Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,635 members, 7,801,832 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 01:14 AM

Chimamanda Adichie Responds To Critics On Hillary Clinton’s Twitter Bio Question - Literature (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Chimamanda Adichie Responds To Critics On Hillary Clinton’s Twitter Bio Question (29431 Views)

Collins Oscar Shares His Wedding Photos, Responds To Critics / Chimamanda Adichie Upset About Hillary Clinton's "Wife" Bio On Twitter / Chimamanda Adichie: I Was Sexually Harassed By Media Man Who Squeezed My Breast (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Responds To Critics On Hillary Clinton’s Twitter Bio Question by happney65: 9:58am On Apr 25, 2018
DeeMain:
Some corrections:

Ms is now the 21st century way of giving a lady a title without using Miss or Mrs. In essence when it is used you cannot tell if a woman is married or not. It simply says this is a woman. It removes the label of married or single from the description of a woman.

Nonesense..And the whole world knows Hilary is married and the Media addresses her as MRS.. All these feminists always finding fault where there is none..The other day I even saw where they were trying to stop calling a woman by the tag woman and trying to give another appellation to it..

You people will just kill ur selves Danu.. Women rights are being trampled upon in the middle east..little girls are raped in India. .etc..we won't hear their voices na nonesense things them go dey fight against. .
Shioor

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Responds To Critics On Hillary Clinton’s Twitter Bio Question by newslifeop: 10:00am On Apr 25, 2018
ohh
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Responds To Critics On Hillary Clinton’s Twitter Bio Question by DexterousOne(m): 10:01am On Apr 25, 2018
emrain:
Damn! I'm impressed. She does have a salient point. Feminism should be encouraged. Btw, why should a woman change her name because of marriage? Is she a property?

I wonder.

People just do stuff without checking the origins

Do people actually know the origins of changing surnames, or the culture it originated from

Though I did not like how Adiche handled the issue of wife and all (comparing her husband's page with her own)
I still think that a lot of men running their mouth do so out of insecurity.

Joke Silva and Olu Jacobs have been married for donkey years, has their marriage collapsed?

what of Wendy Williams?

or Boris Kodjoe and Nicole Ari Parker?

People hyperventilating over frivolous things
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Responds To Critics On Hillary Clinton’s Twitter Bio Question by prechbills1(m): 10:04am On Apr 25, 2018
Reggie2:
You remind me of honourable Gudaji- I guess that's his name- who is perplexed that voting more women into the Nigeria house of assembly would be the end of the world.

I quoted you to correct the notion that dowry paid for marriage makes a woman 'less' human! Social anthropology in this regard speak differently. Please get your facts right before making jokes.

Chimamanda crosses the African red line in her pursuit of feminist theology, that doesn't mean we should denigrate womanhood.

why should I pay money before marrying you and won't see you as "lesser" human and a commodity?

don't ever quote me next time or I may be forced to say something you won't like.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Responds To Critics On Hillary Clinton’s Twitter Bio Question by Sterope(f): 10:22am On Apr 25, 2018
I am glad you agree with what I wrote but I don't agree with yours.

Hillary is a proud wife of an influential man. She is also an influential woman. Michelle Obama is also a proud wife of an ex president and likewise a successful woman. Both women independently of their husbands have achieved a lot in their personal and professional lives. Their husbands need not be influential for them to be proud wives.

Chimamanda's husband is not weak or less of a man because he is not influential and his wife is not bearing his surname. If we that were the case, I would ask you who the hell you are to criticise Arichie when you haven't achieved half of what she has achieved wven though you are a man But I beg to differ becausr these points simply do not matter. They are not addressing the issue.

eezeribe:
Chimamanda can dissect Hillary Clinton as much as she likes;but one thing remains certain,the likes of Hillary Clinton and Michelle Obama will forever remain more highly rated than Ngozi Adichie...
Hillary Clinton is a proud WIFE of former US president and one of the most influential men in the world,Bill Clinton;while Chimamanda remains the wife of a nobody,a man who is so weak that his wife can't even bear his surname.
I have nothing against TRUE FEMINISM,but there is a thin line between COMMON SENSE and NONSENSE.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Responds To Critics On Hillary Clinton’s Twitter Bio Question by crazymommy(f): 10:23am On Apr 25, 2018
nkemdi89:

I mentioned three things, which were hatred, jealousy and tribalism, and most of the people bashing her fell into those categories, she became popular not only because of her books, but she is vocal too, and left for me as an adult, I have the liberty to accept what I want to, her opinions are not laws , that means its not binding on anyone. And miss Clinton herself never saw it from that direction of the question being rude, its just that our African mentality makes us see it that way. An average black has a significant percentage of pull him down syndrome in him, that's why the condemnation was coming from people who tagged themselves " family " .
Lol...the way some of you people confidently say some nonsense and lies is very amazing.......many whites and other races also blasted her often,infact many whites were usually accused of racism whenever they go against her opinion and her fans think they disagree with her because she is black......you people with inferiority complex will jusy sit down at one self contain and be condemning your fellow people because of your ass worshipping mentality.....the fact is adichie goofed this time around,she telling hillary clinton why she had “wife” on her bio on social media is totally wrong,it is funny how some people think that because she is a successful writer then she can never be wrong for once??really??

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Responds To Critics On Hillary Clinton’s Twitter Bio Question by Sterope(f): 10:27am On Apr 25, 2018
Which Michelle Obama is this? shocked

CSTR1003:

Please tell me one thing Michelle Obama has accomplished aside from being the first black first lady. ?

A Nigerian without an American citizenship rose to a position of influence and opinion shaping without ever been in politics.

You think that is not more impressive than whatever Michelle Obama has accomplished?

When was the last Michelle Obama won an award in her field of study which is law?
Her highest achievement is first lady.
Don't ever insult chimamanda by making that comparison again.

Hilary Clinton on other hand is a highly accomplished Titan.

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Responds To Critics On Hillary Clinton’s Twitter Bio Question by Sterope(f): 10:30am On Apr 25, 2018
How can you? You made her, didn't you?

Insecure much? undecided

openmine:

I can't begin to imagine the look on my face if my future wife is asked to intro herself and she uses her own father's surname instead of mine....
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Responds To Critics On Hillary Clinton’s Twitter Bio Question by Chukazu: 10:32am On Apr 25, 2018
Kumar4india:
It means , she doesn't dance to attract money.

I dont have anything against the lady ohhhhh BUT my concern is why will she start asking someone about her status in public? It like enforcing her opinion on one who is higher than her.

I guess she just like to play the devil's advocate.

She likes to unsettle nerves

The bitter truth is we are all gender biased from cradle to grave.

Give you an example: " if I tell you that one of my parent is a fighter Jet Pilot you would automatically think am talking about my Father "

That is how everyone if us arrogate unhealthy superior being to the male folks
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Responds To Critics On Hillary Clinton’s Twitter Bio Question by boyjo: 10:34am On Apr 25, 2018
Gullah:
This woman has allowed herself to become a tool in the hand of the devil. She has entered on a wrong path and the earlier she steps back from it the better for her. She will only end up destroying herself and all those she ends up deceiving

Very seductively subtle; Fame, Power, Money.
How can she escape? Who can rescue her apart from Jesus?
By the time she begins to feel empty and want out, she is rewarded with another interview or award or...whatever.

3 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Responds To Critics On Hillary Clinton’s Twitter Bio Question by Nobody: 10:36am On Apr 25, 2018
kalu61:
something is telling me feminism is a form of mental disorder. How can you question one decision to use wife of her profile. Clinton's has accomplished what most men will never do but her decision to use wife: sign of submission or call it accomplishment as well is no Chimamanda's headache.

Notice where she said that sometimes, for women, choices are not always real [b][/b]choices..... You gotta do a lot of mental gymnastics to digest that one.

Does she think its my real choice as a man to live in Nigeria?

Hypocritical amanda.

