Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,363 members, 7,808,269 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:37 AM

First Set Of Lagos Big Boys In 1913 (Throwback Photo) - Nairaland / General (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / First Set Of Lagos Big Boys In 1913 (Throwback Photo) (67568 Views)

The Origin Of "Go And Flit My Room" (Throwback Photo) / Facebook 10 Years Challenge: Check Out Amazing Throwback Photo Collections / Friends Recreate Their 1992 Throwback Photo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: First Set Of Lagos Big Boys In 1913 (Throwback Photo) by Abdulmujeeb52(m): 10:53pm On Apr 20, 2018
where is Macaulay ?
Re: First Set Of Lagos Big Boys In 1913 (Throwback Photo) by steveDpro: 11:12pm On Apr 20, 2018
In diebus eis
Re: First Set Of Lagos Big Boys In 1913 (Throwback Photo) by musicwriter(m): 11:44pm On Apr 20, 2018
givean:
The colonialists made them look so inferior, that some had to alter the look of their natural hair to look like that of the colonialist. To them,
the Blackman's afro was an evil that needed to be purged out together with their culture and community organization.

Nice observation!.

The early 1900's was the heart of colonialism. By that time, the African people had been conquered completely, our kings dethroned, social, political, and economic structure changed, and a European one imposed on us. As a result, the people then felt the white man and his god was superior and that we and our gods must be inferior. So, everybody then wanted to think and look like the white man in order to be seen as ''civilized'' and to survive in the new socio-economic and socio-political order created by the Europeans- something that's still with us till this day.

1 Like

Re: First Set Of Lagos Big Boys In 1913 (Throwback Photo) by adegeye38(m): 12:16am On Apr 21, 2018
Nigerians are so so dumb, if this picture was taken in 1960, these guys are big men, not to talk of freaking 1913, 105 ys ago, before there was even a scam called Nigeria

Look at those suits, those shoes, the hairstyles how many people could afford to take a picture, this guys were rich

3 Likes

Re: First Set Of Lagos Big Boys In 1913 (Throwback Photo) by Franking: 12:41am On Apr 21, 2018
Curiously no agbada there.
Re: First Set Of Lagos Big Boys In 1913 (Throwback Photo) by Nowenuse: 1:21am On Apr 21, 2018
5thElement:

Nonsense! No clothes in 1913? Are you ok sir?

Yes, he is very correct! Majority of Nigerians had no access to western clothes by 1913. Infact not until 1950 did most rural parts of Nigeria receive western clothes.

Infact there are many rural parts of Nigeria that did not wear western clothes not until early 1980s.

1 Like

Re: First Set Of Lagos Big Boys In 1913 (Throwback Photo) by Nowenuse: 1:26am On Apr 21, 2018
StaffofOrayan:
Where did you get that rubbish from? maybe your tribe were naked, definitely not the Yoruba's,

When he said 'clothes', I think he actually meant 'western clothes'.
Besides, most of those pics you posted showed people from royal families. Many children and the poor masses/commoners and slaves were half naked when the whites came.

1 Like

Re: First Set Of Lagos Big Boys In 1913 (Throwback Photo) by Nowenuse: 1:32am On Apr 21, 2018
smith666999:
i did not even see a tortice car parked arround to complete the BignesS

When did cars start to exist? At 1913, majority of the Europeans themselves had no access to cars and 'tortise car' had not even come close to being created.

1 Like

Re: First Set Of Lagos Big Boys In 1913 (Throwback Photo) by yummy001: 2:49am On Apr 21, 2018
Pain:
SOME OF YOU LAUGHING AT THEM, MIGHT ACTUALLY BE THEM. ONLY THE ENLIGHTENED WILL UNDERSTAND undecided

Same soul.... Different bodies. That's deep bro!

1 Like

Re: First Set Of Lagos Big Boys In 1913 (Throwback Photo) by donkilluminati(m): 3:14am On Apr 21, 2018
fuckerstard:

No mind the poster, big boy indeed. Some even drop caps for ground.
that made me laugh out loud. as in the cap too heavy.
Re: First Set Of Lagos Big Boys In 1913 (Throwback Photo) by sakabien: 4:03am On Apr 21, 2018
Guilderland1:

��Please guys is it true that
Glo is giving free MTN
credit to Etisalat
CUSTOMERS that are
using Airtel...?

����
YES
Re: First Set Of Lagos Big Boys In 1913 (Throwback Photo) by Hotzone(m): 6:15am On Apr 21, 2018
Ndi ara living a borrowed life and forming oyibo suits
Igbo amaka!!!

Re: First Set Of Lagos Big Boys In 1913 (Throwback Photo) by patosky3310(m): 7:05am On Apr 21, 2018
Guilderland1:

��Please guys is it true that
Glo is giving free MTN
credit to Etisalat
CUSTOMERS that are
using Airtel...?

����

Funny you
Re: First Set Of Lagos Big Boys In 1913 (Throwback Photo) by bolinjkezzy(m): 7:36am On Apr 21, 2018
propanet:
Big boys in terms of what?
Big boys my foot.
All what qualified them as so called big boys came from the white man's world...even the camera that preserved the memory belongs to the white.
So what then made them to be called big boys when they all lived a borrowed life?
Am sure you are doing your big boy with the phone the white made, what's your point?
Re: First Set Of Lagos Big Boys In 1913 (Throwback Photo) by Nobody: 8:12am On Apr 21, 2018
Nowenuse:

Yes, he is very correct! Majority of Nigerians had no access to western clothes by 1913. Infact not until 1950 did most rural parts of Nigeria receive western clothes.

