Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,850 members, 7,802,727 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 08:06 PM

Email Hijacked By Fraudster Posing As Jiji Representative - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Email Hijacked By Fraudster Posing As Jiji Representative (846 Views)

Woman Posing As Customer Kidnaps Two Siblings In Benue / 67-year-old American Posing As ‘nigerian Prince’ Arrested For Fraud / Security Operatives Recover AK47 Rifles After Car Was Hijacked By Robbers.Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Email Hijacked By Fraudster Posing As Jiji Representative by aylipple: 7:22am On Apr 30, 2018
Hello guys, something just happen right now; I've been scammed!!!

Here's how it happened:

It may be a long read but it could help someone not to fall victim so easily like me sad

Early this Monday morning, specifically around 6:28am, I received a call from this number 07063660944, purportedly by a male voice, whose name I can't remember anymore (supposing that's even his real name), informing me he's from Jiji.

Now, that piqued my interest as I'd placed an advert on that platform for a SUV sale. Apparently, this fraudster - as I would later get to realise - had checked out my advert & possibly seen the number of views on my ad and phone number (I'd paid for ad tops).

He asked if I'd been receiving calls about the advert, I responded "yes, but not as much as I'd anticipated". He went on to inform me that Jiji was doing a promo and my ad tops would be increased to guarantee more calls; in his words, "you'll be receiving close to 100 calls a day with this promo. Is there something else you'd like Jiji to do for you?" I responded "with this promo, I won't be needing anything else from Jiji for now".

He then asked me to mention the email I used to register for the ad (little did I know I was helping him perfect the plan to hijack my email at that point) and I read it out. He confirmed it then said he would call me back so he can effect the promo on my ad.

He eventually called back after four missed calls (I was busy with something else and phone was on vibration, didn't feel it vibrate in my pocket) and when I eventually answered the call, he said a promo code has been sent to my phone (I use a dual SIM phone so I didn't even bother to verify which of the numbers the SMS was sent to. This is apt because I used my MTN number on the Jiji ad while my Yahoo mail has my Glo line) and I should read it out. He actually emphasized the code was in capital letters; we were on the same phone talking while I scrolled to my messages and read the code to him without properly checking or even fully reading the rest of the message that said '... Is your Yahoo Account Key'.

He ended the call and almost immediately, I received a notification on one of my Gmail accounts that I used as alternate email informing me first of a sign in notification, then a password change, phone number removal, addition of the phone number used to call me and finally, removal of my alternate email in that order.

It's important to note that I use a different phone for my emails and it wasn't close to me. It wasn't until after the conversation ended and I reached to check the Jiji ad on the mobile app installed on this particular phone to see if the "promo" had been effected that I saw the notifications in my Gmail account.

May I also point out that it was at this point, I went back to properly read the SMS I received and saw the part that read "GZNEYVPK is Your Yahoo Account Key".

As I type this, the fraudster is actually calling me back; maybe he wants to collect the pin to my ATM and bank account numbers.

I'm reaching out to Jiji immediately after this and I hope nobody else falls victim to this scammer.

PS: I tried stopping the attempts to hijack my email but with the change of password, there was nothing I could do. Also, the Yahoo email (since it's no longer in my control, I can paste it here - myreward96@yahoo.com - isn't my main account as I barely even read mails sent there.

Please mods kindly move this to front page and if necessary, the appropriate section. Thanks.

***Addendum***

I was wrong apparently... The hijacker has changed the password to my Facebook account. I can't remember anything else associated with that Yahoo Account that may be hijacked eventually by this fraudster but for now, I no longer have access to my FB.

