Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,884 members, 7,802,853 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:24 PM

"National Assembly Cannot Command Buhari’s Appearance" - Prof. Ben Nwabueze - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / "National Assembly Cannot Command Buhari’s Appearance" - Prof. Ben Nwabueze (15290 Views)

Buhari Vs Atiku: Ben Nwabueze Storms Court In Wheelchair To Represent Atiku / Ben Nwabueze Hugs Atiku Abubakar, Says 'This Is My Last Wish' / Nigerians React To President Buhari's Appearance At Aso Rock Villa Mosque Today (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "National Assembly Cannot Command Buhari’s Appearance" - Prof. Ben Nwabueze by nagoma(m): 9:02am On Apr 30, 2018
6660M0666:
Does this man realise that the National Assembly is a representative of the PEOPLE and that they reserve the right to summon any Nigerian, including the Head of State since he was elected into that post by the PEOPLE and therefore accountable to them via the National Assembly.

We should never allow Mediocrity, and possibly a lack of dignity, push us into justifying any form of impunity.

And in your folly who do you think elected the president?
Re: "National Assembly Cannot Command Buhari’s Appearance" - Prof. Ben Nwabueze by yanabasee(m): 9:03am On Apr 30, 2018
360degreess:
That's the plain truth..Buhari is so charismatic and highly respected not only in naija but in the world at large.unlike the corrupt drunkard....

A charismatic cattle herder right?
Re: "National Assembly Cannot Command Buhari’s Appearance" - Prof. Ben Nwabueze by princeade86(m): 9:03am On Apr 30, 2018
why will President used $490m to just see American President. because to me, is a stupid thing to do and am sure is part of the deal to see and have a meeting with Trump. is very bad and many will see it as nothing wrong.
Re: "National Assembly Cannot Command Buhari’s Appearance" - Prof. Ben Nwabueze by AreaFada2: 9:03am On Apr 30, 2018
6660M0666:
Does this man realise that the National Assembly is a representative of the PEOPLE and that they reserve the right to summon any Nigerian, including the Head of State since he was elected into that post by the PEOPLE and therefore accountable to them via the National Assembly.

We should never allow Mediocrity, and possibly a lack of dignity, push us into justifying any form of impunity.

I wonder o. If they cannot summon him to explain simply why he spent nearly a billion dollars without NASS say so, why can NASS impeach him? shocked shocked shocked

A culture of respect for the people as represented by NASS (despite their own flaws) would demand that the President be accountable to NASS when such vast sums of money are involved. At least the NASS select committees on Defence & finance/budget/appropriation could have accelerated the appropriation of the money. What is the job of Buhari's aid/SSA/SA on NASS? shocked shocked
Re: "National Assembly Cannot Command Buhari’s Appearance" - Prof. Ben Nwabueze by Nobody: 9:07am On Apr 30, 2018
360degreess:
That's the plain truth..Buhari is so charismatic and highly respected not only in naija but in the world at large.unlike the corrupt drunkard....

Your real name is Mumurado
Re: "National Assembly Cannot Command Buhari’s Appearance" - Prof. Ben Nwabueze by jrusky(m): 9:14am On Apr 30, 2018
I know it's igbo man that will go against it i have be waiting for one of my people to stand against it and has a finally happened.

See their list fulani slaves:
Okorocha
Ngige
Nnanani
Onu
Orji Kalu
Nwabueze etc
See their lives.

Sometime I must admit I respect the north despite Buhari belong to them did anyone of their big wig utter any word on this Buhari saga? Hell No. They kept mute and strike at the right time.

Did any man from SW says anything? Hell No they will strike at the right time. But my own people instead to mind their business Mbannu they must talk and ends up being treated like pooh. Pls I have to go to office see you later.

1 Like

Re: "National Assembly Cannot Command Buhari’s Appearance" - Prof. Ben Nwabueze by iboman(m): 9:15am On Apr 30, 2018
6660M0666:
Does this man realise that the National Assembly is a representative of the PEOPLE and that they reserve the right to summon any Nigerian, including the Head of State since he was elected into that post by the PEOPLE and therefore accountable to them via the

All were elected to represent the people one way or the other. The HOS represents every body in the nation, the Senate represents sections in the nation. I agree with the Prof.
Re: "National Assembly Cannot Command Buhari’s Appearance" - Prof. Ben Nwabueze by Nobody: 9:16am On Apr 30, 2018
Lol..I just hope he doesn't say the wrong thing this time.

Re: "National Assembly Cannot Command Buhari’s Appearance" - Prof. Ben Nwabueze by Nobody: 9:16am On Apr 30, 2018
360degreess:
Highly respected yet investors ran away from Nigeria kiss undecided

1 Like

Re: "National Assembly Cannot Command Buhari’s Appearance" - Prof. Ben Nwabueze by jamace(m): 9:17am On Apr 30, 2018
360degreess:
Yes, he is a respected dullard. Herdsmen from Libya (according to Buhari) will be killing his followers and he doesn't give a damn.

