Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,306 members, 7,808,037 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:09 AM

Nigeria's Investment Inflows Rise To $68.5 Billion - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Nigeria's Investment Inflows Rise To $68.5 Billion (6330 Views)

After $1bn Drop, Nigeria May Suffer Further Decline In FX Inflows – PWC / $48b Forex Inflows, $45b Reserves Stabilise Naira / Crude Oil Price Climbs To $68 As Supplies Tighten (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria's Investment Inflows Rise To $68.5 Billion by Truth234(m): 4:19am On Apr 16, 2018
Improved economic outlook following the series of progress recorded across the Nigerian economy bolstered economic attractiveness in 2017.

The economy attracted a total investment inflow of $68.5 billion (N20.89 trillion) between 2013 and 2017, the National Bureau of Statistics reported on Friday.

The report showed investment inflows were from three main sources; Foreign Direct Investments, Portfolio Investments and other investments like credits, loans, currency deposit and other claims.

Breakdown of the report revealed that investment inflows surged from $20.83 billion in 2013 to $20.76 in 2014 but declined by more than 50 percent in 2015 to $9.65 billion due to the global oil glut that eventually plunged the nation into its first economic recession in 25 years.

The report showed investments decrease even further in 2016 to $5.1 billion during the height of the economic recession and low dollar liquidity.

However, the positive economic outlook following Opec and non-Opec agreement in November 2016 to cap production and the series of policy instituted by the government to aid economic recovery saw investment inflows rising by $7.1 billion to $12.2 billion in 2017.

The report also noted that portfolio investment contributed the most with a total inflow of $47.4 billion within the five year period. While other investments like trade credit, loans, etc added $14.11 billion.

Foreign direct investment comprises of equity and other capital had inflow of $7.03 billion.

Ambassador Chiedu Osakwe, the Trade Advisor to the Minister of Industry, Trade and Investment and Chief Trade Negotiator for Nigeria said contrary to widespread belief that Nigeria is not an attractive investment destination, the report shows global investors still find Nigeria attractive.

“The interest by foreign investors in the Nigerian economy is the highest that we have seen since 1979. The question we ask ourselves is, why? And the answer is based on the scale of the Nigerian economy, the opportunities of the economy and the growth potential," he added.

The manufacturing sector has been expanding for the last 12 months with inflation rate gradually moderating from record high to 13.34 percent in March. Therefore, it is normal to see a surge in business confidence and capital inflow, said Samed Olukoya, a foreign exchange research analyst at Investors King Ltd.

According to the analyst, the economy will get even better in 2018 "with the Brent crude oil rising to a three-year high and projected to reach as high as $80 a barrel this year, the Nigerian economic outlook will improve further as the central bank will be able to sustain forex intervention and deepen its diversification program."

However, it is important to broaden growth by adjusting monetary policy to reflect current progress and encourage more local players in national building, Samed stated.

http://investorsking.com/nigerias-investment-inflows-rise-to-68-5-billion/

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria's Investment Inflows Rise To $68.5 Billion by rusher14: 5:22am On Apr 16, 2018
Impressive.

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria's Investment Inflows Rise To $68.5 Billion by emiwanlee(m): 5:37am On Apr 16, 2018
But 115 multinational companies are threatening to leave, more than 20 has already left

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria's Investment Inflows Rise To $68.5 Billion by Truth234(m): 6:16am On Apr 16, 2018
emiwanlee:
But 115 multinational companies are threatening to leave, more than 20 has already left

No 115 companies leaving Nigeria. The ones that left did during the economic recession and those complaining are the ones that can no longer repatriate fund through the back door. If MTN could beg and involved South African president in an effort to stay in Nigeria, I don't know which 115 companies you are talking about because the last time I checked, DSTV, Shoprite, MTN, Mobil, KPMG, etc are all flourishing.

38 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Nigeria's Investment Inflows Rise To $68.5 Billion by rusher14: 6:26am On Apr 16, 2018
Truth234:

No 115 companies leaving Nigeria. The ones that left did during the economic recession and those complaining are the ones that can no longer repatriate fund through the back door. If MTN could beg and involved South African president in an effort to stay in Nigeria, I don't know which 115 companies you are talking about because the last time I checked, DSTV, Shoprite, MTN, Mobil, KPMG, etc are all flourishing.

Don't mind those people.

Haven't you noticed they've gone into negative overdrive the last few days?

No matter the focus of the thread, they find something negative to say.

27 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Nigeria's Investment Inflows Rise To $68.5 Billion by NaijaFutbol: 7:29am On Apr 16, 2018
I hope this is not an attempt to count achievements.

