Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,289 members, 7,780,652 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 06:47 PM

Throwing Light On The Recent Argument On Who Owns The Awori Land - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Throwing Light On The Recent Argument On Who Owns The Awori Land (330 Views)

The Most Expensive House In Nigeria. Who Owns It? / Recent Developments In Igbogbo Ikorodu / What Could Be The Cause Of Recent Fire Outbreaks? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Throwing Light On The Recent Argument On Who Owns The Awori Land by Jammy28(m): 2:01pm On Apr 26, 2018
THROWING LIGHT ON THE RECENT ARGUMENT ON WHO OWNS THE AWORI LAND

It is my greatest pleasure and candid opinion to tell all and sundry of Awori Sons and Daughters that the first Oba of Awori Land was a very great hunter of an Elephant “Ode Aperin”.
Many elders might be wondering about the age of the writer of this eye opener. This has to be so, at a point when they are supposed to talk and they refused to do so.
This Oba was in an Ancient Historical town popularly called Ado-Odo town, a town of an Ancient Awori Kingdom. His royal title was “Aajo”.
Oba Aajo was the person who single-handedly brought the crown from Ile-Ife to his domain. He was at the helm of affairs of the town where the wearing of same crown started to spread to all other parts of Awori Land.
He was on the throne serving his ogun at Itako until the coming of the Missionaries from Badagry. This Oba embraced their coming and gave them a parcel of land to build a Church, which was the cause of the battle between him and “Iba” (Iba is the sixteen (16) shrines of the Yorubas in Ado-Odo).
When he noticed that the battle was beyond his control and could terminate his life, there, he decided to step down and release the crown. Releasing the crown in this case, has brought about the chanting of his oriki (eulogy) as “omo Akogun, omo Akogun Iba, ma kogun oba,omo eleri fun jare opopo”.
What I therefore noticed in this issue that caused the confusion is the “Omo Akogun”. Actually, in Benin, there is a family named “Akogun” and as we are all aware, Lagos has ever been the centre of business used by the Royal Niger Company owned by the British government with the headquarters in Asaba of the then colony that attracted the Benin indigenes to trade. It is possible that one of the Oba Aajo descendants chanted his oriki (eulogy) in the presence of the Benins that would have caused the confusion, and I trust my Benin brothers, if you get to our higher institutions today, it is ever been in the history books that a Benin man was the first Oba of Awori Land which is not true.
This clarification also indicates my experience at a gathering where I chanted my oriki (eulogy) and a Benin man in our midst asked if I am from Benin. I quickly replied, telling him that my own Akogun is the one of Oba Aajo in Ado-Odo. Now, let’s imagine a person who doesn’t know his roots!
The history tells us that Oba Aajo was ruling Ado-Odo at Iga Idosiki and later dethroned at Iga Idakogun where Comrade Oniseogun Idowu, the writer of this clarification was born in 1965. This happened mainly because the Oba accepted the Missionaries.
The source of this ancient historical background warranted my family to be part of the “Onigboro Ojeje” (the first ruling house in Ado-Odo).
Honestly, before and after this clarification, there is no Oba that will be enthroned in Ado-Odo who would not count legs at Oba Aajo Hill at Iga Idakogun. Meanwhile, his statue is also mounted at a popular junction named Ado-Odo garage.
This congent information was gathered from my late uncle, Elder Oniseogun Adeotan who died at the age of ninety-five (95) in the year 1997. But at the time of this information, no date was ascertained.
Our Ancient Awori Kingdom named Ado-Odo would not have suffered a setback if it had permanently remained under Lagos State. The switch-over to Ogun State was implemented by the former President Olusegun Obasanjo (during military era), simply because of the industries located at Agbara/Igbesa and Ota.
The Oba Aajo descendants are many in Lagos and Ogun State but few to mention like Oniseogun, Amore, Oluwa, Ojora, Obanla, Talabi, Adebowale, Akapo, Alagbe, Oladele, etc.
In view of the above, this serves as a conviction and also pertinent to note that the Benins are only our Oduduwa brothers and sisters and not part of us in Awori Land.
My humble advise goes to my brothers and sisters both at home and in diaspora to kindly cultivate the spirit of unity “Ntori oosu owo lamemu peesin o”.
WITH ONEROUS RASK, WE SHALL SUCCEED.

Written by:
Comrade Idowu Victor Oniseogun
Of the Oniseogun Family,
From Iga-Idakogun,
Ado-Odo.
A Staff of Administrative Staff College of Nigeria (ASCON), Topo-Badagry.

(1) (Reply)

2 Three Bedroom Flat For Sell / The Dos And Don’ts Of Property Transactions In Nigeria / 3 Bedroom Flat In Magodo G.r.a. Shangesha, All Room Ensuit, Up Stairs. Very Spac

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.