Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,787 members, 7,798,642 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 07:44 AM

How Sir Ahmadu Bello Was Killed - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How Sir Ahmadu Bello Was Killed (3875 Views)

See What Yahaya Bello Was Caught Doing After Supreme Court Judgement (watch) / Femi Fani-Kayode: "Sir Ahmadu Bello Didn't Like Luxury; He Loved Them" / VIDEO: See How Kogi Gov. (yahaya Bello) Was Stoned In His State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Sir Ahmadu Bello Was Killed by Nobody: 7:53am On Apr 23, 2018
Idris, who was personal secretary to the late Ahmadu Bello, recalled how Kaduna Nzeogwu, a major at the time, killed the premier of the defunct northern region in the ill-fated January 15, 1966 coup.

The product of the University of Leeds,UK, narrated. “On the evening before the tragedy, on the 14th of January, 1966, at about 8:00pm, late Prime Minister Sir Abubakar Tafawa Balewa called and wanted to speak to the late Premier. He was free, so I put him through. Afterwards, the Premier called me and he said he wanted to know the extent of his indebtedness to shops where we used to collect things, like Kingsway, Bhojson’s, et cetera, where we had account.

“At about noon, he called me and his ADC, Aliyu Kangiwa – who is still alive – and asked us to go round to see his new office, so the three of us went. Generally, he was happy with it. Earlier, he had been told that the Premier of the West, Samuel Akintola, was coming to see him but the arrival was still some time away. So he decided not to go to the airport and went to the mosque for Friday prayers, after sending a minister to receive S. L Akintola. All this was during Ramadan.

“At about 3:00 pm, we were told that Premier of the West had arrived and was on his way to General Usman Hassan Katsina House in Kawo, which was meant to be the Sardauna’s new official residence and office. When he arrived with his entourage, I remember Remi Fani-Kayode was with him, as well as other ministers.

“Akintola said he had come to see the Premier and to find out from him whether he was aware that the army would take over the government the following day. The Sardauna said he heard about it but has left everything in the hands of God.

“Akintola then said he had come with a plane, so they could go some place like neighbouring Niger, where his best friend was then the president. The Premier rejected it and said those who were asking for the government’s removal did not bring it to power in the first place. He said ‘I won’t leave my people in their hour of need to run away and take shelter somewhere else’. He then advised Akintola that since he was certain that it was going happen, to go back to his people and brief them to get prepared to fight. Akintola took the Premier’s advice and returned to Ibadan.”

Idris said after Akintola left, it was too late for Bello to go and play his favourite game, Fives. He then decided to drive around the GRA and Kaduna south before Iftar time — the breaking of Ramadan fast.

“We got into a car, one of the long ones with seats facing each other. It was driven by Alhaji Ali Kwarbai (Ali Sarkin Mota), the Sardauna’s chief driver. He was with his friends and I sat facing them. We were not discussing anything and the driver just drove around and later returned home just in time for the breaking of the fas,” he said.

“You have to understand the work of the Premier then was a 24-hour affair, no Saturdays or Sundays off. If we left our homes in the mornings, we normally returned after midnight and that is why most of our children at that time didn’t even know who we were. We were out of our houses by 5:00 am because we couldn’t afford to go to the Premier a minute late.

UNUSUAL MOVEMENTS

“Later that night, after breaking of the day’s fast, the famous musician, Dan Kwairo, was around till about 10.30 pm, as he had come to entertain the Premier. Of course we were tired and grumbling but there was nothing we could do. He played till about 11:30 pm when suddenly the late Alhaji Ali Akilu, who was the Secretary to the Northern regional government, then-Commissioner of Police M.D Yusuf and Brigadier-General Samuel Ademulegun, all three of them, came and went straight to the office asking to see the Premier. The Premier, sighting them, left us and decided to go and meet them. They met for about half an hour, then they left.

“When the Premier came out, Dan Kwairo was still playing but he called it a night and went upstairs to write his Sallah address and go to bed, as we were to go to Sokoto the following morning. We were chatting and noticed it was getting late and the Premier had still not sent for us, so we decided to go home.
When we came out, we were not aware that by then soldiers had already taken position around the compound. I was living at Doka Crescent then and as I left the Sardauna’s house, a siren blared.

