Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,979 members, 7,806,857 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 04:37 AM

. - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / . (580570 Views)

IGBO POLITICAL LEADERS N THEIR PAST MISADVENTURES RESULTING IN CURRENT NAT PROBL / Junaid Mohammed: Igbo Political Leaders Haven’t Learnt Any Lesson From Civil War / Buhari And Economic Advisory Council In Close Door Meeting (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (732) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: . by Cjrane2: 5:52pm On Apr 21, 2018
AuntLaVIV:
Speed rail project, oil/gas development, coal development, housing for the future. etc

1. Power plants especially Gas and/or Coal and

2. Regional railway links are what the regional government should find Chinese financiers.

For a Total length of <1,000KM, to link key SE cities to the SS cities, this is a highly bankable venture for any investor.

These are the only projects that will give the region any hope of creating jobs within the region and cheaply moving goods and services from point A to point B.

Every other thing is secondary to these two major things that must happen. A lot has been said about this in numerous threads. I wonder why it has not started.https://www.nairaland.com/3780758/ohanaeze-sets-up-committee-design

7 Likes

Re: . by Kokolet11: 5:55pm On Apr 21, 2018
AuntLaVIV:

Bro, if it is the usual showing of pictures from state to state, the forum is already awash with it. Let us focus on economic issues, let this be a total departure from the usual threads where we have been showcasing projects both public and private. I was thinking it's gonna be a blending thread for the home residents and abroad residents to brainstorm on investment opportunities both in private and public sector. Let the thread have a direction, and not just random show of the states. Showcasing of investment potentials in the region, like oil/gas, coal, and other mineral resources in the region. Let the discussion drive towards regional development including Igbos in Delta, Rivers, etc. My take though.
madam why not bring up topic for discussIon?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: . by AuntLaVIV(f): 5:58pm On Apr 21, 2018
Cjrane2:

Power plants especially Gas and/or Coal and Regional railway links are what the regional government should find Chinese financiers.

These are the only projects that will give the region any hope of creating jobs within the region and cheaply moving goods and services from point A to point B.

Every other thing is secondary to these two major things that must happen.

I totally agree with you. Until we start discussing it we may not find solutions to it. We can draw willing investors through this awareness. Let this thread not be about another 'my kitchen is better than your kitchen'. Lets go regional this time by discussing broadbased regional developmental issues. My take.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: . by spyder880(m): 6:02pm On Apr 21, 2018
Re: . by Handsomegod(m): 6:03pm On Apr 21, 2018
Develpeast:

PRODA was seen as the beacon of light for the nigerian science and technology at the time but they starved of funding and it died naturally without strangulation. What we need now is funds and the right mindset towards development, then we will not be rivaled. You and i know that we will have reached a very high place in technology and science if PRODA had the right attention and funding it needs.

It is going to take ages for us to come to pursue a single future as a people owing to the setting of governance we are presently facing in the country today. We hope we younger generations can fight more to make us come together so that we can achieve more as a people than we have achieved as individuals.

Did you say PRODA? PRODA was killed by the atavistic politics of the zoo after the civil war. Not only where the designs and key technological sketches and designs of Igbo engineers during the war burnt and destroyed,PRODA,which holds the key for further industrialization of the east was also deliberately starved of funds and grants to pursue their legitimate mandate. I will post the links later for all to read and marvel at the wickedness of this land.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: . by AuntLaVIV(f): 6:05pm On Apr 21, 2018
spyder880:

What is your suggestions about the fastest way to bring to completion, a speed rail project connecting the whole of Eastern Region to other regions?

My suggestion alone is not enough, but it is something you bring up for discussion because we have intelligent people even here with great ideas to add and move from there.

6 Likes

Re: . by Cjrane2: 6:11pm On Apr 21, 2018
AuntLaVIV:

My suggestion alone is not enough, but it is something you bring up for discussion because we have intelligent people with great ideas to add and move from there.

