Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,393 members, 7,808,381 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:14 AM

Ewa Agoyin Stew: How To Prepare Nigerian Ewa Agoyin Stew - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Ewa Agoyin Stew: How To Prepare Nigerian Ewa Agoyin Stew (3607 Views)

Easy Steps On How I Made Ewa Agoyin (Beans And Sauce) With Bread (Photos, Video) / Buka Stew, How To Make Stew Without Frying / Egg Stew Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Egg Stew For Yam/rice (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ewa Agoyin Stew: How To Prepare Nigerian Ewa Agoyin Stew by vinegurl(f): 7:09am On Apr 25, 2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0l-UNwV2FNo

Ewa agoyin sauce/stew is a simple pepper sauce cooked in palm oil; it has a unique and irresistible aroma which comes from the fried onions and pepper; it is one of the simplest stew recipes that doesn’t require much ingredients.

“Ewa” simply means Beans in Yoruba language, while “Agoyin”is a word used by Nigerians to describe people from other parts of Africa such as Ghana, Togo, Benin republic, Cotonu; the word was use to describe the way people from these regions make their beans meal and it is more peculiar to the Togolese and Cotonu people. “Ewa agoyin” is also spelled “Ewa Aganyin”.

Ewa agoyin stew/sauce is usually served over mashed beans, agege bread, boiled yam and most times boiled srice. See the steps on how to cook Ewa Agoyin stew and also watch the video too.

Ewa Agoyin Ingredients

1. 4 medium red bell peppers, (tatashe)
2. 3 red chillies (shombo)
3. 1 medium onion, halve into two
4. 1 tablespoon roughly broken dried peppers
5. 2 scotch bonnets
6. 1 tablespoon pepper seeds, optional
7. 1-2 seasoning cubes
8. 1 tablespoon ground crayfish
9. 1 ½ cup palm oil
10. Salt to taste

How to Prepare Ewa Agoyin SteW

1. Combine all the peppers and ½ onion together to blend with just a little water and set aside.
2. Place a medium pot on heat and add palm oil into it, cover the oil to bleach for 10 minutes on high heat.
3. Chop the other onion into long stands while the oil is bleaching; at this point, the oil must have turned golden.
4. Turn off the burner and add the chopped onion and the roughly crush dried pepper to the oil and stir-fry for 2 minutes or until the onion is
caramelized but not burnt.
5. Turn the heat on to medium low; add the blended pepper to the oil and fry, stirring occasionally.
6. Once the pepper is properly fried, the oil will rise to the top, season the sauce with ground crayfish, seasoning cubes and salt, stir and
leave to simmer on medium heat to infuse aroma.
7. Add the pepper seeds if you’re using these and stir the sauce occasionally to prevent form burning at the bottom of the pot. You will notice
the colour of the stew becoming darker which is exactly what you want, keep stirring to get your preferred colour and texture.
8. Ewa agoyin sauce is ready once it is dark and gritty. Note: I don’t really like my ewa agoyin sauce to be very dark, so I put off heat once I
have achieved a slightly dark colour like what you are seeing above. Serve ewa agoyin over mashed beans.

Cc. Lalasticlala, Suen, Jummiefoodie, Cococandy, Jagugu88li, Mynd44, Fynestboi, Obinoscopy, Dominique.

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Ewa Agoyin Stew: How To Prepare Nigerian Ewa Agoyin Stew by jummiefoodie: 5:06pm On Apr 25, 2018
vinegurl:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0l-UNwV2FNo

Ewa agoyin sauce/stew is a simple pepper sauce cooked in palm oil; it has a unique and irresistible aroma which comes from the fried onions and pepper; it is one of the simplest stew recipes that doesn’t require much ingredients.

“Ewa” simply means Beans in Yoruba language, while “Agoyin”is a word used by Nigerians to describe people from other parts of Africa such as Ghana, Togo, Benin republic, Cotonu; the word was use to describe the way people from these regions make their beans meal and it is more peculiar to the Togolese and Cotonu people. “Ewa agoyin” is also spelled “Ewa Aganyin”.

Ewa agoyin stew/sauce is usually served over mashed beans, agege bread, boiled yam and most times boiled srice. See the steps on how to cook Ewa Agoyin stew and also watch the video too.