Infact there are many rural parts of Nigeria that did not wear western clothes not until early 1980s.

Well maybe in the eastern part of Nigeria.

Surely not in the western part.

And please before you decide to start arguing with me pointlessly, Google is your friend.
Re: First Set Of Lagos Big Boys In 1913 (Throwback Photo) by BlueScholar(m): 8:57am On Apr 21, 2018
grin
Re: First Set Of Lagos Big Boys In 1913 (Throwback Photo) by Bbdealer(m): 8:57am On Apr 21, 2018
Am 100% certain all the individual saying "big boys indeed" back then in 1913 would either be slaves or be wearing leaves as clothes.
Re: First Set Of Lagos Big Boys In 1913 (Throwback Photo) by B2mario(m): 9:21am On Apr 21, 2018
nepapole:
What made them big abeg? Dey come worwor sef.

The big suit they wore.
Re: First Set Of Lagos Big Boys In 1913 (Throwback Photo) by Kuulest(m): 11:13am On Apr 21, 2018
In reality, they are not in White and Black. Because some of us are expecting to see DG, Versace, and Gucci...
Re: First Set Of Lagos Big Boys In 1913 (Throwback Photo) by sapeleboi(m): 1:32pm On Apr 21, 2018
big worwor boys
Re: First Set Of Lagos Big Boys In 1913 (Throwback Photo) by Nowenuse: 2:26am On Apr 22, 2018
5thElement:

Well maybe in the eastern part of Nigeria.

Surely not in the western part.

And please before you decide to start arguing with me pointlessly, Google is your friend.

Ok, so you mean that by 1913, every single person in the west was wearing western clothes, down to those in the innermost rural areas? Just few years after colonialism began? Really, reason it out yourself.
Re: First Set Of Lagos Big Boys In 1913 (Throwback Photo) by Nobody: 6:26am On Apr 22, 2018
Nowenuse:

Ok, so you mean that by 1913, every single person in the west was wearing western clothes, down to those in the innermost rural areas? Just few years after colonialism began? Really, reason it out yourself.

No. The Yorubas have always had their own clothes.

So you think when the colonizers came they met us n@ked and then gave us their western clothes to wear?

Seriously?

Way before the 18th century every single Yoruba adult was fully clothed and definitely not in European clothes.
Re: First Set Of Lagos Big Boys In 1913 (Throwback Photo) by Nobody: 6:31am On Apr 22, 2018
Pain:
SOME OF YOU LAUGHING AT THEM, MIGHT ACTUALLY BE THEM. ONLY THE ENLIGHTENED WILL UNDERSTAND undecided

Well said.
Re: First Set Of Lagos Big Boys In 1913 (Throwback Photo) by Nobody: 6:35am On Apr 22, 2018
Nowenuse:

When he said 'clothes', I think he actually meant 'western clothes'.
Besides, most of those pics you posted showed people from royal families. Many children and the poor masses/commoners and slaves were half naked when the whites came.

You are wrong again. Children may run around n@ked, not for want of clothing.

Adults have always been fully clothed in Yoruba land. You wouldn't see a grown woman tying some strip of clothing to cover her breasts and the tie some mini wrapper to cover her ass.

That's not the Yoruba style of dressing.
Re: First Set Of Lagos Big Boys In 1913 (Throwback Photo) by Nowenuse: 2:33pm On Apr 22, 2018
5thElement:

No. The Yorubas have always had their own clothes.

So you think when the colonizers came they met us n@ked and then gave us their western clothes to wear?

Seriously?

Way before the 18th century every single Yoruba adult was fully clothed and definitely not in European clothes.

I am not disputing about native clothes. Hausas, nupes, Igalas, Kwararafans, Kanem bornus and many other Nigerians also had native clothes and were well covered before the Europeans arrived.

What I and the other guy were disputing about is western clothes. When did western clothes reach all parts of yoruba land?
Re: First Set Of Lagos Big Boys In 1913 (Throwback Photo) by Nobody: 5:49pm On Apr 22, 2018
Nowenuse:

I am not disputing about native clothes. Hausas, nupes, Igalas, Kwararafans, Kanem bornus and many other Nigerians also had native clothes and were well covered before the Europeans arrived.

What I and the other guy were disputing about is western clothes. When did western clothes reach all parts of yoruba land?

Oh ok. That I can't say for sure. Probably when the missionaries came around and those taken as slaves started returning all garbed in the white man's clothes I guess.
Re: First Set Of Lagos Big Boys In 1913 (Throwback Photo) by Ayobami7(m): 10:53am On Nov 14, 2018
This is my Comment
Re: First Set Of Lagos Big Boys In 1913 (Throwback Photo) by BlackAdam55(m): 3:36am On Nov 15, 2018

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Burnt Person Runs Out Of Chickason Gas Plant Explosion In Anambra (Video) / If You Ever Did This It Means life dealt you a bad hand. / Sanwo-Olu Empty Vault Spotted At Ikoyi Cemetery (Pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.