The best way to bring about speedy completion is to secure FG approval for the project.
Then get a reputable Chinese bank and give them generous incentive like 100 year- PPP ownership plan of build-operate and transfer. If we don't give such incentives, even in 100 years, you may not have enough money to execute it.

7 Likes

Re: . by AuntLaVIV(f): 6:20pm On Apr 21, 2018

Southwest Governors To Bid For Murtala Muhammed Airport Concession

https://www.pmnewsnigeria.com/2018/03/28/southwest-governors-to-bid-for-murtala-muhammed-airport-concession/

I brought this up for a purpose. These guys are thinking regionally ahead. Let us look at the regional map including Delta(Anioma) and Rivers(Igbo).

We can even draw government agencies and commissioners from the east to this thread to tap from some of brainstorming and delivery of ideas.

3 Likes

Re: . by Sprumbabafather: 6:24pm On Apr 21, 2018
AuntLaVIV:

Southwest Governors To Bid For Murtala Muhammed Airport Concession

https://www.pmnewsnigeria.com/2018/03/28/southwest-governors-to-bid-for-murtala-muhammed-airport-concession/

I brought this up for a purpose. These guys are thinking regionally ahead. Let us look at the regional map including Delta(Anioma) and Rivers(Igbo).

We can even draw government agencies and commissioners from the east to this thread to tap from some of brainstorming and delivery of ideas.

Maybe your real purpose is to derail the thread with news which has no bearing on this topic. You have made your points, now depart since you said you have zero suggestions to make. Op, stop replying this person.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: . by spyder880(m): 6:28pm On Apr 21, 2018

6 Likes

Re: . by Handsomegod(m): 6:34pm On Apr 21, 2018
AuntLaVIV:
I thought this thread will be a complete departure from the usual showcasing of SE which we have seen all over NL.

I was expecting thread where brainstorming on economic issues will be done. A thread that will chart a course for Igbo economic integration and economic independence through joint infrastructure and investment.

If that is not the case then the aim is defeated already.
. What do you do for a living? We can turn this thread to a a similitude of comprehensive professional seminar presentation context where we all can project our areas of core competence as it applies to Igbo development. For instance,am a Facilities Management consultant. Many of our brethren here expressed their concerns regarding the livability of our cities with special focus on maintenance,establishment of green areas and general convenience.My company manages some of the upscale sky scrapers in Dallas,Hamburg and Joburg.It is not magic that we see most of these buildings and plazas in key western cities look fresh and new all year round. There are policies that aid Service level agreements to ensure these buildings remain livable and functional all year round. This also applies to residential areas in these cities. How do we apply this in Igboland? We can establish States Facilities Review Board in all Igbo states and experts contracted as consultants to advise and set benchmarks on building livability and maintenance reviews. This can be privatised for more efficiency. This is why you have estate managers and facilities board in residential areas abroad to ensure quality is adhered to. This holds the key to the livability of our cities. Even posh areas like Zoo Estate,G.R.As,Liberty Estate and others are poorly managed and unlivable when subjected international standards.

18 Likes 3 Shares

Re: . by AuntLaVIV(f): 6:42pm On Apr 21, 2018
Handsomegod:
. What do you do for a living? We can turn this thread to a a similitude of comprehensive professional seminar presentation context where we all can project our areas of core competence as it applies to Igbo development. For instance,am a Facilities Management consultant. Many of our brethren here expressed their concerns regarding the livability of our cities with special focus on maintenance,establishment of green areas and general convenience.My company manages some of the upscale sky scrapers in Dallas,Hamburg and Joburg.It is not magic that we see most of these buildings and plazas in key western cities look fresh and new all year round. There are policies that aid Service level agreements to ensure these buildings remain livable and functional all year round. This also applies to residential areas in these cities. How do we apply this in Igboland? We can establish States Facilities Review Board in all Igbo states and experts contracted as consultants to advise and set benchmarks building livability and maintenance reviews. This can be privatised for more efficiency. This is why you have estate managers and facilities board in residential areas abroad to ensure quality is adhered to. This holds the key to the livability of our cities. Even posh areas like Zoo Estate,G.R.As,Liberty Estate and others are poorly managed and unlivable when subjected international standards.

