Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,519 members, 7,808,895 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:54 PM

Has Anyone Ever Thought Of Android Phones As Useless Devices? - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Has Anyone Ever Thought Of Android Phones As Useless Devices? (843 Views)

Infinix Sets To Sell Phones As Low As N100 Black Friday Sales / Is Samsung Shipping Refurbished Phones As New Ones? / Is There Any Other Phone As Useless As Windows Phone (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Has Anyone Ever Thought Of Android Phones As Useless Devices? by Nobody: 5:31pm On Apr 16, 2018
android realeases os versions more frequently than windows does in the name of advancement of technology and new features yet windows (laptop) is more productive.
some "flagship" android phones cost three times more than some 15 inch laptops cost but the people who buy them barely use a quarter of the features they offer before they throw them away for another.
i am not completely condemning adroid phones. i am jst saying that i think they are overrated.
do you think i'm right?
Re: Has Anyone Ever Thought Of Android Phones As Useless Devices? by adeniyilamlek(m): 5:46pm On Apr 16, 2018

Re: Has Anyone Ever Thought Of Android Phones As Useless Devices? by khalhokage(m): 8:31pm On Apr 16, 2018
Subjectivity Mr. man.

Just because they're not productive to your use case doesn't mean they're useless to everyone, some people have dumped their laptops for smartphones because they no longer need them(laptops).

Also why do you specify Android, what about IOS?

2 Likes

Re: Has Anyone Ever Thought Of Android Phones As Useless Devices? by Nobody: 8:35pm On Apr 16, 2018
khalhokage:
Subjectivity Mr. man.

Just because they're not productive to your use case doesn't mean they're useless to everyone, some people have dumped their laptops for smartphones because they no longer need them(laptops).

ios is bae
Re: Has Anyone Ever Thought Of Android Phones As Useless Devices? by khalhokage(m): 8:42pm On Apr 16, 2018
stupidity:
ios is bae

I hear, I don't want to get into the stupid iOS vs Android argument, bottom line is that whatever productivity problems android has iOS has them too or worse.

4 Likes

Re: Has Anyone Ever Thought Of Android Phones As Useless Devices? by Nobody: 11:23am On Apr 17, 2018
khalhokage:
Subjectivity Mr. man.

that was whay i said that i am not condemning android completely. i use an android phone, too. and speaking of iOS. i forgot to add it to the original post as a category of smartphones.
Re: Has Anyone Ever Thought Of Android Phones As Useless Devices? by Nobody: 3:19pm On Apr 17, 2018
comradechekov:
android realeases os versions more frequently than windows does in the name of advancement of technology and new features yet windows (laptop) is more productive.
some "flagship" android phones cost three times more than some 15 inch laptops cost but the people who buy them barely use a quarter of the features they offer before they throw them away for another.
i am not completely condemning adroid phones. i am jst saying that i think they are overrated.
do you think i'm right?

It's very simple. Why not put ur Windows laptop in ur pocket and carry it wherever u go. Use it to take pictures, WhatsApp and make calls. Problem solved.

2 Likes

Re: Has Anyone Ever Thought Of Android Phones As Useless Devices? by Marvel1206: 6:17pm On Apr 17, 2018
khalhokage:

I hear, I don't want to get into the stupid iOS vs Android argument, bottom line is that whatever productivity problems android has iOS has them too or worse.
No mind am. He should have just talked about overpriced smartphones with their functions not on par with some laptops that cost less
Re: Has Anyone Ever Thought Of Android Phones As Useless Devices? by Nobody: 2:50pm On Apr 18, 2018
greenhulk:

It's very simple. Why not put ur Windows laptop in ur pocket and carry it wherever u go. Use it to take pictures, WhatsApp and make calls. Problem solved.
You got me there. But what i'm trying to say is android phones are useful but they are overhyped! when was the last time you used the nfc in your phone (if it has one)
when was the last time you used the hall sensor in your phone (if it has one)
when was the last time you used the gyroscope in your phone (if it has one)
when was the last time you used the electronic compass in your phone (if it has one)
when was the last time you willingly used the accelerometer in your phone because you wanted to achieve a particular view (even though all android phones have one) et cetera.
if not for uber would you have used the gps functionality in your phone at all till date?

I was stopped by a woman in a car about a week ago. she wanted me to tell her where a particular street was (i currently live in lagos). I told her i did not know and that she should try google maps (since i use it some times and i works). a man which i think was her husband was with her in the car at the time. they both sighed with what seemed like a relief and the man reached for his android phone. that was when i walked away from them. So do you get what I'm saying now? I am not condemning android even though the title of my post might portray otherwise (my bad).
I guess i should have just said "why do we buy phones with features that we will never use? features that make them expensive."

