Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,825 members, 7,806,315 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 02:40 PM

Gani Fawehinmi's Statue At Liberty Park Unveiled By Lagos State Government - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Gani Fawehinmi's Statue At Liberty Park Unveiled By Lagos State Government (24072 Views)

A Bigger Gani Fawehinmi's Statue Erected At Ojota (Photo) / #LagosAt50: Foot-Like Statue At Berger Erected By Lagos State Government / Bola Tinubu Honored With Customized Statue At A Bridge Named After Him In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Gani Fawehinmi's Statue At Liberty Park Unveiled By Lagos State Government by CeoNewshelm(m): 5:18pm On Apr 22, 2018
A new statue of the late legal luminary, Chief Gani Fawehinmi has been unveiled by the Lagos State Government at the ‘Liberty Park’, in Ojota

The unveiling of the statue also coincides with the commemoration of the 80th posthumous birthday of the late icon

The 44-feet edifice symbolises the phenomenon that the rights activist represented in his life time.

The new statue also affirms the present administration’s commitment to celebrate personalities whose action have helped to define the fortune and spirit of Lagos State positively over the years.

http://newshelm.ng/photos-lagos-state-govt-unveils-gani-fawehinmis-statue-at-liberty-park/

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Gani Fawehinmi's Statue At Liberty Park Unveiled By Lagos State Government by Olalan(m): 5:22pm On Apr 22, 2018
An activist who couldn't be bought by any government. I still, maintain the current crop of activist have a price and that just a mere federal or political appointment and they begin to sing a new song.
BTW Femi Falana was supposed to take over from him but seems he lost his voice somewhere somehow

35 Likes

Re: Gani Fawehinmi's Statue At Liberty Park Unveiled By Lagos State Government by danny56: 5:24pm On Apr 22, 2018
Rochas embarassed.....! Come and check if it's original or fake. Lord statue!

25 Likes

Re: Gani Fawehinmi's Statue At Liberty Park Unveiled By Lagos State Government by Nobody: 5:24pm On Apr 22, 2018
Beautiful Lagos

2 Likes

Re: Gani Fawehinmi's Statue At Liberty Park Unveiled By Lagos State Government by Omololu2121: 5:25pm On Apr 22, 2018
Beautiful

He shall never be forgotten, he was a brave man.

19 Likes

Re: Gani Fawehinmi's Statue At Liberty Park Unveiled By Lagos State Government by seunmsg(m): 6:07pm On Apr 22, 2018
Olalan:
An activist who couldn't be bought by any government. I still, maintain the current crop of activist have a price and that just a mere federal or political appointment and they begin to sing a new song.
BTW Femi Falana was supposed to take over from him but seems he lost his voice somewhere somehow

Femi Falana never lost his voice at any time. He is still as consistent as ever in his fight against corruption and bad government and also in his fight for the protection of human rights.

It is easier to be a human right activist and social crusader during military regime as it is the people versus the military. In democracy, it's a different kettle of fish entirely. Once an activist start criticising a failing government, the government and its supporters would accuse him/her of working for the opposition. Such is the case of people like Femi Falana, Oby Ezekwesili, Wole Soyinka etc who spoke against the corruption of the GEJ government and till today, the wailing supporters of Jonathan still goes about abusing them for speaking truth to power.

75 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Gani Fawehinmi's Statue At Liberty Park Unveiled By Lagos State Government by Bolustical: 6:09pm On Apr 22, 2018
yessss

1 Like

Re: Gani Fawehinmi's Statue At Liberty Park Unveiled By Lagos State Government by Westbestside: 6:15pm On Apr 22, 2018
As a member of developer's association of yeastern Nigeria, this statue of greatest lawyer of Yoruba extraction pain my Igbo wella o. Chinedu, which one should I call ragos, no man's land or biniland. You know we are always confuse just cos we don't want these great Yoruba to own their land.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Gani Fawehinmi's Statue At Liberty Park Unveiled By Lagos State Government by Diiet: 6:27pm On Apr 22, 2018
Westbestside:
As an member of developer's association of yeastern Nigeria, this status of greatest lawyer of Yoruba extraction pain my Igbo wella o. Chinedu, which one should I call ragos, no man's land or biniland. You know we are always confuse just cos we don't want these great Yoruba to own their land.

This is marginalisation.
We are only seeing statues of great yoruba men like pa awolowo, fela, gani fawehinmi etc.
When are we going to start seeing the statues of men from the tribe that always call lagos no man's land?

