Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,202 members, 7,807,683 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 05:20 PM

Is Inec Bigger Than Nigerian Law. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Is Inec Bigger Than Nigerian Law. (2006 Views)

Tompolo Not Bigger Than Nigeria; He Must Be Arrested – Keyamo / Fayose And Muazu Took It To Another Level, Bigger Than Our Heads [PHOTO] / Is INEC Really Independent? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Inec Bigger Than Nigerian Law. by adconline(m): 5:56am On Mar 16, 2007
Re: Is Inec Bigger Than Nigerian Law. by donnymikky(m): 6:02am On Mar 16, 2007
How??
Re: Is Inec Bigger Than Nigerian Law. by adconline(m): 6:08am On Mar 16, 2007
by disobeying court's ruling
Re: Is Inec Bigger Than Nigerian Law. by lewa(m): 6:20am On Mar 16, 2007
Be careful what you ask for!
Re: Is Inec Bigger Than Nigerian Law. by dblock(m): 6:25am On Mar 16, 2007
Why not, If Inec is making the right decision, which it is then Bleep the Senate
If the senate wants to ruin Nigeria then maybe it shouldn't be held credible angry angry angry
Re: Is Inec Bigger Than Nigerian Law. by adconline(m): 6:28am On Mar 16, 2007
Is INEC a decision making body? The senate makes the law and courts interpret it. So INEC cannot disobey court orders. Its because that Zimbabweans were afraid to ask questions that Mugabe will have the nerve to tell them to go hang for disagreeing with his policies. Nigeria is shifting towards anarchy, look at people getting charged for terrorism. Not even Asari Dokubo could be charged for terrorism, but political opponents like Iyiochia Ayu who was a federal minister in OBJ's government.
Re: Is Inec Bigger Than Nigerian Law. by dblock(m): 6:32am On Mar 16, 2007
Bleep the court rule, I'll rather have Inec disobey the court in the best wishes of the nation than have them follow some ridiculous rule and see Nigeria turn to Hell Fire in the first second of Atiku's regime, God forbid
Re: Is Inec Bigger Than Nigerian Law. by adconline(m): 6:42am On Mar 16, 2007
You are not seeing a bigger picture, Atiku is disqualified yes, and this sets a precedent for presidents. Yar'dua will use it against his rivals. Ngige and Peter Obi are disqualified for a rogue like Andy Uba to be a governor. Illegality can never give rise to legality. Atiku is a monster created by OBJ and he is not better.
Re: Is Inec Bigger Than Nigerian Law. by dblock(m): 6:53am On Mar 16, 2007
Atiku is disqualified?

Yippee

This calls for celebration
Re: Is Inec Bigger Than Nigerian Law. by adconline(m): 7:00am On Mar 16, 2007
MYOPIC MINDED NIGERIANS OBJ  misused $26 milion and Atiku  misused $120 according to Senate report They are both thieves,  so OBJ is so unclean to conduct a free and fair election. Andy Uba is his stooge in Anambra. Let's glorify that another stooge, Yar'dua,  is comming to power. Can good thing come out of Jerusalem?
Re: Is Inec Bigger Than Nigerian Law. by dblock(m): 7:14am On Mar 16, 2007
Yar Adua is a diseased lunatic that is not one bit liberal
Re: Is Inec Bigger Than Nigerian Law. by dayokanu(m): 7:24am On Mar 16, 2007
It's sad to hear that some ppl are celebrating and finding means to justify INEC for disqualifying ATK.
INEC flouted the law so the precedence we have now is that the court ruling on issues do not matter as long as the president like's or does not like you. If court rulings are that useless in Naija now only God knowswhat Kind of dem o cracy we are running.
Moreover who told INEC that ATK was that popular they shld allow him to test his popularity. They are infact making him look like a victim of injustice a hero/martyr
Re: Is Inec Bigger Than Nigerian Law. by dblock(m): 7:26am On Mar 16, 2007
What victim of injustice, are you on Drugs
Atiku is a bastard and I don't care how Inec got rid of him, I'm just glad that

