Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,269 members, 7,780,604 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 05:28 PM

How To Protect Your Social Media Accounts From Being Hacked - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / How To Protect Your Social Media Accounts From Being Hacked (9937 Views)

Why Do People Buy & Sell Old Social Media Accounts? / Facebook, Instagram Remove 800 Accounts From Nigeria, Egypt, UAE, Give Reasons / How To Protect Your Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & Snapchat Accounts (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Protect Your Social Media Accounts From Being Hacked by NaijaTechGuy(m): 8:39am On Apr 20, 2018
I've actually been getting calls from friends and blog readers lately that their accounts and that of their friends are being hacked. This unethical trend just skyrocketed this year. It's very annoying.

I've also gotten a mail from Facebook previously that said that someone requested to change my password.
We all know that the perpetrators of these crimes are usually internet fraudsters (g-boys) looking for old accounts that they feel Facebook cannot block when they're carrying out their fraudulent business online. In this post, I'll be using Facebook as an example but every method below applies to all social networks

One day, you may actually decide to check up on your friend on Facebook, then you'll end up seeing a white man or lady in an account that you're very certain that it was your friends account.

I've come up with a couple of ways to protect your Facebook account, please don't forget to share this to friends as well.

1. Anti-Phishing Techniques

Phishing is the easiest trick in any hackers arsenal or weaponry. All it needs is for the victim to click on a link and log with in their original details on a fake page.

If you're still logged in to Facebook and a link requests that you type in your Facebook details again, do not do that. There's a high chance your details will be stolen once you type in your details on the page. This is quite different from the pages that ask you to log in with Facebook and requests access to your account.

2. Verify and Update Your Account Details

Most people feel this is not necessary but It's very important. I woke up this morning and tried to log in to my account via a browser and I was asked to verify my identity with my number. I'm like okay that shouldn't be a problem until I saw the number I was asked to verify. A number I hadn't used in years.

I remembered that I was still logged in on the main Facebook app on my device so I quickly went to my profile > about me and deleted the old number entirely from the account.
I'm still wondering why Facebook will actually tell me to verify my identity with a number that isn't active.

The only logical explanation is that someone was messing with my account and Facebook had to lock it down till my identity was verified.

If you have an email address, make sure to add it to your account and also update your phone number as well.

Use Your Real Name On Your Account

Let's assume that the damage done to your account was extremely bad. Facebook might decide to ask you to upload an ID. If your name on Facebook is Mhiz Slay Donkey, which kind of ID do you think will unlock the account. Using your real name on Facebook has numerous advantages.

2FA Protection
Two Factor Authentication. This is the last resort but pretty much secure though. In this case, Facebook sends you a link or pin anytime you log in to your account to verify your identity.

You can then click the link or input the pin on the log in page.

The only downside of this is that you may not be able to log in to your account anytime you lose your phone number or 2FA Device.

So that's pretty much everything I think you need to know. Stay Safe.

Cc mynd44

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How To Protect Your Social Media Accounts From Being Hacked by NaijaTechGuy(m): 8:40am On Apr 20, 2018
Re: How To Protect Your Social Media Accounts From Being Hacked by clems93(m): 2:04pm On Apr 20, 2018
ONE SHOULDN'T ALSO FORGET TO LOG OUT WHEN USING PUBLIC COMPUTERS. IF YOU ARE USING A FRIEND'S DEVICE TO LOGIN, IT IS BETTER TO DO SO IN SECURE OR INGNIGO MODE

3 Likes

Re: How To Protect Your Social Media Accounts From Being Hacked by NaijaTechGuy(m): 7:37am On Apr 22, 2018
Tochyodiks:
Even at that someone can still hack your Facebook without even going through phising techniques...i currently have a script that can be used to change your password and login one hand but it needs an update.. I never share this with anyone before it gets into the wrong hands grin the only way to protect yourself is just avoid being too known on Facebook else they can search you up and book your account

