Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,296 members, 7,808,007 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:37 AM

Is Qualcomm Snapdragon Chip Overrated? - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Is Qualcomm Snapdragon Chip Overrated? (9276 Views)

Apple A14 Bionic Chip Loses Out To Qualcomm's Snapdragon 865+ Soc In Antutu Benc / Qualcomm Snapdragon: All You Need To Know. / Infinix Hot 6 Pro Review: Affordable Bezel-less Beauty With Snapdragon Chip (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Qualcomm Snapdragon Chip Overrated? by Nobody: 10:07am On Apr 23, 2018
Just like everything American, I really think Qualcomm Snapdragon chipset is overrated, and ain't any better than Taiwanese Mediatek chip! I came to this conclusion haven used smartphones running both chipset, from low end to high end devices. And my observation, in the low level devices Mediatek beats Snapdragon hands down in efficiency, power saving and overall performance. What's your experience, pls share?

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Qualcomm Snapdragon Chip Overrated? by henry007(m): 10:12am On Apr 23, 2018
Only in Africa lol

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is Qualcomm Snapdragon Chip Overrated? by Nobody: 10:24am On Apr 23, 2018
Also, in the high end segment Snapdragon isn't recording any major leap as latest chipsets from Mediatek can stand toe-to-toe with latest Snapdragon chipsets.

2 Likes

Re: Is Qualcomm Snapdragon Chip Overrated? by Nobody: 1:43pm On Apr 23, 2018
Any different opinion is welcome! As even Qualcomm inroad to PC chips has been a disaster.

Read more: https://www.questechie.com/2018/04/microsoft-arm64-developer-kit.html
Re: Is Qualcomm Snapdragon Chip Overrated? by daamazing(m): 5:59pm On Apr 23, 2018
I can't believe what i just read.!

10 Likes

Re: Is Qualcomm Snapdragon Chip Overrated? by EarthXmetahuman: 6:15pm On Apr 23, 2018
Although snapdragon is overrated, but it is better than mediatek.

5 Likes

Re: Is Qualcomm Snapdragon Chip Overrated? by Nobody: 6:30pm On Apr 23, 2018
EarthXmetahuman:
Although snapdragon is overrated, but it is better than mediatek.
Any substantial experience to prove that snapdragon is indeed better, other than what we read on those sponsored pages, as you know Qualcomm is a heavy advertiser, of which I'm also a beneficiary, but won't mind telling the truth.
Re: Is Qualcomm Snapdragon Chip Overrated? by CONFAMA: 8:54pm On Apr 23, 2018
Snapdragon na just fancy name and class e get. It is practically not so much different and definitely not any more effective than MTK. In fact I prefer MTK because it's much more versatile for example... editing of imei...

4 Likes

Re: Is Qualcomm Snapdragon Chip Overrated? by Ovie56(m): 10:20pm On Apr 23, 2018
questechie:
Also, in the high end segment Snapdragon isn't recording any major leap as latest chipsets from Mediatek can stand toe-to-toe with latest Snapdragon chipsets.
SD845 is actually very fast and i agree that there is hype.. 90% of phone users don't do things that are too demanding on the chips.. we use it for long hours but really the things we do like WhatsApp Internet youtube Snapchat taking pics listening to music can be done effectively with mtk.. how many people edit 4k videos and stuffs on phone.. even if they do it's occasional

7 Likes

Re: Is Qualcomm Snapdragon Chip Overrated? by tidedroid: 10:27pm On Apr 23, 2018
questechie:
Just like everything American, I really think Qualcomm Snapdragon chipset is overrated, and ain't any better than Taiwanese Mediatek chip! I came to this conclusion haven used smartphones running both chipset, from low end to high end devices. And my observation, in the low level devices Mediatek beats Snapdragon hands down in efficiency, power saving and overall performance. What's your experience, pls share?
the problem is people are always trying to compare mediatek midrange chips with Qualcomm flagship chips.for instance the helio x20 could be found on phones that cost lower than 200dollars but everywhere u look people were always comparing it to sd820.technically mediatek chips are usually as powerful as Qualcomm midrange chips which they are priced to compete against but not as powerful as qualcomms flagship chips which are priced above them.this year though the helio p60 is already more powerful than SD 636 but there are no phones with helio p70 to be compared to sd660 for now

