Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,613 members, 7,781,967 topics. Date: Saturday, 30 March 2024 at 06:43 AM

Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... - Autos (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... (26043 Views)

Insurance Services: Get Your Motor Insurance/renewal Within 5mins / Contact Us For Your Motor Spare Parts Such As Toyota,nissan,honda, Etc / How Your Motor Fluids Can Get You Killed... Must Read!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (22) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by MotorGuru: 8:15pm On Apr 29, 2018
Kashif:

This may be an electrical issue. 50% of auto gear issues are external to it.

Trust me on this sir... That loud bang at high speed, stuck on gear 3( limp mode), no forward gears imply a defective valve body. But that loud bang at top speed may have destroyed that transmission. The Hyundai 6 speed transmission early models was kind of known of such unfortunate situation ( although this occurrence was very few)

1 Like

Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by MotorGuru: 8:17pm On Apr 29, 2018
kenobi007:
Pls I need ur expert opinion. As a first time buyer should I buy a Honda 08 whose only problem is to service the engine nozzle

What specific model of Honda are you referring to sir?
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:24pm On Apr 29, 2018
MotorGuru:

Sorry boss... That gear is gone.. Prepare for a replacement. Where are you located?

Cc. Kashif

gear might still be in excellent working condition.

If the vehicle throws a camshaft/crank sensor code, car goes into limp mode and gets stuck in 3rd gear, same thing if if the transmission fuse blows or its relay malfunctions. I think user should post the scan code before we jump into conclusions.

Kia/hyundai have very solid transmissions.

4 Likes

Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by MotorGuru: 8:39pm On Apr 29, 2018
AlphaT1:

hyundai Tucson SUV 2013 model; the gear is not selecting, the electrician said it's the sensor which he changed to a new one but yet it's still not selecting. What could be the issue?
MotorGuru:

question sir, did you at anytime experience a huge jerk at high speed before this happened? Did your gear indicator indicate being stuck in gear 4 when put in manual mode? Is it only engaging in reverse? Has your fliud ever being changed( and what was its condition? Black?) Do you hear whining noise when drive or reverse is selected and you rev the car?
Finally, you may need to scan the vehicle to ascertain the real cause... Pls let me know of any of these ever happened.
AlphaT1:

Yes the jerk at high speed happened while travelling,
it's stuck on gear 3 in manual mode,
yes it's engaging well in reverse,
the fluid has never been changed, the Mechanic checked its condition ad said it was ok.
There is no whining noise neither in drive nor reverse mode.
The vehicle was scanned and according to the electrician it was the gear sensor that was bad and he replaced it but the issue still persists.
GAZZUZZ:

gear might still be in excellent working condition.

If the vehicle throws a camshaft/crank sensor code, car goes into limp mode and gets stuck in 3rd gear, same thing if if the transmission fuse blows or its relay malfunctions. I think user should post the scan code before we jump into conclusions.

Kia/hyundai have very solid transmissions.

Sir, it is not.

The customer confirmed that there was a loud bang at top speed, and a loud bang denotes a serious mechanical issue may have occurred in the transmission already, caused by a defective valve body. All forward gears may have been lost (except gear 3) as a result. This was very peculiar to early models of the 2011 KIA optima which used the 6 speed auto atic transmission ( A6MF1/A6LF1) transmission I mentioned the KIA optima because it has the same transmission design, as many of the KIA/ Hyundai products introduced from 2011 up. The original cause of this problem was the valvebody but this ended up destroying the transmission itself. Fortunately it was only to a few examples and failure rate was not

high.https://forums.edmunds.com/discussion/13960/kia/optima/2011-kia-optima-transmission-failure

That said, save these few glitches, the transmission has proven to be very reliable as you rightly said.

1 Like

Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by kenobi007(m): 10:44pm On Apr 29, 2018
MotorGuru:

What specific model of Honda are you referring to sir?

Accord. Evil spirit
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by MotorGuru: 11:02pm On Apr 29, 2018
kenobi007:

Accord. Evil spirit

I believe you mean the car has a misfire issue.
Has this been verified that it is the injector nozzle? If yes then it can be easily be replaced.

aside this, the accord of this generation is very reliable( particularly the 4 cylinder version).

