Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,539 members, 7,808,990 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:38 PM

Paying Nigerian Workers N18,000 Minimum Wage Is An Embarrassment - Atiku - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Paying Nigerian Workers N18,000 Minimum Wage Is An Embarrassment - Atiku (16086 Views)

COVID-19 APP: Yahaya Bello, An Embarrassment To Nigerian Youths – Ubani / Onnoghen: Osinbajo Is An Embarrassment, Should Be Stripped Of SAN Title - Fayose / Sagay Blasts Fayose: He Is An Irresponsible Clown, An Embarrassment To Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Paying Nigerian Workers N18,000 Minimum Wage Is An Embarrassment - Atiku by nairavsdollars(f): 5:14pm On Apr 30, 2018
Temidayo Akinsuyi, Lagos

Alhaji Atiku Abubakar, former Vice- President on Monday said the current N18,000 minimum wage currently being paid to workers by the federal government is not only ill-motivating but embarrassing .

In his May Day message to Nigerian workers, Atiku, who is a presidential aspirant on the platform of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) noted that Nigerian workers are going through the most trying economic times in Nigeria’s history.

The statement reads in full “Nigerian workers, I congratulate you for this day. I salute your courage and resilience going through one of the most trying economic times in Nigeria’s history. But these challenges are showing how resilient and hardworking Nigerians are and that your indomitable spirit and work ethic will continue to go unchallenged throughout all of Africa.

These values have been the bedrock of Nigeria’s labour movement since its beginning. A movement which started off to protect the welfare of railways workers and later coal miners in the days of colonial administrations in Nigeria. A movement that has grown in height and status as the single largest rights protection organization, representing not less than sixty million workers in our country.

Owing to the sheer size of its membership, the labour movements in Nigeria – under the umbrellas of the Nigeria Labour Congress and the Trade Union Congress – have evolved to become the pivot of governments’ objectives of delivering good governance and providing higher standard of living.

Over the years, our labour movements have negotiated higher wage regimes for the Nigerian worker and it (labour) has remained a key component in the consideration for how much Nigerians pay on fuel and energy consumption. These are noble ideals that have ensured that Nigerians have more disposable income – an important safeguard for the kick-start of a prosperous economy.

Having been in government at a high level and being a private sector player with thousands of Nigerians on the payroll of my companies mean that I have seen first-hand the needs of workers both in the private and public sectors and the importance of the labour movement. But as I have stated throughout my adult life, true federalism and a proper decentralization of resources and functions away from the government at the center to the governments at the state tier of our governmental structure is key to providing the labour force what they need and deserve. I believe that our federal government will become smarter when it is smaller and more flexible in addressing the needs of our labour force.

But we must have tangible solutions to address the needs of our incredible and talented labour force. Let’s engage our leaders on the following:

1. Minimum wage: It is my firm belief that whoever works should be adequately rewarded. The reward of a service well rendered is a reasonable wage that can keep the earner sensibly motivated to put in his best. The minimum wage of ₦18,000 per month (less than $50), as is currently obtained in the country, considering the current economic reality is not only ill-motivating but embarrassing.

Read more https://independent.ng/n18000-minimum-wage-embarrassing-to-nigerian-workers-atiku/

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Paying Nigerian Workers N18,000 Minimum Wage Is An Embarrassment - Atiku by saintol(m): 5:25pm On Apr 30, 2018
Saint Atiku, we don hear you ooo, go and sit down. We don't need your sermon to know it is an embarrassment, we all already know it. Whenever they are looking for something, they will turn to Saint, but let them get it, then you will see the real devil in them. No matter what you say, I will never wish that you become the president of this country. Even if you like, promise us that you will give us golden eggs. You are one of the devils that have reduced this country to what it is today. If by any chance you become the president of this country, then the brain in the heads of Nigerians need to be uninstalled and better version reinstalled.

71 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Paying Nigerian Workers N18,000 Minimum Wage Is An Embarrassment - Atiku by Nobody: 5:25pm On Apr 30, 2018
Lol

But you owe workers in your Gotel communication, that their salary is less than 20000

We are watching

70 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Paying Nigerian Workers N18,000 Minimum Wage Is An Embarrassment - Atiku by Donopsiano(m): 5:25pm On Apr 30, 2018
we wont still vote for you sir

43 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Paying Nigerian Workers N18,000 Minimum Wage Is An Embarrassment - Atiku by Neymessi: 5:26pm On Apr 30, 2018
click like if you think atiku will be a better president than buhari

77 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Paying Nigerian Workers N18,000 Minimum Wage Is An Embarrassment - Atiku by obembet(f): 5:26pm On Apr 30, 2018
Scope,

BUHARI talk more than this, He even promise to turn $1 to #1, till now we never see his break light...

U want to use this old methods abi?

When u are privilege to be the president now u will be blaming past administration

15 Likes

Re: Paying Nigerian Workers N18,000 Minimum Wage Is An Embarrassment - Atiku by Pussyisfood: 5:26pm On Apr 30, 2018
He is being ruthlessly truthful, but the question is this. Will he forget about this babbling when he wins/if he wins? Currently Buhari's government doesn't even provide the primary needs a government is supposed to provide it's citizens.
Security has deteriorated in his administration (Things are so bad now that some of the killings in the middle belt are not being reported).

