Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,752 members, 7,802,307 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 12:15 PM

"They Use Hausa To Teach English Language In The North" - Kano Corper Claims - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / "They Use Hausa To Teach English Language In The North" - Kano Corper Claims (29469 Views)

Zamfara Includes Fulfulde (Fulani) Language In Curriculum / How A Friend Used Her Best Friend To Teach Her Pupils In Class (Photos) / What's A Person Who Studies/studied English Language Called? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "They Use Hausa To Teach English Language In The North" - Kano Corper Claims by Nobody: 1:24pm On Apr 27, 2018
Purewatermeji:
angry Rubbish. Is English their language? How many British can speak Hausa language? Their religion encourages teachings in Arabic.This is why we condemn the removal of the Islamic inscriptions on the centenary notes. It's a symbol of Arabic pride and a motivation for northern Muslims who doesn't like to speak English

In other words we should go our separate ways because we are not people of same understanding, culture, tradition or religion

Nigeria is an Islamic country but the Christian are blind to see it

A country claiming agrophone country takes Arabic teaching more seriously than the general English accepted as common language
Re: "They Use Hausa To Teach English Language In The North" - Kano Corper Claims by nnokwa042(m): 1:24pm On Apr 27, 2018
Purewatermeji:
angry Rubbish. Is English their language? How many British can speak Hausa language? Their religion encourages teachings in Arabic.This is why we condemn the removal of the Islamic inscriptions on the centenary notes. It's a symbol of Arabic pride and a motivation for northern Muslims who doesn't like to speak English
is Arabic
language of northerners? How many Saudi people understand hausa? Islam really dealt with northerners thank God am from south ooh,may 72 virgins fall on you

1 Like

Re: "They Use Hausa To Teach English Language In The North" - Kano Corper Claims by ricki: 1:26pm On Apr 27, 2018
Purewatermeji:

Actually, english is dere language......

English are the Anglo-saxon. Anglo translate to Angel and Saxon translates to sons of saka (sacs, sakae,sakaxon ishiaka ) in Greekolatin Isaac. Thus the angels of the house of Isaac. We went into slavery and our heritage stolen from us.
Re: "They Use Hausa To Teach English Language In The North" - Kano Corper Claims by martineverest(m): 1:27pm On Apr 27, 2018
Kolping:
I think people are missing the whole aspect of language in education. The official language of a country determines the language in which it's citizens are taught.
In Kenya, the official languages are Swahili and English.
In China, it is Chinese.
In Japan, Japanese.
In Italy, Italian.
In France, French.
In UK, English.
In North Korea, Korean.
In Nigeria, the official language is English.
In South Africa, they have 11 official languages - Afrikaans, English, Ndebele, Northern Sotho, Sotho, SiSwati, Tsonga, Tswana, Venda, Xhosa and Zulu.
So for most countries, it is not really a preference but a choice that has been made decades ago based on the fact that majority of the original inhabitants belong to one ethnic group (except of course in most of Africa in which countries were created by foreigners).

In Nigeria, none of the major languages listed as Hausa, Igbo and Yoruba can be imposed on the whole country as an official language because of the numerous ethnic groups and languages. The major languages are usually used for teaching at the state or regional levels in primary schools.

u are not quite correct.... in northern Nigeria,the official language is Hausa first,then English...... same with west+(.Yoruba and 3nglish) and east(Ibo and English)......it's not wrong to mix English with hausa.most of them are more comfortable teaching in their native dialet
Re: "They Use Hausa To Teach English Language In The North" - Kano Corper Claims by Nobody: 1:28pm On Apr 27, 2018
PointZerom:

Immhotep must hear this cheesy
lonelydora experienced the quota system of education properly.
Sai baba grin grin

cc lzaa onyeoga

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "They Use Hausa To Teach English Language In The North" - Kano Corper Claims by Nobody: 1:28pm On Apr 27, 2018
dododawa1:
Who school and English language helped in Nigeria.
don't sound funny here when the matter is serious
Re: "They Use Hausa To Teach English Language In The North" - Kano Corper Claims by Elitecee(m): 1:30pm On Apr 27, 2018
North are too backward in everything
Re: "They Use Hausa To Teach English Language In The North" - Kano Corper Claims by OriginalCEO: 1:30pm On Apr 27, 2018
Purewatermeji:
angry Rubbish. Is English their language? How many British can speak Hausa language? Their religion encourages teachings in Arabic.

