Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,892 members, 7,802,875 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 12:30 AM

Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. - Travel (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. (92504 Views)

Memoirs From Chile / Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (38) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by Nobody: 6:03pm On May 10, 2018
Nig4Greatness:
There's no point for loyalty debate here but it pains me when Nigerians don't see or talk about anything good about their country and continue to compare a developing country to a developed country.why don't we focus on where we are and forget about where we are not.
No Country is a paradise,I live in both worlds and i have visited every states or cities that matter in the US,I bet you they still have slums and developmental challenges in some areas,a country where both the young and adult have access to firearms and your safety is not guaranteed??.don't forget Puerto Rico is part of US territories and their living conditions is worse than that of nigeria,yet they didn't all moved to US mainland.
If you have not been a subject of racial abuse or discrimations means you have not gone far.my rental Suv was snatched at gunpoint on a broad day light on the street of Houston Texas two years ago.
If we contribute as much what we contribute to our adopted countries to our homeland,Nigeria would be better off.
Slums? Are you kidding me!?!!? Oh please we don't have slums here in America! A typical example of a slum is Ajegunle. If you have truly traveled the length and breadth of this country, I'm pretty sure you'd understand what I am talking about...

5 Likes

Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by Nig4Greatness: 4:43am On May 11, 2018
iRyan:
Slums? Are you kidding me!?!!? Oh please we don't have slums here in America! A typical example of a slum is Ajegunle. If you have truly traveled the length and breadth of this country, I'm pretty sure you'd understand what I am talking about...
Hey what do you mean by "WE"..??..
Is US definition of slums different from that of nigeria??..hell no...a slum is a slum,let Google be your guide and there are many of them here as well.have you been to some parts of flint/Detroit Michigan or some south side of San Antonio TX or some inner part of harlem or in Queens NY among many others??..yeah I travel around due to my job and have been to those places..some inner cities are worse than hell.
It's seems you have been away for so long from Nigeria to notice the rapid developments going on there including the Ajegunle you mentioned.it's expected to see some type of slums in any big commercial cities anywhere in the world..not out of place at all.

6 Likes

Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by hammed71(m): 4:57am On May 11, 2018
OK we've gotten your message

1 Like

Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by Nig4Greatness: 5:01am On May 11, 2018
Beautyaddy:

Buhahahaha!!!!

Now why did I see this coming? Now you've resulted into stooping so low by attacking because it's obvious you couldn't accept the bitter truth in my statement.

Anyways, goodluck on your Nigeria patriotism. Nigeria needs more people like you on ground full time and not part time to save it from its already sinking self.

Oh I thought you expected a response when you first threw the first punch.it shouldn't matter much to you.
Fyi, Nigeria is not sinking a bit,it's those who have failed to make their marks that are complaining,no Country is without some challenges.
Am sure Washington broken system or drain the swamp make meaningful meanings to you...reason they opted for Trump over others.
Am a Nigerian first before any other nationality and I won't trash the formal for the latter just because am frustrated.

2 Likes

Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by Nobody: 8:57pm On May 11, 2018
Nig4Greatness:
Hey what do you mean by "WE"..??..
Is US definition of slums different from that of nigeria??..hell no...a slum is a slum,let Google be your guide and there are many of them here as well.have you been to some parts of flint/Detroit Michigan or some south side of San Antonio TX or some inner part of harlem or in Queens NY among many others??..yeah I travel around due to my job and have been to those places..some inner cities are worse than hell.
It's seems you have been away for so long from Nigeria to notice the rapid developments going on there including the Ajegunle you mentioned.it's expected to see some type of slums in any big commercial cities anywhere in the world..not out of place at all.
what I am saying is that the U.S doesn't really have slums, what we have are rundown neigborhoods that are poverty and crime ridden with slower social services. To people who live in true slums, the term 'slum' is misnomer when describing our rundown neighborhoods...

8 Likes

Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by Nobody: 8:58pm On May 11, 2018
A slum in Africa

15 Likes

Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by Nobody: 8:59pm On May 11, 2018
A slum in the U.S

17 Likes

Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by theamerican(f): 1:43am On May 12, 2018
@Nig4greatness

You've started misleading people and using rhetoric. You need to stop lying to yourself. You asked "Is US definition of slum different from that of Nigeria?". Good Lord, are you kidding me? When you say vaguely, "there are slums too in the U.S". An uninformed person thinks you're talking about a place that has people with no food, water, phones, electricity, accessible roads, houses, access to schools, healthcare, or diseases everywhere, uneducated people who seem doomed forever. Put things into context and stop deceiving yourself.