Power is being abused rigorously in his administration. Economy is doing worse than it should be, and the pay doesn't reflect the realities on ground; more recently he is making withdrawals from the ECA without telling anyone (what's the difference between our president and a dictator?)

Yes I agree that Buhari has failed in an epic way and he needs to go, but at this point in my stay in Nigeria and after becoming acclimatized to the Nigerian politics, I have to say that I have become pretty pessimistic about what to expect from politicians. So I just got to ask, are the people campaigning for this man really sure that he is the candidate?

I have lost faith in Nigeria months ago. I doubt if this dysfunctional country can function up to par with other countries, and yes it isn't my fault. I wasn't left with a lot of options.

3 Likes

Re: Paying Nigerian Workers N18,000 Minimum Wage Is An Embarrassment - Atiku by UcheIgboanugo: 5:26pm On Apr 30, 2018
Hmmm
Re: Paying Nigerian Workers N18,000 Minimum Wage Is An Embarrassment - Atiku by iHart(m): 5:26pm On Apr 30, 2018
even if you promise to make it #200 000, we won't still vote for you.

Register your interest to join us on our next training on soap making business
https://www.nairaland.com/4477835/soap-making-business-training-workshop

9 Likes

Re: Paying Nigerian Workers N18,000 Minimum Wage Is An Embarrassment - Atiku by israelmao(m): 5:26pm On Apr 30, 2018
We await who will make it better.
Re: Paying Nigerian Workers N18,000 Minimum Wage Is An Embarrassment - Atiku by Topccy007: 5:27pm On Apr 30, 2018
This Atiku is a serious fool. So you are just aware it's an embarrassment because you want to contest.

But wait, Who are we even voting for?
Honestly, I don't have a candidate yet.
I've never been this confused about the presidential candidate to vote since democracy began in this Country.

We need new hands abeg.

No politician in this Country as of today is worthy to have my precious vote.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Paying Nigerian Workers N18,000 Minimum Wage Is An Embarrassment - Atiku by mn09abk: 5:27pm On Apr 30, 2018
Shatapi their! Shege Banza......You wont still change nothing if you are given a chance.

8 Likes

Re: Paying Nigerian Workers N18,000 Minimum Wage Is An Embarrassment - Atiku by busterr(m): 5:27pm On Apr 30, 2018
cheesy
Re: Paying Nigerian Workers N18,000 Minimum Wage Is An Embarrassment - Atiku by STARKACE(m): 5:27pm On Apr 30, 2018
Even if Buhari lose come 2019, atiku will surely not win.

15 Likes

Re: Paying Nigerian Workers N18,000 Minimum Wage Is An Embarrassment - Atiku by djjoad(m): 5:27pm On Apr 30, 2018
They have started promising heaven.

3 Likes

Re: Paying Nigerian Workers N18,000 Minimum Wage Is An Embarrassment - Atiku by mustmust(m): 5:27pm On Apr 30, 2018
atiku leave all this noise oh ... when you enter the talk will change

3 Likes

Re: Paying Nigerian Workers N18,000 Minimum Wage Is An Embarrassment - Atiku by KidsNEXTdoor: 5:28pm On Apr 30, 2018
Yet the youths are not invading the streets in protest..

In a country where a senator receive more than 15m monthly as running costs

Anyone who supports the status quo is EVIL

Quote me anywhere

8 Likes

Re: Paying Nigerian Workers N18,000 Minimum Wage Is An Embarrassment - Atiku by Benjom(m): 5:30pm On Apr 30, 2018
This is now on record. We'll quote you at the appropriate time
cool

1 Like

Re: Paying Nigerian Workers N18,000 Minimum Wage Is An Embarrassment - Atiku by Paperwhite(m): 5:30pm On Apr 30, 2018
Another political gimmick! undecided

4 Likes

Re: Paying Nigerian Workers N18,000 Minimum Wage Is An Embarrassment - Atiku by Loritess: 5:30pm On Apr 30, 2018
Sir, we won’t still vote for you.

8 Likes

Re: Paying Nigerian Workers N18,000 Minimum Wage Is An Embarrassment - Atiku by TheKingIsHere: 5:30pm On Apr 30, 2018
Ogbeni shut up there. Useless criminal.

As if when you get there you will do any better. angry

All these politricks will not work anymore. Shior

9 Likes

Re: Paying Nigerian Workers N18,000 Minimum Wage Is An Embarrassment - Atiku by skelewu404(m): 5:30pm On Apr 30, 2018
When u were a vice President what did u do about the minimum wage? All these things u r saying up n down will not take u anywhere we r not voting for u

12 Likes

Re: Paying Nigerian Workers N18,000 Minimum Wage Is An Embarrassment - Atiku by trapQ: 5:30pm On Apr 30, 2018
Scammer, oshi.

3 Likes

Re: Paying Nigerian Workers N18,000 Minimum Wage Is An Embarrassment - Atiku by GodFreyinNORSE: 5:30pm On Apr 30, 2018
How many months is our state government owing civil servants? We wish to pay 18,000 every hour of working but do we have any resources that can enable the government to pay? Nope.

