Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,464 members, 7,781,344 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 12:50 PM

The Preorder Mess - Autos (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / The Preorder Mess (17344 Views)

My 2014 Mercedes Benz GL450 Preorder From Inspired Autos / Come $ Preorder From Fhemmmy- 2007 VW Rabbit *Some Rust* MANUAL-ONLY 1.45M SOLDD / PreOrder Your Cars From Copart and IAAI Using Our License with Little Commission (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Preorder Mess by GeorgeD1(m): 9:15am On Jun 02, 2010
JohnKester:

Due diligence is necessary for any form of transaction and business relationship. Buyers should also know that any deal that is too good to be true is exactly that: TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE!

I will narrate my experience here which I have refrained from doing until now.

I got in touch with PTC Consults and made enquiry for a car. We exchanged a lot of emails and phone calls. However, warning signals started flashing when he gave me a price which I was well aware was below the advertised cost for the particular car we were discussing. I drew his attention to this and he tried unsuccessfully to convince me that it would be possible for him to bring the particular car in at the cost he had given me. I was not convinced because he would have to spend over a million of his own money to get the car to my house. There are no such genuine businessmen as everyone wants to make profit without which they would not even be in the business.

What did I do? I gave him another option: If he could bring the car in at his own expense, without any deposit from me, he gets extra 300K over the agreed price! Of course he rejected the offer and tried several antics to get me to believe in him and transfer 50% of his price to him. That did not happen and the communications terminated at that.

So beware when someone gives you a price which is absolutely unrealistic! He has an ulterior motive and it does not take a genius to know what that motive would be.

I think dealers should really come together to sanitize the situation and have a failsafe method of certifying honest dealers among themselves.

true talk, brother!
Re: The Preorder Mess by Pelpelly(m): 5:35pm On Jun 03, 2010
I like the idea of having a "Verification Team" but my only reserves are how do we make sure that team itself does not become corrupt? For instance if members of the team are dealers themselves or even have their preferred dealers on NL, this leaves room to deny others whilst promoting others. Basically a huge conflict of interest.

We have been selling vehicles through NL for over two years now, though we have been bringing in vehicles into Nigeria for about 6 years now. We have just recently started gaining traction and acquire some high level clients on NL. We felt we were taking all the proper steps by registering with the CAC of Nigeria, paying our taxes, opening bank accounts, hiring a lawyer, etc., yet some have even stated that all this means nothing in terms of proving validity. So what can one do if one is taking all these steps to ensure validity while others have not done so yet are deemed valid? I think the answer to this would be to just keep plugging away honestly and respectfully and the right buyers will come.

As I have stated earlier in a previous post, scammers will always have red flags about them or their business, the objective for the buyer is to identify these red flags. Also stated before, if it seems too good to be true than more than likely it IS NOT TRUE. The heartache begins when someone so desperately wants something that they overlook the red flags (i.e. an item that is inexpensively priced in comparison to its value).

BOTTOM LINE
An authorization team will need to be chosen by the representative buyers (whom can verify transactions carried out on NL) and dealers on NL collectively to avoid "stacking the ballot" in favor of certain dealers as opposed to others; should the need of one be apparent. And the buyer needs to know that they MUST beware in ALL transactions.
Re: The Preorder Mess by mastro: 9:02am On Jun 04, 2010
IMO there is nothing wrong with pre sales, however it does require an extra level of due diligence on the buyers part.

Firstly and foremostly as a buyer go and see the seller and or his representatives in Nigeria verify they are who they say they are, if they don't have a person on ground here then run in the opposite direction, get a lawyer involved as the good sellers here tend to.

Secondly remember this is the internet, it's only a form of communication, I can claim to be in Texas while sitting in Aba, I can set up multiple accounts with my friends, build a track record with posts all over the place replying to myself and others, before going for the kill, remember scammers have loads of time on their hands and if it takes 3 months of posting to steal N1m then they will put in the time.

this is also a good suggestion
I think the Mods here also need to take some of the blame. In every other forum i belong to, in any section where goods are sold, there's always a sticky post listing the dos and donts, giving helpful tips on how to avoid being scammed.

There is no such sticky post on Nairaland. And that's shocking.

This is a big lapse IMHO, and it needs to be fixed ASAP.

Bottom line, due diligence and if it sounds too good to be true it usually is.
Re: The Preorder Mess by jposuagwu: 10:58am On Jun 05, 2010
There is nothing wrong with preorders if all parties involved are sincere and honest. Am relatively new on NL and have seen adverts that a fraudulent and funny but I have seen other credible adverts both cash and carry and preorders. Talking about preorders, I have read other peoples comment about some preorder merchants like Germany007, Inspired_m etc. I think from peoples comments these guys are credible and ok to do business with. I have not done business with them and do not know them but intend doing business with Germany007 on trust very soon. I believe he is God sent based on what I have read about him. Preorders should go on; cash and carry should also go on but all parties both buyers and sellers should be sincere.

