Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,241 members, 7,780,479 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 03:14 PM

I Regret Ever Reading Political And Administrative Studies At The UNIPORT. - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / I Regret Ever Reading Political And Administrative Studies At The UNIPORT. (26155 Views)

Uniport Post-graduate Student Sets To Marry His Course-mate / I Regret Going To The University / The UNIPORT Admission List For 2019/2020 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Regret Ever Reading Political And Administrative Studies At The UNIPORT. by Nobody: 2:00pm On May 01, 2018
[quote author=Mires post=67179089]

Bro, I understands your plight very well. I am speaking from experience as both a student at a point and academic.

1. It takes more than you can imagined to graduate with First Class. Grace is also involved.

2. Let it be known to you that hardly will any lecturer denied an intelligent and smart student First Class if he actually deserves it. Do you want us to believe that lecturers can call a meeting to deny you First Class?

Says who? Many lecturers are saddist especially in public universities. You rarely see this in private universities

3. I am not a Political Scientist but I do know that it is a discipline that's highly subjective in arguments owing to the fact that there are several school of thought. Hence, a student who wants to make First Class in such a department has to understudy the school of thought each lecturer belongs in order to write in that direction. Will you be comparing making First Class in Pol Sc to Physics which has laid down procedures?

4. It's unfortunate what you pointed out before us. Uniport lecturers are known for that. I can attest to it having understand the tenet of Choba and its environ. However, you still have few exceptional academics such as Prof Alapiki. Indeed, you will say that he's a sadist. I will rather say he's a disciplinarian who has proven upright in his calling over time.

5. The fact that some of your colleagues got grade they never deserved because of their relationship with some academics shouldn't bother you. Speak for yourself. I keep telling people that when I looked back in the course of acquiring some level of education, what gives me joy is that I have never given any lecturer #1. My lecturers rather gave me.

6. It is more honorable to fail than to cheat.
Re: I Regret Ever Reading Political And Administrative Studies At The UNIPORT. by ehisforever24(m): 2:03pm On May 01, 2018
My dear I studied engineering in madonna university, If u are given second class lower u will rejoice and collect, seriously education in Nigeria is scam
Re: I Regret Ever Reading Political And Administrative Studies At The UNIPORT. by Mires: 2:17pm On May 01, 2018
[quote author=asuustrike2009 post=67184342][/quote]

Your observation is not tenable. I will rather say that lecturers in private universities are soft and handles students with kid gloves given that the industry is competitive.

Let me shock you a little.

A very respected professor of University of Ibadan was on Sabbatical at Igbinedion University some years ago.

While he was delivering his lectures, three students were busy holding "meeting" amongst themselves.

When the professor noticed what was going on, he asked them to leave his class immediately (This is part of the character moulding in public universities in Nigeria).

The students did as instructed and went to relax under a tree to continue their "meeting".

Not quite long, Chief Igbinedion saw the students and asked them what are they doing outside while their colleagues are busy studying?

As expected, the students told the high chief that Prof ordered them out of his class.

Chief took them in and requested that prof should see him in his office after the lecture which he did.

Chief told prof, do you realised that without those students whom you sent outside, we can't pay your salary?

The next day, Prof left Igbinedion university and returned back to where discipline is upheld. Not private universities where they produced First Class that are equivalent to 2.2 in some public universities

1 Like

Re: I Regret Ever Reading Political And Administrative Studies At The UNIPORT. by mebad(m): 2:40pm On May 01, 2018
helpfulposts:

Bros, are you serious about this? I also graduate from UNIPORT that is why am asking.