Android phones are cool. I have one and i love it. but i'm just trying to say that that octa core phone you (not really you) bought because it is octa core does not actually use more than 2 to 4 of its cores. the os may use all of the cores while its performing its own core tasks but apps third party apps rarely target more than four for compatibility's sake.
Re: Has Anyone Ever Thought Of Android Phones As Useless Devices? by Nobody: 3:20pm On Apr 18, 2018
comradechekov:

You got me there. But what i'm trying to say is android phones are useful but they are overhyped! when was the last time you used the nfc in your phone (if it has one)
when was the last time you used the hall sensor in your phone (if it has one)
when was the last time you used the gyroscope in your phone (if it has one)
when was the last time you used the electronic compass in your phone (if it has one)
when was the last time you willingly used the accelerometer in your phone because you wanted to achieve a particular view (even though all android phones have one) et cetera.
if not for uber would you have used the gps functionality in your phone at all till date?

I was stopped by a woman in a car about a week ago. she wanted me to tell her where a particular street was (i currently live in lagos). I told her i did not know and that she should try google maps (since i use it some times and i works). a man which i think was her husband was with her in the car at the time. they both sighed with what seemed like a relief and the man reached for his android phone. that was when i walked away from them. So do you get what I'm saying now? I am not condemning android even though the title of my post might portray otherwise (my bad).
I guess i should have just said "why do we buy phones with features that we will never use? features that make them expensive."

Android phones are cool. I have one and i love it. but i'm just trying to say that that octa core phone you (not really you) bought because it is octa core does not actually use more than 2 to 4 of its cores. the os may use all of the cores while its performing its own core tasks but apps third party apps rarely target more than four for compatibility's sake.

when was the last time you used the nfc in your phone (if it has one) : Agreed I seldom use my phone's NFC, but I still use it once in a while when I want to pair my bluetooth speaker. But because u don't use it doesn't mean others don't use it. Samsung pay, Android pay are used in many parts of the world, if a phone doesn't have NFC how do u think the service can implemented? So Samsung and co should remove NFC from their phones just because people in Nigeria don't use it.

when was the last time you used the hall sensor in your phone (if it has one) : I don't know what u mean by hall sensor

when was the last time you used the gyroscope in your phone (if it has one) : I use this all the time when using VR with my phone. Without gyroscope ur phone cannot work with VR headset.

when was the last time you willingly used the accelerometer in your phone because you wanted to achieve a particular view (even though all android phones have one) : Are u for real? So why do ur phone go into landscape mode when watching a movie? I can't even imagine a phone without accelerometer, I watch youtube everyday and my accelerometer comes to play when i rotate my phone into landscape.

if not for uber would you have used the gps functionality in your phone at all till date? : Lol, this got me laughing. I guess u have never used the maps on ur phone. I use Google maps and Sygic at least 2 times a week driving to some places I don't know allover Lagos and even when I travel long distance. You still think GPS is a useless feature? Bro kukuma no use smart phone, u can buy a nokia 3310, it doesn't have any of these features.

1 Like

Re: Has Anyone Ever Thought Of Android Phones As Useless Devices? by Nobody: 3:39pm On Apr 18, 2018
greenhulk:

when was the last time you used the nfc in your phone (if it has one) : Agreed I seldom use my phone's NFC, but I still use it once in a while when I want to pair my bluetooth speaker. But because u don't use it doesn't mean others don't use it. Samsung pay, Android pay are used in many parts of the world, if a phone doesn't have NFC how do u think the service can implemented? So Samsung and co should remove NFC from their phones just because people in Nigeria don't use it.

when was the last time you used the hall sensor in your phone (if it has one) : I don't know what u mean by hall sensor

when was the last time you used the gyroscope in your phone (if it has one) : I use this all the time when using VR with my phone. Without gyroscope ur phone cannot work with VR headset.

when was the last time you willingly used the accelerometer in your phone because you wanted to achieve a particular view (even though all android phones have one) : Are u for real? So why do ur phone go into landscape mode when watching a movie? I can't even imagine a phone without accelerometer, I watch youtube everyday and my accelerometer comes to play when i rotate my phone into landscape.

if not for uber would you have used the gps functionality in your phone at all till date? : Lol, this got me laughing. I guess u have never used the maps on ur phone. I use Google maps and Sygic at least 2 times a week driving to some places I don't know allover Lagos and even when I travel long distance. You still think GPS is a useless feature? Bro kukuma no use smart phone, u can buy a nokia 3310, it doesn't have any of these features.
talking about uber and gps, did you finish reading the post you quoted at all?
Re: Has Anyone Ever Thought Of Android Phones As Useless Devices? by Nobody: 4:09pm On Apr 18, 2018
comradechekov:

talking about uber and gps, did you finish reading the post you quoted at all?

Yes I finished reading it, I decided to answer the questions u asked me. Like I said, u cannot ask smartphone makers to rid phones of some functionality just because u feel they are not useful to u. They are useful to others, if u don't want a feature in a phone then u can buy phones that don't have those features. Problem solved.

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Please Suggest For Me / It's Going Down Live At The Armani Hotel, Dubai. Launch Of The Infinix Note 5 / New Iphone X 64G/6G Ram For Sale At A Cheaper Price

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.