1 Like

Re: Is Qualcomm Snapdragon Chip Overrated? by georgeben205(m): 11:24pm On Apr 23, 2018
daamazing:
I can't believe what i just read.!
Too many lost souls that needs redemption cry the op need special deliverance sha lipsrsealed

8 Likes

Re: Is Qualcomm Snapdragon Chip Overrated? by georgeben205(m): 11:24pm On Apr 23, 2018
CONFAMA:
Snapdragon na just fancy name and class e get. It is practically not so much different and definitely not any more effective than MTK. In fact I prefer MTK because it's much more versatile for example... editing of imei...
You my friend is lost man. And you ha e zero idea about the snapdragon chipset

1 Like

Re: Is Qualcomm Snapdragon Chip Overrated? by CONFAMA: 11:48pm On Apr 23, 2018
georgeben205:
You my friend is lost man. And you ha e zero idea about the snapdragon chipset

u can't state your opinion without insult as if na ur father own Snapdragon?

16 Likes

Re: Is Qualcomm Snapdragon Chip Overrated? by daamazing(m): 11:57pm On Apr 23, 2018
georgeben205:
Too many lost souls that needs redemption cry the op need special deliverance sha lipsrsealed
grin
George is noobgrin
Re: Is Qualcomm Snapdragon Chip Overrated? by Nobody: 12:56am On Apr 24, 2018
I've been in the computer field for a long time and I know snap dragon chip beats mtk, but everything has grade you know, there could be more powerful mtk chips (which are rarely used on affordable devices l) but for all we know I've tested the snapdragon and it's powerful man, Samsung company which is the main user of this chip knows why the put it there, it has quality and no one can mess with your information like changing of imei and all that stuff which makes their phones traceable if it's gets lost or stolen, it's also why most high graphics games are mostly optimized for Samsung devices (new playstore app optimization feature), so my man in terms of quality snapdragon beats mtk, tho Mtk as I can say is the second best after snapdragon because of its flexibility and if you notice most cheap devices come with mtk, Arm cortex and below

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is Qualcomm Snapdragon Chip Overrated? by Nobody: 4:37am On Apr 24, 2018
georgeben205:
I don't normally attack a nobody, but your arrogance seems unquantifiable!

4 Likes

Re: Is Qualcomm Snapdragon Chip Overrated? by Nobody: 4:40am On Apr 24, 2018
Tochyodiks:
I've been in the computer field for a long time and I know snap dragon chip beats mtk, but everything has grade you know, there could be more powerful mtk chips (which are rarely used on affordable devices l) but for all we know I've tested the snapdragon and it's powerful man, Samsung company which is the main user of this chip knows why the put it there, it has quality and no one can mess with your information like changing of imei and all that stuff which makes their phones traceable if it's gets lost or stolen, it's also why most high graphics games are mostly optimized for Samsung devices (new playstore app optimization feature), so my man in terms of quality snapdragon beats mtk, tho Mtk as I can say is the second best after snapdragon because of its flexibility and if you notice most cheap devices come with mtk, Arm cortex and below
Good observation, most cheap devices come with mtk, not that they aren't good to be cheap, snapdragon is overhyped, overrated and over priced.

1 Like

Re: Is Qualcomm Snapdragon Chip Overrated? by giftedben: 7:42am On Apr 24, 2018
Once it's a USA company everyone believes it's a top notched company with a bragging reputation.
Just like the name Taiwanese company makes everyone believe is a substandard company with a bad reputation.

Snapdragon chips have their flaws, So as MediaTek chips.

I tend to prefer MediaTek chips to Snapdragon chips cos time and time again I see the same flaws in snapdragon chip that I have always seen over the years.