3 Likes

Re: Gani Fawehinmi's Statue At Liberty Park Unveiled By Lagos State Government by ishowdotgmail(m): 7:00pm On Apr 22, 2018
This statue is greater than Ojukwu and Nnamdi Kanu joined together

9 Likes

Re: Gani Fawehinmi's Statue At Liberty Park Unveiled By Lagos State Government by IME1: 7:01pm On Apr 22, 2018
cheesy
Well deserved
He was truly a great man

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Gani Fawehinmi's Statue At Liberty Park Unveiled By Lagos State Government by millomaniac: 7:01pm On Apr 22, 2018
Now thats how to build a statue. cheesy

3 Likes

Re: Gani Fawehinmi's Statue At Liberty Park Unveiled By Lagos State Government by oluwasegun007(m): 7:01pm On Apr 22, 2018
Kudos....thank God dem Don commot the wolo wolo statue wey dey there b4.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Gani Fawehinmi's Statue At Liberty Park Unveiled By Lagos State Government by Nobody: 7:01pm On Apr 22, 2018
grin
They should have consulted Okorocha... See as the statue now look like Babalawo undecided

6 Likes

Re: Gani Fawehinmi's Statue At Liberty Park Unveiled By Lagos State Government by somto10: 7:01pm On Apr 22, 2018
Westbestside:
As an member of developer's association of yeastern Nigeria, this status of greatest lawyer of Yoruba extraction pain my Igbo wella o. Chinedu, which one should I call ragos, no man's land or biniland. You know we are always confuse just cos we don't want these great Yoruba to own their land.
bro abeg get sense

1 Like

Re: Gani Fawehinmi's Statue At Liberty Park Unveiled By Lagos State Government by Raydos: 7:02pm On Apr 22, 2018
C
Re: Gani Fawehinmi's Statue At Liberty Park Unveiled By Lagos State Government by popsyleo1: 7:02pm On Apr 22, 2018
Better than what Rochas did

1 Like

Re: Gani Fawehinmi's Statue At Liberty Park Unveiled By Lagos State Government by Nobody: 7:04pm On Apr 22, 2018
Westbestside:

God see english
#LazyYouth undecided

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Gani Fawehinmi's Statue At Liberty Park Unveiled By Lagos State Government by SmartMugu: 7:04pm On Apr 22, 2018
How does this look nothing like Gano Fayehinmi? Na bricklayer build this statue?
Re: Gani Fawehinmi's Statue At Liberty Park Unveiled By Lagos State Government by dignity33: 7:05pm On Apr 22, 2018
Diiet:

This is marginalisation.
We are only seeing statues of great yoruba men like pa awolowo, fela, gani fawehinmi etc.
When are we going to see the statue of a man from the tribe that always call lagos no man's land?

the problem with Yoruba is tribalism is in there blood.

2 Likes

Re: Gani Fawehinmi's Statue At Liberty Park Unveiled By Lagos State Government by Nobody: 7:06pm On Apr 22, 2018
dignity33:

Another #LazyYouth
See English undecided

6 Likes

Re: Gani Fawehinmi's Statue At Liberty Park Unveiled By Lagos State Government by Newpride(m): 7:07pm On Apr 22, 2018
When Chief Gani's 14-year old first child asked for his dad's support to go to the Nigeria Defence Academy taking the NDA's form to his father to sign, Chief Gani left the form, reached for the cane and flogged the young man for planning to join his tormentors.

From Kaduna prison to Jos prison, from Gombe prison to portharcourt prison, from Kuje prison to Ikoyi prison, Chief Gani Fawehinmi was the most jailed human right activist from Nigeria.
For raising his voice against injustice, his books were confiscated, his library set ablaze, his house and chambers were always raided and he was assaulted on Mobolaji Bank Anthony Way in Lagos by Naval officers.
His travails from security agents never dissuaded him from defending the poor and the weak in the society.

"I defended the students of University of Ibadan in 1971 when one of the students, Kunle Adepeju, was shot dead by the police under Gowon’s regime and the government of the day set up a Commission of enquiry headed by Justice B. O. Kazim and I represented the students for 5 months in that tribunal of enquiry. In 1976, I defended the students of University of Benin against the wrath of the military government. In 1983, under Shehu Shagari, there was a peaceful demonstration by more than 4000 students of the University of Maiduguri against the misdirected high handedness of the leadership of Professor Jubril Aminu, (former Nigerian Ambassador to the U.S.) Several students were expelled and their education illegally truncated. I fought to the Supreme Court to obtain victory. This is just to mention few of my struggles for justice." Gani recalled.

They always came for him. He was arrested on his 50th birthday.

"I witnessed one of the times they came to arrest him in the house. They were about armed 20 policemen. It was as if they were coming to take a criminal and they brought a big Black Maria. He told them, ‘Gentlemen how are you? Are you ready?’ He told my mum to take care of us and he followed them" His daughter, Idiat recalled.

Due to incessant arrest Chief Gani always kept a bag with toothpaste, toothbrush and the Qur'an with him-always ready for jail.