I doubt that

2 Likes

Re: How To Protect Your Social Media Accounts From Being Hacked by HeWrites(m): 9:55am On Apr 22, 2018
Tochyodiks:
Even at that someone can still hack your Facebook without even going through phising techniques...i currently have a script that can be used to change your password and login one hand but it needs an update.. I never share this with anyone before it gets into the wrong hands grin the only way to protect yourself is just avoid being too known on Facebook else they can search you up and book your account

I dare you to hack my Facebook account
Re: How To Protect Your Social Media Accounts From Being Hacked by Nobody: 9:56am On Apr 22, 2018
HeWrites:

I dare you to hack my Facebook account
who get that kin time.. I hack for money

1 Like

Re: How To Protect Your Social Media Accounts From Being Hacked by NaijaTechGuy(m): 10:49pm On Apr 22, 2018
Tochyodiks:
who get that kin time.. I hack for money

Hackers are not show offs.. I can clearly see that you're a noob

4 Likes

Re: How To Protect Your Social Media Accounts From Being Hacked by Cyb3rhack3r: 7:55am On Apr 24, 2018
NaijaTechGuy:
I've actually been getting calls from friends and blog readers lately that their accounts and that of their friends are being hacked. This unethical trend just skyrocketed this year. It's very annoying.

I've also gotten a mail from Facebook previously that said that someone requested to change my password.
We all know that the perpetrators of these crimes are usually internet fraudsters (g-boys) looking for old accounts that they feel Facebook cannot block when they're carrying out their fraudulent business online. In this post, I'll be using Facebook as an example but every method below applies to all social networks

One day, you may actually decide to check up on your friend on Facebook, then you'll end up seeing a white man or lady in an account that you're very certain that it was your friends account.

I've come up with a couple of ways to protect your Facebook account, please don't forget to share this to friends as well.

Phishing is the easiest trick in any hackers arsenal or weaponry. All it needs is for the victim to click on a link and log with in their original details on a fake page.

If you're still logged in to Facebook and a link requests that you type in your Facebook details again, do not do that. There's a high chance your details will be stolen once you type in your details on the page. This is quite different from the pages that ask you to log in with Facebook and requests access to your account.

Most people feel this is not necessary but It's very important. I woke up this morning and tried to log in to my account via a browser and I was asked to verify my identity with my number. I'm like okay that shouldn't be a problem until I saw the number I was asked to verify. A number I hadn't used in years.

I remembered that I was still logged in on the main Facebook app on my device so I quickly went to my profile > about me and deleted the old number entirely from the account.
I'm still wondering why Facebook will actually tell me to verify my identity with a number that isn't active.

The only logical explanation is that someone was messing with my account and Facebook had to lock it down till my identity was verified.

If you have an email address, make sure to add it to your account and also update your phone number as well.

Let's assume that the damage done to your account was extremely bad. Facebook might decide to ask you to upload an ID. If your name on Facebook is Mhiz Slay Donkey, which kind of ID do you think will unlock the account. Using your real name on Facebook has numerous advantages.

2FA Protection
Two Factor Authentication. This is the last resort but pretty much secure though. In this case, Facebook sends you a link or pin anytime you log in to your account to verify your identity.

The only downside of this is that you may not be able to log in to your account anytime you lose your phone number or 2FA Device.

Cc mynd44

Nice one bro
Re: How To Protect Your Social Media Accounts From Being Hacked by Chuksteric(m): 12:17pm On Apr 24, 2018
Two factor protection does it for me.. Even with my details, you won't be able to login to my account and I'll be alerted

1 Like

Re: How To Protect Your Social Media Accounts From Being Hacked by Cyb3rhack3r: 7:01am On Apr 25, 2018
Chuksteric:
Two factor protection does it for me.. Even with my details, you won't be able to login to my account and I'll be alerted

That's one of the best.
Re: How To Protect Your Social Media Accounts From Being Hacked by MarkWayne89: 9:57am On Apr 25, 2018
NaijaTechGuy:

2FA Protection

Cc mynd44

This is the most important thing!
Re: How To Protect Your Social Media Accounts From Being Hacked by NaijaTechGuy(m): 7:00am On Apr 26, 2018
MarkWayne89:

This is the most important thing!
Definitely
Re: How To Protect Your Social Media Accounts From Being Hacked by Ibibioesan(m): 7:19am On Apr 26, 2018
Re: How To Protect Your Social Media Accounts From Being Hacked by DIYhackers: 7:20am On Apr 26, 2018
Thanks
Re: How To Protect Your Social Media Accounts From Being Hacked by twentyk(m): 7:21am On Apr 26, 2018
Abeg who get work make he employ me ooo....even if na message u go dey send me upandan...im frigging bored and broke.....chai

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How To Protect Your Social Media Accounts From Being Hacked by ybalogs(m): 7:23am On Apr 26, 2018
Trending!!! Why hack into another person's account to start with? Mischievous souls everywhere you go.
Re: How To Protect Your Social Media Accounts From Being Hacked by dominique(f): 7:26am On Apr 26, 2018
Also beware of those click-bait sites, they will prompt you to login to Facebook to view the raunchy photos. This is why it is very important to check the address bar before login into any social media link.
Re: How To Protect Your Social Media Accounts From Being Hacked by begwong: 7:31am On Apr 26, 2018
[quote author=DIYhackers [/quote]
As per a hacker, what more can you input to this thread based on your moniker? ✔
Re: How To Protect Your Social Media Accounts From Being Hacked by Younghacka(m): 7:33am On Apr 26, 2018
[color=#990000][/color][b][/b]
Wicked People Everywhere In The World.
Re: How To Protect Your Social Media Accounts From Being Hacked by lonelydora: 7:36am On Apr 26, 2018
clems93:
ONE SHOULDN'T ALSO FORGET TO LOG OUT WHEN USING PUBLIC COMPUTERS. IF YOU ARE USING A FRIEND'S DEVICE TO LOGIN, IT IS BETTER TO DO SO IN SECURE OR INGNIGO MODE

Log out amd clear history including saved passwords and cached

1 Like

Re: How To Protect Your Social Media Accounts From Being Hacked by CyberEBOLA(m): 7:44am On Apr 26, 2018
What if your facebook account was requested at gunpoint, and threatened never to try get it back?
Re: How To Protect Your Social Media Accounts From Being Hacked by Doerstech(m): 7:49am On Apr 26, 2018
Good Points
Re: How To Protect Your Social Media Accounts From Being Hacked by maxiuc(m): 7:57am On Apr 26, 2018
cheesy

This two fools hacked my Facebook account

Deleted all my pictures

Changed my details

But thanks to Google chrome and my Real name which I used to register

If you have Prosper Chikezie as friend on Facebook remove And block that idiot

I have his email address and phone number

2 Likes

Re: How To Protect Your Social Media Accounts From Being Hacked by DIYhackers: 8:07am On Apr 26, 2018
[quote author=begwong post=67038117][/quote]Anything is hackable! Your diligence makes it difficult or easy. BTW, I'm a white angel.
Re: How To Protect Your Social Media Accounts From Being Hacked by Offpoint: 8:08am On Apr 26, 2018
You can't stop a desperate hacker from hacking you, you can only make it more difficult for him......

that's the hacker anthem no 5...
N01. nothing is unhackable

3 Likes

Re: How To Protect Your Social Media Accounts From Being Hacked by GrammarNazi1(m): 8:53am On Apr 26, 2018
NaijaTechGuy:

2FA Protection

Cc mynd44
...those...
Re: How To Protect Your Social Media Accounts From Being Hacked by ayaomen(f): 9:06am On Apr 26, 2018
Facebook notified me that someone tried logging into my account from Kenya, imagine o
Re: How To Protect Your Social Media Accounts From Being Hacked by DhatPeacefuldud(m): 9:07am On Apr 26, 2018
Mhiz Slay Donkey

1 Like

Re: How To Protect Your Social Media Accounts From Being Hacked by Jubilancy(f): 9:42am On Apr 26, 2018
Like play like play my 2go account was hacked that year-- shocked[b][/b]

(1) (2) (Reply)

I Can't Believe Glo Just Gave 300gb(picture) / How Can I Track Or Block A Stolen Phone? / Cheapest Airtel Data Plans And Subscription Codes 2020

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.