We can say "the president is a disgrace, he's not fit to be in that office" about Nigeria and the U.S., does this mean Trump and Buhari are on the same level and equal? Put things into context, please. I can say "go to Dallas and see bad roads" and someone would think I'm talking about the same horror in Nigeria.

Stop comparing Nigeria to the U.S. when it comes to development or standard of living. They are light years apart. I don't care if you've been to all the cities in the U.S., you need to stop misleading people and deceiving yourself. "Some inner cities are worse than hell" lol. Smh. Let a woman in those inner cities call 911 and tell them her husband was with a knife and threatening to stab her to death and watch what's gonna happen.

You said: "I'm a Nigerian first before any other nationality and I won't trash the formal for the latter just because am frustrated". Nobody is trashing Nigeria, sir/ma. The truth is the truth, Nigeria is nowhere close to the U.S., Canada or the U.K. It's ignorant to even think that.

We talk about people's decisions to stay in Nigeria or travel abroad based on what they want/like, let's leave it at that. A person would tell you: "no food can taste better than my mother's". Best thing is to smile, and leave them.

28 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by lindaayim(f): 3:28am On May 12, 2018
theamerican:
@Nig4greatness

You've started misleading people and using rhetoric. You need to stop lying to yourself. You asked "Is US definition of slum different from that of Nigeria?". Good Lord, are you kidding me? When you say vaguely, "there are slums too in the U.S". An uninformed person thinks you're talking about a place that has people with no food, water, phones, electricity, accessible roads, houses, access to schools, healthcare, or diseases everywhere, uneducated people who seem doomed forever. Put things into context and stop deceiving yourself.

We can say "the president is a disgrace, he's not fit to be in that office" about Nigeria and the U.S., does this mean Trump and Buhari are on the same level and equal? Put things into context, please. I can say "go to Dallas and see bad roads" and someone would think I'm talking about the same horror in Nigeria.

Stop comparing Nigeria to the U.S. when it comes to development or standard of living. They are light years apart. I don't care if you've been to all the cities in the U.S., you need to stop misleading people and deceiving yourself. "Some inner cities are worse than hell" lol. Smh. Let a woman in those inner cities call 911 and tell them her husband was with a knife and threatening to stab her to death and watch what's gonna happen.

You said: "I'm a Nigerian first before any other nationality and I won't trash the formal for the latter just because am frustrated". Nobody is trashing Nigeria, sir/ma. The truth is the truth, Nigeria is nowhere close to the U.S., Canada or the U.K. It's ignorant to even think that.

We talk about people's decisions to stay in Nigeria or travel abroad based on what they want/like, let's leave it at that. A person would tell you: "no food can taste better than my mother's". Best thing is to smile, and leave them.
very intelligent..........Nice writeup

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by theamerican(f): 3:55am On May 12, 2018
@Nig4greatness

And just to add on the "stop deceiving yourself" topic. Your "I'm Nigerian first before any other nationality" idea should remain here on Nairaland or in your head. By law, you are now under oath to put America first. You must have forgotten your oath during Naturalization. You swore to put America first. They didn't put a gun to your head to swear that oath.

If you think I'm bluffing, start a business here and try to sponsor green cards for Nigerians to employ them over your fellow Americans. They'll remind you. Or if a war broke between Nigeria and the U.S., you'd tell them Nigeria first? You had the option to remain a permanent resident and renew all the time, you chose to become an American citizen so... never forget.

It's like a police officer saying he loves his mother so much he can't ever harm her and decides to not arrest her for murder because she's his mother (no pun intended). The law says something different sir/ma'am. Of course, he he can choose not to arrest, just like you can choose to put Nigeria first before any other nationality. Just remember the consequence(s). In your case, revocation of your citizenship and any other punishment for treason.

Finally, no one is attacking Nigeria. I don't go about, telling my friends that Nigeria is a hell hole. I encourage them to visit and I still try to say nice things about Nigeria. But khaki is not leather. Truth is truth.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by Nig4Greatness: 5:19am On May 12, 2018
@theamerican,

You are not making your own thread interesting by your unnecessary emotional sentiments and it may become inactive sooner than expected and the fact you called me out says much about the direction the thread is going,though I choose to ignore.
May I remind you again,US vs NIG is NOT the focus of this thread and there"s no need going off topic,you may decide to create another with that headline.
You see,there is no such thing as alternative facts,facts are facts and that over 40millions Americans (not including undocumented) are poor with over 4% unemployment rate in a developed country are facts US vs Nig is not debatable so also is Nig vs Somalia and there was never a time i equate Nig.with US.they all have their process of developments.No point dwelling too much on this but choosing to ignore the main reason for creating your thread for another says a lot...
Since you failed to answer those few questions I asked earlier means we have little to talk.about.