This is what i just said, we have people with great ideas and exposure. I am a civil servant. I am a lady that loves to see major regional integration that is capable of making us what Hong Kong is to China.

As much as we pay attention to maintenance of existing structures let us also start looking at the big picture- regional development.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: . by spyder880(m): 9:02pm On Apr 21, 2018

8 Likes

Re: . by Afam4eva(m): 11:18pm On Apr 21, 2018
spyder880:
@ Develpeast, simply beautiful.

Where is Afam4eva, where is Cjrane, and all Igbos, come in and contribute.
Welldone Spyder. Chukwu gozie gi.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: . by Cjrane2: 12:07am On Apr 22, 2018
spyder880:

How I wish we are still operating regional governments, this region would have been much faster in developing.

Gbam if the regional government were in operation, all the money stolen via corruption over the years could have been used to build key infrastructure for the development of Nigeria.

All the same, we have NO CHOICE than to build them ourselves through bringing states together to cooperate, because FG will NEVER build such for us. Infact, they will look for ways to frustrate it instead of supporting it so that other states can come together and copy the process in developing Nigeria.

Therefore the plan should be for a 5 years development plan for Regional railway.
The steps are.

1. The SE Governors and SS Governors should secure permission from FG to build the regional railway and float a company "Eastern Corridor Railways Corporation (ECRC)"

2. Every benefiting state will invest 1% of their budget as Equity into the company to take care on initial takeoff
This is later converted to shares in the company for the respective states.

3. Get Foreign companies to bid as foreign Technical partners to do the actual construction on a PPP arrangement and 100 Year BOT (Build-Operate_Transfer)

These three steps will ensure the project is actualized and it will greatly facilitate economic activities in both zones. Imagine travelling from Calabar to Onitsha or Port Harcourt on an air-conditioned train and get there in 2-3 hours? Or bringing your goods from Afikpo to Port-Harcourt. Then do your business and return to Calabar or Afikpo without Police harassment and bad roads?

If the total railway track is less than 1,000KM dual carriage railway, Then the total cost should be less than $1 billion dollars which can be financed partly by World Bank, China Exim bank and other international financiers when the bidding process is transparent. A 5-Year phase of $200 million dollars per year is also reasonable time-frame.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: . by Handsomegod(m): 12:45am On Apr 22, 2018
Cjrane2:

Gbam if the regional government were in operation, all the money stolen via corruption over the years could have been used to build key infrastructure for the development of Nigeria.

All the same, we have NO CHOICE than to build them ourselves through bringing states together to cooperate, because FG will NEVER build such for us. Infact, they will look for ways to frustrate it instead of supporting it so that other states can come together and copy the process in developing Nigeria.

Therefore the plan should be for a 5 years development plan for Regional railway.
The steps are.

1. The SE Governors and SS Governors should secure permission from FG to build the regional railway and float a company "Eastern Corridor Railways Corporation (ECRC)"

2. Every benefiting state will invest 1% of their budget as Equity into the company to take care on initial takeoff

3. Get Foreign companies to bid as foreign Technical partners to do the actual construction on a PPP arrangement and 100 Year BOT (Build-Operate_Transfer)

These three steps will ensure the project is actualized and it will greatly facilitate economic activities in both zones. Imagine travelling from Calabar to Onitsha or Port Harcourt on an air-conditioned train and get there in 2-3 hours? Or bringing your goods from Afikpo to Port-Harcourt. Then do your business and return to Calabar or Afikpo without Police harassment and bad roads?