For those who wil only read title, here is the summary:

2013, GEJ, $20.83bn

2014, GEJ, $20.76bn

2015, PMB, $9.65bn

2016, PMB, $7.1bn

2017, PMB, $12.2bn

Thatsall

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria's Investment Inflows Rise To $68.5 Billion by Tybabe0001(m): 7:29am On Apr 16, 2018
Am learning a new lesson
Re: Nigeria's Investment Inflows Rise To $68.5 Billion by Sarang(f): 7:30am On Apr 16, 2018
smiley

Please check my signature
Re: Nigeria's Investment Inflows Rise To $68.5 Billion by NOC1(m): 7:30am On Apr 16, 2018
emiwanlee:

Pls can you be TRUTHful and give us the list of the companies that left and they ones that are about to live. While doing that quietly back it up with a verifiable source.
Thank you and have a TRUTHful week ahead.

15 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Nigeria's Investment Inflows Rise To $68.5 Billion by slightlyMad(f): 7:32am On Apr 16, 2018
I like how every government of the day at last minutes get the national bereau of statistics to reel out unverifiable figures of economic growth in a futile bid to hang on to power.

Buhari, you are going back to daura to continue herding your cattle.

6 Likes

Re: Nigeria's Investment Inflows Rise To $68.5 Billion by Pavore9: 7:32am On Apr 16, 2018
Yawns.....
Re: Nigeria's Investment Inflows Rise To $68.5 Billion by kingsol1759(m): 7:33am On Apr 16, 2018
A lot of people don't just want anything good about this government. criticism show be constructive with solutions and not bitterness which we see all over the place in nigeria.

16 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigeria's Investment Inflows Rise To $68.5 Billion by lailo: 7:35am On Apr 16, 2018
walkers will still not agree. They prefer bad news.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria's Investment Inflows Rise To $68.5 Billion by Butterflyleo: 7:35am On Apr 16, 2018
rusher14:

Don't mind those people.

Haven't you noticed they've gone into negative overdrive the last few days?

No matter the focus of the thread, they find something negative to say.

I dey tell you. grin cheesy

I guess this government is getting some things right. Their policies aided the increase in inflow investment and helped get us out of recession despite the low oil prices. Good one.

We should learn to appreciate good when we see it and not always looking for the negative to latch on to even when there are none

17 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigeria's Investment Inflows Rise To $68.5 Billion by AFONJAPIG(m): 7:37am On Apr 16, 2018
paper and internet investment hahahahaha grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria's Investment Inflows Rise To $68.5 Billion by Nobody: 7:39am On Apr 16, 2018
kingsol1759:
A lot of people don't just want anything good about this government. criticism show be constructive with solutions and not bitterness which we see all over the place in nigeria.

Nigerians want results, they don't need quotation of billions billions, looters list, they need to see projects that this government have done.

No be by mouth action

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria's Investment Inflows Rise To $68.5 Billion by ZarahBuhari: 7:40am On Apr 16, 2018
kingsol1759:
Without criticism the government won't situp

This government needs criticism even more because...

This government failed woefully to live up to our expectations.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria's Investment Inflows Rise To $68.5 Billion by Butterflyleo: 7:42am On Apr 16, 2018
AFONJAPIG:
paper and internet investment hahahahaha grin

Its called analysis based on available data. Something which every government in the world uses to TAKE STOCK of the effect of their policies in order to aid tweaking or outright reversal.

And yes a lot of investment can be on paper as an MOU and that in turn gives a positive feedback to the economy and boosts the confidence of other investors who then put in a lot more money into their old investments or into new investments.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria's Investment Inflows Rise To $68.5 Billion by Butterflyleo: 7:43am On Apr 16, 2018
PrecisionFx:

Nigerians want results, they don't need quotation of billions billions, looters list, they need to see projects that this government have done.

No be by mouth action

Only the blind will not see or those who deliberately use their big negative mouths to cover their eyes

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria's Investment Inflows Rise To $68.5 Billion by Modarun(m): 7:43am On Apr 16, 2018
NOC1:

Pls can you be TRUTHful and give us the list of the companies that left and they ones that are about to live. While doing that quietly back it up with a verifiable source.
Thank you and have a TRUTHful week ahead.

you guys are just full of poo. what was the percentage of inflow before when compared to now? It was $20plus Billion, then the dullard took over and everything went south, now its picking but not yet at the level it was and you guys wants us to celebrate?
APC supporters be like "oh rice is now 10k a bag o"
You are surprised and quickly ask "where" so you can go and buy one.
APC Zombie replies: "if you take flight to Kano, travel by bus to Gombe, take truck ride to Biliri village then cross the river to shanko, there is an Alhaji at the shanko Market who sells rice at 10k per bag"
mtchew clowns.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria's Investment Inflows Rise To $68.5 Billion by Nobody: 7:45am On Apr 16, 2018
NaijaFutbol:

2013, GEJ, $20.83bn

2014, GEJ, $20.76bn

2015, PMB, $9.65bn

2016, PMB, $7.1bn

2017, PMB, $12.2bn

Thatsall

They will soon be telling us these results are their own dividends of democracy. Bounce of liars

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria's Investment Inflows Rise To $68.5 Billion by Butterflyleo: 7:46am On Apr 16, 2018
ZarahBuhari:

Without criticism the government won't situp

This government needs criticism even more because...

