Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,296 members, 7,808,004 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:26 AM

Donald Trump's Korea Triumph Should Earn Him A Nobel Peace Prize - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Donald Trump's Korea Triumph Should Earn Him A Nobel Peace Prize (2022 Views)

Black Lives Matter Movement Nominated For Nobel Peace Price / Donald Trump Nominated For 2021 Nobel Peace Prize For Isreal/UAE Peace Deal / Abiy Ahmed, Wins 2019 Nobel Peace Prize (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Donald Trump's Korea Triumph Should Earn Him A Nobel Peace Prize by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:48pm On Apr 28, 2018
Donald Trump's Korea triumph should earn him the Nobel Peace Prize
DANIEL MCCARTHY
27 APRIL 2018 • 6:00AM

The Nobel Committee has something of a fetish for awarding the Peace Prize to centre-Left American politicians, regardless of merit. At least former president Jimmy Carter had involved himself in decades of peace initiatives, however futile most proved to be, when he received the prize in 2002. Former Vice President Al Gore, on the other hand, won the 2005 prize for his celebrity endorsement of climate-change doom-mongering.

In Barack Obama's case in 2009, the rationale was weaker still: he had not even been in office a year and had achieved virtually nothing for the cause of peace during that time. But he was a symbol of hope to centre-Left types around the world, who could not yet imagine the anarchy he would bring to Libya or the ceaseless wars he would wage with drones.

This year's prize should go to an American leader who for once has earned it: Donald Trump. But will the Nobel Committee free itself from its ideological straitjacket to give it to him? President Trump is everything that Obama was not. He is a man of the Right rather than the Left. He is brash and intensely disliked by much of world opinion, especially elite opinion. Obama had a soft touch and was loved almost as greatly as Trump is despised. Yet the only thing that should matter is what Trump has achieved, in contrast to what Obama did not.

If President Trump succeeds in negotiating an end to North Korean dictator Kim Jong-un's nuclear provocations, he will have defused the most dangerous crisis the world faces at present. There is even a chance that Trump will help bring a non-violent conclusion to a war that has officially lasted 67 years. The North and South never came to a formal peace agreement in the Korean War and to this day have only an armistice to underwrite the ceasefire. Yet now Seoul and Pyongyang have begun moving toward treaty talks as part of the wider effort to resolve the nuclear impasse, with the South's President Moon Jae-In to meet Kim for a historic summit on Friday.

The means to achieve peace, and the leaders who do it best, are not always pretty.

An American president first won the Peace Prize in 1906, when Theodore Roosevelt received it for brokering peace in the Russo-Japanese War. What Trump is poised to accomplish on the Korean peninsula would be a far greater triumph of diplomacy. That will be so even if the result is something less than what the Trump administration has called for in its maximal demands: the denuclearisation of North Korea. Kim is unlikely to give up his weapons in any scenario, but world peace will be well served if he simply stops further nuclear and ballistic tests and agrees to a non-proliferation framework.

That should certainly be good enough for the Nobel Committee. But the contrast between Trump and Obama suggests why it might not be. Obama came to power promising to pursue peace the Left-wing way, through humility and understanding. His demeanour counted for more than his record, which in 2009 was practically nonexistent. President Trump has used tough language and the threat of violence to change the calculus of war and peace in Korea. The method as much as the man may be unpalatable to the panel.

Even the diplomatic philosophy of Theodore Roosevelt a century ago — "Speak softly and carry a big stick" — may be too much for the committee. Trump's approach of tweeting loudly, so to speak, while brandishing his stick can be counted on to be met with disapproval.

If the Peace Prize is to do any good in the world, however, it cannot be reserved for fashionable Left-wing figures and causes. Peace is a practical goal, not an unworldly ideal. The means to achieve peace, and the leaders who do it best, are not always pretty. The Nobel Committee and the community of opinion that looks on the Peace Prize as an affirmation of liberal pieties may find Trump distasteful.

Nevertheless, he is set to be the man most deserving of the honour. If that seems shocking, it is a shock that ought to prompt a rethink of how international relations really work. Decades of conventional diplomacy with North Korea only led to the Kim dynasty acquiring nuclear weapons and the missiles to deliver them between continents. To make peace demands a new approach, and President Trump has found one.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/04/27/donald-trumps-korea-triumph-should-earn-nobel-peace-prize/
Re: Donald Trump's Korea Triumph Should Earn Him A Nobel Peace Prize by Nobody: 11:31pm On Apr 28, 2018
As much as I dislike Trump, I have to hand it to him, this is a deal well brokered.

