Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,377 members, 7,808,336 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:28 AM

Medicine And Surgery: Is It Worth The Attention It Gets? - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Medicine And Surgery: Is It Worth The Attention It Gets? (32458 Views)

Is Medicine And Surgery Worth All The Admission Stress? / Can An Average Student Study Medicine And Surgery? / OAU Medicine And Surgery Cut-off Mark 304 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Medicine And Surgery: Is It Worth The Attention It Gets? by BiafranDel: 10:00pm On Apr 19, 2018
tensazangetsu20:

Everything here is very true. Medicine is the worst course anyone can study. Very stupid useless profession especially in Nigeria. Very poor pay, bullying in the profession, useless extremely difficult exams you have to write, insane working hours all for what. My mom is a medical doctor and I would never wish the same on an enemy.
shut up. you sound like someone whose mom is an illiterate. doctors have shift. this is to show your mom aint no doctor. doctors are not your problem. face your own career.

1 Like

Re: Medicine And Surgery: Is It Worth The Attention It Gets? by billyG(m): 10:04pm On Apr 19, 2018
My obsession for Medicine was cut short b/c i cant stand odours & blood,but i read medical books,like Last anatomy,gray anatomy,physiology & books on embryology & hav visited anat lab to satisfy my curiocity. cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Medicine And Surgery: Is It Worth The Attention It Gets? by BiafranDel: 10:05pm On Apr 19, 2018
ttyl02:
This is a very informative thread..Medicine and surgery is overhyped There are lot of things about the profession that are not clear to people but their eyes become clearer once they start working..I don't even envy them one bit.Secondary school students should be wel-oriented on career before they write jamb.Every science student wants to study MBBS..
all your senseless post just shows emotional hatred. you applied for medicine but got thrown into a meaningless course, is that a reason why you have to hate on the more fortunate ones. study what you want and face your life. doctors are the not the architect of the miserable kind of lives of your type. hatred and disgust for those doing better than you can take you no where in life
Re: Medicine And Surgery: Is It Worth The Attention It Gets? by Nobody: 10:08pm On Apr 19, 2018
Basic123:
ha ha

This is ignorance at it's peak! grin

what you said up there na big lie
my aunts had to go back to college to study medicine and surgery all over again in the US, I don't know about the UK tho, am just saying
Re: Medicine And Surgery: Is It Worth The Attention It Gets? by BiafranDel: 10:10pm On Apr 19, 2018
Adejoncy01:
And This Medicine Of A Thing Is Not Among The Courses With High Pay In Nigeria, Not Even Globally!
medicine not among the highest paid professions in nigeria? smh. illiterate. did you even go to school. am not sure you have actually seen the four walls of a university talk more of knowing anything about education and career in nigeria
Re: Medicine And Surgery: Is It Worth The Attention It Gets? by Stallion93(m): 10:12pm On Apr 19, 2018
BiafranDel:
you are hating for no reason. am sure you studied a meaningless course in school and now you are just trying to feel good about your certificate that wont fetch you any meaningful job in life. face your life. somebody else's career is not your business. medicine don cast, shey na you cast am. mr career guide analyst
Quite sure your mother gave birth to you through the anus in a Village latrine

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Medicine And Surgery: Is It Worth The Attention It Gets? by DavidEsq(m): 10:28pm On Apr 19, 2018
cassidy1996:
medicine and surgery na hot cake for Niger, just tell any girl that you're a doctor, she go smile....

and once a girl is dating a medical doctor

next..... she will alert her family, friends and social media.... medical doctor on the way, make una clear road... levels don change

Re: Medicine And Surgery: Is It Worth The Attention It Gets? by Nobody: 10:29pm On Apr 19, 2018
Stallion93:
This is why Medicine will be difficult for you to get and study. Accept constructive criticisms. Be civil in your arguments. Why the need to insult his mother?

