Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,891 members, 7,802,871 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 12:21 AM

$275 In U.S, ₦2.2m In Nigeria, See The Clean Title Corolla Sold To My Boss(Pics - Autos (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / $275 In U.S, ₦2.2m In Nigeria, See The Clean Title Corolla Sold To My Boss(Pics (82441 Views)

Clean Title Corolla 2010 2.8m Lagos Sold Sold Sold / Clean Title Corolla 2009 Xrs Special Edition 2.6m / SOLD Reg 09 Upgraded to 012 Toyota Corolla S @2.2m Ibadon (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: $275 In U.S, ₦2.2m In Nigeria, See The Clean Title Corolla Sold To My Boss(Pics by Cosplay: 8:44pm On Apr 27, 2018
YorubaAssasin:

Sir, refer to my prior post.. I didn't complete it as I only booked space with it... grin

Anyway, my apologies for the Ignoramus thing, I'll take it off. grin

I really don't need to refer to your entire post, my response above covers everything else you added.

The price is not the issue.

If you read through the thread Explorers created about vehicles in the Autos Section and the thread below, you'd understand what the real issues are.

https://www.nairaland.com/4472739/vin-validation-vin-tampering-case

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: $275 In U.S, ₦2.2m In Nigeria, See The Clean Title Corolla Sold To My Boss(Pics by erico2k2(m): 8:49pm On Apr 27, 2018
YorubaAssasin:

Firstly, I need to know what you guys are complaining abt. Are you guys disputing the vehicle salvage status or the final price tag? From what the OP put up there, I think it's reasonable even though it's a very bad deal. IMHO. undecided

The $275 isn't the net/final price sold at the auction. That price is what's called the pre-bidding price prior to the actual auction. After the real auction might have taken place, the final bidding price is likely to surpass the $275. Okay let's assume the final bid price is $275...

The $1K add fee is mandatory but, not necessarily that much. It's usually a % of the total cost + numerous fees (paper-work) added up. So let's assume it's $1K... So, let's do the math...

$(275 + 1,000 + 200 + 1,200) = $2,675 * N360 = N963,000 + N500,000 (Clearing Cost) = N1,463,000

Let's NOT forget, the car was fixed by whoever that bought it... and from the damages I'm seeing, the total fix price to get this to its current shape would be nothing less than $1,500 - $2,000 = N540,000 - N720,000. Let's say it's N540,000 shocked

N1,463,000 + N540,000 = N2,003,000. undecided

Again, this is the minimum net price given the info. provided by OP. So why the hassle... everyone whining upandan. This is one of the numerous reasons I tell folk to rather buy a car in Nigeria than from here in the U.S. The only advantage of buying foreign (developed nation)used cars is proper usability (good roads/dealership maintained etc.. ) and less-salvage value compared to 9ja used. kiss

Though, this is a very bad deal given the extent of damage and cost of repair of this particular vehicle. I expected someone like "Explorers" to have dug more info. before coming out to cry foul. undecided

where are you getting your own $1k from?

1 Like

Re: $275 In U.S, ₦2.2m In Nigeria, See The Clean Title Corolla Sold To My Boss(Pics by YorubaAssasin: 8:49pm On Apr 27, 2018
Cosplay:

I really don't need to refer to your entire post, my response above covers everything else you added.

If you read through the thread Explorers created about vehicles in the Autos Section and the thread below, you'd understand what the real issues are.

Well, perhaps, the retro article / link to it should have been provided with the main thread to give the readers enough ammunition of info. shocked lipsrsealed
Re: $275 In U.S, ₦2.2m In Nigeria, See The Clean Title Corolla Sold To My Boss(Pics by goldenval(m): 8:50pm On Apr 27, 2018
That’s why I don’t like buying cars from copart.com so many dirty cars there.

My Venza is not that bad when I bought it from the US though.
Re: $275 In U.S, ₦2.2m In Nigeria, See The Clean Title Corolla Sold To My Boss(Pics by erico2k2(m): 8:50pm On Apr 27, 2018
Cosplay:

Im very sure they did not clear the crash data from the impact sensors

3 Likes

Re: $275 In U.S, ₦2.2m In Nigeria, See The Clean Title Corolla Sold To My Boss(Pics by Nobody: 8:51pm On Apr 27, 2018
Cosplay:
I had a feeling it was a similar situation when I saw your request. I just didn't know how dire the situation was.

It beats my imagination how one would witness this and the situation I described in the VIN Tampering thread and still be against the VIN being provided upfront for preliminary investigation.

