the fa cup prize money is more than that of the league?
i do hear people say this but it ain't true, ... Fa cup prize money cannot be compared with the epl, it is far below it....just that The F.A cup is the oldest competition in the world
Re: Man City Crowned 2017-2018 Premier League Champions After Shock Man Utd Loss by segzy3(m): 9:02am On Apr 16, 2018
felaismyhero:
stop talking like a kid.u can say fa cup prize money is greater than carrabao. But the difference is small. EPL prize money remains the largest.even at a time last year some EPL teams were planning to leave champions league before uefa restructured it

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Jude Ighalo Shares His Throwback Photo; Says "Money Is Good" / Lewandowski To Be Named "Best Player In The World" After Losing Ballon D’or / Lionel Messi's Lifetime Statistics 2004 - 2017

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.