Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,972 members, 7,806,813 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 01:45 AM

Minimum Wage: Labour Settles For N66,500 Nationwide - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Minimum Wage: Labour Settles For N66,500 Nationwide (32831 Views)

NLC Slams Governors’ Forum, Demands N66,500 Minimum Wage / Tinubu Settles For Ambode, Despite Aregbesola’s Plot - ThisDay / PDP Settles For Atiku & Fayose As Presidential Candidate & VP Respectively - SR (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Minimum Wage: Labour Settles For N66,500 Nationwide by THEWRITERSMIND: 1:06am On Apr 27, 2018
The organised labour on Thursday in Lagos asked for a new minimum wage of N66,500 for all workers in the country.

The organised labour made the demand at the ‘Public Hearing on National Minimum Wage for Nigerian Workers,’ organised by the Tripartite Committee on the National Minimum Wage for the South-West zone in Alausa, Ikeja.

Presenting the memoranda of the Nigerian Labour Congress, and the Trade Union Congress, Agnes Sessi, the chairman, Political Committee, NLC, Lagos State, said the current wage structure could not sustain any worker.

According to her, the two labour bodies had agreed that there should be an upward review of the minimum wage to meet the current economic realities.

She said, “Based on the current realities, the two labour unions want a new monthly national minimum wage of N66,500, which is approximately the average of the implied minimum wages derived under three approaches.”

“The approaches are: Comparative analysis based on minimum wages in some African countries, an estimate of the monthly minimum cost of providing basic needs to a family of six and two dependants, as well as an analysis based on rising cost of living over time.”

The Association of Senior Civil Servants of Nigeria, Lagos branch, aligned with the NLC and TUC in asking for N66,500 new minimum wage.

The spokesperson for the association, Akeem Kazeem, said the upward review of the national minimum wage was long overdue.

In his address, the Lagos State Governor, Akinwunmi Ambode, represented by the state Head of Service, Folasade Adesoye, said there was the need for workers to be reasonably remunerated.

“The issue, however, which I believe is more peculiar to the public sector, is striking a balance between what goes into recurrent expenditure — of which salaries and allowances are a major component — and the ability of government to fulfil its obligations to the larger society.”

He said stakeholders should be flexible in their demands in the overall interest of everyone.

Earlier, the Chairman, Tripartite Committee on the National Minimum Wage and the Governor of Kebbi State, Atiku Bagudu, who was represented by the Deputy Governor, Col. Samaila Dabai (retd.), said the tripartite committee would still organise more public hearings.

https://www.financialwatchngr.com/2018/04/27/minimum-wage-labour-settles-for-n66500-nationwide/

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Minimum Wage: Labour Settles For N66,500 Nationwide by TheBlessedMAN: 1:28am On Apr 27, 2018
Below is a copy from a page in the diary of a pained Nigerian.

Dear diary... I know its been long since the last time I paid you a visit. Please understand that its the reflection of the hardship have been enduring since I ignorantly voted for one dullard wey get long neck like the devil's walking stick in 2015.

The last food I told you I ate in 2014 before the demential dullard became president was fried rice and chicken, but unfortunately, I never eat anything close to that in ages. Infact I don't even know what fried rice looks like again.

In conclusion, I'm going to use all my power and might to make sure I correct the mistake I made in 2015 by voting out this disgusting leader.

Till next time, please pray I don't die of hunger before then.

65 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Minimum Wage: Labour Settles For N66,500 Nationwide by thesicilian: 1:33am On Apr 27, 2018
Dead on arrival.

5 Likes

Re: Minimum Wage: Labour Settles For N66,500 Nationwide by Olalan(m): 1:54am On Apr 27, 2018
Organised labour are been unrealistic with their demands, with the current realities of the economy the federal government can't afford to pay such not to talk about state govt.
In as much as the wage needs an upward review, 66,500 is not realistic.
Seen lots of mentions but I need facts to backup claims that both the state and federal govt. can comfortably pay this wages without downsizing the current workforce, also people need to realise that we have a over bloated civil service with people doing partially nothing yet getting paid monthly.
If the govt. Is serious an enabling economic environment that will enable more investors come into the country and establish industries is what we need.

34 Likes 1 Share

Re: Minimum Wage: Labour Settles For N66,500 Nationwide by Nobody: 1:55am On Apr 27, 2018
Most of them can't even pay the present one not to talk of this.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Minimum Wage: Labour Settles For N66,500 Nationwide by Feemmy(m): 2:15am On Apr 27, 2018
I Pray oh

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Minimum Wage: Labour Settles For N66,500 Nationwide by desoul2004(m): 4:56am On Apr 27, 2018
Olalan:
Organised labour are been unrealistic with their demands, with the current realities of the economy the federal government can't afford to pay such not to talk about state govt.
In as much as the wage needs an upward review, 66,500 is not realistic

But the millions, which our senators and other politicians are carrying is realistic. You're part of our problem.

221 Likes 13 Shares

Re: Minimum Wage: Labour Settles For N66,500 Nationwide by pinkguy(m): 7:35am On Apr 27, 2018
Check my signature if not a government worker and you want to earns more than that
Re: Minimum Wage: Labour Settles For N66,500 Nationwide by justineu(m): 8:46am On Apr 27, 2018
desoul2004:

But the millions, which our senators and other politicians are carrying is realistic. You're part of our problem.
don't mind the clown. The nass receive millions just to seat in a chair for 30 min, the civil servant who work 5days in a wk fr 9 hrs are paid peanut. This country is a joke.. A dead zone.