“We used to test it from time to time to see if it was working and I thought that was what was going on. But then I saw the then-deputy Commissioner of Police, an Idoma man whose name escapes me, heading in the direction of the Premier’s house, as did late Haruna Musa, the Principal Secretary’s security detail. But I went home, as I didn’t think there was any problem.

“Abubakar Umar, the Sardauna’s Private Secretary, who was on a visit from Kano and was accommodated in the guest wing of the house, heard a loud noise and saw the chaos from his room with soldiers everywhere. He quickly called the Private Secretary to the Premier, Ali Akilu who told him what was happening, that it was perhaps a coup. Akilu quickly dressed up and drove to M.D. Yusuf’s house. Five minutes after he left, soldiers stormed his own house and asked after him but his wife told them he went to Zaria for a meeting, so they left. The telephone call by Umar saved him.”

He said there was nobody else in the house

Major Chukwuma Kaduna Nzeogwu had all of the Premier’s wives, servants and wards brought out and asked them to sit down on the floor. Nzeogwu himself demanded to know who Ahmadu Bello was and there was a resident of the house who looks a little like the late Premier but wasn’t as tall. He came out and said he was the one, but they knew he wasn’t. The soldiers said if they were not told who Ahmadu Bello was in the group, they would shoot everyone.

“The Premier, who was among them, got up and said ‘I’m the one you’re looking for’, prompting his three wives to come to his side, distraught. When the soldiers were about to kill the Sardauna, two of the wives stood up, leaving the first wife who said if they must kill him, then they must kill them together. He was shot, along her, as they embraced each other. They left the body where we found it.

“The whole place was deserted. All the ministers had left. We decided that the best thing was to get his body removed to the house of the Sultan of Sokoto in Ungwan Sarki. When we did, it was prepared for burial and that was where he was buried.”
Re: How Sir Ahmadu Bello Was Killed by Paperwhite(m): 8:09am On Apr 23, 2018
undecided
Re: How Sir Ahmadu Bello Was Killed by Bruno3000(m): 8:22am On Apr 23, 2018
It was a neccessary kill. That man was evil* nice one kd.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Sir Ahmadu Bello Was Killed by Aaronzy: 9:15am On Apr 23, 2018
Bruno3000:
thankGod for Ty Danjuma and Murtala Mohammed

3 Likes

Re: How Sir Ahmadu Bello Was Killed by Nobody: 9:16am On Apr 23, 2018
Back to Daura

5 Likes

Re: How Sir Ahmadu Bello Was Killed by tribalmall: 9:22am On Apr 23, 2018
Aaronzy:
thankGod for Ty Danjuma and Murtala Mohammed

Thank them n God for paying the foolish coup plotters in kind.

2 Likes

Re: How Sir Ahmadu Bello Was Killed by adadike(f): 10:34am On Apr 23, 2018
That woman that died with him, if he truly loved you, he wouldn't have married another after you.
Re: How Sir Ahmadu Bello Was Killed by Malawian(m): 10:39am On Apr 23, 2018
victoruchenna1:
Idris, who was personal secretary to the late Ahmadu Bello, recalled how Kaduna Nzeogwu, a major at the time, killed the premier of the defunct northern region in the ill-fated January 15, 1966 coup.

The product of the University of Leeds,UK, narrated. “On the evening before the tragedy, on the 14th of January, 1966, at about 8:00pm, late Prime Minister Sir Abubakar Tafawa Balewa called and wanted to speak to the late Premier. He was free, so I put him through. Afterwards, the Premier called me and he said he wanted to know the extent of his indebtedness to shops where we used to collect things, like Kingsway, Bhojson’s, et cetera, where we had account.

“At about noon, he called me and his ADC, Aliyu Kangiwa – who is still alive – and asked us to go round to see his new office, so the three of us went. Generally, he was happy with it. Earlier, he had been told that the Premier of the West, Samuel Akintola, was coming to see him but the arrival was still some time away. So he decided not to go to the airport and went to the mosque for Friday prayers, after sending a minister to receive S. L Akintola. All this was during Ramadan.