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Responds To Critics On Hillary Clinton’s Twitter Bio Question by eevich: 10:41am On Apr 25, 2018
Himmler:

First you can't call me son because I'm not your son. Secondly this is not someone else calling Hilary Clinton a wife and mother. She described herself that way in her own bio!! What's so difficult for you to understand that she has a right to do so. Thirdly, enough of the personal attacks, I do know the things I stand for and they inform my opinions daily, if I took exception to Obama's sodomy as described in the thread I commented on, does that then mean he must be a bad human being in every aspect of his life? I've seen a lot of humans to know that nobody is completely bad or good so I've learnt to judge matters as they've been presented in the case at hand. I've had cause to praise chimamanda on other matters just as I totally condemn what she did in this matter, yeah, I condemned Obama's sodomy but I had reason to support him against Hilary in the dems2008 primary and against McCain and Romney in the general elections and the same Clinton I'm defending now, I've also had cause to condemn over many other issues. I don't pre judge people before hearing their case because of pre conceived notions I have about them, something you clearly have a problem doing. I repeat, Enough of the personal attacks, i don't want to roll that way this morning
Really enjoying your back and forth with the other Nairalander..
Your comeback on the "son" descriptor is spot on.
In addition, the analogy holds no water in the context of the matter at hand.
Being a proud "Wife" or "Mother" is a choice and in many societies(eg. America), the recognized platform through which you become either or both is the institution of marriage(ofcourse with exceptions).
My point is that being tied to a partner and having children is an act of "will" whereas being/becoming a BIOLOGICAL "son" or "daughter" is not a choice and hence its irrelevant to put that on your Bio..

2 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Responds To Critics On Hillary Clinton’s Twitter Bio Question by Nobody: 10:42am On Apr 25, 2018
DJHANDSOME:
The way Nigerians reacts harshly to opinions that do not conform to their wack religious and cultural views is mind boggling. Chimamanda has every right to express herself the way she wants, she is not supposed to impress you. undecided

Hillary has the same right. She questioned Hillary's right to express herself the way she wants to that's why are need to question her as well.

Hope the logic is not over your head.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Responds To Critics On Hillary Clinton’s Twitter Bio Question by kalu61(m): 10:42am On Apr 25, 2018
TheLordIsGr8:

Notice where she said that sometimes, for women, choices are not always real [b][/b]choices..... You gotta do a lot of mental gymnastics to digest that one.

Does she think its my real choice as a man to live in Nigeria?

Hypocritical amanda.
HAHAHAHAHA, your signature eh
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Responds To Critics On Hillary Clinton’s Twitter Bio Question by Nobody: 10:45am On Apr 25, 2018
kernel507:

'I am not trying to heave you with insult, but then... you're too awfully small to be so hugely irritating.
Virulence smells in your language, a person filled with vindictiveness. Close that tiny hole before your face, because silent is golden.

Working in a tiny Oshodi factory truly can be a career, and a dream come through for a character like you, while she's representing Africa.

Don't reply me, or... I will make you question the institution that graduated you.

#BitterSoul.

Why ask me not to reply you? Are you afraid? lol. One love, dear... Not bitter, at all. Am holding firm to my territory.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Responds To Critics On Hillary Clinton’s Twitter Bio Question by Nobody: 10:45am On Apr 25, 2018
Sterope:
I am glad you agree with what I wrote but I don't agree with yours.

Hillary is a proud wife of an influential man. She is also an influential woman. Michelle Obama is also a proud wife of an ex president and likewise a successful woman. Both women independently of their husbands have achieved a lot in their personal and professional lives. Their husbands need not be influential for them to be proud wives.

Chimamanda's husband is not weak or less of a man because he is not influential and his wife is not bearing his surname. If we that were the case, I would ask you who the hell you are to criticise Arichie when you haven't achieved half of what she has achieved wven though you are a man But I beg to differ becausr these points simply do not matter. They are not addressing the issue.

