Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,362 members, 7,800,731 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 04:13 AM

Why Are Middle Class Nigerians Relocating To Canada? - Travel (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Why Are Middle Class Nigerians Relocating To Canada? (13019 Views)

Lagos - Calabar Coastal Highway Includes Railway Tracks In The Middle / Sinkhole Appears In The Middle Of A Road In Ogbor Hill, Aba, After Heavy Rain / Why Are Middle Class Nigerians Relocating To Canada? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are Middle Class Nigerians Relocating To Canada? by Ugosample(m): 5:41am On Aug 18, 2018
Electroweb:
...but what kind of jobs do these middle class nigerians that were earning well, do when they get to Canada? I hope its not Uber, Mcdonalds and the likes.
it does not matter

Their kids will have a shot at a better life, that's what matters.
Most immigrant migrate for their kids, not them

Nigeria has NO FUTURE.

Can't you see it?

7 Likes

Re: Why Are Middle Class Nigerians Relocating To Canada? by AngelicBeing: 5:42am On Aug 18, 2018
Ugosample:

it does not matter

Nigeria has NO FUTURE.

Can't you see it?
cool
Re: Why Are Middle Class Nigerians Relocating To Canada? by Ugosample(m): 6:22am On Aug 18, 2018
Saintp:

Black people are too self centered, you just confirmed it and this is why we can't develop as a nation. We care only about ourselves, ourselves and ourselves with no regard to others and the larger society.

So you will be happy that you have solar and inverter and have 24/7 light while your neighbors wallow in darkness. Some people have bought SUVs to minimize the effect of bad roads, some have surrounded their house with 12 feet wall, nails and barb wires to protect themselves from bad people and they are happy thinking this is all to life.

Until we start to value collective and society progress instead of individual progress, this country will remain a shithole. The difference between us and the western world is that the value collective progress, you don't need to be rich to enjoy basic amenities, you don't need to be rich to call 911 when in danger to get immediate police protection and many more.

At the end of the day, it shouldn't be about money. I prefer to be in an environment where things work for all irrespective of whether they are rich or poor than to be in an environment where getting the basic things of life will depend on how rich or poor you are.

no mind that guy
Re: Why Are Middle Class Nigerians Relocating To Canada? by orobs93(m): 7:18am On Aug 18, 2018
Saintp:

Black people are too self centered, you just confirmed it and this is why we can't develop as a nation. We care only about ourselves, ourselves and ourselves with no regard to others and the larger society.

So you will be happy that you have solar and inverter and have 24/7 light while your neighbors wallow in darkness. Some people have bought SUVs to minimize the effect of bad roads, some have surrounded their house with 12 feet wall, nails and barb wires to protect themselves from bad people and they are happy thinking this is all to life.

Until we start to value collective and society progress instead of individual progress, this country will remain a shithole. The difference between us and the western world is that the value collective progress, you don't need to be rich to enjoy basic amenities, you don't need to be rich to call 911 when in danger to get immediate police protection and many more.

At the end of the day, it shouldn't be about money. I prefer to be in an environment where things work for all irrespective of whether they are rich or poor than to be in an environment where getting the basic things of life will depend on how rich or poor you are.

he thinks he will have peace with such self centered mind set
Re: Why Are Middle Class Nigerians Relocating To Canada? by orobs93(m): 7:21am On Aug 18, 2018
HeWrites:

Quick question, if you have the 20M are you going to do that shii you wrote. (easier said than done).

If you can, the money you're earning every month (that's if you're working) slash it by two and be keeping half of the money. After a year, go and use the money to open a company where you will be employing people. And if you think you can't do it alone, be sending me the money.

as if we haven't been contributing already ...for light and roads ,sometimes the way Nigerians even reason irritates me with passion .

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Are Middle Class Nigerians Relocating To Canada? by InvertedHammer: 7:13am On Aug 19, 2018
/
Nigerians in Nigeria should show that they have functional brains first before soliciting for assistance from Nigerians in diaspora. Like Branson (owner of Virgin Atlantic) said, " Nigerian politicians are too corrupt and insane". Why would a sane investor move his investment to Nigeria when the people he intends to help demand for bribes to be helped? Assuming a concerned citizen wants to build a hospital, from land acquisition, building approval to the buildings, everyone and every agency has hands out for bribery and gratification outside of the official fees and dues. Most patriotic fellows that came with open minds went back. And the helpless Nigerians think they are wise until they or their immediate families become victims of their malfeasance.

