Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,596 members, 7,801,720 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 09:01 PM

Who Should We Obey In This Case, The Landlord Or The Wife? - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Who Should We Obey In This Case, The Landlord Or The Wife? (22689 Views)

Should I Confront Directly Or Report To The Landlord? / Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? / What Is Your Worst Experience With A Landlord Or Landlady? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Should We Obey In This Case, The Landlord Or The Wife? by HeavenIsSoReall: 11:43am On Apr 20, 2018
Pls Lawyers in the house I need your advice here.

Our Landlord and the wife have been fighting for whose account the tenancy fees should be paid into. We paid the initial money to the landlord and packed in, our first tenancy renewal was also paid to the landlord but now, the wife came up with an order that no tenant should pay into the landlord's account again, she warned us seriously that every payment should be made into her personal account which she sent to every tenant.

The landlord in the other hand is also threatening us not listen to his wife unless we want to pay double. One of the tenants that paid into the landlord's account has been asked to vacate his apartment by the Landlady.

Both the Landlord and his wife are claiming ownership of the house but some elders around told us that the house belongs to the Landlady. Right now we're confused on what to do. Pls I need matured contribution(s) thank you.

2 Likes

Re: Who Should We Obey In This Case, The Landlord Or The Wife? by mumureloaded(m): 11:45am On Apr 20, 2018
I think you shouldn't renew the shit for the moment.

52 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Who Should We Obey In This Case, The Landlord Or The Wife? by daviesblaze(m): 11:48am On Apr 20, 2018
in this case, both the landlady and the husband have no right to collect rent or send anyone packing, until the matter of ownership is resolved in a law court

173 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Who Should We Obey In This Case, The Landlord Or The Wife? by JideAmuGiaka: 12:02pm On Apr 20, 2018
daviesblaze:
in this case, both the landlady and the husband have no right to collect rent or send anyone packing, until the matter of ownership is resolved in a law court

Hmmmm

3 Likes

Re: Who Should We Obey In This Case, The Landlord Or The Wife? by Nobody: 12:36pm On Apr 20, 2018
daviesblaze:
very true

Who owns the house? Who do you recognise as the owner?

3 Likes

Re: Who Should We Obey In This Case, The Landlord Or The Wife? by HeavenIsSoReall: 2:39pm On Apr 20, 2018
daviesblaze:

What will happen to the accumulated rents considering our judicial system that's always slow in delivering judgement, What if the court decides to seal the house pending the outcome of the case?. I would have packed out but I still have eight months left.
Re: Who Should We Obey In This Case, The Landlord Or The Wife? by daviesblaze(m): 3:08pm On Apr 20, 2018
HeavenIsSoReall:

What will happen to the accumulated rents considering our judicial system that's always slow in delivering judgement, What if the court decides to seal the house pending the outcome of the case?. I would have packed out but I still have eight months left.

the court has no right to seal the building, except at least two-third of the tenants have decided to evacuate the building for reasons such as seeing another place to live, or a form of compensation have been paid.

but if you happen to be among the one-third that was not lucky, OYO for you o grin grin grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Should We Obey In This Case, The Landlord Or The Wife? by daviesblaze(m): 3:13pm On Apr 20, 2018
daviesblaze:

the court has no right to seal the building, except at least two-third of the tenants have decided to evacuate the building for reasons such as seeing another place to live in, or a form of compensation have been paid.

but if you happen to be among the one-third that was not lucky, OYO for you o grin grin grin but some states in Nigeria especially the northern part like kano, usually give the tenants monetary value to look for another house. until then the tenants cannot pack cool cool
Re: Who Should We Obey In This Case, The Landlord Or The Wife? by talk2archy: 4:59pm On Apr 20, 2018
The husband.
Re: Who Should We Obey In This Case, The Landlord Or The Wife? by Jamie90(m): 4:59pm On Apr 20, 2018
I think both the landlord and the landlady are big fools.

They should be sorting themselves in court, instead of inconviniecing their tenants.

The one whose name is on the receipt when you paid your house rent should be recognized as the owner.

However, you shouldn't pay for now.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Should We Obey In This Case, The Landlord Or The Wife? by ZarahBuhari: 5:00pm On Apr 20, 2018
daviesblaze:
Seconded the motion cheesy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SU7Tm2IY0Qk

BTW, who's name was on the agreement?
Landlord or Landlady?

2 Likes

Re: Who Should We Obey In This Case, The Landlord Or The Wife? by Ikem11(m): 5:00pm On Apr 20, 2018
Very funny though, but the question should be who rented the apartment to you? Who did u pay the first rent? Continue paying same person. If the wife said you should pay her, she should be able to provide to all tenants proof that shows she bought or own the property from the previous person u been paying the rent.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Who Should We Obey In This Case, The Landlord Or The Wife? by OBAGADAFFI: 5:01pm On Apr 20, 2018
Get a lawyer and organize a meeting with both the landlord and his wife present.