Still can't believe some Snapdragon chip can't play Dream league soccer flawlessly.
Example is the qualcomm snapdragon 210/212 4 Cores.
and the heat issues.

3 Likes

Re: Is Qualcomm Snapdragon Chip Overrated? by Nobody: 8:20am On Apr 24, 2018
questechie:

I take it you do not play games because if you did, you would know the difference Snapdragon is highly optimized for gaming unlike MediaTek. All 3d benchmarks are usually topped by SD chips not MTK unless the complex high-end chip. If you check their page, they have alot of SDK support for 3rd party apps to juice up performance. Outside gaming yep it might be overrated

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Qualcomm Snapdragon Chip Overrated? by Dam5reey(m): 10:26am On Apr 24, 2018
questechie:

Good observation, most cheap devices come with mtk, not that they aren't good to be cheap, snapdragon is overhyped, overrated and over priced.

What is this one saying ?

Who is hyping snapdragon processors, How is it overrated, overpriced..

Make a constructive arguments with examples. Then I will quote you again..
Re: Is Qualcomm Snapdragon Chip Overrated? by Dam5reey(m): 10:27am On Apr 24, 2018
pcguru1:

I take it you do not play games because if you did, you would know the difference Snapdragon is highly optimized for gaming unlike MediaTek. All 3d benchmarks are usually topped by SD chips not MTK unless the complex high-end chip. If you check their page, they have alot of SDK support for 3rd party apps to juice up performance. Outside gaming yep it might be overrated

Good job,

This is an example of constructive arguments.. not this one beats that sad

1 Like

Re: Is Qualcomm Snapdragon Chip Overrated? by physise(m): 11:36am On Apr 24, 2018
Technical aspect of things

Snapdragon-Open source. Custom roms can easily be compiled from source and it's usually bug free

MediaTek-Closed source.Not friendly to custom roms and roms are usually ported with bugs

In terms of manufacturing process, gpu and cpu, snapdragon takes the lead and it's not Overrated.
Re: Is Qualcomm Snapdragon Chip Overrated? by jetz(m): 12:30pm On Apr 24, 2018
qualcomm is d best then kirin then mtk.....if u wan argue argue

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Qualcomm Snapdragon Chip Overrated? by Nobody: 12:56pm On Apr 24, 2018
Op read This and draw your conclusions, it's from quora and we all know quora gives detailed and intelligent answers https://www.quora.com/Which-chip-set-is-better-MediaTek-Intel-Atom-or-Snapdragon?_e_pi_=7%2CPAGE_ID10%2C3447142086

1 Like

Re: Is Qualcomm Snapdragon Chip Overrated? by georgeben205(m): 2:08pm On Apr 24, 2018
daamazing:
grin
George is noobgrin
Them two don provoke lol grin nablingos cheesy cheesy
Re: Is Qualcomm Snapdragon Chip Overrated? by georgeben205(m): 2:11pm On Apr 24, 2018
daamazing:
grin
George is noobgrin
you haven't been on WhatsApp for 2 days now lipsrsealed lipsrsealed wetyn happen
Re: Is Qualcomm Snapdragon Chip Overrated? by jetz(m): 2:56pm On Apr 24, 2018
Tochyodiks:
Op read This and draw your conclusions, it's from quora and we all know quora gives detailed and intelligent answers https://www.quora.com/Which-chip-set-is-better-MediaTek-Intel-Atom-or-Snapdragon?_e_pi_=7%2CPAGE_ID10%2C3447142086
let them see for emself

Which chip set is better, MediaTek, Intel Atom or Snapdragon?
Well, Inorder to find out which chipset is better among the three chipsets, first of all we need to know how these chipsets are different from each other.

Now, let me explain them in detail

1.) Mediatek:

It is a Taiwanese company. It uses more cores in it's processors(like octa core,hexa core,deca core).

Battery Life:

The mediatek chipsets are known to be more power draining and results in less battery life.Now they are optimizing their processors to be more power efficient but still lags behind their competetion in terms of battery life.