“At about 3:00 pm, we were told that Premier of the West had arrived and was on his way to General Usman Hassan Katsina House in Kawo, which was meant to be the Sardauna’s new official residence and office. When he arrived with his entourage, I remember Remi Fani-Kayode was with him, as well as other ministers.

“Akintola said he had come to see the Premier and to find out from him whether he was aware that the army would take over the government the following day. The Sardauna said he heard about it but has left everything in the hands of God.

“Akintola then said he had come with a plane, so they could go some place like neighbouring Niger, where his best friend was then the president. The Premier rejected it and said those who were asking for the government’s removal did not bring it to power in the first place. He said ‘I won’t leave my people in their hour of need to run away and take shelter somewhere else’. He then advised Akintola that since he was certain that it was going happen, to go back to his people and brief them to get prepared to fight. Akintola took the Premier’s advice and returned to Ibadan.”

Idris said after Akintola left, it was too late for Bello to go and play his favourite game, Fives. He then decided to drive around the GRA and Kaduna south before Iftar time — the breaking of Ramadan fast.

“We got into a car, one of the long ones with seats facing each other. It was driven by Alhaji Ali Kwarbai (Ali Sarkin Mota), the Sardauna’s chief driver. He was with his friends and I sat facing them. We were not discussing anything and the driver just drove around and later returned home just in time for the breaking of the fas,” he said.

“You have to understand the work of the Premier then was a 24-hour affair, no Saturdays or Sundays off. If we left our homes in the mornings, we normally returned after midnight and that is why most of our children at that time didn’t even know who we were. We were out of our houses by 5:00 am because we couldn’t afford to go to the Premier a minute late.

UNUSUAL MOVEMENTS

“Later that night, after breaking of the day’s fast, the famous musician, Dan Kwairo, was around till about 10.30 pm, as he had come to entertain the Premier. Of course we were tired and grumbling but there was nothing we could do. He played till about 11:30 pm when suddenly the late Alhaji Ali Akilu, who was the Secretary to the Northern regional government, then-Commissioner of Police M.D Yusuf and Brigadier-General Samuel Ademulegun, all three of them, came and went straight to the office asking to see the Premier. The Premier, sighting them, left us and decided to go and meet them. They met for about half an hour, then they left.

“When the Premier came out, Dan Kwairo was still playing but he called it a night and went upstairs to write his Sallah address and go to bed, as we were to go to Sokoto the following morning. We were chatting and noticed it was getting late and the Premier had still not sent for us, so we decided to go home.
When we came out, we were not aware that by then soldiers had already taken position around the compound. I was living at Doka Crescent then and as I left the Sardauna’s house, a siren blared.

“We used to test it from time to time to see if it was working and I thought that was what was going on. But then I saw the then-deputy Commissioner of Police, an Idoma man whose name escapes me, heading in the direction of the Premier’s house, as did late Haruna Musa, the Principal Secretary’s security detail. But I went home, as I didn’t think there was any problem.

Bello told Nzeogwu: “I am the one you are looking for”

“Abubakar Umar, the Sardauna’s Private Secretary, who was on a visit from Kano and was accommodated in the guest wing of the house, heard a loud noise and saw the chaos from his room with soldiers everywhere. He quickly called the Private Secretary to the Premier, Ali Akilu who told him what was happening, that it was perhaps a coup. Akilu quickly dressed up and drove to M.D. Yusuf’s house. Five minutes after he left, soldiers stormed his own house and asked after him but his wife told them he went to Zaria for a meeting, so they left. The telephone call by Umar saved him.”

He said there was nobody else in the house.

“There was another body, that of one of his wives who was killed along with him. You know Major Chukwuma Kaduna Nzeogwu had all of the Premier’s wives, servants and wards brought out and asked them to sit down on the floor. Nzeogwu himself demanded to know who Ahmadu Bello was and there was a resident of the house who looks a little like the late Premier but wasn’t as tall. He came out and said he was the one, but they knew he wasn’t. The soldiers said if they were not told who Ahmadu Bello was in the group, they would shoot everyone.