Personal experience and True story .
Re: I Regret Ever Reading Political And Administrative Studies At The UNIPORT. by slegend(m): 3:15pm On May 01, 2018
Paulloveiheoma:
I believe that there are a 1001 ways for you to advice me without using the swear word "fvcked". By God's SUFFICIENT GRACE, I am not fvcked & I will never be. I might not have the necessary connections or VERY rich parents, but I certainly do have SKILLS & I'm going to maximize on them. Besides, I never even planned on using my certificate for one day.
oga calm down,nobody dey para for you...WE KNOW
Re: I Regret Ever Reading Political And Administrative Studies At The UNIPORT. by helpfulposts(m): 3:20pm On May 01, 2018
mebad:

Personal experience and True story .
Chai
Abeg list the universities.
Re: I Regret Ever Reading Political And Administrative Studies At The UNIPORT. by Wheezdom(m): 3:30pm On May 01, 2018
Am a uniport aspirant, plz xom1 shud advice me...
Re: I Regret Ever Reading Political And Administrative Studies At The UNIPORT. by Humility017(m): 3:36pm On May 01, 2018
RexEmmyGee:
if you ever be a lecturer, you will be wicked
that's your opinion...and it holds nothing in me...
Re: I Regret Ever Reading Political And Administrative Studies At The UNIPORT. by Paulloveiheoma(m): 4:08pm On May 01, 2018
Iykenuwa:
What you have, my dear brother, is inferiority complex.
I read political science, today I am gainfully employed; and I have no cause for regrets whatsoever.

if you are not content with your qualification, wisdom demands that you make moves to improve on yourself, and get more certifications and qualifications where possible.

That option is far better than coming online to rant about your woes (Who first class epp?), and rain insults on whoever does not agree with you.

If I had to choose again, I will still choose Political Science.
do I look like someone that has inferiority complex to you? you don't know nothing about me bro. if u like, study political science over & over again, it's non of my biz. before you conclude blindly that 1st class is my issue, go back & read my post once more, this time around; line by line. God bless....
Re: I Regret Ever Reading Political And Administrative Studies At The UNIPORT. by RexEmmyGee: 4:10pm On May 01, 2018
Humility017:

that's your opinion...and it holds nothing in me...
a wise person will ask why a random fellow will directly say that
Re: I Regret Ever Reading Political And Administrative Studies At The UNIPORT. by oluwatobi01(m): 4:11pm On May 01, 2018
[quote author=oladele00 post=67178649]Na so one stupid lecturer dey threatening me back then at aaua... But the day I slappped him, His lost brain came back to him.

Bad people everywhere

My fellow AAUAITES,datz how dey do in aaua jare,make God help person.In btw,u r in wat dept?..I rep biochm dept,final yr stu..
Re: I Regret Ever Reading Political And Administrative Studies At The UNIPORT. by Humility017(m): 4:16pm On May 01, 2018
RexEmmyGee:
a wise person will ask why a random fellow will directly say that
and only someone who is not wise...Will jump to such conclusion or judgement...
just as you did....in your first mention....

why should I deprive others of good grades...when I have never been deprived..
before my results are released...I know If I am getting As or Bs. ..
and it always fall into such place....

I am young Nigerian that believes in hardwork....
Re: I Regret Ever Reading Political And Administrative Studies At The UNIPORT. by Paulloveiheoma(m): 4:22pm On May 01, 2018
LegDoLand:

Lolz...

You call someone who graduated from a tough Nigerian public university at a young age of 21 and have, for the past 5years, experienced, first hand, that employers need people that can perform and not people with a first class certificate, ignorant?

Your problem is deeply attitudinal. I can strongly guess you are among the haughty kind who would brazenly challenge your lecturers in class in an effort to show your intelligence.

Instead of faulting my argument with logical points, you call me ignorant. How many Nairalanders have you met in effort to let them see reason with you.

We are waiting for you in the labour market. I hope you will not come boasting about how you are among the best graduating students in your class and not how you can get the job done.

PS: Can you stop the excessive and inappropriate use of the exclamation mark in your comments? We are all having a friendly discussion here

- LegDoLand...give your feet a treat
(1) you sound so childish to me by boasting with your age in regards to when you graduated. Are you the 1st person to graduate at such an early age. If I tell you how old I was when I got admission & how old I am now, then you would know that you weren't supose to make mention of how old you were when you graduated. that's an obviously invalid point my fellow nairalander. (2) you don't know nothing about me, so do not conclude so easily that I'm highly attitudinal & that I usually challenged lecturers. listen brother, I can proudly tell you that throughout my 4years in UNIPORT, I never asked question for once, not to talk of challenging lecturers. If a lecturer teaches something I don't understand, I usually go make my private research & I was cool with my pattern. As for my intelligence, I usually displayed it in the examination hall by proving to the lecturers that I wasn't absent minded when they were lecturing. (3) please, please & please, do not bother expecting my entry into the labour market cox I ain't coming there. I got other plans in life which shouldn't be your business. If you're already in the labour market, focus on yourself & don't even harbour the thought of anticipating my coming. that should be the least of your worries. God bless you & I wish you all the best in the labour market which you claim to be in.