comot dia abeg.. V u neva heard of Lingua Franca, we were colonised by britain which qualified their english as our english.. Aw wil dey comunicate outside dier geographical zone?
Re: "They Use Hausa To Teach English Language In The North" - Kano Corper Claims by martineverest(m): 1:33pm On Apr 27, 2018
OriginalCEO:

comot dia abeg.. V u neva heard of Lingua Franca, we were colonised by britain which qualified their english as our english.. Aw wil dey comunicate outside dier geographical zone?
do u realise Hausa is the man Lingua franca in the north
Re: "They Use Hausa To Teach English Language In The North" - Kano Corper Claims by AngryRebel: 1:34pm On Apr 27, 2018
Purewatermeji:
we don see u...idiotic pigs of Buhari
Re: "They Use Hausa To Teach English Language In The North" - Kano Corper Claims by Nobody: 1:35pm On Apr 27, 2018
musicwriter:

Because they need cheap work force in Europe. Its still the same colonialism repackaged for modern time.

Not while we're breeding with their women. Whites will become minority in their own country thanks to capitalist greed and white guilt.
Re: "They Use Hausa To Teach English Language In The North" - Kano Corper Claims by OGHENAOGIE(m): 1:41pm On Apr 27, 2018
[quote author=Nnemuka post=67074006]I schooled in one of the unity schools up north as far back as 2007 and what they all said here are pure lies.
Most of our teachers at a point left to lecture in Federal universities and i can say majority are now professors.
Quit the lies, attack Buhari if you hate him but don't discredit what we had back in those days. sad[/quotpe] I think you shd be the to take a chill here guys are sharing experience you are doubting it... Perhaps it's prevalent in the north but this incidence is not far from the South to in anambra wer I served.. De were students in secondary school who couldn't read nor write well...go to dat ur unity school and check the framework it is today...lets be realistic our educational system is in shambles and deserve a state of emergency on it...yy ll teachers run to teach in university self if we care about standard...wat is bad having PhD teach in secondary schools...today cos of lack of regulation we have a litany of private schools wer most are substandard ...be dat as it may there is nothing bad for us to have a system where things can be taught in local languages of the area plus English like India China and other countries do....i rest my case
Re: "They Use Hausa To Teach English Language In The North" - Kano Corper Claims by xty50(f): 1:44pm On Apr 27, 2018
Something that "can" happen almost everywhere u ppl would just make it special becos is the "North". I served in akwa ibom.taught in a Govt.school most of them cannot communicate with English.they understand better when their indigenous teachers teach them with their dialect.
Re: "They Use Hausa To Teach English Language In The North" - Kano Corper Claims by musicwriter(m): 1:46pm On Apr 27, 2018
Admin401:

Not while we're breeding with their women. Whites will become minority in their own country thanks to capitalist greed and white guilt.

That's a good proposal, but in that case what you would eventually create is a sub-race that's neither African nor European. The MOST EFFECTIVE way to colonize people is to colonize their language and religion. If you have that in your plans, we will indeed create Africa in Europe, which is what Europeans have successfully done in Africa.

Bottom line: its not possible without exporting African languages and religion to Europe.
Re: "They Use Hausa To Teach English Language In The North" - Kano Corper Claims by OGHENAOGIE(m): 1:47pm On Apr 27, 2018
Onechancearmy:

You people should think first before embarassing yourselves with patently unintelligent comments.

All the countries you mentioned are not multi-ethnic in nature like Nigeria. They can use their indigenous languages without inconveniencing anyone because everyone speaks the language.

Countries that are large and have many ethnic nationalities(Nigeria, United States, Russia etc) usually adopt a single language for ease of integration.

Nigeria has over 400 ethnic groups. If everyone decides to speak his own language, it will be a recreation of the Tower of Babel.

The only way this native tongue policy can be fully implemented is for everyone to go his own way and establish his own country. But if anyone talks about separation you Almajiris will be the first ones to cry a bucket of tears.
Oga India has over 20 official languages including English nobody said English ll be thrown to the background but an incorporation of language of the area...let me ask is Yoruba not generic to south west same as igbo den Hausa to major Hausa states.... It's doable
Re: "They Use Hausa To Teach English Language In The North" - Kano Corper Claims by yazach: 1:48pm On Apr 27, 2018
Onechancearmy:

You people should think first before embarassing yourselves with patently unintelligent comments.