2 Likes

Re: Medicine And Surgery: Is It Worth The Attention It Gets? by MrEgghead(m): 10:31pm On Apr 19, 2018
In as much the op' is right in some aspects, there are still some areas to be redressed . The profession of medicine is an adored and respected one anywhere in the world.I think the pays and work environment brouhaha is more peculiar to the Nigeria setting.The decadence in our economic system has affected every profession not only medicine, so the idea of study other courses aside medicine is null and void; barring the ease of getting admission.
Someone mentioned Guidance counselling as a tool to reorientate the inexperienced students but how many will yield to advices at the end of the day?
Nigerians like trying out things before succumbing.
Also, no profession should be studied because of its lucrativeness or whatsoever; It's a bad idea. Invariably, people marrying for beauty alone is destructive and preposterous.
People should understand there's a big difference between a business and a profession; This is where Some Nigerians get it wrong.
A business is driven by the monetary values while a profession is geared by the passion and zeal to cope with whatever it throws at you.
I stand to be corrected, almost every profession is Nigeria is demanding and energy sapping but business can be conducted anyday anytime without much stress and upheaval.
I'd rather the op encourage those in the profession to acquire assests and set up private businesses rather than denigrating and debauching the profession.
However, the basis of picking a profession should be passion- driven ,and not monetary wise. It's the passion that keeps one moving in the face of challenges and intimidations.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Medicine And Surgery: Is It Worth The Attention It Gets? by BiafranDel: 10:33pm On Apr 19, 2018
AlphaT1:

I refused to apply for medicine in my JAMB against my dad's wish, it wasn't an easy battle but eventually I won and when I showed him my acct balance just after NYSC, he had to apologize and admit that he was wrong to try to force me into what wasn't my interest. Interestingly almost all my guys who went for MBBS are now consultants or senior registrars (we were intelligent boys and girls) and they are all my 'boys' 'for account balance level'.
rubbish. abeg go sidown jare. which money do you have. do you need to compare your finance level to those of your friends on social media.
Re: Medicine And Surgery: Is It Worth The Attention It Gets? by pxjosh(m): 10:36pm On Apr 19, 2018
msughdoo:
Pharmacy is worse. They earn far less than doctors in hospitals, and only a few find jobs there. Most are mere chemist owners (if they can afford to start chemist shops) or they work for uneducated chemist owners. How many pharmaceutical industries do we have in Nigeria and how many pharmacists work there?

OKAY grin
Re: Medicine And Surgery: Is It Worth The Attention It Gets? by BiafranDel: 10:40pm On Apr 19, 2018
Stallion93:
lol i even thought the idiot critizing a doctor's career is an intellect. you dont even sound like an educated and you have the stupid effontery to critize doctors

1 Like

Re: Medicine And Surgery: Is It Worth The Attention It Gets? by Germanpoison1: 10:40pm On Apr 19, 2018
Op your post would have made a little more sense if you didn't make that tribalistic statement about Igbos in it, but I will leave that issue for another day because that is not why I am here. However, your post is full of sentiments and sounds as though you are one of those that could't achieve their life long ambition of being a medical doctor.I understand exactly how you feel. But, I want to let you know that whichever way you want to see it, medicine is, and, still remains a noble profession all over the world and the services of a doctor can't be quantified in terms of naira and kobo. There are so many wealthy doctors in Nigeria that rake in millions of naira every month but they don't make noise about it, somehow, an average doctor doesn't have this show off mentality because of the nature of the training he has received, they hardly even have time for that. Funny enough if you @ op or your relative goes to the hospital today and the doctor demands for a huge sum of money from you in order to be rich and live up to expectation you will still run to nairaland to open a thread and start cursing Nigerian doctors that they are too greedy. Things are generally hard in Nigeria, its not peculiar to doctors, in saner climes those guys are real big guys so don't judge with Nigeria. I find it difficult to understand how people abuse doctors in Nigeria especially in social media but when they fall sick they still run to meet them, including those that have studied medicine and surgery in the University of Google. You can always be a doctor if you want to be one but if you don't want to, please face what you are doing, be happy there , and let the doctor deal with his own wahala. It takes a lot to become and still remain a doctor in Nigeria......SHALOM.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Medicine And Surgery: Is It Worth The Attention It Gets? by Basic123: 11:39pm On Apr 19, 2018
Tochyodiks:
my aunts had to go back to college to study medicine and surgery all over again in the US, I don't know about the UK tho, am just saying
which university did your sister attend?
Re: Medicine And Surgery: Is It Worth The Attention It Gets? by steveDpro: 11:49pm On Apr 19, 2018
embarassed lipsrsealed
Re: Medicine And Surgery: Is It Worth The Attention It Gets? by Nobody: 11:53pm On Apr 19, 2018
Basic123:

which university did your sister attend?
UNN and ABSU
Re: Medicine And Surgery: Is It Worth The Attention It Gets? by Basic123: 11:57pm On Apr 19, 2018
Tochyodiks:
UNN and ABSU
what your sister did was a tutorial for USA medical licencing exam USMLE.