Do you want to fix your street for everyone's benefit? You must grease the palms of local government officials and the Youth Union of the town. Why bother? Na person wey enter river im dey swallow. Why save people who don't want to be saved? Everyone is out for selfish interests instead of communal interests.

/

10 Likes

Re: Why Are Middle Class Nigerians Relocating To Canada? by AngelicBeing: 10:34am On Aug 19, 2018
InvertedHammer:
/
Nigerians in Nigeria should show that they have functional brains first before soliciting for assistance from Nigerians in diaspora. Like Branson (owner of Virgin Atlantic) said, " Nigerian politicians are too corrupt and insane". Why would a sane investor move his investment to Nigeria when the people he intends to help demand for bribes to be helped? Assuming a concerned citizen wants to build a hospital, from land acquisition, building approval to the buildings, everyone and every agency has hands out for bribery and gratification outside of the official fees and dues. Most patriotic fellows that came with open minds went back. And the helpless Nigerians think they are wise until they or their immediate families become victims of their malfeasance.

Do you want to fix your street for everyone's benefit? You must grease the palms of local government officials and the Youth Union of the town. Why bother? Na person wey enter river im dey swallow. Why save people who don't want to be saved? Everyone is out for selfish interests instead of communal interests.

/
Gbam, watch as the bees will swarm around your post, they will soon come for your head and say you are not patriotic to the shithole jungle cool

1 Like

Re: Why Are Middle Class Nigerians Relocating To Canada? by Electroweb(m): 3:53pm On Aug 21, 2018
Ugosample:

it does not matter

Nigeria has NO FUTURE.

Can't you see it?

I can see it. But people are making it in Nigeria too oooo! Not only politicians.

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Middle Class Nigerians Relocating To Canada? by damzy88: 12:15am On Aug 22, 2018
Saintp:

kiss kiss kiss
Re: Why Are Middle Class Nigerians Relocating To Canada? by Ugosample(m): 6:35pm On Nov 27, 2018
Electroweb:
...but what kind of jobs do these middle class nigerians that were earning well, do when they get to Canada? I hope its not Uber, Mcdonalds and the likes.

if they have to start from there, I don't see the problem
Re: Why Are Middle Class Nigerians Relocating To Canada? by Ugosample(m): 6:39pm On Nov 27, 2018
InvertedHammer:
/

/

you have said it all tongue
Re: Why Are Middle Class Nigerians Relocating To Canada? by Ugosample(m): 6:45pm On Nov 27, 2018
hok4u:

Baba, so far we don't have basic amenities in Nigeria, people will continue to migrate even if they earn 1milla monthly.

Just stroll from Tejuoso market in YAba to Ojuelegba flaunting your iPhone 7, if SARS won't wahala you, either you part with some fees or you have a family member in the military or para military that will save you.

Or you rushed a sick relative to hospital, you were told no doctor to attend to him, or you were given drugs to buy, you went to the hospital pharmacy, they tell you they don't have, you went outside to buy the drugs, you were sold fake drugs.

Baba, we have a lot of problems in this country that you can't solve by earning good salary, you can only use your good salary to ameliorate it.

If you've travelled out if this country to a more saner country, you will understand better that it's not about earning "good salary ".

true that cool

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Middle Class Nigerians Relocating To Canada? by Ugosample(m): 6:55pm On Nov 27, 2018
otokx:
Some Individuals and groups are tryng to bring about change in Nigeria but are inhibited by the general rotten mentality.

Education and Religion that ought to change the general rotten mentality have been corrupted.

Things are not looking good at all to the enlightened minds.

you have said it all
Re: Why Are Middle Class Nigerians Relocating To Canada? by Electroweb(m): 2:53pm On Nov 28, 2018
Ugosample:

if they have to start from there, I don't see the problem
Well, there really is no problem there. God knows everyones path.
Re: Why Are Middle Class Nigerians Relocating To Canada? by gentlemate00: 4:30pm On Jan 27, 2019
Nice one bro

gentleiphy:

Una weldone o...