If the total railway track is less than 1,000KM dual carriage railway, Then the total cost should be less than $1 billion dollars which can be financed partly by World Bank, China Exim bank and other international financiers when the bidding process is transparent. A 5-Year phase of $200 million dollars per year is also reasonable time-frame.
Your emphasis on rail transportation is critical. Developing a modern transport sector is highly critical to our development as a race and region. Igbos are by far the most mobile and active tribe. A highly developed regional transport sector will elevate and greatly facilitate business transactions with the various cities. Related to this is fighting to ensure at least one seaport is functional. I still wonder why same equity you proposed above was not adopted all these while by States in the old Eastern region to develop Ibaka Seaport. Ibaka,or any functional seaport is highly critical to our surge. I think equity financing or PPP is th way to go. Sad to live in a country where critical infrastructure are created based on political reasons and not economic rationality. It is well

1 Like

Re: . by Yyeske(m): 12:49am On Apr 22, 2018
Nonsense thread, wished I was here earlier.
Leave Anambra out, you have been warned.

1 Like

Re: . by Xander85: 12:51am On Apr 22, 2018
spyder880:
This thread is dedicated to all our traditional and indigenous entertainers, comedians, musicians, dancers, actors and actresses who has been making is happy from time immemorial. This list is by no means exhaustive, we continue to add names as we remember, both ancient and modern.

The Peackocks international band
Oriental brothers international band
Dr Sir Warrior
Osita Osadebe
Onyeka Onwenu
Semi Colon
Oliver De Coque
Celestine Ukwu
Nelly Uchendu
Gentleman Mike Ejeagha
Morocco Maduka
Ozoemena Nsugbe
Obiligbo
Bright Chimezie
Williams Onyebor
Patty Obasi
Chika Okpala
Gozie Okeke
Phyno
Flavour Nabania
Zoro
B
Pete Edochie
Nkem Owoh
Amaka Igwe
Patience Ozokwor
Nkiru Sylvanus

Spyder, how could you forget Joe Nez?

I make bold to say that Igboland gifted the world (not just Nigeria) the best musicians and songs in the years preceding and just after the uncivil war.

The funny thing is that, with these classic tunes, the older you get is the more you tend to appreciate them. Songs i used to turn my nose up to as a child are songs which i now listen to and marvel at how they were able to craft such evergreen tunes even way back then! Some times i listen to some of these songs and i feel melancholic. sad

1 Echi di ime (Joe Nez)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEO56gRRc9Y

2 Bulie aha gi elu (Joe Nez)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Re2bZFSQIs

3 Landlady (Joe Nez)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJyIWXSlfWo

4 Okwukwe na nchekwube (Celestine Ukwu)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8JL_4C7JRs

6 Likes

Re: . by Handsomegod(m): 12:54am On Apr 22, 2018
Cjrane2:

The steps are.

Still on integrating Seaports to the transport infrastructure,attachd are details of Rotterdam Seaport,which is the largest seaport in Europe and the Potentials of Ibom Seaport. Ibom will be half the size of Rotterdam. Based on the Intel given by my client,60% of Ghana's foreign exchange is generated from Tema Habour! One can imagine the extent of wealt and multiplier effects h a functional seaport can unleash for a highly vibrant,hardworking and uppity race like the Igbos. http://idsp.ak.gov.ng/overview-of-ibom-deep-sea-port.php.https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_of_Rotterdam

1 Like

Re: . by Xander85: 1:13am On Apr 22, 2018
Concerning the talk of linking Alaigbo up with one or two seaports. If Obuakwu can't be a reality for now, we have at least up to four other options to consider, namely Ibom, Calabar, Bayelsa and Port Harcourt. We should think of floating a pan-Igbo investment corporation that will (amongst other briefs it will have) enter into negotiations with at least two of these options, and then extend any railway network built to these ports.

The investment corporation should ensure they are part owners of the ports chosen as its going to be a quid-pro-quo arrangement in which traffic would specifically driven towards these chosen ports.

The finer details can be worked out later, but the idea is that we as a people should not help to create wealth, and others cream off the entire profits as is presently being done in Lagos where the federal and Lagos state gov'ts take all the profits from the ports even though Igbos make up a large percentage of the users.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: . by horsepower101: 1:24am On Apr 22, 2018
spyder880:

How I wish we are still operating regional governments, this region would have been much faster in developing.