abroad trained doctor that wish to practice in Nigeria also prepare and sit for the same exam in Nigeria NMLE

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Medicine And Surgery: Is It Worth The Attention It Gets? by IYANGBALI: 12:56am On Apr 20, 2018
Someone told me that lalasticlala is a doctor(doctor of wristwatches), he repairs wristwatches
Re: Medicine And Surgery: Is It Worth The Attention It Gets? by sogodihno: 1:32am On Apr 20, 2018
msughdoo:
Pharmacy is worse. They earn far less than doctors in hospitals, and only a few find jobs there. Most are mere chemist owners (if they can afford to start chemist shops) or they work for uneducated chemist owners. How many pharmaceutical industries do we have in Nigeria and how many pharmacists work there?

can u stop saying nonsense pls, if u don't know something u ask, u think pharmacist are restricted to hospitals like doctors are?

Chemist and pharmacy? u are comparing the two, Go out tomorrow and see big pharmacy outlets( that's if you live in area where there are Pharm outlet anyway), and the point is the average pharmacy av seen is way more bigger than average chemist, and the very big ones(chemist) are manage by a pharmacist, that's if the owner can afford to pay the pharmacist.

And those u called mere chemist make more money than u can ever imagine(I work in a pharmacy so I know what am saying).

And u are asking how many pharmaceutical industries we have in Nigeria, those few ones, it's carpenter that are working there now, and for your information we have limited accredited pharmacy school in Nigeria, fewer than medical school, so the supply is is not too much.

And pharmacy is a business in Nigeria if u don't know, where u make cool cash. it's also the only profession where ur certificate can be working for u, without u doing anything(a person can use your license to open a pharmacy and u av your monthly pay ranging from 120k and above depending on the location and agreement with the person) and you can also be doing government work with it( thou not legal).

if their is any course in Nigeria now that have hope of job security and self dependency with comfortable pay, it's pharmacy.

Pls, be informed. if you know, you know

4 Likes

Re: Medicine And Surgery: Is It Worth The Attention It Gets? by Kingjags: 1:37am On Apr 20, 2018
Montez90:
how about the ones in high court?
how many people they high Court?
Re: Medicine And Surgery: Is It Worth The Attention It Gets? by famosh: 2:01am On Apr 20, 2018
BiafranDel:
shut up. you sound like someone whose mom is an illiterate. doctors have shift. this is to show your mom aint no doctor. doctors are not your problem. face your own career.

No mind the guy! The guy no know say you sabi him mama profession pass he himself! Na you na!
Re: Medicine And Surgery: Is It Worth The Attention It Gets? by Originalsly: 3:17am On Apr 20, 2018
yassinattah:

U comments above portrays a bit of hate,anger and bitterness towards the medical profession.

Not at all.... my family is deep in the medical profession...used to be deep into teaching....not a bit of hate.or anger or bitterness.
Re: Medicine And Surgery: Is It Worth The Attention It Gets? by Uniqueempress(f): 4:08am On Apr 20, 2018
pxjosh:
OKAY grin

lmao,I like your response, just leave am��..we don't need to brag.
Re: Medicine And Surgery: Is It Worth The Attention It Gets? by Homechecks1: 6:11am On Apr 20, 2018
Owomkpo:
Medicine is tiring and boring.
The system will always find a way to bring you down.
Can you imagine that some of us have been in school since 2011 without repeating ohh.
Doing final year for 1 full year coupled with toxic consultants that don't just want you to progress.

After all this, you finish and have to wait close to 1 year for house job and all the other shit.
The society keeps placing much responsibilities on you.

You have truly seen something brother.. Tell us more!

It is not to discourage prospective med surg students though, we just have to tell you guys that you must have a life plan as you are coming into med school - as for me, I lost my passion about the thing since year 1 sef. Make I just gradge go reason wetin I go do with my life.