Instead of Atiku to tell us how he is going to turn around our economy to enable us pay our state salary backlog and also enable workers to earn 18,000 per hour, he is sugar coating words and fanning before our face some fantasy just to get cheap votes. The political gimmick is outdated. Kolewerk

1 Like

Re: Paying Nigerian Workers N18,000 Minimum Wage Is An Embarrassment - Atiku by Livefreeordieha(m): 5:30pm On Apr 30, 2018
nairavsdollars:
Temidayo Akinsuyi, Lagos

Alhaji Atiku Abubakar, former Vice- President on Monday said the current N18,000 minimum wage currently being paid to workers by the federal government is not only ill-motivating but embarrassing .

In his May Day message to Nigerian workers, Atiku, who is a presidential aspirant on the platform of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) noted that Nigerian workers are going through the most trying economic times in Nigeria’s history.

The statement reads in full “Nigerian workers, I congratulate you for this day. I salute your courage and resilience going through one of the most trying economic times in Nigeria’s history. But these challenges are showing how resilient and hardworking Nigerians are and that your indomitable spirit and work ethic will continue to go unchallenged throughout all of Africa.

These values have been the bedrock of Nigeria’s labour movement since its beginning. A movement which started off to protect the welfare of railways workers and later coal miners in the days of colonial administrations in Nigeria. A movement that has grown in height and status as the single largest rights protection organization, representing not less than sixty million workers in our country.

Owing to the sheer size of its membership, the labour movements in Nigeria – under the umbrellas of the Nigeria Labour Congress and the Trade Union Congress – have evolved to become the pivot of governments’ objectives of delivering good governance and providing higher standard of living.

Over the years, our labour movements have negotiated higher wage regimes for the Nigerian worker and it (labour) has remained a key component in the consideration for how much Nigerians pay on fuel and energy consumption. These are noble ideals that have ensured that Nigerians have more disposable income – an important safeguard for the kick-start of a prosperous economy.

Having been in government at a high level and being a private sector player with thousands of Nigerians on the payroll of my companies mean that I have seen first-hand the needs of workers both in the private and public sectors and the importance of the labour movement. But as I have stated throughout my adult life, true federalism and a proper decentralization of resources and functions away from the government at the center to the governments at the state tier of our governmental structure is key to providing the labour force what they need and deserve. I believe that our federal government will become smarter when it is smaller and more flexible in addressing the needs of our labour force.

But we must have tangible solutions to address the needs of our incredible and talented labour force. Let’s engage our leaders on the following:

1. Minimum wage: It is my firm belief that whoever works should be adequately rewarded. The reward of a service well rendered is a reasonable wage that can keep the earner sensibly motivated to put in his best. The minimum wage of ₦18,000 per month (less than $50), as is currently obtained in the country, considering the current economic reality is not only ill-motivating but embarrassing.

Read more https://independent.ng/n18000-minimum-wage-embarrassing-to-nigerian-workers-atiku/

the pic below depicts atiku and buhari...Both blow lambas without stop cork..

Re: Paying Nigerian Workers N18,000 Minimum Wage Is An Embarrassment - Atiku by docadams: 5:30pm On Apr 30, 2018
Hmmmmmm
Re: Paying Nigerian Workers N18,000 Minimum Wage Is An Embarrassment - Atiku by camgodess(f): 5:30pm On Apr 30, 2018
yeah undecided
Re: Paying Nigerian Workers N18,000 Minimum Wage Is An Embarrassment - Atiku by wristbangle: 5:31pm On Apr 30, 2018
Oh please! This man should shut up. Making ridiculous statement such as restructuring the country under 6 months, inauguration of his cabinet in a day and this... na wetin PMB take deceive people 3years ago naim this one wan do again? undecided

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Paying Nigerian Workers N18,000 Minimum Wage Is An Embarrassment - Atiku by wolexy14(m): 5:31pm On Apr 30, 2018
The pro theif don talk ....if u like promise heaven ....oga u no go still enter .......e better make i vote sowore than u .

1 Like

Re: Paying Nigerian Workers N18,000 Minimum Wage Is An Embarrassment - Atiku by olatade(m): 5:31pm On Apr 30, 2018
Neymessi:
click like if you think atiku will be a better president than buhari

I'm not clicking

7 Likes

Re: Paying Nigerian Workers N18,000 Minimum Wage Is An Embarrassment - Atiku by angelboy01(m): 5:31pm On Apr 30, 2018
This guy is gay, see his red lips
Re: Paying Nigerian Workers N18,000 Minimum Wage Is An Embarrassment - Atiku by yazach: 5:32pm On Apr 30, 2018
nairavsdollars:
Temidayo Akinsuyi, Lagos

campaign strategy

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

EFCC Can’t Function Effectively With AGF Like Abubakar Malami - Junaid Mohammed / Akpabio Builds Four Points Sheraton In Akwa Ibom / Army Uncovers Plan To Use Armed Thugs During Elections In Niger Delta

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.