But please before you buy, ensure you have a professional pre purchase inspection, to save you the stress of future car troubles.
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by deavicky(m): 11:20pm On Apr 29, 2018
My Honda CRV 2000 model has k leg. What do I do about it.
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by adejide2: 11:21pm On Apr 29, 2018
Good day sir, my Mitsubishi gallant station wagon 1998 has refused to throttle inspire of all effort by various rewire. Engine light is on, shake when gear is on drive in slow motion. New fuel pump , eflow meter has bough and fixed. The brain box has checked and worked upon and confirmed okay. Still the problem persit. Please what do think could be wrong with the car. Thanks.
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by GAZZUZZ(m): 11:27pm On Apr 29, 2018
MotorGuru:

Sir, it is not.

The customer confirmed that there was a loud bang at top speed, and a loud bang denotes a serious mechanical issue may have occurred in the transmission already, caused by a defective valve body. All forward gears may have been lost (except gear 3) as a result. This was very peculiar to early models of the 2011 KIA optima which used the 6 speed auto atic transmission ( A6MF1/A6LF1) transmission I mentioned the KIA optima because it has the same transmission design, as many of the KIA/ Hyundai products introduced from 2011 up. The original cause of this problem was the valvebody but this ended up destroying the transmission itself. Fortunately it was only to a few examples and failure rate was not

high.https://forums.edmunds.com/discussion/13960/kia/optima/2011-kia-optima-transmission-failure

That said, save these few glitches, the transmission has proven to be very reliable as you rightly said.

Carry on brother, we are all learning. wink

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by sylvesu: 11:55pm On Apr 29, 2018
gear box of my 2004 toyota rav4 sluggishly engage drive. gear box and brain box changed, car worked briefly but lead to another problem. a/c stopped working while engine vibrate while in traffic. Pls advice.
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by MotorGuru: 12:02am On Apr 30, 2018
adejide2:
Good day sir, my Mitsubishi gallant station wagon 1998 has refused to throttle inspire of all effort by various rewire. Engine light is on, shake when gear is on drive in slow motion. New fuel pump , eflow meter has bough and fixed. The brain box has checked and worked upon and confirmed okay. Still the problem persit. Please what do think could be wrong with the car. Thanks.
I would suspect the following:
1. EGR valve
2. Ignition coils, nozzles and plugs
3. MAF sensor.

I would have said scan the car but, oh well grin
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by MotorGuru: 12:04am On Apr 30, 2018
deavicky:
My Honda CRV 2000 model has k leg. What do I do about it.

Front? Rear? Both?
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by GAZZUZZ(m): 12:09am On Apr 30, 2018
MotorGuru:

1. EGR valve
3. MAF sensor.

I would have said scan the car but, oh well grin

It's a GDI. wink always centered around fuel pressure and TPS.
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by MotorGuru: 12:14am On Apr 30, 2018
sylvesu:
gear box of my 2004 toyota rav4 sluggishly engage drive. gear box and brain box changed, car worked briefly but lead to another problem. a/c stopped working while engine vibrate while in traffic. Pls advice.

For the gear: what kind of ATF are you using? It must be Toyota Type T-IV I would really doubt the brainbox issue affecting the gear.( This is a 2004 model, so should not have the legendary ECU problem) What should have been done is an ECU reset.

So, are you saying the ECU swap solved the Gear engagement problem and caused another (ac operation)?

1 Like

Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by adejide2: 12:17am On Apr 30, 2018
[quote author=MotorGuru post=67142503]
1. EGR valve
3. MAF sensor.

I would have said scan the car but, oh well grin[/quote

I have bought new plugs, ignition coils still OK, nozzles are OK. I am not sure if not 1&3 have been checked but I will do that tomorrow. thanks.
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by MotorGuru: 12:28am On Apr 30, 2018
GAZZUZZ:

It's a GDI. wink always centered around fuel pressure and TPS.

Quite possible sir. Although the GDI was available in its 1.8L engine, it was one out of the various engine options offered for this model year( the rest being MPI). The poster can give us the privilege of providing specific engine type installed on his engine in order to provide detailed online advice.
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by Jasonudo: 12:37am On Apr 30, 2018
Greetings sir. Please what is your take on 2010 VW Tiguan? Economy? Ruggedness? Costs? Thanking you
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by MotorGuru: 9:23am On Apr 30, 2018
Jasonudo:
Greetings sir.
Please what is your take on 2010 VW Tiguan? Economy? Ruggedness? Costs?
Thanking you

Nice SUV. Not your typical rav4, as it is equipped with a TSI turbo engine( 1.4L or 2.0L)
Let us ignore the diesels.
Smart maintenance is key. Fuel economy is superb for a compact SUV.
cost of running is not bad, but it is higher than your typical japmobiles
ruggedness? it will not withstand abuse ( i mean using wrong oils, quack mechanics,killer rewires etc)
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by Jasonudo: 10:23am On Apr 30, 2018
MotorGuru:

Nice SUV. Not your typical rav4, as it is equipped with a TSI turbo engine( 1.4L or 2.0L)
Let us ignore the diesels.
Smart maintenance is key. Fuel economy is superb for a compact SUV.
cost of running is not bad, but it is higher than your typical japmobiles
ruggedness? it will not withstand abuse ( i mean using wrong oils, quack mechanics,killer rewires etc)
Good morning Sir.
Thank you.
In your opinion, Sir you tip the 2006 Lexus RX 330 over the 2010 VW Tiguan?
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by Zane2point4(m): 10:54am On Apr 30, 2018
MotorGuru:
Here for free consultation

Good morning sir, i must commend you for your nice works on this forum, it's very very insightful and concise.

i need your help, i Really love the "2008 or 2009 honda accord" (evil spirit) but so many people advised me not to go for it intead i should go for the more durable 08 toyota.

my question goes thus, is the 08 honda difficult and expensive to maintain?

how is the fuel consumption?

is the parts costly?

thanks.
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by MotorGuru: 1:19pm On Apr 30, 2018
Zane2point4:

Good morning sir, i must commend you for your nice works on this forum, it's very very insightful and concise.

i need your help, i Really love the "2008 or 2009 honda accord" (evil spirit) but so many people advised me not to go for it intead i should go for the more durable 08 toyota.

my question goes thus, is the 08 honda difficult and expensive to maintain?

how is the fuel consumption?

is the parts costly?

thanks.

Very nice and sporty sedan( compared to the camry)
Not difficult to maintain( particularly the 4 cylinder version)
Fuel consumption is very reasonable
Parts? well they are available. Costly? it depends on your financial standing
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by Zane2point4(m): 1:38pm On Apr 30, 2018
MotorGuru:

Very nice and sporty sedan( compared to the camry)
Not difficult to maintain( particularly the 4 cylinder version)
Fuel consumption is very reasonable
Parts? well they are available. Costly? it depends on your financial standing

nice analysis, i can maintain it, the question should be how often does it need maintenance, well thanks so much.
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by MotorGuru: 4:19pm On Apr 30, 2018
Zane2point4:

nice analysis, i can maintain it, the question should be how often does it need maintenance, well thanks so much.

Just your normal scheduled maintenance: Oil changes and whatnot...

1 Like

Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by MotorGuru: 10:41pm On Apr 30, 2018
cheesy

1 Like

Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by MotorGuru: 9:12am On May 01, 2018
Happy new month people!
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by MotorGuru: 3:36pm On May 01, 2018
smiley
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by MotorGuru: 7:57am On May 02, 2018
your inquires here
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by J0hnTrevolt(m): 9:54am On May 02, 2018
Nice job u r doing MotorGuru. Plz my question is this. Between front and rear shock absorber which is more important to replace in a situation where both are worn out and money no too dy to replace both.
Tnx
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by MotorGuru: 11:15am On May 02, 2018
J0hnTrevolt:
Nice job u r doing MotorGuru. Plz my question is this. Between front and rear shock absorber which is more important to replace in a situation where both are worn out and money no too dy to replace both.
Tnx
Thank you sir.

Shock absorbers are usually wear items, meaning that over time, they become weak ( particularly when the vehicle is subjected to harsh terrains).
Due to the fact the engine in most cars are placed in front of the vehicle, the shock absorbers in front are the most utilized compared to the ones at the rear (for vehicles not used for utility purposes). So the front ones should wear out more quickly than the rear and can therefore be replaced first.

If all shock absorbers are bad, it is in my opinion to replace all, as it is very important to the handling characteristics of the vehicle during acceleration, cornering and braking.

2 Likes

Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by MotorGuru: 2:27pm On May 02, 2018
cheesy
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by Jasonudo: 1:12am On May 03, 2018
Jasonudo:

Good morning Sir.
Thank you.
In your opinion, Sir you tip the 2006 Lexus RX 330 over the 2010 VW Tiguan?
Sir?
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by kenedy175(m): 10:33am On May 03, 2018
Hello! Please I'm looking for someone capable of reprogramming my transponder key to the ecu. The vehicle is a Cadillac cts 2006, obviously American. Car wouldn't crank or start. Thanks

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (22) (Reply)

Toyota Camry 1996 model 2door clean and neat with ac and automatic for sale, call me 08032210506 / 2009 Infinity Fx50 / 2015 Model Hyundai Sonata Sportz Toks Good Deal

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.