Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,440 members, 7,808,575 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:38 PM

How To Prevent HIV After You Have Been Exposed. - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / How To Prevent HIV After You Have Been Exposed. (33914 Views)

London Patient ‘cleared’ Of HIV After Bone Marrow Transplant / A Virgin Girl Contracted HIV After Having Her First Sex - Twitter User / MUST READ: How To Prevent HIV After You Have Been Exposed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Prevent HIV After You Have Been Exposed. by Nobody: 10:40am On Apr 27, 2018
OP, you should have talked more about PreP
Re: How To Prevent HIV After You Have Been Exposed. by Mutemenot(m): 10:41am On Apr 27, 2018
This topic is not too good to be here. Many would be encouraged to fvck raw with the hope of taking the drugs which may not go well at the end. We Nigerians don't take warning seriously, we only choose the otjer way round
Re: How To Prevent HIV After You Have Been Exposed. by tballeyy(m): 10:41am On Apr 27, 2018
I think nothing like HIV again in our Nigeria ladies again.

Abi I dey lie, ladies reply
Re: How To Prevent HIV After You Have Been Exposed. by Neyoh90(m): 10:41am On Apr 27, 2018
CONTACT bawo....I am not understanding oooo. CONTRACT is the right word. Google is your friend
bayocanny:

until you contact it
Re: How To Prevent HIV After You Have Been Exposed. by Nobody: 10:49am On Apr 27, 2018
Tednersy:

I don't even have sex and I saw a post of a panicked person that's why I chose to share.

You don't even have sex? Really? What are you? Some type of alien cyborg? cheesy
Re: How To Prevent HIV After You Have Been Exposed. by frugal(m): 10:51am On Apr 27, 2018
akeentech:
I don't believe HIV is real
Yeah right. Some people like Seun don't believe there's a God. Doesn't make it any less true.
Re: How To Prevent HIV After You Have Been Exposed. by Eagba(m): 10:52am On Apr 27, 2018
I've been there
Re: How To Prevent HIV After You Have Been Exposed. by Chuksmonika(m): 11:01am On Apr 27, 2018
presxtyxx:
go get a life,scammer!
Re: How To Prevent HIV After You Have Been Exposed. by deolurexy1(m): 11:01am On Apr 27, 2018
akeentech:
Even condoms producers these days market it based on performance than protection
Re: How To Prevent HIV After You Have Been Exposed. by danthamccoy(m): 11:02am On Apr 27, 2018
akeentech:
It's 2018 bro. This is really sad. If this is true and not a poor attempt at trolling please do some research so you can emancipate yourself from this mindset. Willful ignorance is never cool.
Re: How To Prevent HIV After You Have Been Exposed. by salveoP(m): 11:05am On Apr 27, 2018
edoman2016:
Why must someone only get the PEP drug at government hospital? Can't registered pharmacies be allowed to sell the drug as well?
Registered Pharmacies are allowed to sell ARV drugs, but these drugs could be very expensive and as such affordability may affect d patient's compliance to d drugs. However, these drugs are available free of charge at government hospitals. Nevertheless, there is a concrete arrangement by some NGOs to involve community pharmacies in d dispensing of ARV drugs (free of charge)...

1 Like

Re: How To Prevent HIV After You Have Been Exposed. by danthamccoy(m): 11:06am On Apr 27, 2018
Mutemenot:
This topic is not too good to be here. Many would be encouraged to fvck raw with the hope of taking the drugs which may not go well at the end. We Nigerians don't take warning seriously, we only choose the otjer way round
Condoms do not only protect one from HIV. Apart from pregnancy, there is a host of other STDs that can be contracted from unprotected sex.
Besides, if you would prefer to take AR drugs for 30 days and constantly monitor yourself for HIV just so you can have fun for 20 minutes then I don't know again.

1 Like

Re: How To Prevent HIV After You Have Been Exposed. by Nobody: 11:06am On Apr 27, 2018
Evil western hegemons created HIV, and have been making billions of dollars from the drugs ever since...
God will judge dem.
Milllz:

The drugs are quite expensive and are available for free at government hospitals and would be a waste stocking them at private pharmacies. There’s no restrictions on pharmacies selling them. Some do have them though.

1 Like

Re: How To Prevent HIV After You Have Been Exposed. by Xkalaban(m): 11:09am On Apr 27, 2018
Does PEP fight other diseases too or just HIV?
Re: How To Prevent HIV After You Have Been Exposed. by Rozaytee: 11:13am On Apr 27, 2018
akeentech:
wen u finally have it den u will know it's real

1 Like

Re: How To Prevent HIV After You Have Been Exposed. by AreaFada2: 11:21am On Apr 27, 2018
edoman2016:
Why must someone only get the PEP drug at government hospital? Can't registered pharmacies be allowed to sell the drug as well?

The drug is prescription drug. If sold in pharmacies it would also be prohibitively expensive for majority of people in 9ja. It cannot be subsidised and given to pharmacies to sell.

However, availability is still not good enough. Considering that treatment needs to start within 72 hours. There should be special sexual health clinics across every town and city. To avoid scam, patients could be asked to come in daily/as required to get each dose.
Re: How To Prevent HIV After You Have Been Exposed. by joenor(m): 11:22am On Apr 27, 2018
Are you saying if you don't know and u have sex with someone with the virus, u can start the AVR drug to clear out the virus? Ok let say u had the sex today and tomrrw u were told he or she have the virus, it expedient u start taking the AVR drug immediately?
Re: How To Prevent HIV After You Have Been Exposed. by AreaFada2: 11:31am On Apr 27, 2018
joenor:
Are you saying if you don't know and u have sex with someone with the virus, u can start the AVR drug to clear out the virus? Ok let say u had the sex today and tomrrw u were told he or she have the virus, it expedient u start taking the AVR drug immediately?