When he was asked the possibility of defending Ralph Uwazurike he said:

"If am approached by Uwazurike to take up his case, I will fly straight to wherever he is or, if I cannot go there by air, I will go there by road. If I cannot go there by road, I will trek to defend his right to hold an opinion because freedom of speech is a fundamental right. Because he has the right to pursue any objective and if they feel that his objective is criminal, then he has the right to defend himself in the court of law and we shall defend the issue of his fundamental rights"

Chief Gani was Unbiased, detribalized and unsentimental patriot. When her own daughter was working in his Chambers, she either resumed before/at 7am or be locked outside the gate like every latecomer.

Chief Gani's lung began to deteriorate while doctors were busy focusing on his heart and blood pressure. It got so bad that he called his cardiologist, Dr Mike Fadayomi, his childhood friend from the age of four. He is one of the best cardiologist in this world. He directed Chief Gani to a radiologist to do the X-ray first. When he (radiologist) came with the wet X-ray and showed it to Gani and Fadayomi, the cardiologist shouted;

"Gani something dangerous is wrong with your left lung. You must run to London. I don't understand this"

When Chief Gani got to London the doctors told him that he was among the 5% patients in the world who don't smoke or drink and yet had lung cancer.
Gani narrated his ordeals to the doctors in London and one of them hinted that his "horrible detention" must have triggered the lung failure.
The human right activist was asked to prepare for the worst and Gani wept.

To prevent politicians from "hijacking" his burial, Gani bought his casket while alive and made cash available for his funeral with instructions to his children about how he liked his funeral to be.

Chief Gani Fawehinmi literally lost his voice to the ravaging lung cancer before his Sun finally set on 9th September 2009. And Nigeria hasn't been able to find a replacement for that voice of justice and courage till date.

Let's celebrate another selfless Nigerian
A legal icon
A symbol of justice
And OUR HERO.
He would have be 80years old today.

52 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Gani Fawehinmi's Statue At Liberty Park Unveiled By Lagos State Government by 9gerian: 7:08pm On Apr 22, 2018
Gani The "SENIOR ADVOCATE OF THE MASSES (SAM)". What a vacuum cry

CeoNewshelm:
A new statue of the late legal luminary, Chief Gani Fawehinmi has been unveiled by the Lagos State Government at the ‘Liberty Park’, in Ojota

The unveiling of the statue also coincides with the commemoration of the 80th posthumous birthday of the late icon

The 44-feet edifice symbolises the phenomenon that the rights activist represented in his life time.

The new statue also affirms the present administration’s commitment to celebrate personalities whose action have helped to define the fortune and spirit of Lagos State positively over the years.

http://newshelm.ng/photos-lagos-state-govt-unveils-gani-fawehinmis-statue-at-liberty-park/

2 Likes

Re: Gani Fawehinmi's Statue At Liberty Park Unveiled By Lagos State Government by Kabasa333: 7:09pm On Apr 22, 2018
Nice one
Re: Gani Fawehinmi's Statue At Liberty Park Unveiled By Lagos State Government by annexworld(m): 7:09pm On Apr 22, 2018
Nice One. He deserves it. Memories

Get an office space for as low as 1800 in the heart of Abuja.https://theabujaoffice.ng

1 Like

Re: Gani Fawehinmi's Statue At Liberty Park Unveiled By Lagos State Government by Ayobami7(m): 7:10pm On Apr 22, 2018
Great lawyer

1 Like

Re: Gani Fawehinmi's Statue At Liberty Park Unveiled By Lagos State Government by OmoOshodi(m): 7:13pm On Apr 22, 2018
The statue looks like Ju mong. ... Chinese war lord

2 Likes

Re: Gani Fawehinmi's Statue At Liberty Park Unveiled By Lagos State Government by Oloripelebe: 7:14pm On Apr 22, 2018
grin

Moshood kashimawo Abiola statue loading grin
Re: Gani Fawehinmi's Statue At Liberty Park Unveiled By Lagos State Government by 86bee(f): 7:14pm On Apr 22, 2018
A big thank you to Lagos state for doing ds to honour my uncle, d late icon.

3 Likes

Re: Gani Fawehinmi's Statue At Liberty Park Unveiled By Lagos State Government by Diiet: 7:16pm On Apr 22, 2018
dignity33:
and you Nairaland igbos are being civil by calling lagos no man's land?

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Gani Fawehinmi's Statue At Liberty Park Unveiled By Lagos State Government by Whothecapfits: 7:28pm On Apr 22, 2018
Seeing Femi Falana paying his respect not minding their difference of opinion most atimes when alive.

It's worthy a commendations, very unlike my people from other end who unhealthy rivalry is their identity.

3 Likes

Re: Gani Fawehinmi's Statue At Liberty Park Unveiled By Lagos State Government by Petersaints: 7:28pm On Apr 22, 2018
all of them na the same..OLE

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

"2019 Election Will Be Inconclusive" – Abdulrahman Mohammed, Ex-Spy Chief / INEC Declares Umaru Fintiri Winner Of Adamawa Governorship Election / Amaechi: We Begged Niger Republic To Construct Railway For Them

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.