I think Amanda should drop her father's name altogether since he is a man.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Responds To Critics On Hillary Clinton’s Twitter Bio Question by Nobody: 10:46am On Apr 25, 2018
kalu61:
HAHAHAHAHA, your signature eh

lol. na so I see am ooo. I leave it there as a testament to what we're suffering in the hands of our supposed brothers.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Responds To Critics On Hillary Clinton’s Twitter Bio Question by kalu61(m): 10:52am On Apr 25, 2018
TheLordIsGr8:

lol. na so I see am ooo. I leave it there as a testament to what we're suffering in the hands of our supposed brothers.
it seems nowhere is safe in this country. Well, out Mace and Buhari's office is not safe. I'm speechless
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Responds To Critics On Hillary Clinton’s Twitter Bio Question by AuntLaVIV(f): 10:54am On Apr 25, 2018
kaorama:

One of lazy Nigerians. I didn't say she studied in UNN. Yea, she was admitted to study Med. & Surg in UNN, but are you aware she went to the University Secondary School and lived all through as a teenager on campus. Even while at the US, she always visited her family on campus. Do I have to argue with you for what? You may be a robot by the way.

You said unn and not secondary school, which means you are even a greater liar than I thought. You don't know her anything, so stop lying all over the place.She has spent most of her life in US than even in Nigeria.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Responds To Critics On Hillary Clinton’s Twitter Bio Question by openmine(m): 10:56am On Apr 25, 2018
Sterope:
How can you? You made her, didn't you?

Insecure much? undecided

I never made her but she decided to change her name out of her own volition..
..she knew what she was getting into hence she is required to abide by the rules and requirements of marriage... just like MRS Clinton did....
So why would she change her mind and start being addressed in her dad's surname all of a sudden?

Its a choice but I guess U won't understand because u r fixed on that tag called feminism....

Am a 100% sure this same moniker quoting me will surely jump at the offer of getting ur Hubby's surname esp if its that of a wealthy man like dangote...
but U are right here on this faceless forum forming feminism....

And please try to be straightforward and precise with ur indirect attacks in form of unnecessary questions aimed at me....its My life and my choice...not ur business...comprendo?
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Responds To Critics On Hillary Clinton’s Twitter Bio Question by DexterousOne(m): 10:57am On Apr 25, 2018
openmine:

I can't begin to imagine the look on my face if my future wife is asked to intro herself and she uses her own father's surname instead of mine....

Different strokes for different folks

I personally don't mind her keeping her surname, especially if she is from a prominent family

No big deal at all.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Responds To Critics On Hillary Clinton’s Twitter Bio Question by DexterousOne(m): 10:58am On Apr 25, 2018
TheLordIsGr8:

I think Amanda should drop her father's name altogether since he is a man.

What is this one saying sef?
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Responds To Critics On Hillary Clinton’s Twitter Bio Question by kernel507: 10:59am On Apr 25, 2018
kaorama:

Why ask me not to reply you? Are you afraid? lol. One love, dear... Not bitter, at all. Am holding firm to my territory.

Nwanne, ahurum gi na-anya ka onye nkem. Obughi obim ịkparị gị mgbe ahụ, na-akwanyere ndị ọzọ ugwu, I bu onye nkem.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Responds To Critics On Hillary Clinton’s Twitter Bio Question by Nobody: 11:01am On Apr 25, 2018
kernel507:

Nwanne, ahurum gi na-anya ka onye nkem. Obughi obim ịkparị gị mgbe ahụ, na-akwanyere ndị ọzọ ugwu, I bu onye nkem.