Ewa Agoyin Ingredients

1. 4 medium red bell peppers, (tatashe)
2. 3 red chillies (shombo)
3. 1 medium onion, halve into two
4. 1 tablespoon roughly broken dried peppers
5. 2 scotch bonnets
6. 1 tablespoon pepper seeds, optional
7. 1-2 seasoning cubes
8. 1 tablespoon ground crayfish
9. 1 ½ cup palm oil
10. Salt to taste

How to Prepare Ewa Agoyin SteW

1. Combine all the peppers and ½ onion together to blend with just a little water and set aside.
2. Place a medium pot on heat and add palm oil into it, cover the oil to bleach for 10 minutes on high heat.
3. Chop the other onion into long stands while the oil is bleaching; at this point, the oil must have turned golden.
4. Turn off the burner and add the chopped onion and the roughly crush dried pepper to the oil and stir-fry for 2 minutes or until the onion is
caramelized but not burnt.
5. Turn the heat on to medium low; add the blended pepper to the oil and fry, stirring occasionally.
6. Once the pepper is properly fried, the oil will rise to the top, season the sauce with ground crayfish, seasoning cubes and salt, stir and
leave to simmer on medium heat to infuse aroma.
7. Add the pepper seeds if you’re using these and stir the sauce occasionally to prevent form burning at the bottom of the pot. You will notice
the colour of the stew becoming darker which is exactly what you want, keep stirring to get your preferred colour and texture.
8. Ewa agoyin sauce is ready once it is dark and gritty. Note: I don’t really like my ewa agoyin sauce to be very dark, so I put off heat once I
have achieved a slightly dark colour like what you are seeing above. Serve ewa agoyin over mashed beans.

Cc. Lalasticlala, Suen, Jummiefoodie, Cococandy, Jagugu88li, Mynd44, Fynestboi, Obinoscopy, Dominique.

Job well done.
Send some to me o.

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Ewa Agoyin Stew: How To Prepare Nigerian Ewa Agoyin Stew by TSOM(m): 11:17pm On Apr 25, 2018
...And remember, people, use protective goggles when approaching it. Your eyes are important.
Re: Ewa Agoyin Stew: How To Prepare Nigerian Ewa Agoyin Stew by vinegurl(f): 4:04am On Apr 26, 2018
jummiefoodie:

Job well done.
Send some to me o.
Thanks, I wish I can
Re: Ewa Agoyin Stew: How To Prepare Nigerian Ewa Agoyin Stew by Divay22(f): 4:15am On Apr 26, 2018
:DWould have loved to try sad but I'm not a pepper fan
Nice video though

1 Like

Re: Ewa Agoyin Stew: How To Prepare Nigerian Ewa Agoyin Stew by Flexherbal(m): 10:06am On Apr 26, 2018
Lovely!

1 Like

Re: Ewa Agoyin Stew: How To Prepare Nigerian Ewa Agoyin Stew by vinegurl(f): 6:48pm On Apr 26, 2018
Flexherbal:
Lovely!
Thanks dear
Re: Ewa Agoyin Stew: How To Prepare Nigerian Ewa Agoyin Stew by vinegurl(f): 6:49pm On Apr 26, 2018
Divay22:
:DWould have loved to try sad but I'm not a pepper fan
Nice video though
Thanks, you can try it out by using a little amount
Re: Ewa Agoyin Stew: How To Prepare Nigerian Ewa Agoyin Stew by devlishGINGER(m): 6:53am On May 10, 2018
vinegurl:

Thanks, you can try it out by using a little amount
I will try this out again today. The one I made yesterday was funny grin
Re: Ewa Agoyin Stew: How To Prepare Nigerian Ewa Agoyin Stew by soundforce: 12:08pm On May 10, 2018
VINEGURL thanks for your post but kindly explain how the beans is prepared and mashed

2 Likes

Re: Ewa Agoyin Stew: How To Prepare Nigerian Ewa Agoyin Stew by vinegurl(f): 2:45am On May 12, 2018
soundforce:
VINEGURL
thanks for your post but kindly explain how the beans is prepared and mashed

You're welcome, I have the video here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhlezy4DvkA on how the beans is prepared and mashed, check it out

2 Likes

Re: Ewa Agoyin Stew: How To Prepare Nigerian Ewa Agoyin Stew by shilz(f): 2:00pm On May 12, 2018
is this same stew eaten with ofada rice?
Re: Ewa Agoyin Stew: How To Prepare Nigerian Ewa Agoyin Stew by vinegurl(f): 12:07am On May 13, 2018
shilz:
is this same stew eaten with ofada rice?
No, it's not the same, ofada stew is different

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Pure Healing Food / American Dish: Shrimp Fettuchini Alfredo / Simplest Snack You Can Make With Flour

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.