[size=14pt]Nigeria is safe[/size] from his claws

God has answered my prayers
Re: Is Inec Bigger Than Nigerian Law. by adconline(m): 7:51am On Mar 16, 2007
dblock  it seems that you are one on drug because you believe that Atiku caused all the plane crashes and power failures in Naija. INEC is telling other govt agencies that they can  disobey court orders with impunity. NBC can shut down AIT, MBI and co, NAFDAC can seize and destroy people's products, Police can lock opposition candidates withour recourse to the law. Atiku is a fraction of the problem. Mugabe is locking opposition, Museveni of Uganda is locking opposition, So is Zenawi of Ethiopia and Nigeria has joined the list. WELCOME TO ANOTHER RETROGRESSION OF THE CENTURY. What Abacha did ten years ago, we are repeating today. We are glorifying in illegality. Millions  are going to be disenfranchised in Anambra because of this singular act.
Re: Is Inec Bigger Than Nigerian Law. by dblock(m): 8:01am On Mar 16, 2007
Obasnajo did what obasnajo did, I am not on Drugs because I don't eant my country to go to Hell. OBJ ruined Naija but Atiku will take it one step further and turn it to Hell, that is why I am aginst Atiku, Justice or Injustice. I am willing to give my life to ensure that Atiku gets nowhere close to Aso Rock.

OBJ took some money but Atiku will take the whole foreign reserve plus the excess funds, thus instantly making him the world's richest man instantly.

If drugs makes me realise that Atiku is a bastard, then drugs I will smoke

God Bless Nigeria cheesy
Re: Is Inec Bigger Than Nigerian Law. by McKren(m): 9:13am On Mar 16, 2007
[size=16pt]INEC WORKED WITHIN THE CONFINES OF THE LAW. THEY SIMPLY ADHERED TO THE CONSTITUTION[/size]
Re: Is Inec Bigger Than Nigerian Law. by jgirl3: 9:20am On Mar 16, 2007
Abi o @ McKren. I thought the same thing because until Atiku is freed by the constitution, there is no way INEC is going to allow him to run for presidency.
Re: Is Inec Bigger Than Nigerian Law. by bolaoni(m): 9:30am On Mar 16, 2007
@adc,

I feel what you are saying, but it seems most of us see it as an Atiku issue alone.
The bigger picture is worrisome guys and that is what I believe adconline is talking
about.

If INEC or whoever has the right to disqualify Atiku, what happened to Kalu? I thought
they were both indicted by EFCC. What offence has Peter Obi committed to be
disqualified? Just by the abuse of power by INEC and whoever, Andy Uba is the only
candidate in Anambra and all roads have been cleared for him to march to the government
house, unperturbed.

GUYS THINK! WE ARE UNDER SIEGE cry cry cry
Re: Is Inec Bigger Than Nigerian Law. by Afam(m): 9:34am On Mar 16, 2007
INEC chairman asked a very important question as regards whether it has the powers to disqualify a candidate.

He asked whether INEC should allow a foreigner that has clearly presented documents that he is indeed a foreigner to run for the post of presidency of Nigeria simply because his political party wants him to run?

By the way the constitution is clear that anyone indicted by even an administrative panel and same accepted by the FG cannot stand for elections in our land.