He deserves it for real.

1 Like

Re: Donald Trump's Korea Triumph Should Earn Him A Nobel Peace Prize by MightySparrow: 7:09pm On Apr 29, 2018
Trump of God
Re: Donald Trump's Korea Triumph Should Earn Him A Nobel Peace Prize by LordReed(m): 4:44pm On May 01, 2018
Wait, the same guy who said his SoS was wasting time negotiating is the same one you say should get a Nobel? LoL, this sounds like a plot in a cartoon or Mexican soap opera.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Donald Trump's Korea Triumph Should Earn Him A Nobel Peace Prize by MONITZ: 11:22pm On May 01, 2018
If u re saying this gesture by Trump is worthy of a Nobel peace prize then the gesture by Putin also on invitation by the Syrian govt to defend Syria against terrorists,rebels and fifth columnists should be worthy as well of a nomination for a Nobel peace prize...
Re: Donald Trump's Korea Triumph Should Earn Him A Nobel Peace Prize by wirinet(m): 2:05pm On May 04, 2018
The real credit for getting North Korea to the negotiating table should go to Moon Jae-in. It was his election that paved way for talk to begin between the two Koreas. He believed in making peace with the north and that was one of his campaign promise. Talks would not have been possible if the impeached Park Geun Hye was still in power, as she was very hawkish.

It was Moon Jae-in that invited north Korea to the Olympics, it was moon Jae-in that invited Kim Jong Un's Sister for talks during the Olympics. It was Moon Jae-in that even sent a personal delegation to Washington to see Trump personally and convinced him on the need for dialogue.
If anybody deserves a Nobel price it is moon Jae-in

5 Likes

Re: Donald Trump's Korea Triumph Should Earn Him A Nobel Peace Prize by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:19pm On May 04, 2018
wirinet:

The real credit for getting North Korea to the negotiating table should go to Moon Jae-in. It was his election that paved way for talk to begin between the two Koreas. He believed in making peace with the north and that was one of his campaign promise. Talks would not have been possible if the impeached Park Geun Hye was still in power, as she was very hawkish.

It was Moon Jae-in that invited north Korea to the Olympics, it was moon Jae-in that invited Kim Jong Un's Sister for talks during the Olympics. It was Moon Jae-in that even sent a personal delegation to Washington to see Trump personally and convinced him on the need for dialogue.
If anybody deserves a Nobel price it is moon Jae-in

Bad belle! See the link that shows that President Trump has been officially nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize for his role in fostering peace in the Korean peninsula. I will even be surprised if he wins the prize because it is normally reserved for those who are politically correct.

https://www.hannity.com/media-room/its-official-president-trump-formally-nominated-for-nobel-peace-prize/
Re: Donald Trump's Korea Triumph Should Earn Him A Nobel Peace Prize by wirinet(m): 3:50pm On May 04, 2018
OLAADEGBU:

Bad belle! See the link that shows that President Trump has been officially nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize for his role in fostering peace in the Korean peninsula. I will even be surprised if he wins the prize because it is normally reserved for those who are politically correct.

https://www.hannity.com/media-room/its-official-president-trump-formally-nominated-for-nobel-peace-prize/

Are you blind and dumb or you have your head far too deep into Trump's ass that it has affected your brains.

Read your link properly and tell me who officially nominated Trump for the Nobel peace price.

What has Trump actually done to deserve the Nobel peace price.

Now tell between Moon Jae-in and Donald Trump, who has done more to advance peace in the Korean peninsula?

Read this to understand the Genesis of the whole issue;

North Korea invite is dramatic gesture, but not diplomatic breakthrough

SEOUL — South Korean President Moon Jae-in’s gambit to use the Olympics as a form of diplomacy has produced a dramatic gesture – an invitation from Kim Jong Un to hold talks between the two leaders in North Korea – but it is a long way from a major breakthrough.
https://www.google.com.ng/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/326932002

1 Like

Re: Donald Trump's Korea Triumph Should Earn Him A Nobel Peace Prize by Lucasbalo(m): 4:29pm On May 04, 2018
wirinet:

Are you blind and dumb or you have your head far too deep into Trump's ass that it has affected your brains.

Read your link properly and tell me who officially nominated Trump for the Nobel peace price.

Now tell between Moon Jae-in and Donald Trump, who has done more to advance peace in the Korean peninsula?