1 Like

Re: I Regret Ever Reading Political And Administrative Studies At The UNIPORT. by RexEmmyGee: 4:29pm On May 01, 2018
Humility017:

and only someone who is not wise...Will jump to such conclusion or judgement...
just as you did....in your first mention....

why should I deprive others of good grades...when I have never been deprived..
before my results are released...I know If I am getting As or Bs. ..
and it always fall into such place....

I am young Nigerian that believes in hardwork....
wow. Thats awesome. I think you deserve some accolades. When you start lecturing, you will fully understand what am talking about until then, i rest my case
Re: I Regret Ever Reading Political And Administrative Studies At The UNIPORT. by Humility017(m): 6:27pm On May 01, 2018
RexEmmyGee:
wow. Thats awesome. I think you deserve some accolades. When you start lecturing, you will fully understand what am talking about until then, i rest my case

your case is like a man who thinks everyone will ply same route when given the freedom to make choice.

learn never to judge people simply because you're like that.

you don't even know me....neither do you know what i do....

out of frustration you passed a judgement on me...an educated person don't do such....
I choosed reply you...because I have never had such a shallow conception since I have been on nairaland.
Re: I Regret Ever Reading Political And Administrative Studies At The UNIPORT. by Nobody: 6:35pm On May 01, 2018
omocalabar:
I graduated from University of uyo same course...the current HOD use to make similar statement saying as a student in the same Dept and same school, he was denied first class and he will make sure no one gets it...so bro, just move on...I can't count how many courses that lecturers deliberately gave me bad grades, but ve moved on, pls do the same

What's the name of the HOD?
Re: I Regret Ever Reading Political And Administrative Studies At The UNIPORT. by Nobody: 7:09pm On May 01, 2018
Mires:

Your observation is not tenable. I will rather say that lecturers in private universities are soft and handles students with kid gloves given that the industry is competitive.

A very respected professor of University of Ibadan was on Sabbatical at Igbinedion University some years ago.

While he was delivering his lectures, three students were busy holding "meeting" amongst themselves.

When the professor noticed what was going on, he asked them to leave his class immediately (This is part of the character moulding in public universities in Nigeria).

The students did as instructed and went to relax under a tree to continue their "meeting".

Not quite long, Chief Igbinedion saw the students and asked them what are they doing outside while their colleagues are busy studying?

As expected, the students told the high chief that Prof ordered them out of his class.

Chief took them in and requested that prof should see him in his office after the lecture which he did.

Chief told prof, do you realised that without those students whom you sent outside, we can't pay your salary?

The next day, Prof left Igbinedion university and returned back to where discipline is upheld. Not private universities where they produced First Class that are equivalent to 2.2 in some public universities[b][/b]
The bolded part, abeg lie small. How can you use Igbinedion university as a yardstick to judge the rest universities. Many public universities are not discipline. What you call discipline is hatred,envy and jealousy most lecturers has. Now tell the case of that student being forced to sleep with her lecturer was from which university was it private or public university?. The case of cultism was it from private or public university?. If public university lecturers behave well, many private universities will fold
Re: I Regret Ever Reading Political And Administrative Studies At The UNIPORT. by dionflex: 7:27pm On May 01, 2018
I have been told that already in this 100level in IMSU.
bluntly told us that nothing like 1st class in Political Science in d whole world
Re: I Regret Ever Reading Political And Administrative Studies At The UNIPORT. by Mires: 7:48pm On May 01, 2018
asuustrike2009:

The bolded part, abeg lie small. How can you use Igbinedion university as a yardstick to judge the rest universities. Many public universities are not discipline. What you call discipline is hatred,envy and jealousy most lecturers has. Now tell the case of that student being forced to sleep with her lecturer was from which university was it private or public university?. The case of cultism was it from private or public university?. If public university lecturers behave well, many private universities will fold

Hahahaha. Bro let me answer you one after the other.