2 Likes

Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by princfred(m): 5:31am On May 12, 2018
Nig4Greatness:
There's no point for loyalty debate here but it pains me when Nigerians don't see or talk about anything good about their country and continue to compare a developing country to a developed country.why don't we focus on where we are and forget about where we are not.
No Country is a paradise,I live in both worlds and i have visited every states or cities that matter in the US,I bet you they still have slums and developmental challenges in some areas,a country where both the young and adult have access to firearms and your safety is not guaranteed??.don't forget Puerto Rico is part of US territories and their living conditions is worse than that of nigeria,yet they didn't all moved to US mainland.
If you have not been a subject of racial abuse or discrimations means you have not gone far.my rental Suv was snatched at gunpoint on a broad day light on the street of Houston Texas two years ago.
If we contribute as much what we contribute to our adopted countries to our homeland,Nigeria would be better off.
Then what the fuxk are you doing there to the point of getting citizenship? Typical Nigerian hypocrite. Why not go to where they don't allow guns like UK or north Korea or better still, remain in Nigeria?

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by Nig4Greatness: 5:46am On May 12, 2018
And just to add on the "stop deceiving yourself" topic. Your "I'm [b]Nigerian first before any other nationality" idea should remain here on Nairaland or in your head. By law, you are now under oath to put America first. You must have forgotten your oath during Naturalization. You swore to put America first. They didn't put a gun to your head to swear that oath. .....

You are just quoting laws out of contexts and pure display of ignorance and blind patriotism...the same America first that prohibits you from.becoming the potus,the same laws that refer to you as naturalized citizens instead of citizens by right or the same society that calls you African American instead of american??..WAKE UP!!..and stop deceiving yourself..fyi,the oath of allegiance rule is applicable to every nation that administers it.you need to explain why we have dual nationalities,infact there are some with three passports.

1 Like

Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by princfred(m): 5:50am On May 12, 2018
kalu61:
Give me that money and I will fare better with it than going to Europe. There are alot of ideas domicile in Nigeria. Capital has always being the issue. l have a cousin who has been over see for 20years though married but with no single room here
If one is in heaven, why build a room in hell?

5 Likes

Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by Nobody: 5:58am On May 12, 2018
princfred:
If one is in heaven, why build a room in hell?
Funny. That's extreme. Do you know increasing number of people are renouncing their citizenship which you term heaven?

That are many Nigerians living far better at home than some Americans you should know that!
For the average person, America may be better but not for the above average person. Nigeria is good if you are doing well.
How many people abroad retire there? Most came back home to retire. There should be reason for someone from heaven to retire in hell. cool

3 Likes

Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by justwise(m): 6:22am On May 12, 2018
EMMAACHILE:

Funny. That's extreme. Do you know increasing number of people are renouncing their citizenship which you term heaven?

That are many Nigerians living far better at home than some Americans you should know that!
For the average person, America may be better but not for the above average person. Nigeria is good if you are doing well.
How many people abroad retire there? Most came back home to retire. There should be reason for someone from heaven to retire in hell. cool

How many?

5 Likes

Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by Nobody: 6:35am On May 12, 2018
justwise:

How many?
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-11-01/americans-are-renouncing-citizenship-at-a-record-pace

Americans Are Renouncing Citizenship at a Record Pace
Third-quarter numbers point to another annual high.

There are a lot of reasons for this. Number one reason is worldwide income tax. You are taxed as an American no matter where you earn your income. Wealthy people don't like this.

Read the link for more info

1 Like

Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by princfred(m): 6:50am On May 12, 2018
theamerican:
To @EMMAACHILE and @ugosample

"Being rich is success/happiness" and "success/happiness is being rich" are not the same.
"A rich man is a successful/happy man" and "a successful/happy man is a rich man" aren't the same too. Let's not confuse these two.

When we talk about migrating/staying in Nigeria, people are quick to say how much money you can make in Nigeria and the opportunities available. They tell you all the business ideas in the world that can make your life awesome. They keep missing the point! Not everyone travels just because they want to amass wealth. Being rich is good, money answers most of the problems in life, don't get me wrong.