I suggest the owner of this site should henceforth ensure that new entrants register with their real names. Personally I registered with my real name - it give more confidence to people you are dealling with online even though its not prove of sincerity on its own. Again, Preorder merchants should get credible people or people with verifiable means of livelihood to guarantee any business they are doing with anyone. This will give better confidence. Someone suggested getting banks to give guarantee. This is good but will seriously increase cost of the car involved. I rest my case.
Re: The Preorder Mess by Nobody: 8:42am On Jun 06, 2010
The verification idea is a good one. But I feel it would be best if the team didn't consist of dealers. It should consist mainly of those that know their onions, but as non-dealers, are completely neutral. I feel with dealers making up the team, there'll be conflicts of interest.
Re: The Preorder Mess by ib612(m): 5:09am On Jun 07, 2010
In addition to many of the suggestions raised above ( some of which are not praticable), i should like to add that we make use of simple things that are easily verifiable.

Such as:

Name(s) of anyone selling anything on NL ( that's worth while).

Address(es), where applicable (even of assistant/representative in Nigeria).

Pictures of the seller of goods or services, email(s) address, phone number(s), facebook - as many friends appear on individual page which makes it easier to locate someone.

Any transaction worth more than 100k must go through a lawyer ( just a suggestion, it could be lower). This is so, if or whether, there's doubt over a trasaction to be entered.

Having mentioned all of the above, it's wise to know what you are getting into before you make any commitment. Always know that change occurs in every aspect in life. Anyone could become a devil over time!
Re: The Preorder Mess by GeorgeD1(m): 9:03am On Jun 09, 2010
why are we locking this thread now, or we done with the issues at stake?
Re: The Preorder Mess by Nobody: 10:17am On Jun 09, 2010
George_D:

The thread is not locked and remains open for positive contributions. The Admin, Supermods, or the moderator reserve the right to remove reported posts, offensive posts, grossly offtopic posts, and those that appear to be designed to derail the trhread.

Monitor_1
Re: The Preorder Mess by GeorgeD1(m): 10:21am On Jun 09, 2010
ok. copy that. cheers!
Re: The Preorder Mess by BizBooks(m): 1:17pm On Jun 09, 2010
@ Monitor_1,

I think George_D is referring to the notification that went out 2 days ago. It stated that this thread has been locked. It may have been inadvertent since a second notice came out a short time later saying it has been unlocked.
Re: The Preorder Mess by Busybody2(f): 9:37pm On Jun 09, 2010
George_D:

Seems we are, sadly.

Knowing my musings (wondering if Agariauto's claim - to have sold 33 high end cars averaging $45,000 each in the US in four months what recession despite the fact that he stated he has no showroom - was down to "advertising gimmicks" or something more sinister) could be deemed inflammatory, I tabled it before the Admin of the site, who felt rather than come out guns blazing, accusing Agariautos outrightly, a thread should be opened with said musings in a more gentler tone, allowing for contributions from other members of Nairaland with vested interest in this mattter, to field their concerns to Agariautos and give him the chance to defend himself.

My response was that my posts in the Autosection hardly ever gets to see the light of day before they get deleted - only God knows why, talkless of me opening a thread, hence the reason i decided to post it on this thread, which was subsequently seen by Agariautos, who only chose to field just two of the questions posed undecided

If you check the email notification, thread was inadvertently locked and then duly unlocked by the Supermod.
Re: The Preorder Mess by mastro: 8:25am On Jun 10, 2010
More ramdom thoughts,

While the idea of a formal guide and registered sellers seems good in theory, as members of the forum we have a responsibility and the ability to self regulate, if you see an advertisement that doesn't seem right challenge the poster, in many cases it will be a simple misunderstanding, in others potential fraud whatever the case the more eyes, the more likely the truth will come out and for the newer members once they do a search they have a clearer picture of who is a car dealer and who is a 419er.

There is also the simple fact that since these are high value items exchanging hands there will sometimes be disagreements between buyers and sellers, so the fact that someone shouts 419!!! doesn't automatically mean they are being duped.
Re: The Preorder Mess by tigerpaws(f): 10:36am On Jun 10, 2010
Is there a Conspiracy?

Why are my replies deleted by the moderator Monitor_1?

You can delete this as well  tongue
Re: The Preorder Mess by GeorgeD1(m): 6:56pm On Jun 10, 2010
tiger,
maybe it's an indirect way of telling you to watch your spellings. grin
Re: The Preorder Mess by tigerpaws(f): 9:16pm On Jun 10, 2010
^^lol. I have edited it! Thanks grin
Re: The Preorder Mess by GeorgeD1(m): 5:29pm On Jun 11, 2010
busy,
your getting worked up? grin
Re: The Preorder Mess by Busybody2(f): 1:53am On Jun 17, 2010
George_D:

busy,
your getting worked up? grin

Nah, although I have enough excess energy to power NEPA/PCHN, i don't get worked up for pathetic people, this is just a walk in the park for me
Re: The Preorder Mess by mukina2: 1:56am On Jun 17, 2010
Yippee she has a brain. she has seen the scan. angry
Re: The Preorder Mess by Busybody2(f): 2:00am On Jun 17, 2010
mukina2:

Yippee she has a brain. she has seen the scan. angry

I thought i was unique embarassed Wow, that makes two of us then, who dat? Wanna meet up with my kind so we can zing and bounce off each other grin I don't mind their being two of us as long as i am prettier than her tongue tongue tongue

How's my peacekeeping enforcement coming along? See everyone's been giving me rare review and certifying me the gentlest soul that ever was cool Told you i was born for that role kiss
Re: The Preorder Mess by mukina2: 2:04am On Jun 17, 2010
I am talking of you angry

you are hereby suspended and your badge ceased till, you receive phd from yaba left .