1. What the randy professor of OAU did to Monica isn't exclusively public universities centred. Sexual harassment happens everywhere including private universities. It happens even in restaurants where the sales girls possibly earn #8,000 monthly. I have a number of friends who had their BSc from private universities in Nigeria. I don't want to be push to mention universities. But to prove beyond every reasonable doubt, some of them attest to the fact that "sorting" and sex for marks are obtainable at Madonna University, Babcock University, Bowen University. The list is endless. Some years ago, some students of Landmark University were expelled on discovery that they were pregnant. The aforementioned students jumped the gate and went out to catch fun. Even in the most respected private university in Nigeria, these things happen. The only thing one can say is that the magnitude differs and could be low in private universities because the owners watched over their investments. Don't come and tell me it doesn't happen at all. If not because of profit making, it would have being prevalent in private universities given that one can easily find "rich spoilt children" in numbers. Even in Covenant university, you still find some students expelled as a result of cultism. It is everywhere.

2. Why will a lecturer hate a student? Of what interest is it for a lecturer to jealous a student who is dependent on his/her parents? What is it that a lecturer that earns at least six digits envy a student who can hardly eat without a recourse to his/her parents? This doesn't hold water any day. As a student, I refused to believe that a lecturer can victimized any student. And as an academic, I still share that notion till tomorrow. For instance, a student chooses to drive to school the latest car, a lecturer is too occupied to even look towards that direction let alone victimizing the student.

3. You said "If public university (sic) lecturers behave (sic) well, many private universities will fold". It is not true. A greater proportion of students who secure admission to private universities couldn't meet up the competition in public universities. Hence, they chose to go to where their money can make way for them with low UTME. For instance, a student with 260 in UTME and wants to study Medicine and Surgery or Law or Economics at Ui, UNN, ABU, Unilag and OAU is likely not to be admitted to study any of these courses. But if he/she can afford some " sweet" millions of naira, Covenant University, Afe Babalola University and so on are sure bet.
Re: I Regret Ever Reading Political And Administrative Studies At The UNIPORT. by OGHENAOGIE(m): 8:09pm On May 01, 2018
Mires:

The next day, Prof left Igbinedion university and returned back to where discipline is upheld. Not private universities where they produced First Class that are equivalent to 2.2 in some public universities
wat if d prof talk to d students sending dem out is it d solution...na pple like ina De encourage sadism and make lecturers all powerful.... cheif was rite without students no lecturers... Ist class in private equates 2.2 nonsense.....absolute nonsense...education is not war...if I had attended a private school nd graduated with 2.2 e for pay me pass going to public school nd spending over six yrs for a 2.1 dat is yet to give me headway in life......
Re: I Regret Ever Reading Political And Administrative Studies At The UNIPORT. by OGHENAOGIE(m): 8:18pm On May 01, 2018
[quote author=Mires post=67192805]

1. What the randy professor of OAU did to Monica isn't exclusively public universities centred. Sexual harassment happens everywhere including private universities. It happens even in restaurants where the sales girls possibly earn #8,000 monthly. I have a number of friends who had their BSc from private universities in Nigeria. I don't want to be push to mention universities. But to prove beyond every reasonable doubt, some of them attest to the fact that "sorting" and sex for marks are obtainable at Madonna University, Babcock University, Bowen University. The list is endless. Some years ago, some students of Landmark University were expelled on discovery that they were pregnant. The aforementioned students jumped the gate and went out to catch fun. Even in the most respected private university in Nigeria, these things happen. The only thing one can say is that the magnitude differs and could be low in private universities because the owners watched over their investments. Don't come and tell me it doesn't happen at all. If not because of profit making, it would have being prevalent in private universities given that one can easily find "rich spoilt children" in numbers. Even in Covenant university, you still find some students expelled as a result of cultism. It is everywhere.