1 Like

Re: "National Assembly Cannot Command Buhari’s Appearance" - Prof. Ben Nwabueze by Pascal181: 9:19am On Apr 30, 2018
This man is confused, is president not a human being? If he is then he's among d any person talked about in section 89 of d constitution
Re: "National Assembly Cannot Command Buhari’s Appearance" - Prof. Ben Nwabueze by Ramos16(m): 9:19am On Apr 30, 2018
360degreess:

I can't tell if you are joking or not, I hope it is a joke
Re: "National Assembly Cannot Command Buhari’s Appearance" - Prof. Ben Nwabueze by michoim(m): 9:20am On Apr 30, 2018
Men,see intellectualism at work...
Re: "National Assembly Cannot Command Buhari’s Appearance" - Prof. Ben Nwabueze by Igba123: 9:21am On Apr 30, 2018
6660M0666:

but d prof is talking constitution, not reason. D last time I checked it is nigeria constitutn and not a book written by d prof.
Re: "National Assembly Cannot Command Buhari’s Appearance" - Prof. Ben Nwabueze by SmartPolician: 9:29am On Apr 30, 2018
360degreess:

Oga, are u sure you read this article?

Please read it again, this time, slowly.
Re: "National Assembly Cannot Command Buhari’s Appearance" - Prof. Ben Nwabueze by Enice(m): 9:32am On Apr 30, 2018
Sunnynwa:

You are the one lacking in intelligence and knowledge here.

The ECA is money belonging to all tiers of government and hence it's consolidated in a way though it's an illegal account. Having been declared illegal, that account doesn't exist in the eyes if the law hence what ever is drawn from it is seen as having been drawn from a consolidated revenue account grin grin
does the NASS have powers over the ECA?
Re: "National Assembly Cannot Command Buhari’s Appearance" - Prof. Ben Nwabueze by SmartPolician: 9:32am On Apr 30, 2018
6660M0666:

My brother, one of the problems of Nigeria is the constitution.

A constitution drafted with lies, inequality, injustice and unfairness

A Nigerian president is very powerful...thanks to the Constitution

And that's exactly what the prof is explaining

We don't just need a brand new constitution, we also need to restructure this country to take away some of the excess power of a Nigerian president

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "National Assembly Cannot Command Buhari’s Appearance" - Prof. Ben Nwabueze by seguno2: 9:35am On Apr 30, 2018
GuyfawkesAB:
Prof wey sabi book

Sabi book written by the British whose Prime Minister goes to the Parliament every Wednesday to answer questions?
Like many blacks, the village slave/master never departs irrespective of how many “books” we may have read.
Re: "National Assembly Cannot Command Buhari’s Appearance" - Prof. Ben Nwabueze by IamaNigerianGuy(m): 9:36am On Apr 30, 2018
360degreess:

Mumu zombie. You did not even bother to read before coming to comment. There is a passage in the article where Nwabueze ran down the person of Buhari.
Re: "National Assembly Cannot Command Buhari’s Appearance" - Prof. Ben Nwabueze by buhariguy(m): 9:39am On Apr 30, 2018
docadams:
Hmmmmmm

Nwabueze, an erudite lawyer but still a lackey to Saraki and his bunch of nincompoops. Nwabueze himself needs legal advice on where the money was drawn from. Even if the NASS presented a flawed statement to him, for such an important issue he should have removed the thick film of hatred for the president from his eyes.

“It is, to me, simply unpardonable that he should pay out of the Consolidated Revenue Fund of the Federation the sum of U.S. four hundred and ninety six million dollars ($496,000,000) for the purchase of military aircraft without the authorisation of the National Assembly as specifically required by Section 80 of the Constitution ‘in the expectation’, as he puts it in his letter, ‘that the National Assembly would have no objection’.”
buhariguy:
This intellectually lazy idiotic pig of Biafra that the money is from consolidated revenue account.

I was expecting him to explain if national assembly can interfere into excess crude account.
you're absolutely right, that is where I disagree with.

Even dogara when reading the letter to the house,
That president said is from excess crude account
Re: "National Assembly Cannot Command Buhari’s Appearance" - Prof. Ben Nwabueze by tansho(m): 9:39am On Apr 30, 2018
GuyfawkesAB:
Prof wey sabi book

Unlike one Sagay
Re: "National Assembly Cannot Command Buhari’s Appearance" - Prof. Ben Nwabueze by authority2006(m): 9:43am On Apr 30, 2018
yns4real:
By Tobi Soniyi

Legal luminary and elder statesman, Prof. Ben Nwabueze (SAN) has written to the leadership of the National Assembly, informing them that the legislature does not have the power to summon President Muhammadu Buhari for violating the Constitution when he paid $496,000,000 to the U.S. government for the purchase of military aircraft, without the authorisation of the National Assembly.