1 Like

Re: Email Hijacked By Fraudster Posing As Jiji Representative by aylipple: 7:48am On Apr 30, 2018
My Jiji account, which I signed in for using Facebook, has also been seized. My advert is gone and with it, the ad tops I paid for.
Re: Email Hijacked By Fraudster Posing As Jiji Representative by Xcelinteriors(f): 8:03am On Apr 30, 2018
Those boys are so useless. Thank your God that the hijacked email is not connected to your bank account. Jiji can never call you with just any number, install true caller on your phone so that you will know the person calling you before you pick it. God will deal with them
Re: Email Hijacked By Fraudster Posing As Jiji Representative by aylipple: 8:16am On Apr 30, 2018
Thanks. True Caller installed right away. I'm careful not to supply the email I use for sensitive activities for general purpose activities.

God bless you real good.

Xcelinteriors:
Those boys are so useless. Thank your God that the hijacked email is not connected to your bank account. Jiji can never call you with just any number, install true caller on your phone so that you will know the person calling you before you pick it. God will deal with them
Re: Email Hijacked By Fraudster Posing As Jiji Representative by Heartmender1: 12:32pm On Apr 30, 2018
This very stuff happened to me last year(same steps) d Hacker logged in my facebook account associated with my email he hacked and changed my name etc but eventually when he noticed he couldn't see any personal info save on it.. He sent me back my password to login my email and facebook after a week.
Re: Email Hijacked By Fraudster Posing As Jiji Representative by aylipple: 1:13pm On Apr 30, 2018
I don't know what the intention of the hacker is but I won't be touching that email or Facebook account even if he offers the passwords to me.

I learnt a big lesson today, really.

Heartmender1:
This very stuff happened to me last year(same steps) d Hacker logged in my facebook account associated with my email he hacked and changed my name etc but eventually when he noticed he couldn't see any personal info save on it.. He sent me back my password to login my email and facebook after a week.
Re: Email Hijacked By Fraudster Posing As Jiji Representative by Papaaldrich: 1:28pm On Apr 30, 2018
Sorry
Re: Email Hijacked By Fraudster Posing As Jiji Representative by Heartmender1: 3:04pm On Apr 30, 2018
aylipple:
I don't know what the intention of the hacker is but I won't be touching that email or Facebook account even if he offers the passwords to me.

I learnt a big lesson today, really.

He might be trying to see if you disclosed any of your personal information(bank details) to someone tru your conversations or maybe you saved any of your card details on your mail..

If non of this is on your email or facebook then assuming u a female, he may be threaten you to send something to him or he start posting n*de on your page to damage u or he may start chatting with your facebook friends and start requesting either airtime or cash from them impersonating you.. But as a guy to guy, he may just close your account
Re: Email Hijacked By Fraudster Posing As Jiji Representative by aylipple: 4:20pm On Apr 30, 2018
Heartmender1:

He might be trying to see if you disclosed any of your personal information(bank details) to someone tru your conversations or maybe you saved any of your card details on your mail..

If non of this is on your email or facebook then assuming u a female, he may be threaten you to send something to him or he start posting n*de on your page to damage u or he may start chatting with your facebook friends and start requesting either airtime or cash from them impersonating you.. But as a guy to guy, he may just close your account

I haven't opened that particular email in probably months; I've different emails for different purposes and that was for unofficial purposes. He won't find any sensitive information there other than the fact that I used it to register for some of my social media accounts e.g Facebook.

As to Facebook, I take pride in the fact that 95-98% of my friends on the app are people I know personally - one on one - and I've @ some of them on Twitter to let them know what's happened. Besides, my friends on Facebook know I hardly even use it (more of a Twitter person) so they'll try to reach me if the impostor tries anything funny.

Na my 10x ad tops wey I pay N10,999 on Jiji wey the person delete na im pain me pass; any other thing is by the way.

1 Like

Re: Email Hijacked By Fraudster Posing As Jiji Representative by Heartmender1: 9:15pm On Apr 30, 2018
aylipple:

I haven't opened that particular email in probably months; I've different emails for different purposes and that was for unofficial purposes. He won't find any sensitive information there other than the fact that I used it to register for some of my social media accounts e.g Facebook.