2. Why will a lecturer hate a student? Of what interest is it for a lecturer to jealous a student who is dependent on his/her parents? What is it that a lecturer that earns at least six digits envy a student who can hardly eat without a recourse to his/her parents? This doesn't hold water any day. As a student, I refused to believe that a lecturer can victimized any student. And as an academic, I still share that notion till tomorrow. For instance, a student chooses to drive to school the latest car, a lecturer is too occupied to even look towards that direction let alone victimizing the student.

3. You said "If public university (sic) lecturers behave (sic) well, many private universities will fold". It is not true. A greater proportion of students who secure admission to private universities couldn't meet up the competition in public universities. Hence, they chose to go to where their money can make way for them with low UTME. For instance, a student with 260 in UTME and wants to study Medicine and Surgery or Law or Economics at Ui, UNN, ABU, Unilag and OAU is likely not to be admitted to study any of these courses. But if he/she can afford some " sweet" millions of naira, Covenant University, Afe Babalola University and so on are sure bet. [/quote mtcheeew
Re: I Regret Ever Reading Political And Administrative Studies At The UNIPORT. by Mires: 8:18pm On May 01, 2018
OGHENAOGIE:
wat if d prof talk to d students sending dem out is it d solution...na pple like ina De encourage sadism and make lecturers all powerful.... cheif was rite without students no lecturers... Ist class in private equates 2.2 nonsense.....absolute nonsense...education is not war...if I had attended a private school nd graduated with 2.2 e for pay me pass going to public school nd spending over six yrs for a 2.1 dat is yet to give me headway in life......

Young man, what's sadism because I can't find that in the dictionary?

It was your choice to opt for a public university. Hope you know that the money you spent for fee for six years isn't up to a semester fee in private university.

Go and acquire a skill. 2.1 these days is not a guarantee for a job. Check NBS to know the current unemployment rate in Nigeria.
Re: I Regret Ever Reading Political And Administrative Studies At The UNIPORT. by OGHENAOGIE(m): 8:20pm On May 01, 2018
Mires:

Young man, what's sadism because I can't find that in the dictionary?

It was your choice to opt for a public university. Hope you know that the money you spent for fee for six years isn't up to a semester fee in private university.
u think any sane person who has d funds ll opt for public school with so many wahala...lets be frank here...a lot of tins are wrong with our public schools.... Except u want us to sugar coat tins... A situation wer a lecturer finds it difficult to give students B is dat nt bin a sadist...a situation wer a students results get missing afta bin released wat do u call dat

1 Like

Re: I Regret Ever Reading Political And Administrative Studies At The UNIPORT. by Flamezzz: 9:05pm On May 01, 2018
BiafranBushBoy:

What's that?
Can I contact you through e-mail?
Re: I Regret Ever Reading Political And Administrative Studies At The UNIPORT. by ENEONWO(m): 9:13pm On May 01, 2018
Op. I think you are suffering from self delusion and it rubbed off on your academics. Your signature on this platform reads "My intelligence quotient is way higher than yours", and that alone reveals so much about your kind of person. As a graduate of Political & Administrative Studies, you ought to have a good command of English language. You apparently do not, yet you felt you deserved a first class. Many persons have graduated from the same department in Uniport under the tutelage of the same lecturers that you now accuse of deliberately wanting to to rob you of your grades. I know quite a lot. It is on record that your department has had first class graduands. For the avoidance of doubt, some Lecturers of that Department like Prof. Ekekwe and Prof. Eme Ndu made first class degrees. Many others made 2.1. You cannot say that men like Prof. Henry Alapiki and Dr Matthew Ogali will award you mark or subtract from it for any reason. They will simply not want to "assist" you even if you need just 1 mark to graduate. That is the rule of the game.

1 Like

Re: I Regret Ever Reading Political And Administrative Studies At The UNIPORT. by BiafranBushBoy: 9:47pm On May 01, 2018
Flamezzz:

Can I contact you through e-mail?

No probs. You have my email?