See biased reporting! Journalism in Nigeria is a trash. Why trying to sway the opinions of readers in one certain direction right from the first sentence?
Re: "National Assembly Cannot Command Buhari’s Appearance" - Prof. Ben Nwabueze by IamaNigerianGuy(m): 9:45am On Apr 30, 2018
6660M0666:

Indeed. I think the Prof, an avowed constitutionalist, went overboard trying to justify his reasoning.

By his logic (which blends elements from various laws), the president is unimpeachable because he is above and separate from State and government. What he is describing here is nearly the same as a divinely appointed King. Prof Nwabueze allows that Buhari has erred but offers no remedy. This is a recipe for tyranny.
Recall also, that Buhari is also (illegally), the petroleum minister. If Prof Nwabueze's argument holds, Buhari can avoid summons in his capacity as petroleum minister by invoking his supralegal status as president.

I respectfully posit that Nwabueze is wrong.

1 Like

Re: "National Assembly Cannot Command Buhari’s Appearance" - Prof. Ben Nwabueze by Smartademu(m): 9:46am On Apr 30, 2018
But sir, I was thought that 'anybody' means any person, the president inclusive and being the head of state does not make the president above the law.

1 Like

Re: "National Assembly Cannot Command Buhari’s Appearance" - Prof. Ben Nwabueze by jimrog: 9:49am On Apr 30, 2018
efilefun:
But were these legislathives expecting buhari to wait for their approval over a sales that's got deadline when they are yet to even think about 2018 budget presented to them since 2017. The United States confirmed receiving the money into their account abii Lai Mohammed is now incharge in USA also? All they are after is the share they would have gotten from the money.

U dey mind them? Na who go dey share money with them den dey find...

1 Like

Re: "National Assembly Cannot Command Buhari’s Appearance" - Prof. Ben Nwabueze by authority2006(m): 10:00am On Apr 30, 2018
Wiseandtrue:

Chai this man don become BMCs hero nau undecided

The National Assembly is not even serious self. See as them they drag this matter upandan shocked shocked Are they afraid of doing their job

If you cannot summon him, he was indicted now undecided The next thing na IMPEACHMENT jarè

Impeachment no be child's play. The one yeye senator that mentioned impeachment indirectly, did you watch the kind of welcome party they organised for him at the airport, right here in the south? I wonder which senators from the North will vote yes to Buhari's impeachment!
If impeachment was that simple, Jona would have been first Nigeria president to be impeached. But of course, Niger Delta always threatened fire and brimstone.
Save your brothers in the North.

1 Like

Re: "National Assembly Cannot Command Buhari’s Appearance" - Prof. Ben Nwabueze by rhemauni: 10:10am On Apr 30, 2018
6660M0666:

he spoke based on our flawed constitution
Re: "National Assembly Cannot Command Buhari’s Appearance" - Prof. Ben Nwabueze by FKMagazine(m): 10:17am On Apr 30, 2018
under section what is that and what constitution did u get that from MUMU?
Re: "National Assembly Cannot Command Buhari’s Appearance" - Prof. Ben Nwabueze by CofOLandOfPeace(m): 10:35am On Apr 30, 2018
Lol...
Meanwhile, you all can check my signature.
Re: "National Assembly Cannot Command Buhari’s Appearance" - Prof. Ben Nwabueze by Soniceguy78(m): 10:45am On Apr 30, 2018
360degreess:
undecided
360degreess:
undecided
360degreess:
undecided
360degreess:

Re: "National Assembly Cannot Command Buhari’s Appearance" - Prof. Ben Nwabueze by felaismyhero(m): 11:01am On Apr 30, 2018
360degreess:
are u sure u understand wat he is saying?,cos going by dis ur post,i dont think so
Re: "National Assembly Cannot Command Buhari’s Appearance" - Prof. Ben Nwabueze by lacosanostra: 11:03am On Apr 30, 2018
seguno2:

Sabi book written by the British whose Prime Minister goes to the Parliament every Wednesday to answer questions?
Like many blacks, the village slave/master never departs irrespective of how many “books” we may have read.

Sir, if you had taken your time to understand what Prof was saying, you would not have said this. He clearly made a distinction between the head of state and head of government, and we know the category the British Prime Minister falls into.
Now I don't agree with Prof, but I can see were his argument is coming from, and for those who always call lawyers liars and are usually surprised at court judgements, this here is a clue for you to understand what goes on in the court room. It's mostly about the letters of the constitution.�

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

2023: CAN Fumes As MURIC Kicks Against Support For RCCG Members / We Are Not Interested In Government Of Unity - Abure (video) / BREAKING: Factional PDP Emerges In Kwara, Fields Candidates For Election _

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.