9 Likes

Re: Who Should We Obey In This Case, The Landlord Or The Wife? by salbis(m): 5:01pm On Apr 20, 2018
Na dis kind situation Fela dey call stalemate! grin grin

5 Likes

Re: Who Should We Obey In This Case, The Landlord Or The Wife? by Nobody: 5:01pm On Apr 20, 2018
Is the landlady pretty?

3 Likes

Re: Who Should We Obey In This Case, The Landlord Or The Wife? by Donald3d(m): 5:03pm On Apr 20, 2018
Dey enjoy free house dey go joor
Until they settle thier wahala grin grin grin
They can't touch you for not paying.
Tell them you don't know who to pay to grin grin grin
Jokes apart whether the Landlady is the real owner or not, I advice you pay to her.You don't need a lawyer to tell you that.
She would fight for you if the landlord tries to kick you out, I can't say the same if you pay to the Landlord
#FearWomen

9 Likes

Re: Who Should We Obey In This Case, The Landlord Or The Wife? by Nobody: 5:03pm On Apr 20, 2018
grin grin grin

It might turn out that neither of them own the house

grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Who Should We Obey In This Case, The Landlord Or The Wife? by Yinxies(f): 5:04pm On Apr 20, 2018
Don't pay to any of them till they resolve their issues

1 Like

Re: Who Should We Obey In This Case, The Landlord Or The Wife? by tofolo(m): 5:04pm On Apr 20, 2018
Na pass I dey pass.

4 Likes

Re: Who Should We Obey In This Case, The Landlord Or The Wife? by AngelicBeing: 5:04pm On Apr 20, 2018
Nawao, double wahala for dead body and the owner of dead body tongue

2 Likes

Re: Who Should We Obey In This Case, The Landlord Or The Wife? by Pavore9: 5:05pm On Apr 20, 2018
HeavenIsSoReall:

The court may likely provide a neutral account where rent would be paid in while ownership is being determined.

1 Like

Re: Who Should We Obey In This Case, The Landlord Or The Wife? by nextstep(m): 5:05pm On Apr 20, 2018
What does your written tenancy agreement say? Does it say "pay into so so so account"? or pay cash to either husband or wife? Unless a new written agreement is signed, you are not obligated to change where you pay your accounts into. Trouble is landlady might call police on you, which could complicate things if you don't agree to move out.

Or just don't pay (but save it and make sure you don't spend it oh) until the issue is resolved, because you can say you don't know the owner of the house until the case is decided.

1 Like

Re: Who Should We Obey In This Case, The Landlord Or The Wife? by Bluffly: 5:05pm On Apr 20, 2018
daviesblaze:

Best option

1 Like

Re: Who Should We Obey In This Case, The Landlord Or The Wife? by thunder74(m): 5:05pm On Apr 20, 2018
Pay your rent renewal to the person you paid your last rent to especially the name on your receipt or the agreement if any.
You may get a lawyer to pay or address a letter with the rent to your last known landlord they both acknowledged as at the time they were in good terms.

1 Like

Re: Who Should We Obey In This Case, The Landlord Or The Wife? by Nobody: 5:06pm On Apr 20, 2018
your landlord and landlady both of them needs marriage counselling

6 Likes

Re: Who Should We Obey In This Case, The Landlord Or The Wife? by wwwtortoise(m): 5:06pm On Apr 20, 2018
grin

Just make sure you get a receipt after payment; very important.

1 Like

Re: Who Should We Obey In This Case, The Landlord Or The Wife? by nextstep(m): 5:07pm On Apr 20, 2018
Ikem11:
Very funny though, but the question should be who rented the apartment to you? Who did u pay the first rent? Continue paying same person. If the wife said you should pay her, she should be able to provide to all tenants proof that shows she bought or own the property from the previous person u been paying the rent.

I think this is the best advise for this situation. The owner should bring proof in the case of such a dispute.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Should We Obey In This Case, The Landlord Or The Wife? by MistadeRegal(m): 5:07pm On Apr 20, 2018
angry
Simple case. Split rent into 4. First half, split in two and pay each half to each of them. Now remaining half keep till they settle their differences. Tenants are going through poo.

1 Like

Re: Who Should We Obey In This Case, The Landlord Or The Wife? by Olalan(m): 5:08pm On Apr 20, 2018
Didn't you go thru an agent when paying initially

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Demolition Of Buildings Ongoing In Oyo State (Photos) / Office Space,Shops,Self contain,Mini-flat,2,3,4 bedroom Flat and Duplexes to let / Buy Lands At "Royal Palms Estates", Okuku, Owerri.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.