The elderly gentleman, unfortunately, failed to do his due diligence, for whatever reason, it could simply be a case of poor preparation before purchasing a vehicle in Nigeria.

I have no issues with the price. The seller may choose to ask for 4 million NGN after factoring in repair costs, if he so wishes, as long as he has fully disclosed the history of the vehicle and provided the VIN. Sellers with ridiculous prices often get regulated by market forces after their vehicles sit unsold for long periods due to the high prices.

Make no mistake about it, the bulk of the responsibility lies with the morally bankrupt seller for failing to fully disclose the history of this vehicle and probably for taking undue advantage of the elderly gentleman.

Very unfortunate.

I’m in agreement with the bolded.

7 Likes

Re: $275 In U.S, ₦2.2m In Nigeria, See The Clean Title Corolla Sold To My Boss(Pics by aribisala0(m): 8:52pm On Apr 27, 2018
Should you tell him?

Hmm just imagine it was his wife and not a car

1 Like

Re: $275 In U.S, ₦2.2m In Nigeria, See The Clean Title Corolla Sold To My Boss(Pics by Yankee101: 8:52pm On Apr 27, 2018
At least let him know there is likely no air bag

1 Like

Re: $275 In U.S, ₦2.2m In Nigeria, See The Clean Title Corolla Sold To My Boss(Pics by YorubaAssasin: 8:55pm On Apr 27, 2018
goldenval:
That’s why I don’t like buying cars from copart.com so many dirty cars there.

My Venza is not that bad when I bought it from the US though.

Ok.. Mr. Venza owner angry

42 Likes 3 Shares

Re: $275 In U.S, ₦2.2m In Nigeria, See The Clean Title Corolla Sold To My Boss(Pics by aAK1(m): 8:56pm On Apr 27, 2018
Cosplay:

The labor costs to fix this level of damage to acceptable standard before export to Nigeria would be significantly more than would be charged in Lagos.

So they get shipped in in their damaged state, sometimes are even declared as for-parts, for the very severely damaged vehicles, they make a killing on the import duty, 'fix' the vehicle - Which often is a shoddy process, what shady dealer would want to make the expenses to fix a deployed SRS assembly to standard, afterall- then the 'repaired' vehicles get a glossy coat of paint and get advertised by the fellows in the Autos Section as Accident-Free, with no VIN and no history.

An unsuspecting or naive fellow comes along and gets swindled into forking over some cash, almost always significantly overpriced.

Then the process restarts.

There's a reason why used car salespeople have such a bad rep.
boss, I will give you a call. We need to talk.
Re: $275 In U.S, ₦2.2m In Nigeria, See The Clean Title Corolla Sold To My Boss(Pics by ehissi(m): 8:56pm On Apr 27, 2018
Explorers:

Imagination bro, why the vehicle will be that expensive despite the history.

The quote up there i dont think is more than 1.5m

Of which the cost of putting that ride in order is not inclusive ooooohhhh....

You sef think, like how much go fix this kind moto

Cc gazzuzz kingreign, diportivo

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: $275 In U.S, ₦2.2m In Nigeria, See The Clean Title Corolla Sold To My Boss(Pics by Akiika: 8:57pm On Apr 27, 2018
Will anyone be wrong to call una 'lazy'? I looked through the comments, majority of you ran away with the $275 buying price....N2.2M selling price. All the other costs were ignored. I love the guy that took his time to consider all other costs for his analysis. This is exactly how you guys consume anything you find online, you rely on second hand interpretation of issues, once one irrational youth start the ill-advised rant, you all jump into the bandwagon.

28 Likes 2 Shares

Re: $275 In U.S, ₦2.2m In Nigeria, See The Clean Title Corolla Sold To My Boss(Pics by Somebodydaddy01: 8:57pm On Apr 27, 2018
Explorers:
Results

let's imagine that;

Last bid - $275

Additional fee - $1,000

Trucking/Towing to nearest port - $200

Shipping roro - $1, 200

Clearing - ₦500, 000

A good car can’t be sold at the price there ...
Buying this car at that price can look cheap but it’s risky
With the economy of Nigeria ...I think kudos to the dealer that risk his money on this
The whole money spent on the car is 1.5 million naira ...
There’s a lot of things that is going to be changed in the car
Airbag ,two light ,bonnet,vender,front grill,some things will be changed inside the engine ,it’s will be painted all is going up to 2 million naira so 200k is not much

15 Likes

Re: $275 In U.S, ₦2.2m In Nigeria, See The Clean Title Corolla Sold To My Boss(Pics by living2013(m): 8:57pm On Apr 27, 2018
Explorers:
Results

let's imagine that;

Last bid - $275

Additional fee - $1,000

Shipping roro - $1, 200

Clearing - ₦500, 000

How or which site did you get the information

Re: $275 In U.S, ₦2.2m In Nigeria, See The Clean Title Corolla Sold To My Boss(Pics by Angelawhite(m): 9:00pm On Apr 27, 2018
Trustme2:
Hmmmm. Bros I beg let the sleeping dog lie. No go give the old man hypertension o

And allow him drive a car whose airbag has been deployed?