Being rich wasn't the motivation for my coming here. I wanted to be in a working system. A system where accountability from everyone is paramount. A place where no professor is sleeping with me before giving me the grades I deserve. A place where cops/people won't justify or laugh at being raped because of what I wore to a party. A place where widows are protected by law and not kicked out by the family of their late husbands, I could go on and on.

These are things people take for granted... and that's fine for them. Not for me.
Babe, am in love with how you think. Please were dey de meet people like you for real life for urgent marriage lol even if na your sister abeg. Am single and searching for someone of your mental spec. I promise to be humble, hardworking, loyal and faithful if positively considered.. grin

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by justwise(m): 6:51am On May 12, 2018
EMMAACHILE:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-11-01/americans-are-renouncing-citizenship-at-a-record-pace

Americans Are Renouncing Citizenship at a Record Pace
Third-quarter numbers point to another annual high.

There are a lot of reasons for this. Number one reason is worldwide income tax. You are taxed as an American no matter where you earn your income. Wealthy people don't like this.

Read the link for more info

This is a typical case of misuse of information, these people are not renouncing their American citizenship because of hardship or insecurity, this is purely business decisions made by wealthy people and you are carelessly dropping it here.

It should be a crime to compare Nigeria to any developed country

18 Likes

Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by Nobody: 7:02am On May 12, 2018
justwise:

This is a typical case of misuse of information, these people are not renouncing their American citizenship because of hardship or insecurity, this is purely business decisions made by wealthy people and you are carelessly dropping it here.

Lol. How are I comparing? I was only telling the guy using "heaven and hell" that it is an extreme word to use. Nigeria is not hell oh!
I have been exploring means to even move my family and me likely staying back here mainly because of education and nothing else. I know I will live larger in Nigeria that any where else.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by princfred(m): 7:02am On May 12, 2018
signature2012:

Bro,pls just burn your blue pali and maintain the green one.If yankee no good for you,no ones fault,stop preaching Nigeria this,Nigeria that...e dey vex me gannnn.

What do people like you gain claiming patriotism on naija but live in America?

Na spirit of hypocrisy wey dey worry many Nigerians.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by princfred(m): 7:06am On May 12, 2018
EMMAACHILE:

Make enough money in heaven and be super rich in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by justwise(m): 7:09am On May 12, 2018
EMMAACHILE:

Lol. How are I comparing? I was only telling the guy using "heaven and hell" that it is an extreme word to use. Nigeria is not hell oh!
I have been exploring means to even move my family and me likely staying back here mainly because of education and nothing else. I know I will live larger in Nigeria that any where else.

So your family can't get good education in Nigeria?

4 Likes

Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by Nobody: 7:22am On May 12, 2018
princfred:
Make enough money in heaven and be super rich in Nigeria.
I get you. I remember when my sister and her friends from the UK came to where I was staying and saw my sitting room of 24*22 feet and dining of 14*22 feet; they were shocked that it was almost impossible to live like that in the UK.
The friends while in Nigeria were always powering off the light bulbs and the food they were eating was very little. Everything to them looks like waste or luxury including one of my sisters back home who use a new SUV and have her own large apartment in Abuja city centre.
I am still insistent that you can compare Nigeria to Europe based on the income levels of the person who is a little above average here (Nigeria earnings for this example is 800k compared to the UK resident at £2500) and not the majority of Nigerians who are struggling for survival.

The Nigerian resident is saving more than her UK counterpart and flies abroad at will to see them and not the other way round.

The major problem with Nigeria is still infrastructure and when this is solved which is like dreaming, Nigeria will be one of the best places to live.

5 Likes

Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by princfred(m): 7:23am On May 12, 2018
justwise:
[/b]

So you think its the same education and value of certificate?
Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by Nobody: 7:26am On May 12, 2018
justwise:
[/b]

You can to an extent but not when compared to the best quality of education like Finland or Switzerland.

1 Like

Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by princfred(m): 7:30am On May 12, 2018
EMMAACHILE:

I get you. I remember when my sister and her friends from the UK came to where I was staying and saw my sitting room of 24*22 feet and dining of 14*22 feet and they were shocked that it was almost impossible to live like that in the UK.
The friends while in Nigeria were always powering off the light bulbs and the food they were eating was very little. Everything to them looks like waste or luxury including one of my sisters back home who use a new SUV and have her own large apartment in Abuja city centre.
I am still insistent that you can compare Nigeria to Europe based on the income levels of the person who is a little above average here (Nigeria earnings for this example is 800k compared to the UK resident at £2500) and not the majority of Nigerians who are struggling for survival.