No need sending PMs. I can't reply.

broadwaymarketingconsults@gmail.com
Re: I Regret Ever Reading Political And Administrative Studies At The UNIPORT. by Nobody: 11:46pm On May 01, 2018
Mires:

3. You said "If public university (sic) lecturers behave (sic) well, many private universities will fold". It is not true. A greater proportion of students who secure admission to private universities couldn't meet up the competition in public universities. Hence, they chose to go to where their money can make way for them with low UTME. For instance, a student with 260 in UTME and wants to study Medicine and Surgery or Law or Economics at Ui, UNN, ABU, Unilag and OAU is likely not to be admitted to study any of these courses. But if he/she can afford some " sweet" millions of naira, Covenant University, Afe Babalola University and so on are sure bet.
Let me start with point 3.Your assertion is totally wrong because you misinterpreted me. I said if lecturers are disciplined and they operate similar way like their counterpart abroad, many private universities will fold. The teaching pattern of most public universities are archaic . They don't impact knowledge instead many make their students to cram and pass. We are good at theory but the practicality is an issue. I have friends in public universities in South Africa and their teaching pattern and knowledge impactation is far better than Nigeria no wonder their rating is far higher than ours.

Point number 2, you know nothing because you had not experienced it. Many public lecturers are sadist and would do all possible means to frustrate students that tends to climb high. A friend of mine escaped loosing first class because her course adviser shielded her. I had had my share so I know what am saying.
Point 1, you misinterpreted it also because I never said sexual harassment doesn't occur in other schools. I said it is rare
Re: I Regret Ever Reading Political And Administrative Studies At The UNIPORT. by tc2016: 6:31am On May 02, 2018
OP, first class or no first class, move on with your life and make the best out of whatever grade you've made. Truth be told, success is independent on grades. Infact, I wish I thought outside the box while I was an undergraduate student. First class graduates are no way better than you. Most first class students live in the world of satisfaction, which deprives them of innovations. They spend most of their lives gathering one degree or another, thereby working on and developing the innovations of non-first class graduates. The two great professors that Nigeria has ever produced didn't make first class. Tell me, who doesn't know Chinua Achebe and Wole Soyinka. They wrote books that professors that graduated with first class grade make reference to. Almost all the first class graduates in Nigeria don't innovate (I stand to be corrected. Take note, I didn't say 'all'). I studied a course that I loathe so much in a renowned federal university in Nigeria. I was hated by 90% of my lecturers because they saw me as an unserious fellow that wouldn't copy note, contribute in class discussions(pedagogy), and always evading lectures. A professor told me in my final year as an undergraduate student that I don't merit a first class grade because of my attitude towards lectures and faculty members. Nonetheless, I graduated with first class in a course that I never liked and will never like. OP, I'm convinced no lecturer will stop a student that's above average from graduating with a first class grade because a first class student can always call for his/her script and prove whatever he/she has written (I am an exemplar). Upon graduation, I gained a PhD admission (I applied with just my BSc degree) in a prestigious university in USA. After one month in USA, I left the university because I didn't see a reason why I should waste five years of my life pursuing a degree that I will never find fulfillment in. I came back to Nigeria, and I have never used my certificate to apply for any job. I currently manage two companies that I bootstrapped. I believe in innovations not plethora of degrees. There's nothing special about making first class: anybody can make first class, all it requires is assiduity, using pertinent course materials and obeying the first law of the 48 laws of power that states that Never Outshine the Master i.e. always make those above you feel comfortably superior. In your desire to please or impress them, do not go too far in displaying your talents or you might accomplish the opposite - inspire fear and insecurity. Make your masters appear more brilliant than they are and you will attain the heights of power. OP, if making first class will make you feel fulfilled, there's still hope. I can put you through on how you can secure admission in USA and Canada. You won't pay a dime in the institution, I mean tuition-free, and you'll receive stipend while studying. If you want to proceed for a PhD without an MSc degree, I can also put you through. My candid advice, 'first class or no first class, move on, innovate because innovators are the leaders of 21st century'
Re: I Regret Ever Reading Political And Administrative Studies At The UNIPORT. by Mires: 7:39am On May 02, 2018
OGHENAOGIE:
u think any sane person who has d funds ll opt for public school with so many wahala...lets be frank here...a lot of tins are wrong with our public schools.... Except u want us to sugar coat tins... A situation wer a lecturer finds it difficult to give students B is dat nt bin a sadist...a situation wer a students results get missing afta bin released wat do u call dat