6 Likes

Re: $275 In U.S, ₦2.2m In Nigeria, See The Clean Title Corolla Sold To My Boss(Pics by Nobody: 9:00pm On Apr 27, 2018
ogtavia:
walahi, human beings are wicked. I will not advice anyone to buy a vehicle from US without knowing the history. Even if it's a repaired vehicle, the damage should not be this extensive. My neighbour also bought a corolla of this kind 2 weeks ago and every indication tells me it's an accidented vehicle.
I am feeling very sad for the Baba right now.This seems like it happened in Akure. You must tell the Baba and let him involve the police. But there is very little that can be done here. Even at that, 2.2m for a used 2006 camry? How much is 2007 camry or a 2009 toyota corolla? That dealer is a rogue.

nothing really happend to this Toyota na in nigerian standard..its from the frontside not direct front impact. I would never buy this and sell to someone rather If I am so interested in this car, I would buy it and fix it to factory and make sure it is working the way it should with no issues if at all I want to sell
Re: $275 In U.S, ₦2.2m In Nigeria, See The Clean Title Corolla Sold To My Boss(Pics by dhardy09: 9:00pm On Apr 27, 2018
God Bless you for the Breakdown and Understanding

YorubaAssasin:

Firstly, I need to know what you guys are complaining abt. Are you guys disputing the vehicle salvage status or the final price tag? From what the OP put up there, I think it's reasonable even though it's a very bad deal. IMHO. undecided

The $275 isn't the net/final price sold at the auction. That price is what's called the pre-bidding price prior to the actual auction. After the real auction might have taken place, the final bidding price is likely to surpass the $275. Okay let's assume the final bid price is $275...

The $1K add fee is mandatory but, not necessarily that much. It's usually a % of the total cost + numerous fees (paper-work) added up. So let's assume it's $1K... So, let's do the math...

$(275 + 1,000 + 200 + 1,200) = $2,675 * N360 = N963,000 + N500,000 (Clearing Cost) = N1,463,000

Let's NOT forget, the car was fixed by whoever that bought it... and from the damages I'm seeing, the total fix price to get this to its current shape would be nothing less than $1,500 - $2,000 = N540,000 - N720,000. Let's say it's N540,000 shocked

N1,463,000 + N540,000 = N2,003,000. undecided

Again, this is the minimum net price given the info. provided by OP. So why the hassle... everyone whining upandan. This is one of the numerous reasons I advice folks to rather buy a car in Nigeria than from here in the U.S. The only advantage of buying foreign (developed nation)used cars is proper usability (good roads/dealership maintained etc.. ) and less-salvage value compared to 9ja used. kiss

Though, this is a very bad deal given the extent of damage and cost of repair of this particular vehicle. I expected someone like "Explorers" to have dug more info. before coming out to cry foul. undecided

Re: $275 In U.S, ₦2.2m In Nigeria, See The Clean Title Corolla Sold To My Boss(Pics by Angelawhite(m): 9:01pm On Apr 27, 2018
Explorers:
Results

let's imagine that;

Last bid - $275

Additional fee - $1,000

Shipping roro - $1, 200

Clearing - ₦500, 000

Cost of repairs nko

3 Likes

Re: $275 In U.S, ₦2.2m In Nigeria, See The Clean Title Corolla Sold To My Boss(Pics by YorubaAssasin: 9:03pm On Apr 27, 2018
erico2k2:

where are you getting your own $1k from?

There's what is called:

Online-Bidding fees (if bidding done online)

loading fees (to take it out of the auction lot),

Buyer's fee (Lion % of the total fees)

Taxes

Other miscellaneous fees (varies on the status of the buyer)

Again, it's NOT necessarily the prices stated by the OP. It could be more or less. cool

3 Likes

Re: $275 In U.S, ₦2.2m In Nigeria, See The Clean Title Corolla Sold To My Boss(Pics by Shagati(m): 9:03pm On Apr 27, 2018
somehow:
Dealer made around d #700k from this alone. Almost that can buy another car.
You didn't factor in cost of repair
Bumper, headlights, grill, engine bay damage, fender, hood, painting, labour.