My brother this is the main problem we are dealing with. The powers that be hate regionalism. To them it's almost like breaking up the country.
Re: . by Xander85: 1:28am On Apr 22, 2018
Cjrane2:

1. Power plants especially Gas and/or Coal and

2. Regional railway links are what the regional government should find Chinese financiers.

For a Total length of <1,000KM, to link key SE cities to the SS cities, this is a highly bankable venture for any investor.

Every other thing is secondary to these two major things that must happen. A lot has been said about this in numerous threads. I wonder why it has not started.https://www.nairaland.com/3780758/ohanaeze-sets-up-committee-design

CJ', as per the bolded: why they've not started is due to lack of political will on the part of SE Governors; and lack of political will as well as wickedness on the part of the federal gov't. Abuja/APC only talk of returning to Enugu coal when they want to pull wool over our eyes and make it look like industrialisation is moving at breakneck speed in the SE because Buhari loves Igbos. It's the same trick they use on the poor Ogonis' with all the talk of $1 billion oil-spill clean up which is yet to start two years after it was launched.

As per the economic drivers you mentioned in your first paragraph: don't forget to include at least one viable int'l airport in the SE. Access to seaports, access to the ouside world without first having to go through Lagos or Abuja, ease of movement in the region, and adequate/constant power supply to industrial zones in the region...these are the catalysts needed to kick start the regions economic prosperity.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: . by horsepower101: 1:29am On Apr 22, 2018
Xander85:
Concerning the talk of linking Alaigbo up with one or two seaports. If Obuakwu can't be a reality for now, we have at least up to four other options to consider, namely Ibom, Calabar, Bayelsa and Port Harcourt. We should think of floating a pan-Igbo investment corporation that will (amongst other briefs it will have) enter into negotiations with at least two of these options, and then extend any railway network built to these ports.

The investment corporation should ensure they are part owners of the ports chosen as its going to be a quid-pro-quo arrangement in which traffic would specifically driven towards these chosen ports.

The finer details can be worked out later, but the idea is that we as a people should not help to create wealth, and others cream off the entire profits as is presently being done in Lagos where the federal and Lagos state gov'ts take all the profits from the ports even though Igbos make up a large percentage of the users.

I like his idea

1 Like 1 Share

Re: . by Xander85: 2:19am On Apr 22, 2018
Develpeast:

It was a very funny idea when I raised the idea that igbos all over the world and in the different parts of this country need to be levied so as to get the required funds for developing the region because the government do not have enough money to make the project see the limelight. Even if they dare go into these projects, it will be grossly under-funded and it will look like all these secondary school projects. If we really want to make a difference, we need money. I mean plenty money but if we think release 2000 naira only by leviable adults (employed workers and entrepeneurs) to finance projects in the region is making stupid comments, then I have nothing to say about the development of the region.

It is imperative we see these projects as a collective work to make the region more economically viable to enable our businessmen and our talented youths to stay back and improve on our hardwork over time.

Could someone help us crunch the numbers: if all (capable and willing) Igbo adults at home and in diaspora are encouraged to commit to paying in at least 12,000 naira a year for say 10 years, how much do you think could be realised? I personally wouldn't mind committing to 120,000 naira a year for 10 years.

If it's possible, then a platform like say Facebook or twitter (open to members only) could be used to document all contributors so we know how many we are and how much is being raised. The forum will have the states and preferred projects of contributors highlighted. A percentage of contributions could go to the state of origin of the individual contributor, while the rest will be used for pan-Igbo projects like railways, airports, education (scholarships and professorial chair endowments in selected universities) and power plants.