Performance:

Performance wise their processors are very good.Due the availability of extra cores,mediatek processors can handle intensive and heavy tasks and they are very good at multi-tasking.But we can see all this practically if we have sufficient Ram.Yes more cores demand more Ram to give best performance.

Heating Problem

Now coming to the heating problem. All the processors deliver heat while performing tasks. Mediatek processors deliver more heat(more cores=more heat) than the others.

Graphics:

Coming to graphics,Mediatek employs Mali graphics which is a third party graphics vendor(So graphics architectue is different from cpu and its performance may not match with cpu). It is really important to match the performances of cpu and gpu(graphics) so that the whole chipset performs efficiently and effectively.

2.)Snapdragon:

Snapdragon chipsets are manufactured by Qualcomm (American) company.

Snapdragon chipsets are not only just CPU's they incorporate other many processors in their chipsets.This is the main difference between Snapdragon and other chipsets.

Snapdragon chipsets are named as SoC's(System on chip) which means their chipsets(SoC's) have a CPU,GPU(Adreno Graphics),Image processor,Media processor,DSP(Digital Signal Processor),Cellular Modem unit,Wifi Modue,Radio Module,GPS Module,...etc. All these modules and Processors are inside of a snapdragon chip.Yes they incorporated all these things inside their chips.Hence their chips are costly.

Battery Life:

Snapdragon chipsets are best in terms of power efficiency compared to all other chipsets.

Performance:

Performance wise they perform really well. In multi-tasking,gaming,handling heavy and intensive tasks they are very good.

Heating Problem:

Snapdragon Processors generally deliver less heat compared to Mediatek and Intel Atom(Except the Snapdragon 810 Chipset-that faced many heating issues.)

Graphics:

Coming to graphics, they manufacture their own graphics called Adreno Graphics and incorporate into their chips. So here the performance of cpu and gpu are matched.

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Qualcomm Snapdragon Chip Overrated? by centitan(m): 11:53pm On Apr 26, 2018
jetz:
qualcomm is d best then kirin then mtk.....if u wan argue argue
where you put the processor used on the iPhone ,Samsung exynos nko?
For me
1. Apple A series processor
2.Snapdragon
3. Exynos,Kirin
5 MediaTek

1 Like

Re: Is Qualcomm Snapdragon Chip Overrated? by jetz(m): 12:13am On Apr 27, 2018
centitan:

where you put the processor used on the iPhone ,Samsung exynos nko?
For me
1. Apple A series processor
2.Snapdragon
3. Exynos,Kirin
5 MediaTek
to me exynos and snapdragon re d same o cos dy copy each other...but iphone chip were no get open source wetin person wan use am do its of no use having speed but cant tweak nor customize

1 Like

Re: Is Qualcomm Snapdragon Chip Overrated? by typicalgamer(m): 1:55am On Apr 27, 2018
jetz:
to me exynos and snapdragon re d same o cos dy copy each other...but iphone chip were no get open source wetin person wan use am do its of no use having speed but cant tweak nor customize

take note Samsung company are the ones who make apple chip set

2 Likes

Re: Is Qualcomm Snapdragon Chip Overrated? by Nobody: 5:25am On Apr 27, 2018
physise:
Technical aspect of things

Snapdragon-Open source. Custom roms can easily be compiled from source and it's usually bug free

MediaTek-Closed source.Not friendly to custom roms and roms are usually ported with bugs

In terms of manufacturing process, gpu and cpu, snapdragon takes the lead and it's not Overrated.
Snapdragon always beats mtk on papers, but in actual performance tests, it's a different game altogether!

Re: Is Qualcomm Snapdragon Chip Overrated? by Nobody: 5:28am On Apr 27, 2018
More performance test, below!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The End Of Blackberry Internet Service (BIS) By Network Providers / (hot) How To Get Free 4GB Data On Airtel Sim Now! / My Top 10 Smartphones For 2010: For Now.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.