Modified
Oh I see someone has done a proper analysis including repair costs

5 Likes

Re: $275 In U.S, ₦2.2m In Nigeria, See The Clean Title Corolla Sold To My Boss(Pics by mistercharles: 9:04pm On Apr 27, 2018
Nawaa o
Re: $275 In U.S, ₦2.2m In Nigeria, See The Clean Title Corolla Sold To My Boss(Pics by Nobody: 9:04pm On Apr 27, 2018
Mehn, this is business. The dealer didn't coerce the dude to buy the car. It was an agreement, and a businessman is entitled to sell his goods at whatever price he feels, as long as there is no regulation on that product. It is the responsibility of the man to research on his intending purchase.
For those crying foul, go hug transformer.
Who send u?

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: $275 In U.S, ₦2.2m In Nigeria, See The Clean Title Corolla Sold To My Boss(Pics by lambinkin: 9:07pm On Apr 27, 2018
@ Explorers, please which website did you get the vehicle history details.

Thanks
Re: $275 In U.S, ₦2.2m In Nigeria, See The Clean Title Corolla Sold To My Boss(Pics by gonkin(m): 9:09pm On Apr 27, 2018
I dont see anything wrong when you consider clearing and repairs the profit would have a slight difference from new

1 Like

Re: $275 In U.S, ₦2.2m In Nigeria, See The Clean Title Corolla Sold To My Boss(Pics by wristbangle: 9:09pm On Apr 27, 2018
May God bless the mod that put this on FP. There has been several complaints from customers with respect to how these wicked dealer purchase extremely damaged vehicle at very low price and spend little to make it look good meanwhile splash heavy money for end users in Nigeria.

This is a pointer to those who are about to purchase vehicle to first check the history of the car via the vehicle's VIN.

3 Likes

Re: $275 In U.S, ₦2.2m In Nigeria, See The Clean Title Corolla Sold To My Boss(Pics by TheMadame(f): 9:10pm On Apr 27, 2018
Explorers:

Imagination bro, why the vehicle will be that expensive despite the history.

The quote up there i dont think is more than 1.5m

Quite frankly Mr Explorers,I advise your boss(the elderly man) to take the customs documents on that vehicle for a proper check of the C number .
Any dealer so heartless to sell this lemon to the poor buyer could also fake the customs papers. I can bet that either no duty was paid on this vehicle or it was processed as scrap which pays a far lesser rate of duty on the ports.

2 Likes

Re: $275 In U.S, ₦2.2m In Nigeria, See The Clean Title Corolla Sold To My Boss(Pics by Kelvinpam(m): 9:10pm On Apr 27, 2018
Explorers:

Hallo can you help me get the bid history for a ride bought in canada. i would like to know if the dealer is telling the truth.
Cc : Ipfreely
Re: $275 In U.S, ₦2.2m In Nigeria, See The Clean Title Corolla Sold To My Boss(Pics by Nobody: 9:10pm On Apr 27, 2018
ogtavia:
Which one is additional fee of $1000? Is it a standard fee? By the way, why is shipping that expensive?
yes.
Usually 1000$
Re: $275 In U.S, ₦2.2m In Nigeria, See The Clean Title Corolla Sold To My Boss(Pics by Nobody: 9:11pm On Apr 27, 2018
This is one reason I prefer European cars.

Poor papa cry
Re: $275 In U.S, ₦2.2m In Nigeria, See The Clean Title Corolla Sold To My Boss(Pics by Cosplay: 9:17pm On Apr 27, 2018
There already are, and will be, a lot of comments from clever individuals about how it's just business and how there was no wrongdoing in this situation.

There will also be comments from individuals getting hung up on the price, somehow missing the primary issues.

Those comments are hardly surprising. They abound in the Autos Section of this Forum.

Those comments and the warped rationalization prompting and fueling them are the reasons business continues to be such a risky endeavour in this society.

6 Likes

Re: $275 In U.S, ₦2.2m In Nigeria, See The Clean Title Corolla Sold To My Boss(Pics by na2016: 9:17pm On Apr 27, 2018
ogtavia:
ah, I for talk oh.. but to be honest, Nairaland has created a lot of awareness. Especially when it has to do with auto purchase. The quote is about #1,463,000.

That is with black market rate oo. Dont be surprised that the dealer maybe buying it at CBN rate. Fear some Nigerians..

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

New Keke Napep With Full AC Option (Photos) / Vehicle Registration And Drivers Licence Processing / ****Kakaki + FiftyFifty Enter 2015 With A BANG!! Peugeot 607 PICS****

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.