Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,409 members, 7,808,456 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:10 PM

Is Banana Fattening? - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Is Banana Fattening? (12781 Views)

Is Banana Very Good Early In The Morning? / Is Oatmeal Fattening? / Is Vegetable Fattening? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Banana Fattening? by crazyp(f): 2:47pm On Mar 14, 2007
Hello Everyone

I luv bananas a lot but recently someone told me its fattening & though i doubt it,
i still need to know if its true, pls i nd ur responses.

i've stopped eating that for now sad
Re: Is Banana Fattening? by Free(f): 10:00pm On Mar 14, 2007

i dnt think is fattenin

is a damn fruit grin grin grin
Re: Is Banana Fattening? by Seun(m): 9:04am On Mar 15, 2007
No, it is not. How can people be so wicked as to invent such a ridiculous idea?
Re: Is Banana Fattening? by Angelheart: 10:23am On Mar 15, 2007
Too much of anything is never good.

Banana is not fattening. It is just too starch and should not be taken in large quantities.
Re: Is Banana Fattening? by cuteass1(f): 1:30pm On Mar 15, 2007
Banana is not fattening BUT if you're on a diet program you'll be asked to take as little banana as possible, and this is based on its starchy quality like Angelheart said

Its not like fruits like apples, oranges and others that are meant to be eaten when you want to loose some weight

Banana is not fattening but not very slimming as some other fruits wink

And i also know its advised to eat banana after you've been to the gym, this is to make you regain lost nutrients

so i guess its all good cheesy
Re: Is Banana Fattening? by kebab(f): 10:22am On Mar 27, 2007
Well, any food eaten in excess of body requirements for that nutrient can be fattening. Banana is a fruit but it also contains carbohydrates. The metabolism of food determines what can become fattening and it goes thus:

Carbohydarates are broken down by the digestive system to glycogen, which is needed for brain functioning. for fuel for maintenance of body function or for storage. In the active state, this glycogen is immediately utilized for fuel or energy and also for brain functioning. Some of it is stored in the liver and muscle tisssue as storage. Now the body needs only a certain amount of carbohydrate daily so it will make use of this amount for these needs. The body does not excrete excess carbohydrates and so the remainder is converted to triglycerides, which are then stored in adipose tissue, around the stomach, buttocks, arms, etc.
Re: Is Banana Fattening? by kebab(f): 10:29am On Mar 27, 2007
The same process occurs in the fed and resting state. However, more of the intake tends to be converted to the storage form, that is the triglycerides or fat, which then contributes to weight gain.
Re: Is Banana Fattening? by kebab(f): 10:38am On Mar 27, 2007
That is why nutritionist always advise people not to eat late because we are often inactive at that time and more of the food being eaten are being converted to the storage in adipose or fatty tissue.

To prevent weight gain, the key is not to avoid a particular type of food but to moderate your intake. if you have been eaten a whole bunch of bananas, take only one or two at most, diversify your daily diet to include all the food groups ( milk/yoghurt/dairy group, starch group, meat/ fish/egg group, fruits group, fat group, and water). and most importantly do 30 minutes of exercise daily.
Re: Is Banana Fattening? by TOYOSI20(f): 2:35am On Oct 25, 2008
It isn't. . . . .very rich in potassium tho. . . . . . . smiley
Re: Is Banana Fattening? by Moneypool: 1:56am On Oct 31, 2008
From my research banana is not fattening, it even advisable to eat them for balanced level of sugar in the blood.
Re: Is Banana Fattening? by Ehikoyia: 12:07am On Nov 03, 2008
Banana is very medicinal. It boosts energy, it makes the brain to be alert. it's not fattening as proposed.It can prevent stroke. It reduces the blood pressure.Banana is good.
Re: Is Banana Fattening? by inze(m): 5:13pm On Nov 11, 2008
what about its addictive to sugar level !!!
Re: Is Banana Fattening? by LoveAlways(f): 3:43am On Nov 21, 2008
No, not at all. Bananas are good for you. Try to eat one everyday. smiley
Re: Is Banana Fattening? by GoldCircle: 11:02pm On Nov 21, 2008
I love bananas o! I hear they are particularly good for "active' men! wink wink
Re: Is Banana Fattening? by freezze(m): 5:33am On Nov 24, 2008
No, not at all. Bananas are good for you. Try to eat one everyday. cool grin smiley

(1) (Reply)

Have You Had Severe Side Effects From Camoquin (pfizer)? / Aboniki Balm Secret Benefits - Blasts Belly Fat & Boosts Hair Growth / Do You Look Better With Age?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.