Immunity don dey expire small small only God knows how many of these people will embrak on self imposed exile because after May 29th, they shall be held accountable for their actions.
Re: Is Inec Bigger Than Nigerian Law. by jgirl3: 9:41am On Mar 16, 2007
I thought they were still investigating the EFCC list. I heard that there were two lists because the second one was tampered and doctored to exclude some people from that list. For now, I wouldn't take that list too seriously. My guess is that Kalu's name was probably taken off the second list. As far as I'm concerned, EFCC is effective outside political biz but after the National Assembly investigates it, then we'll be sure of who's running and who's not.
Re: Is Inec Bigger Than Nigerian Law. by McKren(m): 9:46am On Mar 16, 2007
If INEC or whoever has the right to disqualify Atiku, what happened to Kalu? I thought
they were both indicted by EFCC

Kalu got a court ruling to quash his indictment, Atiku has not been able to do that. Instead of going for his own he was hoping to benefit from a court case that he is not the plaintiff or party to.

What offence has Peter Obi committed to be
disqualified? Just by the abuse of power by INEC and whoever, Andy Uba is the only
candidate in Anambra and all roads have been cleared for him to march to the government
house, unperturbed.

What a sad situation this is but the fact remains that Obi did not meet the deadline for substitution of candidates and INEC had no choice but to recognise Etiaba as APGA candidate. Ngige on the otherhand refused to present himself for verification and was also indicted by Government white paper, so technically he is out. Take emotions out of this INEC can only work on facts on its table and as much as the situation is not that to be desired INEC still got to its decision in respect to the law.
I personally do pray and hope that Obi wins his court case claiming he has more 3 years in office. That looks the only way Uba will be stopped. However blaim the Presidency for the dramma in Anambra and not INEC.

On the whole, people should stop blackmailing INEC, I have simply not seen what they have done wrong. They have got such a very difficult job at hand. The INEC spokesman was quoted as saying that sometimes they get 3 court orders on the same issue, you respect one you disobey two and you simply cant obey the three. Our courts are part of the problem, they operate on the principle of FLEXIBLE PRONOUNCEMENTS  where verdicts are customised to plaintiff's specifications.
Re: Is Inec Bigger Than Nigerian Law. by emmanas(m): 10:27am On Mar 16, 2007
who is inec? who's obasanjo? when mr president is backing iwu's who can't go agains.

mr president is d chief judge and @ d same time he is d inec dont mind him, then who is d inec &who is court but remember Nigeria law now back d rich & figth agains d poor meaning those that stand against the president.
Re: Is Inec Bigger Than Nigerian Law. by demmy(m): 10:53am On Mar 16, 2007
Nobody is disqualified that does not deserved to be disqualified. Ngige didn't show up for the verification. He sent an affidavit to INEC from U.S. Imagine!!! Obi was not nominated by his party or any other party for that matter. And Atiku is a A-thief, as his name and the senate committee report showed.

So where is the problem? In future if more bad people are disqualified so much the better. Nigeria is a corrupt society because our leaders are corrupt. The less thieving leaders we have parading the better. Beside Atiku is a sneaky fool. While still in the PDP he was secretly bankrolling another party and still didn't have the courage to resign from his VP post even though he has been a useless VP all this time. So good riddance to bad rubbish.

Now lets vote Pat Utomi for change.
Re: Is Inec Bigger Than Nigerian Law. by dayokanu(m): 9:45am On Mar 17, 2007
PAt Utomi has this to say
Commenting on INEC’s list of presidential candidates and Abubakar’s disqualification, Utomi said, “I find it inappropriate that we don’t have a list of candidates who can run for election. Whether a person is good or bad, it should be left to the Nigerian people to make a decision. The officers who have information about candidates should make them available to Nigerians and allow the people decide.”
check todays Thisday paper
Re: Is Inec Bigger Than Nigerian Law. by dblock(m): 9:51am On Mar 17, 2007
So an election should be an event where people vote for people, regardless of their background. So Bin Laden should be allowed to contest in an election (And don't say that it is different because they are both criminals).
Atiku should be in Jail not running for an election, the consequence for stealing is jail not barring somone from something and saying that's it. Fine Atiku should have being allowed to run, but how could he run if he should be in Jail grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Is Inec Bigger Than Nigerian Law. by McKren(m): 10:11am On Mar 17, 2007
Pat Utomi and Buhari are trying to sound politically correct, they do not believe in what they are saying. Afterall when government adopted the white paper on indictment of Atiku and others Buhari was the first to exclaim that Atiku is finished politicaly. If after having a meeting with Atiku, Buhari is now suggesting otherwise I think we should be asking Buhari what deal he struck with Atiku thats able to change his view drastically within a forthnight.