The Nigerian resident is saving more than her UK counterpart and flies abroad at will to see them and not the other way round.

The major problem with Nigeria is still infrastructure and when this is solved which is like dreaming, Nigeria will be one of the best places to live.
If an average earner wants to live big in UK abroad, he will be broke. Thats the mistake many Nigerians make there. An average earner cannot live the reckless Nigerian style bigman life there because things are as expensive as what one earns there but can use the money made to live big enough here. But quality of life makes even the "not big man lifestyle" there far worth it .

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by hammed71(m): 7:33am On May 12, 2018
na wa oh, if you want to stay in Nigeria stay, if you want to go abroad go. its your choice.people should stop making it look as if its a sin to leave Nigeria because am a Nigerian.

2 Likes

Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by orimahspence: 7:36am On May 12, 2018
justwise:

@justwise, tell them again, That political correctness that lies to stagnating countries, calling them ‘developing countries’ when in truth they are stagnant and in some cases even retrogressing is just disingenuous. So Haiti is a developing country alongside The Sudan, South Sudan, Somalia, Nigeria, Afghanistan and Pakistan? What is Brazil, St. Vincent and the Grenadines, South Africa, Thailand, Argentina, India, Egypt… if these sores of the earth are developing countries?

Folks, Tell yourselves the truth Nigerians and shame the Devil; a country whose health system is so none-existent that for 40yrs its leaders have gladly and continuously sought health solutions overseas cannot be said to be developing. A country is not developing because its citizens drive more cars or own bigger structures in its major cities or fly enough private jets to shame the Kenyans. A country that made and still makes trillions of naira not by any tasking revenue drives nor through sci-tech advancement but by hiring foreigners to dig up its oil, ship overseas for refining and import as finished products, and still cannot generate enough electricity for more than 5hrs/day for half of its population cannot claim to be developing, especially when you consider how long the charade of trying to generate electricity has taken.

A country that cannot supply drinking water to homes, clear domestic refuse from its cities; condemns its mentally challenged to roam its streets; flies presidents upon presidents, governors and senators overseas to treat knee issues (IBB), ear infections (Buhari), a mismanaged case of malaria!( Yar’adua) and miscellaneous trivia health issues and has a minister boldly announce how it will be making pencils in 4years would have been declared a failed nation had Somalia not refused to concede a few points. But when you take into consideration the resources at the disposal of Nigeria you just shove off the irredeemably recalcitrant, usurping Somalians.

Again, when you consider how most Nigerians are blissfully oblivious of the shame of having their president luxuriate in the UK for some undisclosed ailment while their country continuously allocates millions of dollars to a no-existent healthcare system; when you consider how the citizens keep mute over this grievous violation of their dignity and humanity; when you come to know that there are even citizens who don’t find this shameful and worthy of a call for impeachment, citizens who tongue-lash fellow compatriots for asking cogent questions about these bewildering oddities, you come to the realization that you are dealing with a country of failed citizens.

That Nigeria itself is not yet declared a failed state is partly because its reprobate buccaneers still want everything held together so they can continue using the pretense at nationhood to get richer and more influential. When they are rich enough, when the oil dries up, then Somalia will abdicate and Nigeria shall take its rightful place. Until then, let’s continue to play the ostrich, let’s continue to execute the injunctions of misinformed pastors when they ask us to “pray for our dear county, Nigeria”, let’s continue to wallow in the deceptive beauty of that tag, “developing nation”. But while at it, let those who seek to really move things beyond the lies and fallacies ask themselves again; what exactly qualifies a country as developing?- and afterwards proceed to study Brazil while reading Niyi Osundare’s Here Nothing Works to the accompaniment of Lagbaja’s 180million Mumus. When I get my visa pere!!! O-dabo in Aregbes voice

34 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by theamerican(f): 7:43am On May 12, 2018
Dear @Nig4greatness,

The thread is not a restrictive one. It simply asks people to say if they think traveling is worth it and try to give reasons for their answer(s). When people say misleading things, I decide to refute those claims. If you say I prefer staying in Nigeria because of the gun violence abroad", that's a good reason. I may say nothing OR decide to say/prove that there's also gun violence in Nigeria, hence a healthy debate.

Another example: "All the people traveling abroad wash plates and sweep floors, so I don't wanna travel" is different from "if I travel, getting a job good job abroad may be difficult considering the fact that I have an already stable job here". You see? I will instantly disagree with the first, and the second may or may not be argued.