Of course this project would have to be seen to be above board, and would have accomplished and notable Igbo sons and daughters overseeing things.....credible individuals like Emeka Anyaoku, Okonjo-Iweala, Soludo, Bishop Chukwuma Of Enugu, Eze Onyekpere, etc.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: . by Ofodirinwa: 2:20am On Apr 22, 2018
Government will never develop Igboland/Biafra

State, local, federal. Any plan that involves government action is no plan at all. If you yourself are not in the government, to think, plan and hope for the actions of government is an exercise in futility. The type of development that will work for us is one that is holistically private and profit led. Believe it or not, this is the type of development that built the great cities in America, and countless other developed countries. We have the most industrious culture and minds in the world, and this is no accident. We have everything it takes to develop our lands privately through contributions scalabled to each woman or man's capacity and ability.

My posts will highlight how this is possible. We should see government projects as generous add-ons, and not the foundation of our development because we have waiting for 50 years to no avail. Let the meal be severed with or without cake.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: . by Xander85: 2:32am On Apr 22, 2018
spyder880:
Project implementation. ......

I think this is the canal Governor Umahi is constructing in or near Abakaliki, fashioned after a similar one in Disneyland, Florida. It will be used for scenic boat rides and to improve the tourism potentials of the state.

Spyder, i think the pics you posted earlier are of the new ecumenical centre in Abakaliki and not Shoprite. The beginning of the attached video shows a similar structure which they said is going to be the ecumenical centre.

Start video from 11.57 to see them talk of the canal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPS-H6CUe9k

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: . by Ttipsy(f): 2:52am On Apr 22, 2018
my question is about the red earth in the SE cities.. even neat roads are got dirty by such!
wat Is the solution pls

1 Like

Re: . by Ofodirinwa: 3:13am On Apr 22, 2018
Develop your own village

What project of projects have you mapped out for your community? In the time of my great grandfather, building a two storey house was the height of success. Having a two story house spread pride not just within the kindred but the entire community that would celebrate their sons accorlade. Because of this, men in our father's time competed to build their own ulo elu. The race for ulo elu won the legendary thrust of the Igbo mind as the entire nation dedicated itself to building not just ulo elu, but the greatest and most magnificent edifice possible. What's the result?

Today, no where on earth has more mansions per capita in Nigeria, Africa, or the world at large. It's unheard of to have a nation of 40-50 million people were 90% of the new homes being built are mansions. This hasn't been achieved anywhere in human history, and though he hesitate to realize how great the thrust of the igbo mind is, this episode taught me something about us.

Today, ulo elu is normal. Nobody will stop the presses, or sing, or gather around to see your upstairs. It's when you don't build one that people will even start asking questions. We put our minds to it for vain, personal reasons and the results are visible and obvious. What's next for this generation?

Today, when you speak of great men in the east, Innocent Chukwuemeka's name springs up immediately. He doesn't have the biggest house in the land. He's not the richest, and frankly, I don't know anyone that can tell me his chieftaincy name. So what makes his own special?

Innoson has build a factory in his community. Not just a factory, but one doing something as globally ambitious as building cars. Today, Africans as a whole use his name as a source of pride. It has surpassed even the nation the way, in the past, our forefathers surpassed their kindred with their ulo elu.

So do we need to manufacture cars? No. But the truth is in the story. Today, ulo elu is no longer a cause of celebration. Today we're speaking of young men with their own minds and money that are building roads, hospitals, schools, police stations, libraries, laboratories, factories, mechanized plantations and more. Let this generation put the trust of the Igbo will behind projects on a personal level, and the rest will fall in place.

Don't develop your village because it's a good thing to do. When your ungrateful kinsmen show their colors you'll be discouraged and stop. Do it for yourself. Build the village the way your father or uncles built their home. It wasn't a project for the community's betterment. It was for themselves and their children. So that their children will be comfortable in their community. Well, comfort goes beyond the home, right?