This government failed woefully to live up to our expectations.

The government did not fail. The government is trying to salvage the mess they met despite working with very low oil prices yet were able to achieve a lot and cushion the citizens from the worst of the recession.

Its works in progress and from the growth pointers available I am confident to cast my vote this time for buhari despite not doing so the first time.

He has impressed me.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria's Investment Inflows Rise To $68.5 Billion by Ikwokrikwo: 7:46am On Apr 16, 2018
From 2013?

Lol

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria's Investment Inflows Rise To $68.5 Billion by Nobody: 7:47am On Apr 16, 2018
Butterflyleo:

I dey tell you. grin cheesy

I guess this government is getting some things right. Their policies aided the increase in inflow investment and helped get us out of recession despite the low oil prices. Good one.

We should learn to appreciate good when we see it and not always looking for the negative to latch on to even when there are none

""I guess this government""

So ur guessing.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria's Investment Inflows Rise To $68.5 Billion by Butterflyleo: 7:48am On Apr 16, 2018
NaijaFutbol:

2013, GEJ, $20.83bn

2014, GEJ, $20.76bn

2015, PMB, $9.65bn

2016, PMB, $7.1bn

2017, PMB, $12.2bn

Thatsall

This is grossly wrong information. Why are you happy deliberately giving misleading information.

The glut experienced during buharis time from 2015 was due to the global recession occasioned by the huge drops in oil prices and this continued until fresh policies began to yield dividends of growth and this showed in 2017.

Stop being a liar.

Despite these figures he has been able to grow the foreign reserve very fast. Something the previous government drained despite their alleged gains

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria's Investment Inflows Rise To $68.5 Billion by Nobody: 7:49am On Apr 16, 2018
Butterflyleo:

The government did not fail. The government is trying to salvage the mess they met despite working with very low oil prices yet were able to achieve a lot and cushion the citizens from the worst of the recession.

Its works in progress and from the growth pointers available I am confident to cast my vote this time for buhari despite not doing so the first time.

He has impressed me.

Keep fooling ur self in public.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Investment Inflows Rise To $68.5 Billion by NOC1(m): 7:50am On Apr 16, 2018
Modarun:

you guys are just full of poo. what was the percentage of inflow before when compared to now? It was $20plus Billion, then the dullard took over and everything went south, now its picking but not yet at the level it was and you guys wants us to celebrate?
APC supporters be like "oh rice is now 10k a bag o"
You are surprised and quickly ask "where" so you can go and buy one.
APC Zombie replies: "if you take flight to Kano, travel by bus to Gombe, take truck ride to Biliri village then cross the river to shanko, there is an Alhaji at the shanko Market who sells rice at 10k per bag"
mtchew clowns.

My brother someone said something and I questioned the authenticity of the comment, do you want we to go and make a fool of myself outside?
My brother nobody is fighting with you.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria's Investment Inflows Rise To $68.5 Billion by ZarahBuhari: 7:51am On Apr 16, 2018
[s]
Butterflyleo:

He has impressed me.
[/s]

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Investment Inflows Rise To $68.5 Billion by Butterflyleo: 7:51am On Apr 16, 2018
PrecisionFx:

Keep fooling ur self in public.

Not everyone can be a child of hate and bitter like some of you are.

I see good and I appreciate it. By my observation, he has done well. In fact it was due to Buhari I became a farmer and I am currently doing extremely well with my piggery and will diversify soon

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigeria's Investment Inflows Rise To $68.5 Billion by tflourish9: 7:53am On Apr 16, 2018
slightlyMad:
I like how every government of the day at last minutes get the national bereau of statistics to reel out unverifiable figures of economic growth in a futile bid to hang on to power.

Buhari, you are going back to daura to continue herding your cattle.
. When the same National Bureau of Statistics was reeling out negative stats under the same govt,nobody had an issue with the Bureau,but now that they have positives to share,suddenly it's the government that is influencing them.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria's Investment Inflows Rise To $68.5 Billion by 400billionman: 7:54am On Apr 16, 2018
tongue From 20 Billion dollars in 2014 down to 5 billion dollars in 2016. So it is not PDP that destroyed our economy? No wonder.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Loan Apps And Harassments - What You Should Do / Jim Ovia Expresses Optimism For More Investments In Nigerian Economy / Nirsal Microfinance Bank Celebrates 3rd Year Anniversary

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.