Disciplinarian my foot, Buhari among every other thing is scrambling for Atiku voters. Cheap desperation, to score cheap political points.
Re: Is Inec Bigger Than Nigerian Law. by dayokanu(m): 10:25am On Mar 17, 2007
And this,
Maybe Agbakoba is trying to be politically correct too
Atiku: NBA, NSCIA fault INEC
By Tony Amokeodo
Published: Saturday, 17 Mar 2007
The Nigerian Bar Association and the Nigerian Supreme Council for Islamic Affairs on Friday warned the Chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission, Prof. Maurice Iwu, against acts that could derail the April elections.

Addressing journalists in Lagos, the NBA President, Chief Olisa Agbakoba (SAN), said the association took serious objection to the statement credited to INEC that it had the power to decide the fate of candidates.

He declared that the electoral agency lacked such powers. Agbakoba further told journalists in Lagos that the NBA had summoned an emergency meeting of its National Executive Committee for next week, in order to adopt a common front on the unfolding saga.

He added that over 50, 000 members of the association would be called upon to undertake strong advocacy on the contentious issue, saying the exigencies of the time demanded action on the part of members.

The NBA, in letter to Iwu which was made available to our correspondent, said, “INEC is confronted with a plethora of constitutional challenges that will likely have grave consequences for the electoral process.

“The only proper procedure that INEC should have adopted in relation to matters in court dealing with qualification and substitution of candidates was to suspend action and await judgment. By excluding candidates with pending matters, INEC has preempted the decision of the courts and is in grave contempt. Again, we respectfully state that INEC cannot select which court decisions to obey. It is bound by every decision. The remedy is to appeal.

“NBA calls on INEC to absolutely follow the due rule of law, constitutionalism and due process. We will not allow INEC to take us to the wrong path. The only strong safeguard of constitutional democracy is to make it difficult for those who wish to thwart democracy to have their way.”

Also on Friday, the NSCIA urged INEC to rescind its disqualification of Vice-President Atiku Abubakar. The group made this appeal in a statement in Abeokuta by its Secretary-General, Dr. Lateef Adegbite.

The NSCIA warned that INEC‘s decision to disqualify Abubakar and other candidates could plunge the country into chaos. It wondered why the commission should disobey court orders on the matter.

The group said, “INEC should obey the rulings of the court on the matter since the judiciary is the final arbiter on the constitution and other laws of the land. We also appeal to all stakeholders in the elections to play the game according to the rules. Nothing should be done by politicians to disturb the public peace. The youth particularly must not allow themselves to be used to foment violence. The world is watching Nigeria. We must emerge from the elections with pride. May Almighty Allah make it so
Re: Is Inec Bigger Than Nigerian Law. by dblock(m): 10:26am On Mar 17, 2007
Theym all are
Re: Is Inec Bigger Than Nigerian Law. by azorjiu(m): 10:30am On Mar 17, 2007
Disciplinarian my foot, Buhari among every other thing is scrambling for Atiku voters. Cheap desperation, to score cheap political points.

You can be more correct McKren. Pat and Buhari are playing on words.