LoL grin
Re: The Preorder Mess by Busybody2(f): 2:20am On Jun 17, 2010
angry you talking to me
Re: The Preorder Mess by GeorgeD1(m): 12:15pm On Jun 17, 2010
there she goes again! i wonder when she'll learn to stop meddling! sad
Re: The Preorder Mess by mukina2: 12:25pm On Jun 17, 2010
huh?
Re: The Preorder Mess by Emperoh(m): 2:38pm On Jun 17, 2010
Muki and Busy_Body?

Wonderful!!! Two Yaba left side veterans in the circus!!

This is more than interesting!! Watching this space!!!
Re: The Preorder Mess by oluomoadebayo: 7:23pm On Jun 17, 2010
I don't see anything wrong with the pre order service cos I got my car through the system from inspired and I don't have any serious issue with it and I'm enjoying the car.I'm even planning to get another one through the same system.
Re: The Preorder Mess by Rotwale: 9:36pm On Jun 17, 2010
Personally, i have dealt with unbelievably honest ppl on NL! I would say the long and short of this whole thing is that you ensure you get to know whoever you are dealing with, be it on NL or elsewhere,

From my experience, there are great guys on this forum (German007, lomax, inspred_m & a host of others). However, without being told, there are bad eggs on this forum like every other fora. So its not just a NL thing.
Re: The Preorder Mess by GeorgeD1(m): 11:58am On Jun 18, 2010
rotwale,
not just a few but many bad eggs out here. we all need to be careful. due diligence is key.
Re: The Preorder Mess by jbloggs(m): 7:36am On Jun 19, 2010
Don't Preorder any car, if there is no physical contact.
Meet and sign papers.
Re: The Preorder Mess by Pennywise(m): 11:36am On Jun 19, 2010
Seun called this the pre-order mess, I say we have not seen any mess yet. Real mess dey come.

What we have right now may be the early stages of a growing pyramid scheme. Name and recognition is good. That is what drives a business esp a pyramid scheme kind of business. The failed schemes we had succeeded not just b/c we knew the operators but b/c they had very visible and identifiable assets often in real estate compared to this that is founded on names alone.

Assuming someone preorders with a deposit of 1.5 mil. Car is delivered and buyer makes good and everyone is happy. Then 100 pple deposit 1.5mil giving seller 150mil in raw cash. That is very tempting for a young man with or without visible assets. Some will split with the money before you can say "my preorder". This is Nigeria. With the way things are (with respect to law enforcement and the judiciary) I will probably take my chances if I was dealer. Police and Judiciary give or take 15mil, personal security over 2yrs <6mil. In 2 yrs you would have forgotten abt the NL dealer. Life goes on.George D and other beneficiaries will continue to enjoy their cars.

Some dealers may mean well. But this business model puts enormous burden of risk on the buyer. Dealers should pull their own resources to bring in cars. Patronage will grow if you remain on the mark in quality. Most peeps wont mind paying a little extra for that.

A good number of the dealers were already successful in their biz b/4 the preorder started. All they need to do is grow. There is too much at stake here if it fails.
Re: The Preorder Mess by GeorgeD1(m): 6:58pm On Jun 19, 2010
pennywise,
there will still be fraudulent dealers even without the pre-order system.
Re: The Preorder Mess by axeman85(m): 11:04pm On Jun 19, 2010
This isnt the only section filled with dubious people, even in the technology section they are dodgy people on there as well, i have also been a victim were i parted with 60k for agen which is supposedly imported from amsterdam with 4.5kva only for it to turn out to have less capacity and bein a waste of money as from the 2nd day ii bought it, i have kept spending money on it day in and day out ended up ditching it.

all am saying all sections has its own black sheep and in this issue ptconsult turned out to be the one on here. we jst have to be extra careful when dealing with people .
Re: The Preorder Mess by Pennywise(m): 12:16pm On Jun 20, 2010
George_D:

pennywise,
there will still be fraudulent dealers even without the pre-order system.

No question. Afterall there was fraud b/4 preorder came. The very nature of the preorder system lends itself to too much abuse potential. And the kind of money that is involved-I mean we are not talking cell phone money!

My final advise to Seun? Pull the plug on pre-order now!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Very Neat Foreign Used 2007 Toyota Avensis Wagon for Sale in PH! 09078291790 / 2015 Model BMW X3 Toks Full Option / Sparkling 2005 Honda Accord Eod V6 Full Options..price: N1.8m

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.