There is a time in a mans life that he stops thinking about money and starts thinking about having access to quality life,having the most commonest basic things that keeps ones life healthy,being a little bit safe and having peace of mind.

when it comes to migration,from what i read here in all some peoples submission centered only on making money as the reason some leave Nigeria.I don't think that assertion is right. Okonjo Iweala would make $500k a month in Nigeria if she chose to live and work in Nigeria,but have we asked why she decided not to live in Nigeria with her family and i guess she is not even a middle class worker but a first class worker.

Secondly, have we asked what future our kids have in same Nigeria were education is only meant for the wealthy and politicians and jobs set aside for the longer legs?Truth be told most people will called middle class workers 80% came from the banking sector which did so well in providing a lot of graduating youths easily available jobs which they gladly accepted not because it reflected their academic background but out of not being unemployed and easy access to funds to meet their daily needs via salary which we commend the banks for stepping in where government has failed in providing job opportunities for the youths.That said..Abroad whichever side it is also is not paradise but it is near paradise as compared to what Nigeria has to offer.People have always argued that it is easier to make it in Nigeria than abroad which i agree totally,why cos we have lose ends,open holes,easy escape route to do things wrong and make money and that is even the contributory factor why Nigeria is as it is today..quest for anyhow money to show class.

I have seen many same middle class workers in Nigeria who relocated to different countries and suddenly rediscovered their real potentials and started making waves,they are many to be counted...at least statistics has it that Nigeria doctors in the US are among the best and in highest numbers,they were not born in the US,some left their jobs in Nigeria to migrate and found an enabling environment to flourish while their mates back home who they left are struggling to even pay their kids school fees as doctors,I have also seen those who are accountants come over to the US get serious and got the licenses needed and are heading finance unit of high profile companies while at the same time enjoying the environment Nigeria could not offer...Okonjo iweala as an example.

Each time this talk is raised,you here ignorant people sighting mortgage,auto finance and what not as a reason people find it hard to live in the western world forgetting that most people too in Nigeria live on loans from banks which they also pay off but come to think of it not every Nigeria in western world is a fool,so many run away from debts like credit cards and come back home to invest with what they have saved up.

I don't want to start comparing Nigeria with western world because Nigeria has not even started as a country but the truth is wherever you live in any country whether your country of birth or if the enabling environment is provided you will discover you can succeed in all you do with hard work.But has Nigeria provided the enabling environment to make people want to stay back,yes middle class are leaving because even though they make the money they still need to fly to the western world to seek medical attention,they still need to send their kids abroad for better education,they still need to buy inverters to get light,they still need to fence their houses with high fences with series of security locks to stay safe,they still need to sink boreholes to provide water for themselves,they still need to do estate meetings to contribute funds to fill up potholes,they still need to stay in horrible traffic with stress to get to office while at times being vulnerable to area boys while on traffic,they still need to contend with careless deaths caused my trailers and tankers..see life is not all about money,even though money is needed to sustain life,,,but how many south Africans travel out of south Africa,how many send their kids abroad for school or send their kids to Nigeria for education,they have access to medicare,quality medicare,Nigerians even go as far as Gambia for education,Ghana,Philippines..how many of Gambians seek admissions in Nigerian schools,how many Ghanaian seek admissions in Nigeria schools the way we flock to Ghana,we must know that something is not right with Nigeria.

All we see are Nigeria politicians flying abroad to celebrate birthday parties,all we see are environment where human life is not worth more than that of an animal,all we see is a society where people just get killed and its normal to everybody.That is not the country most middle class that are leaving wish to be in..this goes beyond money.I also agree totally with those that said most Nigerians also arrive abroad and get useless...it is not limited to only in abroad,but so many middle class who arrived Canada reassess themselves,took the opportunity and so many within 3 yrs owned a franchise in Canada because it has the enabling structure.I know of a Nigerian who had degree in Agronomy but worked in the bank in Nigeria before arriving Canada,he came and got back to what he trained for and had govt back up and today he is one great rich farmer in Western Canada employing even the white Canadians and is fulfilled pursuing what he trained for and still living life.

Finally,if you have opportunity to leave Nigeria please do but do it legally and know what you are leaving for but if you don't have the opportunity of leaving you can only remain and keep praying and hoping for the best.The world is all about migration from time,almost everybody migrated from somewhere.
Re: Why Are Middle Class Nigerians Relocating To Canada? by Raalsalghul: 5:26pm On Jan 27, 2019
The ones I pity are those breeding without setting up proper systems for thier kids' success.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Middle Class Nigerians Relocating To Canada? by FA13(m): 8:46pm On Jan 27, 2019
seunny4lif:
Why is Ireland not there?