It is unconstitutional and illegal for INEC to qualify Atiku. Iwu will go to jail if goes against the provisions of the constitution. He is only doing what is constitutional.
Re: Is Inec Bigger Than Nigerian Law. by adconline(m): 10:36am On Mar 17, 2007
The hand writing on the wall is that OBJ never wanted to hand over power. He is hell bent on derailing this electoral process, because  Atiku and Co will engage him in  political and legal battles. OBJ will declare a state of emergency to continue. INEC   does not make law and as such should not interpret the law. There was an Abuja High court in favor of Atiku.
Shagari and co amassed public funds; they were barred from holding any political gethering by Buhari. No kobo was recovered from them- U remember Umaru dikko.
IBB could not acount for $12 billion oil wind fall,  Ribadu said that he would  not allow him to rule Naija again. What about prosecution?
Marwa was intimidated and we dont hear about him any more. What happened to his loot?  Abacha stole money, his family may not contest, but they still have  his stolen loot.
Abdulsalam Abubakar depleted our national treasury, he is a free man. OBJ stole money so did Atiku. INEC has disqaulified Atiku, well, what happens to his loot. No prosecution, because OBJ was also indicted by Senate report. This vicious circle of stealing public fund continues  and the only penalty is to stop you from contesting election.

Yar'dua if he wins will do same thing and fall out with his deputy. If OBJ is really serious let him redraft the constitution in order to weaken executive immunity. Let's remember that EFCC  acted  out this script and yet ANDY UBA is a free man. Ribadu gave OBJ  a clean bill on corruption and Senate report accused him of misusing $26 million. Let's get real folks. We never solve corruption by stopping political opponents; because incoming government will amass wealth. Get one chance and steal billions, penalty = thou shall not contest next election, but you are free to loam Naija with your loot.
Re: Is Inec Bigger Than Nigerian Law. by dayokanu(m): 10:44am On Mar 17, 2007
Adcon,
As evidence to what you just said see this
Protest in Abeokuta, Yola, Awka
By Niyi Odebode, Abeokuta, Ihuoma Chiedozie, Abuja and John Ameh, Awka
Published: Saturday, 17 Mar 2007
Protests rocked parts of the country on Friday over the disqualification of the presidential candidate of the Action Congress, Vice-President Atiku Abubakar, by the Independent National Electoral Commission.

No fewer than 5,000 members of the Action Congress in Ogun State led by the Acting Secretary of the party, Mr. Ranti Oyebade, converged on the AC secretariat on MKO Abiola Way, Abeokuta, at 10 am, bearing placards with inscriptions such as “Obasanjo, let Nigerians choose,” “Iwu, you are unfolding Obasanjo’s agenda,” “INEC lacks power to disqualify Atiku”, and “Obasanjo, go back to Ota.” Addressing the party members, Oyebade described the disqualification of the AC’s presidential candidate as undemocratic
Even in Abeokuta. How many people have spoken in favour of INEC's decision apart from ppl in the presidency.

Again the court is to interprete the constitution and not you and I
Re: Is Inec Bigger Than Nigerian Law. by donnymikky(m): 10:45am On Mar 17, 2007
As far as I know INEC has not disobeyed any court ORDER or DISORDER. The court just said INEC has no right to disqualify any candidate but rather It has the right to verify and screen any candidate base on information he or she submitted to INEC. The truth of the matter is that the Judiciary is playing politics with the elections. Ask me why?/ these are my basic reasons

1.If INEC has the right to screen and verify informations what happens if any candidate is found wanting base on the information he or she had submitted to INEC??

2. The COURT says INEC can not disqualify any candidate but the CONSTITUTION says any candidate indicted by a duely recognised pannel of enquary is not fit to stand for an election. Now the question is who/which does INEC obey COURT OR CONSTITUTION?.

3. ELECTION is like a football match; CANDIDATES are the teams in contest; INEC is the referee. If INEC as the referee in this election has no right to take decission then why is it appointed to officiate??. The Judiciary has been blinded by GHANA-MUST-GO and pocketed by the moneybags masquerading themselves as Politicians.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Taiwo Akinkumi Should Stop Blackmailing Nigeria / Bayelsa Deputy Governor's Aid Caught In A Prophetic Certificate Scandal, As Scho / Bankers Intensify Status Contest With Private Jets

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.