Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,863 members, 7,806,451 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 04:43 PM

Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... - Car Talk (27) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... (62005 Views)

You Shouldn’t Own A Car If You Are A Tenant — Financial Guru Advises Nigerians / Buy & Fix Your Motor Windscreen / Ask your Mechanic ! ! ! Thread (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) ... (34) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by k12cambel(f): 9:10pm On Nov 09, 2019
Hello Gurus. Thanks for creating this section. Please i have an issue that have been giving me sleepless nights. I have a toyota corolla 2009, 1.8ltr with 89,000 miles. The car works perfect and the engine is very neat however i recently changed the gasket due to overheating that was caused by a leaking radiator. Now i hear a grinding sound when i start the car first thing in the morning and also when i accelerate as if the timing chain wants to pull from the bottom of the engine. The car doesnt smoke but it sometimes lost power alittle when i drive. Also i saw tiny pieces of metal today in my oil filter.

I was told to the engine has to be taken apart for them to view the crankshaft and metal.
NOW MY QUESTION IS THIS.
1) will the engine remain the same is any of this is changed or should i start looking for money to get a new engine
2) is this something i can possibly manage for a while.

3) i was told that once an engine is open, the engine is half gone, please how true is this?

The car was a direct toks and its barely a year with me. Also i will appreciate if i can get referrals to a good engine mechanic in lagos as long as i can have peace of mind.
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by paix(m): 10:31pm On Nov 09, 2019
A car that is parked for over 2 years, what are the necessary things to check before hitting the road.
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by GAZZUZZ(m): 11:12pm On Nov 09, 2019
k12cambel:
Hello Gurus. Thanks for creating this section. Please i have an issue that have been giving me sleepless nights. I have a toyota corolla 2009, 1.8ltr with 89,000 miles. The car works perfect and the engine is very neat however i recently changed the gasket due to overheating that was caused by a leaking radiator. Now i hear a grinding sound when i start the car first thing in the morning and also when i accelerate as if the timing chain wants to pull from the bottom of the engine. The car doesnt smoke but it sometimes lost power alittle when i drive. Also i saw tiny pieces of metal today in my oil filter.

I was told to the engine has to be taken apart for them to view the crankshaft and metal.
NOW MY QUESTION IS THIS.
1) will the engine remain the same is any of this is changed or should i start looking for money to get a new engine

3) i was told that once an engine is open, the engine is half gone, please how true is this?

The car was a direct toks and its barely a year with me. Also i will appreciate if i can get referrals to a good engine mechanic in lagos as long as i can have peace of mind.

Replace engine
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by radautoworks: 11:21am On Nov 10, 2019
k12cambel:

NOW MY QUESTION IS THIS.

Most likely connecting rod bearing. Will have to take it out to verify.
1) Cheaper to fix than replace
2) NO
3) NOT TRUE. Only if you have someone who doesn't know what they're doing. If done right, will be warrantied at least 6 months to a year and if it had no problems will last a LONG time.
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by Durchmann(m): 11:31am On Nov 10, 2019
Hmmm...
How do vehicles just purchased less than a year from the abroad go into overheating issues so fast?

I guess a Kazeem and owner negligence are responsible. undecided

1 Like

Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by myners007: 11:38am On Nov 10, 2019
Good day Guru,pls can I get a good Nigerian used 2008 Camry with a budget of 1m
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by nonhuman(m): 12:14pm On Nov 19, 2019
I want to fill my coolant tank, I want to know if I should mix with water or or just pour in only the coolant in the coolant tank
Please help, Car gurus

Also I do observe a pound-like noise when I change gear to Drive, please what should I check
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by ojeysky(m): 6:15pm On Nov 23, 2019
mammanbawa:

I want to know if this issue was resolved please
Cos I'm eyeing a Corolla

It could be engine oil that is due for change of you believe that is not the case then you can simply reset the maintenance required countdown. It shows that when you drive 4 to 5k miles
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by Amypriti(f): 8:44pm On Nov 23, 2019
Please I need help with the best car to buy based on durability and fuel efficiency

Hyundai elantra 2007/2008
Honda civic 2006 upwards

Going for a nigeria used based on my budget

Please need advise for the one to go for

Thank you!
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by Oyinda06: 5:21am On Nov 24, 2019
Pls car guru ,my Serena bus engine is smoking and it consumes a lot of fuel and oil,my mechanic said I should change the engine ,pls do u know the idea of the cost?
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by ojeysky(m): 5:38pm On Nov 24, 2019
Amypriti:
Please I need help with the best car to buy based on durability and fuel efficiency

Hyundai elantra 2007/2008
Honda civic 2006 upwards

Going for a nigeria used based on my budget

Please need advise for the one to go for

Thank you!