Is relocating to Ireland that easy? Please elucidate on this.
Re: Why Are Middle Class Nigerians Relocating To Canada? by Nobody: 1:57am On Jan 28, 2019
peacengine:

We are three graduates, here in Naija all working, so what is your response? Your cousins are lazy yuths!

But seriously, black man is not too wise. If I earn a million here will I relocate because of light? Hahahaha I will move to where I can get good supply of light here, then kit my house with solar fully fitted and inverter backup running smoothly too.
Inverter that is not reliable I suppose or disappointment when electricity goes off for days without an apology Or is the use of generating sets by neighbours that may make one deaf or other hazards that comes from it. Is the poor health system or poor road networks that damages cars or the incessant strikes by academicians. Nothing is working in this country. Half of your salaries goes to services that you may not fully enjoy. Least I forget you said hotdeal's cousin are lazy because there are not working right ? Have you for once asked whether they have tried other alternatives but nothing seems to work and probably they get meagre pay that can't settle many bills. That you were fortunate doesn't mean others are. This country is getting worse on daily basis. Many youth have switched to advance fee fraud popularly called yahoo or yahoo plus. The proceeds from such deal are used by many to set up businesses that can't be traced to crime. I have a friend in the Uk. Each we chat, she says if only our basic necessities are working, she would relocate to Nigeria

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Middle Class Nigerians Relocating To Canada? by TheCork(m): 11:07am On Aug 13, 2020
ell77:

I agree with much of what you have said. But not the bolded part. Perhaps you do not understand why I mention my family, but it is to do with basic planning and risk management - this is one of the main points I have made.

Many have travelled abroad without adequate planning and that means they have not been able to manage risks well. Some have travelled abroad and were happy even when risks materialised because the upsides were more important to them (money and infrastructure etc). Every man and woman is called to plan well for their own home. You cannot decide what is a good plan for my own home as you don't know the risks I identified and the plan to combat them. I have analyzed the risks of Nigeria (the ones I know of anyway). If I was single the risks and things I would have to plan for would be far far less. As I am not single the plan is more complex. For each of my family members, I must put the correct things in place and will move once my plan is finalized. Also, as a wife, I don't act alone. I play a supportive role to my husband who ultimately is the head of my household. If you find this lame - so be it. God gave me this family and I take them and my vocation as wife and mother seriously. Not all wives and mothers do, I know. If Nigeria is as bad as you claim it is (and I have not disagreed with you), it is an intelligent thing to plan if you have children and a baby especially (even more so if you have identified any health needs that need to be met). You yourself quoted the health sector and how many doctors are leaving Nigeria and making waves in USA. This is not good for anyone who wants to live in Nigeria is it - unless, they are planning to build or invest in hospitals back home like the Indians are.

My own personal opinion is life as a whole is planning. You see it all the time, those who plan well in their youth are often better of as they grow old. Of course there are many exceptions, but if you don't plan then what are you expecting to happen? It is some people's nature to fly by the seat of their pants and for others taking a well planned and considered approach is the only option. I believe whatever your general nature for big moves/decisions like this, success is closely linked to the quality of your plan and preparation.

Ook.. Hello please do u have nyansh & why are u still in middle class at yor age ma. Din't u finish primary school? (Juss askin) angry
Re: Why Are Middle Class Nigerians Relocating To Canada? by Cousin9999: 3:02pm On Aug 13, 2020
That's not new. It's always been the case, and it's true for immigrants from anywhere.

Some people doing well in one country realize they can leverage their resources and skills to be borderline rich elsewhere. Some just want to open up their children's options.

These are the type of people to invest in Nigeria, start businesses, finance education, and eventually retire in Nigeria. They're actually creating jobs and providing for a lot of Nigerians. What's the problem?
Re: Why Are Middle Class Nigerians Relocating To Canada? by GboyegaD(m): 4:30pm On Aug 13, 2020
Electroweb:

They do very good jobs and if they have to start from such jobs you mentioned, they are happy they can pay their bills and live the life they wanted.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

The Fate Of Public Transportation In Nigeria / General Singapore Visa Equires / 'UK Border Force' On Sky1

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.