Olaadegbu is the biggest Trump a*s licker on Nairaland and the charlatan don't even know that Trump think of him as subhuman

3 Likes

Re: Donald Trump's Korea Triumph Should Earn Him A Nobel Peace Prize by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:44am On May 07, 2018
wirinet:

I understand you liberals don't do history. Watch the videoclip that shows how Trump had it mapped out long before he threw his hat in the political ring.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQUaQo2j42Y

1 Like

Re: Donald Trump's Korea Triumph Should Earn Him A Nobel Peace Prize by LordReed(m): 6:21am On May 07, 2018
OLAADEGBU:

I understand you liberals don't do history. Watch the videoclip that shows how Trump had it mapped out long before he threw his hat in the political ring.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQUaQo2j42Y

LoL, how is this any sort of cohesive plan? "I'll negotiate like crazy" meanwhile he told his SoS he is wasting his time negotiating.
Re: Donald Trump's Korea Triumph Should Earn Him A Nobel Peace Prize by Lucasbalo(m): 3:30pm On May 07, 2018
LordReed:

LoL, how is this any sort of cohesive plan? "I'll negotiate like crazy" meanwhile he told his SoS he is wasting his time negotiating.
He's the greatest Conman in the history of recent America. He's not only a two bit hustling New Yorker, he's a pathological lying scum that nothing truthful comes out of his Orange mouth.

1 Like

Re: Donald Trump's Korea Triumph Should Earn Him A Nobel Peace Prize by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:52pm On May 07, 2018
LordReed:

It doesn't matter how bad you feel about Trump, it is on record that Trump talks the talk and walks the walk. cheesy

1 Like

Re: Donald Trump's Korea Triumph Should Earn Him A Nobel Peace Prize by LordReed(m): 6:19pm On May 07, 2018
OLAADEGBU:

It doesn't matter how bad you feel about Trump, it is on record that Trump talks the talk and walks the walk. cheesy

LoL it doesn't matter how good you feel, you are still living in lala land.

2 Likes

Re: Donald Trump's Korea Triumph Should Earn Him A Nobel Peace Prize by LordReed(m): 6:20pm On May 07, 2018
Lucasbalo:
He's the greatest Conman in the history of recent America. He's not only a two bit hustling New Yorker, he's a pathological lying scum that nothing truthful comes out of his Orange mouth.

Did you see the report by the former Forbes journalist that said Trump lied to get on the Forbes list? SMH dude is a pathetic narcissist.

1 Like

Re: Donald Trump's Korea Triumph Should Earn Him A Nobel Peace Prize by Lucasbalo(m): 6:23pm On May 07, 2018
LordReed:

Did you see the report by the former Forbes journalist that said Trump lied to get on the Forbes list? SMH dude is a pathetic narcissist.
Nothing about the guys amazes me or millions of Americans anymore. It's one day one lie for the Trampy.

1 Like

Re: Donald Trump's Korea Triumph Should Earn Him A Nobel Peace Prize by OLAADEGBU(m): 6:24pm On May 07, 2018
LordReed:

LoL it doesn't matter how good you feel, you are still living in lala land.

The reality as I know it is that Donald Trump is the President of the U.S. of A. The earlier you accept that reality the better you will feel for Eight good years. tongue

1 Like

Re: Donald Trump's Korea Triumph Should Earn Him A Nobel Peace Prize by Lucasbalo(m): 6:24pm On May 07, 2018
OLAADEGBU:

One lie one day for my president. You are a funny guy.

1 Like

Re: Donald Trump's Korea Triumph Should Earn Him A Nobel Peace Prize by OLAADEGBU(m): 6:28pm On May 07, 2018
Lucasbalo:

One lie one day for my president. You are a funny guy.

How will you feel if they award him with the Nobel Peace Prize?

1 Like

Re: Donald Trump's Korea Triumph Should Earn Him A Nobel Peace Prize by LordReed(m): 7:23pm On May 07, 2018
OLAADEGBU:

The reality as I know it is that Donald Trump is the President of the U.S. of A. The earlier you accept that reality the better you will feel for Eight good years. tongue

LoL I am not an American so he being president or not is basically irrelevant, I am just trying to understand the appeal such a person has for you and people like you. Suffice it to say, I am still baffled.

1 Like

Re: Donald Trump's Korea Triumph Should Earn Him A Nobel Peace Prize by Lucasbalo(m): 7:29pm On May 07, 2018
OLAADEGBU:

How will you feel if they award him with the Nobel Peace Prize?
It's not only Nobel prize, it's humanitarian man of the Year. Keep drinking that toxic Orange kool aide that's not good for your mental health.