“The Premier, who was among them, got up and said ‘I’m the one you’re looking for’, prompting his three wives to come to his side, distraught. When the soldiers were about to kill the Sardauna, two of the wives stood up, leaving the first wife who said if they must kill him, then they must kill them together. He was shot, along her, as they embraced each other. They left the body where we found it.

“The whole place was deserted. All the ministers had left. We decided that the best thing was to get his body removed to the house of the Sultan of Sokoto in Ungwan Sarki. When we did, it was prepared for burial and that was where he was buried.”
What kind of fukery write up is this? So Nzeogwu was planing a coup andcould not personally identify Ahmadu Bello? Someone who was born and grew up in Kaduna himself?

8 Likes

Re: How Sir Ahmadu Bello Was Killed by Nobody: 11:05am On Apr 23, 2018
The plotters of the January 1966 coup planned to release Awolowo, then imprisoned after being convicted of coup plotting and put him in Tafawa Balewa's post. What a pity!
Re: How Sir Ahmadu Bello Was Killed by Nobody: 11:07am On Apr 23, 2018
Malawian:

What kind of fukery write up is this? So Nzeogwu was planing a coup andcould not personally identify Ahmadu Bello? Someone who was born and grew up in Kaduna himself?
Let me tell how to find out; Go back to 1966 using a time machine and then ask him yourself

3 Likes

Re: How Sir Ahmadu Bello Was Killed by Nobody: 11:09am On Apr 23, 2018
BACK TO DAURA

3 Likes

Re: How Sir Ahmadu Bello Was Killed by gidgiddy: 12:13pm On Apr 23, 2018
tribalmall:

Thank them n God for paying the foolish coup plotters in kind.

All the coup plotters, Nzeogwu, Ademoyega, Gbulie, Ifeajuna and others all escaped to the East fought in the civil war.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Sir Ahmadu Bello Was Killed by sparog(m): 12:31pm On Apr 23, 2018
Old wound
Re: How Sir Ahmadu Bello Was Killed by Nobody: 12:34pm On Apr 23, 2018
gidgiddy:

All the coup plotters, Nzeogwu, Ademoyega, Gbulie, Ifeajuna and others all escaped to the East fought in the civil war.
Nzeogwu lost his life during the war; he was killed in Nsukka
Re: How Sir Ahmadu Bello Was Killed by jordyspices: 1:28pm On Apr 23, 2018
Egberi papa aka linus mba
Re: How Sir Ahmadu Bello Was Killed by T9ksy(m): 2:22pm On Apr 23, 2018
Bruno3000:

@ bolded............i guess it's simply a case of perception.

To the ibos and their nefarious agenda concerning the northern region, he was "evil". However, to his people, he was the epitome of a great leader who looked out for their wellbeing during the turbulent times in that part of the world.

He stood by his people till death came calling rather than running away to ostensibly "fight" again.

To his people, he was a true HERO but evil to his tranducers

He said ‘I won’t leave my people in their hour of need to run away and take shelter somewhere else’.

7 Likes

Re: How Sir Ahmadu Bello Was Killed by oyatz(m): 3:10pm On Apr 23, 2018
Nooooo, they lived in a different era with a cultural worldview that's different from ours.

The concept of 'love and marriage' varies from times to times and places to places.

Its very difficult to see Nigerians especially Hausa-Fulani aristocrates, who married (in the 1930s) as strictly monogamists.

Oba Adeniran Adeyemi, the Alaafin of Oyo who reigned between 1945-1955 ( the father of the incumbent Alaafin, Oba Adeyemi-111) married 200 wives!

adadike:
That woman that died with him, if he truly loved you, he wouldn't have married another after you.

1 Like

Re: How Sir Ahmadu Bello Was Killed by QuotaSystem: 3:37pm On Apr 23, 2018
Too bad it set the stage for an avoidable massacre in a civil war that claimed over 3 million lives.

No wonder Sardauna is honoured greatly to this day. What a Legend. I never knew Akintola offered to fly him away to safety in Niger, but he decided to die for his people like a man instead of enjoying Pizza in a neighboring African country.