As to Facebook, I take pride in the fact that 95-98% of my friends on the app are people I know personally - one on one - and I've @ some of them on Twitter to let them know what's happened. Besides, my friends on Facebook know I hardly even use it (more of a Twitter person) so they'll try to reach me if the impostor tries anything funny.

Na my 10x ad tops wey I pay N10,999 on Jiji wey the person delete na im pain me pass; any other thing is by the way.

Sorry about that bro, try to contact jiji customer care maybe they could help as far as you can provide all the necessary details requested.

1 Like

Re: Email Hijacked By Fraudster Posing As Jiji Representative by fajob: 4:53pm On May 01, 2018
Had same experience last year! Dont really know why guyz cant use their IT knowledge positively.
aylipple:
Hello guys, something just happen right now; I've been scammed!!!

Here's how it happened:

It may be a long read but it could help someone not to fall victim so easily like me sad

Early this Monday morning, specifically around 6:28am, I received a call from this number 07063660944, purportedly by a male voice, whose name I can't remember anymore (supposing that's even his real name), informing me he's from Jiji.

Now, that piqued my interest as I'd placed an advert on that platform for a SUV sale. Apparently, this fraudster - as I would later get to realise - had checked out my advert & possibly seen the number of views on my ad and phone number (I'd paid for ad tops).

He asked if I'd been receiving calls about the advert, I responded "yes, but not as much as I'd anticipated". He went on to inform me that Jiji was doing a promo and my ad tops would be increased to guarantee more calls; in his words, "you'll be receiving close to 100 calls a day with this promo. Is there something else you'd like Jiji to do for you?" I responded "with this promo, I won't be needing anything else from Jiji for now".

He then asked me to mention the email I used to register for the ad (little did I know I was helping him perfect the plan to hijack my email at that point) and I read it out. He confirmed it then said he would call me back so he can effect the promo on my ad.

He eventually called back after four missed calls (I was busy with something else and phone was on vibration, didn't feel it vibrate in my pocket) and when I eventually answered the call, he said a promo code has been sent to my phone (I use a dual SIM phone so I didn't even bother to verify which of the numbers the SMS was sent to. This is apt because I used my MTN number on the Jiji ad while my Yahoo mail has my Glo line) and I should read it out. He actually emphasized the code was in capital letters; we were on the same phone talking while I scrolled to my messages and read the code to him without properly checking or even fully reading the rest of the message that said '... Is your Yahoo Account Key'.

He ended the call and almost immediately, I received a notification on one of my Gmail accounts that I used as alternate email informing me first of a sign in notification, then a password change, phone number removal, addition of the phone number used to call me and finally, removal of my alternate email in that order.

It's important to note that I use a different phone for my emails and it wasn't close to me. It wasn't until after the conversation ended and I reached to check the Jiji ad on the mobile app installed on this particular phone to see if the "promo" had been effected that I saw the notifications in my Gmail account.

May I also point out that it was at this point, I went back to properly read the SMS I received and saw the part that read "GZNEYVPK is Your Yahoo Account Key".

As I type this, the fraudster is actually calling me back; maybe he wants to collect the pin to my ATM and bank account numbers.

I'm reaching out to Jiji immediately after this and I hope nobody else falls victim to this scammer.

PS: I tried stopping the attempts to hijack my email but with the change of password, there was nothing I could do. Also, the Yahoo email (since it's no longer in my control, I can paste it here - myreward96@yahoo.com - isn't my main account as I barely even read mails sent there.

Please mods kindly move this to front page and if necessary, the appropriate section. Thanks.

***Addendum***

I was wrong apparently... The hijacker has changed the password to my Facebook account. I can't remember anything else associated with that Yahoo Account that may be hijacked eventually by this fraudster but for now, I no longer have access to my FB.

(1) (Reply)

Choi!! See What A Thief Did To This ''secured'' Generator (photos) / Thief Caught Stealing Phone Inside Mosque In Abuja (photos) / Son Of Oba In Ogun Sentenced To 5 Years Imprisonment In The UK Over N864m Fraud

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.