All the countries you mentioned are not multi-ethnic in nature like Nigeria. They can use their indigenous languages without inconveniencing anyone because everyone speaks the language.

Countries that are large and have many ethnic nationalities(Nigeria, United States, Russia etc) usually adopt a single language for ease of integration.

Nigeria has over 400 ethnic groups. If everyone decides to speak his own language, it will be a recreation of the Tower of Babel.

The only way this native tongue policy can be fully implemented is for everyone to go his own way and establish his own country. But if anyone talks about separation you Almajiris will be the first ones to cry a bucket of tears.
It seems head is paining you
Re: "They Use Hausa To Teach English Language In The North" - Kano Corper Claims by godofuck231: 1:52pm On Apr 27, 2018
Emmaoga:
who is this

The cow of daura
Re: "They Use Hausa To Teach English Language In The North" - Kano Corper Claims by chakula: 1:55pm On Apr 27, 2018
Montez90:
Any Corper teaching in the north is wasting his time

You are not right. We stayed with a corper for more than ten month teaching us phonology which he himself need to be oriented on the said course he was teaching. A times when we asked question the responses shall be not courageous at all or he will turn it to be an assignment. You see not every corper is doing well especially in teaching.
Re: "They Use Hausa To Teach English Language In The North" - Kano Corper Claims by Olabestonic001(m): 1:58pm On Apr 27, 2018
Purewatermeji:

Hope this is just sarcasm?
Re: "They Use Hausa To Teach English Language In The North" - Kano Corper Claims by mu2sa2: 2:00pm On Apr 27, 2018
ovadozes:
There is nothing really wrong in using the mother tongue to teach English in as much as it is properly translated. While growing up in the east one of the ways our teachers used to teach us English language was to write Igbo words and then translate them in English and vice versa, it makes it easier for the pupil to understand. So if they can write down words in Hausa and translate properly, I don't see anything wrong with that.
This is the teaching method used in rural areas across nigeria/Africa.Those children will finish school as bilinguals. They already speak their language fluently, so they use that language to teach them english. Let the ignoramus continue to expose themselves on nl.
Re: "They Use Hausa To Teach English Language In The North" - Kano Corper Claims by MikeBetty(m): 2:00pm On Apr 27, 2018
Purewatermeji:
This Is The Height Of Foolishness. Is Arabic Our Lingua Franca? That Is Why After Being Half Baked On The Arabic Poo And Appointed Minister To Represent the Nation In International Fora They Will End Up Insulting Nigerians. Shame On Them, Will They Be Given Arabic Script Knowing That Our Official Language Is English?
Re: "They Use Hausa To Teach English Language In The North" - Kano Corper Claims by Onechancearmy(m): 2:02pm On Apr 27, 2018
OGHENAOGIE:
Oga India has over 20 official languages including English nobody said English ll be thrown to the background but an incorporation of language of the area...let me ask is Yoruba not generic to south west same as igbo den Hausa to major Hausa states.... It's doable

India is the size of 20 different countries put together. Theirs is an exceptional case. Some states in India have populations of over 100 million people, all speaking the same language. What works for them will not work for us.
Re: "They Use Hausa To Teach English Language In The North" - Kano Corper Claims by OGHENAOGIE(m): 2:10pm On Apr 27, 2018
Onechancearmy:

India is the size of 20 different countries put together. Theirs is an exceptional case. Some states in India have populations of over 100 million people, all speaking the same language. What works for them will not work for us.
what language is prevalent in south west Yoruba what language in south east igbo in most state in north Hausa is prevalent... So Wat are u saying sir....it's about a working system and a national framework
Re: "They Use Hausa To Teach English Language In The North" - Kano Corper Claims by dgrand: 2:11pm On Apr 27, 2018
Same in south
most of them only speak pidgin
Re: "They Use Hausa To Teach English Language In The North" - Kano Corper Claims by aribisala0(m): 2:12pm On Apr 27, 2018
Onechancearmy:

Nigeria is the size of 20 countries put together.
Nigeria too is exceptional

ECOWAS has 15 states and Nigeria alone accounts for more than half the population of ECOWAS. Some states in Nigeria have the population of several countries

1 Like

Re: "They Use Hausa To Teach English Language In The North" - Kano Corper Claims by Clentuzbaba(m): 2:12pm On Apr 27, 2018
Purewatermeji:

Is Arabic their language as well?
Re: "They Use Hausa To Teach English Language In The North" - Kano Corper Claims by mu2sa2: 2:13pm On Apr 27, 2018
RealIgboboy:
You haven't seen anything yet. Their leaders have discouraged them from western education. All they know is Hausa. The worst part of it is that they are not progressive at all in all level. They don't like mixing up with other tribes at least to learn one or two things from them rather stick to their archaic method of doing things.
For this naija, I have zero it, na God hand we dey ooo
The children are in school and you are saying they are "discouraged from western education"! Haba, you people are taking your anti-north sentiments too far.
Re: "They Use Hausa To Teach English Language In The North" - Kano Corper Claims by Gerrard59(m): 2:17pm On Apr 27, 2018
yazach:
Welcome Idea

Many developed nations use their mother language

China still use Chinese
Japan use their language
North Korea
USA
UK
Italy
France

This is a poor way of reasoning. Is English the official language of those countries? How do you use Hausa language to teach English? sad

1 Like

Re: "They Use Hausa To Teach English Language In The North" - Kano Corper Claims by TEYA: 2:18pm On Apr 27, 2018
lonelydora:
Yes nah. And that's why when you see an educated Hausa man, he is very intelligent. The local language makes them understand it.

While serving in Kebbi State in 2006 as a maths teacher in JSS Karaye, Maiyama LGA. I have one Musa who interprets mathematics to the JS 3 students. Musa did his primary school in sokoto and can speak pidgin English.

When i say 2 + 2 = 4, students will ask Musa in Hausa what that means, Musa will ask me in pidgin...i will explain to Musa in pidgin and he will explain to the class in Hausa.

I taught JS3 students addition, subtraction, divison...then we couldn't treat multiplication because they stopped coming to school due to the confusion it caused them. They preferred Makaranta Islamia to the Western education. Principal asked me to stop. Junior WAEC is a story for another day.

My service year was fun shaa!
What made it fun? Ehn? Tell me. I am all ears.

1 Like

Re: "They Use Hausa To Teach English Language In The North" - Kano Corper Claims by Kennydoc(m): 2:18pm On Apr 27, 2018
ovadozes:
There is nothing really wrong in using the mother tongue to teach English in as much as it is properly translated. While growing up in the east one of the ways our teachers used to teach us English language was to write Igbo words and then translate them in English and vice versa, it makes it easier for the pupil to understand. So if they can write down words in Hausa and translate properly, I don't see anything wrong with that.

Oga, that's for ọta akara (kindergarten) and maybe primary 1.
I did my primary school in rural settings in the South East. As at primary 2, we were reading Macmillan English Course comprehension passages and answering the questions. I remember this passage:

Ali and Omo went to fetch water. Ali saw a bird flying. I know a story about the bird, he said. One day, the bird asked his mother for some money, she gave him some. The next day, he asked sorts some more money, she gave him some more. The next day he asked for some more money, the mother said no, she would not give him any more money. The bird was angry. He took up his mother and threw her into the fire...

In primary 3, we were reading "Edet lives in Calabar, he is eight years old..."
Re: "They Use Hausa To Teach English Language In The North" - Kano Corper Claims by LZAA: 2:19pm On Apr 27, 2018
immhotep:
lonelydora experienced the quota system of education properly. Sai baba grin grin
cc lzaa onyeoga
grin grin itsmeaboki wee avoid ds thread

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "They Use Hausa To Teach English Language In The North" - Kano Corper Claims by TEYA: 2:20pm On Apr 27, 2018
iamawara:
Nonsense. Am a corp member serving in the south south. Same thing is happening here.
Lol please tell us the story. I though southern Nigeria is 100% literate.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

6-9-3 Universal Basic Education (UBE) Scheme To Replace 6-3-3-4 / Nairalander Recreates High School Picture / Letter Ordering VCs To Reopen Universities

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.