Sorry the question is not directed at me but let me chip in. One can start treatment within 72 hours of possible exposure. It can just be that you were drunk and had raw sex with a girl you just met, not knowing her status. Or condom burst but you didn't know soon enough. If you find out the sex partner has HIV with 72 hours (extremely rare that people find out so soon after) then definitely IMPERATIVE to take PEP.

In my experience, gay people seem more aware of PEP in terms of coming forward to take it. They appear generally more informed than the average hetero people. Not in 9ja set up though.
Re: How To Prevent HIV After You Have Been Exposed. by drkay(m): 11:33am On Apr 27, 2018
Nice post.
Re: How To Prevent HIV After You Have Been Exposed. by akeentech(m): 11:53am On Apr 27, 2018
Rozaytee:
wen u finally have it den u will know it's real
Do you have it? btw u make sense
Re: How To Prevent HIV After You Have Been Exposed. by Rozaytee: 12:02pm On Apr 27, 2018
akeentech:
Do you have it? btw u make sense
u will have HIV.. shocked
Re: How To Prevent HIV After You Have Been Exposed. by piagetskinner(m): 12:19pm On Apr 27, 2018
abstinence remains the best option...

that being said, is it only through sex and sharing of needles that a person can contact HIV...what about kissing, sharing of toilet esp unhygienic people
Re: How To Prevent HIV After You Have Been Exposed. by Nobody: 12:57pm On Apr 27, 2018
Ire2:

You don't even have sex? Really? What are you? Some type of alien cyborg? cheesy
Yes
Re: How To Prevent HIV After You Have Been Exposed. by akeentech(m): 1:53pm On Apr 27, 2018
Rozaytee:
u will have HIV.. shocked
From you bah?
Re: How To Prevent HIV After You Have Been Exposed. by Bilany(f): 2:12pm On Apr 27, 2018
Very informative post. This should make front page. At least girls will know what to do after being raped.
Lalasticlala come and see. If it's Big Brother Nigeria post it would make front page even without a comment.

1 Like

Re: How To Prevent HIV After You Have Been Exposed. by Icon79(m): 2:34pm On Apr 27, 2018
And are you going to cut your tongue as well shocked

O pari

Thegamingorca:
Cut your prick

It's more economical
Re: How To Prevent HIV After You Have Been Exposed. by snowblaq(f): 4:16pm On Apr 27, 2018
edoman2016:

Why would someone choose to buy what can be gotten for free at Government facilities?.... Especially for the low income earners.
It's sold in some Pharmacies though.
Re: How To Prevent HIV After You Have Been Exposed. by Nobody: 4:24pm On Apr 27, 2018
Tednersy:

If you’re HIV-negative or don’t know your HIV status, and in the last 72 hours you

-think you may have been exposed to HIV during sex (for example, if the condom broke),
- shared needles and works to prepare drugs (for example, cotton, cookers, water),
- or were sexually assaulted,

talk to your health care provider or an emergency room doctor about PEP right away.

PEP should be used only in emergency situations and must be started within 72 hours after a recent possible exposure to HIV. It is not a substitute for regular use of other proven HIV prevention methods, such as pre-exposure prophylaxis (PrEP), which means taking HIV medicines daily to lower your chance of getting infected; using condoms the right way every time you have sex; and using only your own new, sterile needles and works every time you inject.

PEP is effective, but not 100%, so you should continue to use condoms with sex partners and safe injection practices while taking PEP. These strategies can protect you from being exposed to HIV again and reduce the chances of transmitting HIV to others if you do become infected while you’re on PEP.

What is PEP?

PEP (post-exposure prophylaxis) means taking antiretroviral medicines (ART) after being potentially exposed to HIV to prevent becoming infected.

Where can you get it?

You can get it for free at any government run hospital.

Instead of dying of anxiety you can help prevent a lifetime of taking pills by taking PEP for 30 days. The side effects could be nasty for some people while some do not experience any side effect at all.

Marketing.
Re: How To Prevent HIV After You Have Been Exposed. by Riversides2003(m): 5:32pm On Apr 27, 2018
edoman2016:

Our Igbos brothers will fakify it, and will cos more death.
Re: How To Prevent HIV After You Have Been Exposed. by omojesu202(m): 7:50pm On Apr 27, 2018
NotBeenPaid:

Is spiritual bah?

Go and bleep a roadside olosho without nylon..

I have done that before, the girl was so sweet n devil aloud me to have just one condom that night... I couldn't resist d temptation, I gave her four more rounds without condom... she's like d best pussi I ever had.
a complete street girl, she even came with marijuana without my knowledge.
I did my test several months later in a reputable lab n it's negative.
Re: How To Prevent HIV After You Have Been Exposed. by Rozaytee: 4:12am On Apr 28, 2018
akeentech:

From you bah?
were u wan see me na...u go catch am while ur dick dey wander about
Re: How To Prevent HIV After You Have Been Exposed. by akeentech(m): 5:27am On Apr 28, 2018
Rozaytee:
were u wan see me na...u go catch am while ur dick dey wander about
Babe let's chat privately, see my WhatsApp in my signature

(1) (2) (Reply)

Help: I Am Having Diffculty Fallen Asleep / Panic As America Quarantines 81 Ebola Suspects / Lassa Fever: Avoid Drinking Garri To Avoid Infection

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.