Develop your village for you and your children. Nobody else. Don't do it for applause, or praise, or charity. Because our people are ungrateful and envious and this will leave you wondering why you're doing anything for them to begin with if you're not careful. Do it so that your children don't have to go anywhere other than their god given land to develop themselves and their dreams. Give them the community necessary for them to be world class human beings. So that when they leave the community, if they leave, it's a choice, not a prerequisite for their survival and growth.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: . by Ofodirinwa: 3:38am On Apr 22, 2018
You don't need to build and entirely new school, but send your children to school in the village for a few years (if not their whole lives) and upgrade the school their in to world standard. Equip it with computers so that they can compete with the world. Equip it with solar lighting so that teachers can work overtime for them, and criminals won't invade the facility when it's dark. Equip it with sports equipment so that you can discover whether you have the next Okocha or Lebron in your household. Upgrade the facilities in that school so that if they end up in Lagos they'll feel as if they have downgraded.

It's not unrealistic, and it doesn't take anything that won't be accessible to any hardworking man or woman.

Do you have parents in the village? Upgrade the hospitals that will be taking care of them. Send ambulances from oversees, or buy a few from Innoson and donate them to the hospital. Not because you have a good heart, but because you don't want your parents to die before their time. Importantly, so that when you retire, and you have a stroke, it can be attended to. Send dialysis equipment to your local hospitals and help the staff get training. Add cancer wings to your community hospital, pediatric wing so your grandchildren's needs will be met.

If you think only about you and your family, you will live in a developed community within 15-30 years depending on your capacity. What's good is most of the things a society needs is already in our communities but in inferior quality and function. Upgrade their quality and function and you'll cause a revolution. When other see what you're doing, they'll compete with you on that level and your gradual selfish contributions will turn the winds of the Igbo will towards genuinely building a fully developed society

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: . by Ofodirinwa: 3:45am On Apr 22, 2018
When whites came to North America Australia and South Africa, they didn't build schools because they had good hearts or because it was the right thing to do. They built them because they were going to either import their already born children, or give birth in these new lands and wanted them to not have to run back to Europe to have an education. They didn't build hospitals because of charity, the built it so that they themselves wouldn't die needlessly. They built roads because it made it easier for they themselves to make money. Everything that was built 'abroad' was built for person and family reasons, nobody because something wants some sort of macro concept of 'development'

Rich men built Oxford and Harvard because they wanted to put their children there and teach them everything they need to control the wealth they will soon inherit and grow it. They didn't build it because of 'White development', so forget 'Igbo development'

but know this. The earth is all humans have and your land is all you have of this cake. If you neglect it, you're nothing. No matter what you become in someone else's land you'll always be a charming or respected visitor at most. You land is your home, not your house. You must furnish it, keep it clean, hospitable, respectable and livable. You may even want it to be the envy of your neighbors. Nearly everyone leaves their home to make money, which is fine. They go to offices and places of work, they make their money, they return and they increase the livability of that home.

Thing of your travels as work and you community as home. Furnish it, and manage it like a landlord, and stop waiting for the government like a swatter or slum dweller.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: . by Ofodirinwa: 3:50am On Apr 22, 2018
Ttipsy:
my question is about the red earth in the SE cities.. even neat roads are got dirty by such!
wat Is the solution pls

Vegetation. Exposed red earth can be a major environmental hazard. Patching red spots with grass eliminates dust, prevents flooding and purifies the air. Artificial grass (if you must) will combat dust but it won't absorb excess rain water. You can also plant flowers and scrubs. We live in a rainforest, and nature did not design our place to have sparse vegetation

1 Like 1 Share

Re: . by Afam4eva(m): 6:37am On Apr 22, 2018
The truth is, i'm really tired of all this talk and not work. We can talk from now till thy kingdom come, if nobody is willing to do anything, the status quo remains. Unless we start a movement aimed at sensitizing our people. If we can achieve a similar feat to what IPOB did but this time in preaching economics and development, we're halfway to building the Igboland of our dreams.

My immediate dream is for this thread to spiral into a situation where we can build a database of every Igbo person on the forum and then extend it to Facebook and other platforms. We can also go ahead to collect donations no matter how little in furtherance of this noble course.

15 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (732) (Reply)

Yorubas Are The Most Industrious,Richest & Educated Tribe in Nigeria & Africa / Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics / Nairaland Says No To Secessionists

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 114
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.