His legacy lives forever.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Sir Ahmadu Bello Was Killed by olasco18(m): 4:05pm On Apr 23, 2018
adadike:
naso fat full ur brain.....
Re: How Sir Ahmadu Bello Was Killed by APCsupporter: 4:19pm On Apr 23, 2018
They introduced coup detat to Nigeria and now they want presidency. You must pay for the sins of your foolish bloodthirsty forefathers

1 Like

Re: How Sir Ahmadu Bello Was Killed by Nobody: 4:45pm On Apr 23, 2018
yet some said nzeogwu grew up in the sarduanas house smh
Re: How Sir Ahmadu Bello Was Killed by Pierohandsome: 4:51pm On Apr 23, 2018
grin
Re: How Sir Ahmadu Bello Was Killed by sulakishop(m): 6:06pm On Apr 23, 2018
Good
Re: How Sir Ahmadu Bello Was Killed by ItsMeAboki(m): 6:32pm On Apr 23, 2018
Bruno3000:

And since then his cold blooded killers and all their generations have been cursed to never find peace - and so it is to date.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Sir Ahmadu Bello Was Killed by Balyz: 7:27pm On Apr 23, 2018
Bruno3000:
For that one man killed 50,000 ibos lost their lives in the ensuing pogrom. Now tell me who lost more?

4 Likes

Re: How Sir Ahmadu Bello Was Killed by T9ksy(m): 7:40pm On Apr 23, 2018
^^^^^^ I guess the life Ahmadu Bello is worth 50,000 ibo lives.
Re: How Sir Ahmadu Bello Was Killed by ChidiAlaigbo: 7:49pm On Apr 23, 2018
APCsupporter:
They introduced coup detat to Nigeria and now they want presidency. You must pay for the sins of your foolish bloodthirsty forefathers

Cc Imhotep LZAA Onyeara

1 Like

Re: How Sir Ahmadu Bello Was Killed by rainylad(f): 7:50pm On Apr 23, 2018
ItsMeAboki:

And since then his cold blooded killers and all their generations have been cursed never find peace - and so it is to date.

Abokkiii,no one has peace in Nigeria,not even you so stop deceiving yourself..

Nigeria never had peace right from its fraudulent creation by Lord Lugard so what are you saying?,..we are all witness to the degenerative state of Nigeria and her citicizens since the end of the civil war..Its a matter of time before the country packs up..fact.

2 Likes

Re: How Sir Ahmadu Bello Was Killed by LZAA: 7:58pm On Apr 23, 2018
ChidiAlaigbo:

Cc Imhotep LZAA Onyeara
grin grin

Re: How Sir Ahmadu Bello Was Killed by LZAA: 8:00pm On Apr 23, 2018
victoruchenna1:

UNUSUAL MOVEMENTS

He said there was nobody else in the house

Major Chukwuma Kaduna Nzeogwu had all of the Premier’s wives, servants and wards brought out and asked them to sit down on the floor. Nzeogwu himself demanded to know who Ahmadu Bello was and there was a resident of the house who looks a little like the late Premier but wasn’t as tall. He came out and said he was the one, but they knew he wasn’t. The soldiers said if they were not told who Ahmadu Bello was in the group, they would shoot everyone.

but but but delta is SS and SS is not igbo nahgrin grin grin
Re: How Sir Ahmadu Bello Was Killed by Guestlander: 8:50pm On Apr 23, 2018
QuotaSystem:
Too bad it set the stage for an avoidable massacre in a civil war that claimed over 3 million lives.

No wonder Sardauna is honoured greatly to this day. What a Legend. I never knew Akintola offered to fly him away to safety in Niger, but he decided to die for his people like a man instead of enjoying Pizza in a neighboring African country.

His legacy lives forever.

These men knew they could be killed and still didn't rush to the borders. I give it to them that they were indeed brave. Azikiwe was already far away from Africa for " medical checkup"

3 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (Reply)

Resident Of Ekiti In Wild Jubilation Over Fayemi's Victory (photos) / Nnamdi Kanu Reacts To Court Order For His Arrest / Sowore: President Buhari Booed By Nigerians In London (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.