I hear Civic is a better choice in terms of maintenance and durability

1 Like

Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by tjshamtip: 10:26am On Nov 25, 2019
Good morning, Please I need help with my Honda civic 92. It doesn't start in the morning, we have to push it everyday, and after driving for a while it may start and sometimes it may not. It gives me a long cranking like there's no fuel in the car. The return from fuel pump is strong so i ruled it out. I changed fuel pressure regulator but still the problem persist. Please I need suggestions on what to do.
Thanks.
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by AutoMoTech(m): 1:31pm On Nov 25, 2019
tjshamtip:
Good morning, Please I need help with my Honda civic 92. It doesn't start in the morning, we have to push it everyday, and after driving for a while it may start and sometimes it may not. It gives me a long cranking like there's no fuel in the car. The return from fuel pump is strong so i ruled it out. I changed fuel pressure regulator but still the problem persist. Please I need suggestions on what to do.
Thanks.
confirm do you have ignition spark, fuel supply and good air supply to engine during cranking?

1 Like

Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by AutoMoTech(m): 1:37pm On Nov 25, 2019
myners007:
Good day Guru,pls can I get a good Nigerian used 2008 Camry with a budget of 1m
yes ofcourse. the price of both toks and naija used camry "muscle/voltron" has dropped drastically...
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by AutoMoTech(m): 1:39pm On Nov 25, 2019
Oyinda06:
Pls car guru ,my Serena bus engine is smoking and it consumes a lot of fuel and oil,my mechanic said I should change the engine ,pls do u know the idea of the cost?
if your desire is to use that vehicle for the long term, changing that engine for a good clean tokunbo would definitely be your best option. your current engine is weak, rigning it might work but just for short term.
get the cost of ringing and also the cost of getting toks... comapare and make your decision.
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by Netgid(m): 6:39pm On Nov 25, 2019
Good day house my Mazda refused to on , I called the mechanic after doing everything from changing the plug to cleaning the tank still it refused to start,

And he called a motor electrician after checking he said that I will reprogramme the brainbox and change the sensor ,still after changing and reprogramming the brainbox it still refused to start all my money is wasted on that car but it still adamant , and the car is still new don't know what to do again about three mechanic has touched it still the problem is there.
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by nurey(m): 10:18pm On Nov 25, 2019
Netgid:
Good day house my Mazda refused to on , I called the mechanic after doing everything from changing the plug to cleaning the tank still it refused to start,

And he called a motor electrician after checking he said that I will reprogramme the brainbox and change the sensor ,still after changing and reprogramming the brainbox it still refused to start all my money is wasted on that car but it still adamant , and the car is still new don't know what to do again about three mechanic has touched it still the problem is there.

Whenever you are asking for help, always be thorough with your explanation.

we don't know the Mazda model year, we don't know the Mazda model, we don't know the Engine type. You didn't tell us the event that led to the troubles, what was each mechanic diagnosis we don't know.

we are humans here not magicians, if you need help, start from the beginning and give detailed information, when I say beginning I don't mean beginning of evolution please grin summarize last time you used the car and what led to the wahala

4 Likes

Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by belcheck: 9:00am On Nov 26, 2019
Pls I need advice;
Which is the best option ? New RAV4 shocks or Tokunbo

I was also advised to get the tokunbo then have mechanic switch parts to repair what got bad in the current one

Thnx
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by Macemy(m): 11:32pm On Nov 26, 2019
Please Toyota big daddy users ..what is the best engine oil for Toyota Camry 2003 2Az_Fe Engine

I recently scanned my 2003 Toyota Camry 4 plugs Engine with my ObD 2 Bluetooth autoscanner and the following
Fault code came up
My check engine light is on and also the oil level light

Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by eyinola: 11:21am On Nov 27, 2019
Please which one is better and economical btw Toyota Camry LE,SE,XLE
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by radautoworks: 9:41pm On Nov 27, 2019
eyinola:

They are the same car. Just cosmetic differences. SE consumes a little more fuel
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by eyinola: 9:59pm On Nov 27, 2019
radautoworks:

They are the same car. Just cosmetic differences. SE consumes a little more fuel
Thanks
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by MotorGuru: 7:42am On Dec 04, 2019
mammanbawa:

I want to know if this issue was resolved please
Cos I'm eyeing a Corolla
A very good car
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by MotorGuru: 7:44am On Dec 04, 2019
eyinola:

Which model year?

Please note that depending on model year, we have 3 engine types:

1. a V6 engine
2. an Inline 4 cylinder engine
3. An inline 4 cylinder engine with hybrid system

No. 3 is the most fuel efficient. No.2 is the best compromise of the 3.
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by eyinola: 11:30am On Dec 04, 2019
MotorGuru:

Which model year?

Please note that depending on model year, we have 3 engine types:

1. a V6 engine
2. an Inline 4 cylinder engine
3. An inline 4 cylinder engine with hybrid system

No. 3 is the most fuel efficient. No.2 is the best compromise of the 3.
2007 V4 engine SE
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by DonJiano: 11:44pm On Dec 28, 2019
I have Hyundai Accent 2008, my car goes off atimes while driving even in the middle of the road/highway. I’ll pull over and wait (about 10mins) before starting again. Initially I thought it’s fuel pump… But I’ve replaced the pump 3x within 2months. please what Could be the problem?
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by radautoworks: 6:25am On Dec 29, 2019
DonJiano:
I have Hyundai Accent 2008, my car goes off atimes while driving even in the middle of the road/highway. I’ll pull over and wait (about 10mins) before starting again. Initially I thought it’s fuel pump… But I’ve replaced the pump 3x within 2months. please what Could be the problem?

Again, take out somewhere else. Your mechanic is the problem.

Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by tojahh(m): 8:06am On Dec 29, 2019
I have an Hyundai Elantra 2008. The acceleration is not proportional to its speed. When you accelerate, the car drags and never goes above 80km/h. At a point you'd hear a cranking sound from the engine.
Yes there's enough oil as it was serviced about 3weeks ago. Please what is the issue with it. Help a bro.

Radautoworks
Gazzuzz
AutoMotech
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by nonhuman(m): 4:51pm On Jan 09, 2020
tojahh:
I have an Hyundai Elantra 2008. The acceleration is not proportional to its speed. When you accelerate, the car drags and never goes above 80km/h. At a point you'd hear a cranking sound from the engine.
Yes there's enough oil as it was serviced about 3weeks ago. Please what is the issue with it. Help a bro.

Radautoworks
Gazzuzz
AutoMotech
I will like to hear the answer to this
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by ayo2008: 8:59pm On Jan 09, 2020
Hello sir, have issues with my Honda civic automatic 2003 model. I discover that the D light on the dashboard blinks and due to this whenever the car finds it difficult to accelerate on hilly place and taking off when there is need for me to stop seems difficult as u have to accelerate hard.
Wnt to scan the car and the rewire man who is good too said from the readings, the TPS (Throttle position sensor) has gone bad. I just wondered if the reason for the D blinking was due to fault in TPS?
Try reading on TPS online and its faulty symptoms but know saw D blinking as part of the D light blinking as part of the symptoms of faulty TPS . pls need advice
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by radautoworks: 8:23am On Jan 10, 2020
tojahh:

Radautoworks
Gazzuzz
AutoMotech

Need more detail or to see the car... Noise could be it losing power but have to hear or to have an idea..
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by tojahh(m): 9:44am On Jan 10, 2020
radautoworks:

Need more detail or to see the car... Noise could be it losing power but have to hear or to have an idea..

Problem actually solved.

(1) (2) (3) ... (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) ... (34) (Reply)

Can You Enter This Kind Of Bus With Your Clear Eyes? (photo) / A Look At 2019 Armoured Mercedes-Maybach S560,Official Car Of President Buhari / This Is What Happens When You Buy A Car To Impress The Society

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.