Medicine in Nigeria is shit - except you know what you are doing and enjoying it too.
Re: Medicine And Surgery: Is It Worth The Attention It Gets? by Homechecks1: 6:12am On Apr 20, 2018
Owomkpo:
Medicine is tiring and boring.
The system will always find a way to bring you down.
Can you imagine that some of us have been in school since 2011 without repeating ohh.
Doing final year for 1 full year coupled with toxic consultants that don't just want you to progress.

After all this, you finish and have to wait close to 1 year for house job and all the other shit.
The society keeps placing much responsibilities on you.

You have truly seen something brother.. Tell us more!

It is not to discourage prospective med surg students though, we just have to tell you guys that you must have a life plan as you are coming into med school - as for me, I lost my passion about the thing since year 1 sef. Make I just gradge go reason wetin I go do with my life.

Medicine in Nigeria is shit - except you know what you are doing and enjoying it too.
embarassed
Re: Medicine And Surgery: Is It Worth The Attention It Gets? by Adejoncy01(m): 6:54am On Apr 20, 2018
BiafranDel:
medicine not among the highest paid professions in nigeria? smh. illiterate. did you even go to school. am not sure you have actually seen the four walls of a university talk more of knowing anything about education and career in nigeria
I Have Better Things Doing Than Replying Your Comment.
Re: Medicine And Surgery: Is It Worth The Attention It Gets? by AlphaT1(m): 6:58am On Apr 20, 2018
BiafranDel:
rubbish. abeg go sidown jare. which money do you have. do you need to compare your finance level to those of your friends on social media.
Why e come d pain you pass na? Oya go take panadol take cool down d pain....eyaaa sorry ehn.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Medicine And Surgery: Is It Worth The Attention It Gets? by SKYKEN001: 7:46am On Apr 20, 2018
streamsofjoy:

I put it to u that law is not worst lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
I put it to you that your are a Law Student

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Medicine And Surgery: Is It Worth The Attention It Gets? by msughdoo: 7:52am On Apr 20, 2018
I know a pharmacist who is feeding from hand to mouth. Liar.

sogodihno:

can u stop saying nonsense pls, if u don't know something u ask, u think pharmacist are restricted to hospitals like doctors are?

Chemist and pharmacy? u are comparing the two, Go out tomorrow and see big pharmacy outlets( that's if you live in area where there are Pharm outlet anyway), and the point is the average pharmacy av seen is way more bigger than average chemist, and the very big ones(chemist) are manage by a pharmacist, that's if the owner can afford to pay the pharmacist.

And those u called mere chemist make more money than u can ever imagine(I work in a pharmacy so I know what am saying).

And u are asking how many pharmaceutical industries we have in Nigeria, those few ones, it's carpenter that are working there now, and for your information we have limited accredited pharmacy school in Nigeria, fewer than medical school, so the supply is is not too much.

And pharmacy is a business in Nigeria if u don't know, where u make cool cash. it's also the only profession where ur certificate can be working for u, without u doing anything(a person can use your license to open a pharmacy and u av your monthly pay ranging from 120k and above depending on the location and agreement with the person) and you can also be doing government work with it( thou not legal).

if their is any course in Nigeria now that have hope of job security and self dependency with comfortable pay, it's pharmacy.

Pls, be informed. if you know, you know
Re: Medicine And Surgery: Is It Worth The Attention It Gets? by sogodihno: 8:08am On Apr 20, 2018
msughdoo:
I know a pharmacist who is feeding from hand to mouth. Liar.

oh! it's just one u know. I know more than 6 pharmacists personally that are living well and very comfortable.

why don't u disprove some of the points I listed, instead of Calling names?

1 Like

Re: Medicine And Surgery: Is It Worth The Attention It Gets? by Nobody: 8:38am On Apr 20, 2018
Basic123:

what your sister did was a tutorial for USA medical licencing exam USMLE.

abroad trained doctor that wish to practice in Nigeria also prepare and sit for the same exam in Nigeria NMLE
okay, thanks for the shedding light on it

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

7 Ways To Remember Everything You Read In The Exam Hall / Students Fed With N50 Bread Divided Into 4 (Video) / University Of Benin Students (undergraduate/graduate) Chatroom

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.