Case is different if someone says "I prefer staying in Nigeria because they kill everybody in the U.S. there's no black family in the U.S. that doesn't have a gun violence victim, they shoot all the blacks there". Now that's a statement that's completely misleading and untrue. So... I will refute that nonsense and set the record straight in case people who don't know, read such nonsense.

Also, a person abroad who says: "No one in Nigeria eats 3 square meals" is saying nonsense. I will definitely reject that. So, you see? It's a thread for healthy arguments and counter-arguments. We learn from each other.

Also, I didn't even quote any law. I just reminded you that you're under oath. That's all.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by HeWrites(m): 7:46am On May 12, 2018
Observing grin
Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by princfred(m): 7:52am On May 12, 2018
orimahspence:

@justwise, tell them again, That political correctness that lies to stagnating countries, calling them ‘developing countries’ when in truth they are stagnant and in some cases even retrogressing is just disingenuous. So Haiti is a developing country alongside The Sudan, South Sudan, Somalia, Nigeria, Afghanistan and Pakistan? What is Brazil, St. Vincent and the Grenadines, South Africa, Thailand, Argentina, India, Egypt… if these sores of the earth are developing countries?

Folks, Tell yourselves the truth Nigerians and shame the Devil; a country whose health system is so none-existent that for 40yrs its leaders have gladly and continuously sought health solutions overseas cannot be said to be developing. A country is not developing because its citizens drive more cars or own bigger structures in its major cities or fly enough private jets to shame the Kenyans. A country that made and still makes trillions of naira not by any tasking revenue drives nor through sci-tech advancement but by hiring foreigners to dig up its oil, ship overseas for refining and import as finished products, and still cannot generate enough electricity for more than 5hrs/day for half of its population cannot claim to be developing, especially when you consider how long the charade of trying to generate electricity has taken.

A country that cannot supply drinking water to homes, clear domestic refuse from its cities; condemns its mentally challenged to roam its streets; flies presidents upon presidents, governors and senators overseas to treat knee issues (IBB), ear infections (Buhari), a mismanaged case of malaria!( Yar’adua) and miscellaneous trivia health issues and has a minister boldly announce how it will be making pencils in 4years would have been declared a failed nation had Somalia not refused to concede a few points. But when you take into consideration the resources at the disposal of Nigeria you just shove off the irredeemably recalcitrant, usurping Somalians.

Again, when you consider how most Nigerians are blissfully oblivious of the shame of having their president luxuriate in the UK for some undisclosed ailment while their country continuously allocates millions of dollars to a no-existent healthcare system; when you consider how the citizens keep mute over this grievous violation of their dignity and humanity; when you come to know that there are even citizens who don’t find this shameful and worthy of a call for impeachment, citizens who tongue-lash fellow compatriots for asking cogent questions about these bewildering oddities, you come to the realization that you are dealing with a country of failed citizens.

That Nigeria itself is not yet declared a failed state is partly because its reprobate buccaneers still want everything held together so they can continue using the pretense at nationhood to get richer and more influential. When they are rich enough, when the oil dries up, then Somalia will abdicate and Nigeria shall take its rightful place. Until then, let’s continue to play the ostrich, let’s continue to execute the injunctions of misinformed pastors when they ask us to “pray for our dear county, Nigeria”, let’s continue to wallow in the deceptive beauty of that tag, “developing nation”. But while at it, let those who seek to really move things beyond the lies and fallacies ask themselves again; what exactly qualifies a country as developing?- and afterwards proceed to study Brazil while reading Niyi Osundare’s Here Nothing Works to the accompaniment of Lagbaja’s 180million Mumus. When I get my visa pere!!! O-dabo in Aregbes voice
The huge love for self deception and delusions makes a Nigerian refer to the moribund country as a developing one . A country cant develop without its people knowing their true state. When Trump called it a sh&thole and Nnamdi Kanu called it a zoo, they think they were insulting the country but they were just saying it as it is. An oil producing country dragging status with Somali. Is that not a curse? A nation of low IQ semi imbeciles and mental midgets praising their modern day economic slave urchins of leaders.

12 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (38) (Reply)

Tourists Are Dying Trying To Reach This Abandoned Bus In Alaskan Wilderness(Pics / Some Funny Slangs Used In Warri / Giant Cobra Killed And Swallowed Huge Python In Philippines(Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 124
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.