Udo na-adiri onye choro udo. Laa n'udo, e mehekwala ozo.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Responds To Critics On Hillary Clinton’s Twitter Bio Question by openmine(m): 11:10am On Apr 25, 2018
DexterousOne:

Different strokes for different folks

I personally don't mind her keeping her surname, especially if she is from a prominent family

No big deal at all.
Well u have already stated ur reasons for retaining her name...which is ur opinion though I may have my reservations but then I totally respect it...
However am very sure aside her coming from a famous or well known family,U are also prepared for the consequences of her not taking ur last name....
I don't need to state them...The future will tell!
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Responds To Critics On Hillary Clinton’s Twitter Bio Question by ICEMAN(m): 11:13am On Apr 25, 2018
Another fail for Chimamanda. Crooked Hillary's major reason for unpopularity is much more than what Chimamanda just mentioned. This shows that in her bid to identify with a feminist role model she failed to do adequate research on her subject. Please watch the full documentary of why Bill (aka Slick Willie) and Hillary are extremely unpopular.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LYRUOd_QoM
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Responds To Critics On Hillary Clinton’s Twitter Bio Question by shyman(m): 11:16am On Apr 25, 2018
Its surprising why we all feel entitled to air our views but don't think she can...
She painstakingly took time to explain her thoughts but then 'na we get our mouth' undecided..
If e pain you, Go interview Hilary..tell her how proud you are about her Bio grin grin
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Responds To Critics On Hillary Clinton’s Twitter Bio Question by Sterope(f): 11:20am On Apr 25, 2018
Who made the rules and requirements of marriage?

Did your ancestors ever had a surname?

Where is it written in the Bible and the Qur'an that a married woman must take her husband's surname?

It is a western culture. Have you so lost your way that you now worship a white man's marital culture? Isn't it hypocritical that one minute you are shouting our culture and the next you are eroding it? Do you know that once upon a time in the western world women did not take their husbands' names. It is an innovation. Put your hand where your mouth is, make your ancestors proud and say no to westernisation of African culture grin.

In my culture, a child is identified by her father not her husband or wife. You should be glad we are not asking the child to take her mother's name. That should be enough for you.

openmine:

I never made her but she decided to change her name out of her own volition..
..she knew what she was getting into hence she is required to abide by the rules and requirements of marriage... just like MRS Clinton did....
So why would she change her mind and start being addressed in her dad's surname all of a sudden?

Its a choice but I guess U won't understand because u r fixed on that tag called feminism....

Am a 100% sure this same moniker quoting me will surely jump at the offer of getting ur Hubby's surname esp if its that of a wealthy man like dangote...
but U are right here on this faceless forum forming feminism....

And please try to be straightforward and precise with ur indirect attacks in form of unnecessary questions aimed at me....its My life and my choice...not ur business...comprendo?
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Responds To Critics On Hillary Clinton’s Twitter Bio Question by Timbuktuo: 11:31am On Apr 25, 2018
eyinjuege:

Why are you saying tribalism? A lot of those condemning her stance are from her region. Are they being tribalistic to themselves?
She is entitled to her own opinion. The question was a bit rude, and personal though. She's not a journalist or tv host looking for juicy stories and high ratings on tV, who can push their guests to swear for them on live TV.

If you tell most igbo people to use the bathroom instead of peeing your living room, they would accuse you of being tribalists and trying to suppress their need to relieve themselves. They are that deluded. Cries of tribalism from them are worthless.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Responds To Critics On Hillary Clinton’s Twitter Bio Question by steveDpro: 11:32am On Apr 25, 2018
For me, she is free to ask any question as long as the person accepts to answer it.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Responds To Critics On Hillary Clinton’s Twitter Bio Question by steveDpro: 11:38am On Apr 25, 2018
Nigerians should stop thinking the way they think for us to go far abeg
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Responds To Critics On Hillary Clinton’s Twitter Bio Question by emekee: 11:48am On Apr 25, 2018
I am disgusted when people like nkemdi89 claim tribalism against the the great writer Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie who should admit she is wrong . I am probably more igbo than nkemdi89. Enough of it!!!!

She was wrong to suggest to Mrs. Clinton, a proud wife to change her status. I can't speak much of the amazing writer who is too ashame to adopt her husband's name.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Chimamanda Adichie: 'I Am Sorry For Men, They Can't Have Motherhood' / Chimamanda Adichie: Bride Price Should Be Abolished, I'm Not A Fan Of It / The Kevlar's Emergency Fiancee (chritsmas Edition)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.