1 Like

Re: Donald Trump's Korea Triumph Should Earn Him A Nobel Peace Prize by Lucasbalo(m): 7:31pm On May 07, 2018
LordReed:

LoL I am not an American so he president being president or not is basically irrelevant, I am just trying to understand the appeal such a person has for you and people like you. Suffice it to say, I am still baffled.
It's called Stockholm Syndrome. We have bunch of them here calling themselves blacks but they are still suffering from SS. Good example is Kanye West whose background in Chicago I don't want to get into. Bunch of Uncle Sam they are.

1 Like

Re: Donald Trump's Korea Triumph Should Earn Him A Nobel Peace Prize by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:22pm On May 09, 2018
Lucasbalo:

It's not only Nobel prize, it's humanitarian man of the Year. Keep drinking that toxic Orange kool aide that's not good for your mental health.

Have the three Northern Korean detainees been released or not? undecided

1 Like

Re: Donald Trump's Korea Triumph Should Earn Him A Nobel Peace Prize by wirinet(m): 10:39pm On May 09, 2018
LordReed:

LoL I am not an American so he being president or not is basically irrelevant, I am just trying to understand the appeal such a person has for you and people like you. Suffice it to say, I am still baffled.

Why are you baffled? Did you not knoe was that it was blacks that helped the slave traders catch their fellow brothers for the white slave traders for onward transportation to slave ships?

1 Like

Re: Donald Trump's Korea Triumph Should Earn Him A Nobel Peace Prize by Lucasbalo(m): 1:56am On May 10, 2018
OLAADEGBU:

Have the three Northern Korean detainees been released or not? undecided
Just releaded today after you have been lying your fanny off about their release last week. No wonder you supprt the pathological lying scum in the WH.

1 Like

Re: Donald Trump's Korea Triumph Should Earn Him A Nobel Peace Prize by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:59pm On May 10, 2018
Lucasbalo:

Just releaded today after you have been lying your fanny off about their release last week. No wonder you supprt the pathological lying scum in the WH.

The truth is that they have been released, either you like it or not. cool

1 Like

Re: Donald Trump's Korea Triumph Should Earn Him A Nobel Peace Prize by LordReed(m): 11:24pm On May 11, 2018
wirinet:

Why are you baffled? Did you not knoe was that it was blacks that helped the slave traders catch their fellow brothers for the white slave traders for onward transportation to slave ships?

We learn from history and past mistakes so these folk are a real puzzle.
Re: Donald Trump's Korea Triumph Should Earn Him A Nobel Peace Prize by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:24pm On May 16, 2018
LordReed:

We learn from history and past mistakes so these folk are a real puzzle.

Do you? undecided

Re: Donald Trump's Korea Triumph Should Earn Him A Nobel Peace Prize by LordReed(m): 6:56pm On May 16, 2018
OLAADEGBU:

Do you? undecided

LoL @ equating liberals with Nazi Germany, if anything you Trump supporters are the ones going crazy over a hate mongering semi literate demagogue.

1 Like

Re: Donald Trump's Korea Triumph Should Earn Him A Nobel Peace Prize by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:11pm On May 24, 2018
President Trump Pulls Out of Summit with North Korea's Kim Jong Un Meeting.

http://federalistpress.com/pres-trump-pulls-out-of-summit-with-north-koreas-kim-jong-un.php

Re: Donald Trump's Korea Triumph Should Earn Him A Nobel Peace Prize by Lucasbalo(m): 5:30pm On May 24, 2018
OLAADEGBU:
President Trump Pulls Out of Summit with North Korea's Kim Jong Un Meeting.

http://federalistpress.com/pres-trump-pulls-out-of-summit-with-north-koreas-kim-jong-un.php
Mr charlatan who happens to lick Trampy Orange behind, there goes your Nobel Peace Price. A conman has been scammed by a bigger conman.. Both Trampy and Kim Jong Un are worthless in my book.

1 Like

Re: Donald Trump's Korea Triumph Should Earn Him A Nobel Peace Prize by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:44pm On May 24, 2018
Lucasbalo:

Mr charlatan who happens to lick Trampy Orange behind, there goes your Nobel Peace Price. A conman has been scammed by a bigger conman.. Both Trampy and Kim Jong Un are worthless in my book.

Enemy of State. angry

(1) (2) (Reply)

This Associated Press Analysis Shows That Trump Can Still Win / Rare Photos Of Barrak Obama And Wife Mitchell Obama / Breaking News Iran: President Trump Bans All Muslims From Entering United States

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.