115 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Minimum Wage: Labour Settles For N66,500 Nationwide by ekems2017(f): 8:56am On Apr 27, 2018
In this Buhari regime? I laugh in Swahili
Labour strike loading!!!!

5 Likes

Re: Minimum Wage: Labour Settles For N66,500 Nationwide by NwaAmaikpe: 8:57am On Apr 27, 2018
shocked

That is outrageous.

The Labour unions are being so unrealistic.
Nigeria's minimum wage should not exceed 19,800.
Nigeria is a sick and broken third-world country for crying out loud and should not try to imitate already established countries like the USA.

We should all be patient till the country is healthy before we can enjoy it's true wealth.

14 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Minimum Wage: Labour Settles For N66,500 Nationwide by DIYhackers: 8:57am On Apr 27, 2018
Shoot for the stars, you'd land in the moon.

1 Like

Re: Minimum Wage: Labour Settles For N66,500 Nationwide by lexy2014: 8:57am On Apr 27, 2018
Olalan:
are u d minister of finance?

13 Likes

Re: Minimum Wage: Labour Settles For N66,500 Nationwide by merits(m): 8:57am On Apr 27, 2018
yea! this is my time to start assuming with my landlord.any nonsense from him will land him dirty from me.......i will show him minimum wage is awaiting me soon

1 Like

Re: Minimum Wage: Labour Settles For N66,500 Nationwide by Resees: 8:57am On Apr 27, 2018
justineu:
don't mind the clown. The nass receive millions just to seat in a chair for 30 min, the civil servant who work 5days in a wk fr 9 hrs are paid peanut. This country is a joke.. A dead zone.

You must enjoy your Buharis change.

1 Like

Re: Minimum Wage: Labour Settles For N66,500 Nationwide by Nobody: 8:58am On Apr 27, 2018
Ok.. Nice one
Re: Minimum Wage: Labour Settles For N66,500 Nationwide by amiibaby(f): 8:58am On Apr 27, 2018
Hmm

1 Like

Re: Minimum Wage: Labour Settles For N66,500 Nationwide by dadavivo: 8:58am On Apr 27, 2018
Campaign strategy
Re: Minimum Wage: Labour Settles For N66,500 Nationwide by Nobody: 8:59am On Apr 27, 2018
ekems2017:
In this Buhari regime? I laugh in Swahili
Buhari your nightmare cheesy
Re: Minimum Wage: Labour Settles For N66,500 Nationwide by olaoreawofele: 8:59am On Apr 27, 2018
If they ask you to come out to demonstrate to stop the politicians from looting, will you? And, who are the accomplishes to the politicians looting?

desoul2004:

1 Like

Re: Minimum Wage: Labour Settles For N66,500 Nationwide by Sparkle777(f): 8:59am On Apr 27, 2018
Can states meet up?
Re: Minimum Wage: Labour Settles For N66,500 Nationwide by autotrader014(m): 8:59am On Apr 27, 2018
Olalan:

That is why our recurrent expenditure is far more than our capital expenditure.. Over dependent on the government.. Until we have an efficient and effective private sector, we are not going anywere..

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Minimum Wage: Labour Settles For N66,500 Nationwide by rainylad(f): 9:00am On Apr 27, 2018
Story for zombies..who will pay this money?..,certainly not APC/buhari,in thiis life and next.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Minimum Wage: Labour Settles For N66,500 Nationwide by wwwtortoise(m): 9:01am On Apr 27, 2018
Good move

However the state and federal government should 1st pay civil servants salary arrears they owe.

Our theory government will rather sniff life out of this move than implement it.
Re: Minimum Wage: Labour Settles For N66,500 Nationwide by obi4eze(m): 9:01am On Apr 27, 2018
Buhari is very adamant. He will not pay. After all, he said the youths in Nigeria don't like to do anything.
Re: Minimum Wage: Labour Settles For N66,500 Nationwide by Flexy2vybes(m): 9:01am On Apr 27, 2018
Evn if 66,500 myt nt aceptd by FG, at least 40sumtin wud'nt b bad. d issue is wen wil dz b a reality. Cuz as d economy dy so ....boys ar nt smiling

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Minimum Wage: Labour Settles For N66,500 Nationwide by JJBROS(m): 9:02am On Apr 27, 2018
WILL THIS MINIMUM WAGE OF A THING WORK?
Re: Minimum Wage: Labour Settles For N66,500 Nationwide by Reelmii: 9:02am On Apr 27, 2018
all na propaganda, belive at ur own risk
Re: Minimum Wage: Labour Settles For N66,500 Nationwide by rejosom(m): 9:02am On Apr 27, 2018
justineu:

There will never be enough for the greedy in Nigeria....But there is always MORE than enough for the needy. ~Sowore2019

8 Likes

Re: Minimum Wage: Labour Settles For N66,500 Nationwide by Nobody: 9:02am On Apr 27, 2018
Please get it close to N100k.

Nigeria is a rich country jare smiley

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Pauline Tallen Says ‘Amen’ To Anti-Aisha Buhari Prayer - Gazette / Refugees From Togo Spotted In Ikoyi This Morning (photos) / Buhari Arrives Ogun, Set To Commission Amosun’s Projects [Photos]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.