Bro, your argument doesn't hold water. Lecturers do not find it difficult to award students B. I know of several friends who had "A" and "B" in all their courses in the university. I don't like revealing my identity in social network, otherwise I would have displayed both my BSc and MSc transcripts from two respected federal universities for your perusal. There is no single "C". They are the product of public universities and not private universities.

I have never found it difficult in awarding " A" to deserving students. Same with "F" to students who are keen about it. It is called input-output relationship. In other words, what you put in, is what you will get.

If given another chance, I will never opt for private universities. I am not against those whose preference is on private universities. But I have the strong conviction that a greater proportion of students in private universities couldn't secure admission in public universities because of intense competition. If you say this is not true, why is it that they opt for postgraduate programmes in public universities even where the private universities still run similar programmes?
Re: I Regret Ever Reading Political And Administrative Studies At The UNIPORT. by OGHENAOGIE(m): 10:27am On May 02, 2018
Mires:

Bro, your argument doesn't hold water. Lecturers do not find it difficult to award students B. I know of several friends who had "A" and "B" in all their courses in the university. I don't like revealing my identity in social network, otherwise I would have displayed both my BSc and MSc transcripts from two respected federal universities for your perusal. There is no single "C". They are the product of public universities and not private universities.

I have never found it difficult in awarding " A" to deserving students. Same with "F" to students who are keen about it. It is called input-output relationship. In other words, what you put in, is what you will get.

If given another chance, I will never opt for private universities. I am not against those whose preference is on private universities. But I have the strong conviction that a greater proportion of students in private universities couldn't secure admission in public universities because of intense competition. If you say this is not true, why is it that they opt for postgraduate programmes in public universities even where the private universities still run similar programmes?

well u are entitled to ur opinion but ist it's not true that sm folks opt for private universities cos of competition....wen u consider the atmosphere in public universities u ll understand better...a man had to withdraw his wards from unical when on matriculation day he saw hw shabby the atmosphere is ....for me I attended a dept dat til tomoro I kip regretting if it would have been better staying put in the factory....look I had a 2.1 Political science...unical 3.61 but to be frank it could have been better given the efforts I put in...a situation wer smbody gives u 15 out of 40 for an assessment...even wen u know u deserve smtin u call it fair...a situation wer a lecturer brags that in his entire life time of lecturing only two students got and non other deserve down the years..u call it fair.... A situation wer I graduated 2014 bt ineptitude of dept ensured our entire set waited til 2015 for service while error was done on my results.. Infact all others of our colleagues went for service while the three best graduating student which I was inclusive were ommited in error...tell me why I would not opt for a private school if the hands of time can be turned back.....Imagine a journey from 2009 til 2016 over what...if I happen to find myself in covenant babcock or Madonna...with my dint of commitment and hardwork if I wouldn't get a ist class at least above 4.0 ll be obtainable.... I don't like generalizing.... In that same unical u have dept like philosophy history dat are gud....my roommate had 4.35 in history to me if he was in a private school wer fair is fair he would get a ist class.... If am given the opportunity to choose wer to do postgraduate on scholarship I ll choose private school cuz of d ecology....... I can tell u for a fact that the way public universities are run is rendering sm graduates psychological derilicks... I presume u are a Scholar rite .....smtin I treasure badly but time nd finance seems the dream cannot make the dream realizable....thanks...i HP we get to relate more
Re: I Regret Ever Reading Political And Administrative Studies At The UNIPORT. by Mires: 11:07am On May 02, 2018
OGHENAOGIE:
well u are entitled to ur opinion but ist it's not true that sm folks opt for private universities cos of competition....wen u consider the atmosphere in public universities u ll understand better...a man had to withdraw his wards from unical when on matriculation day he saw hw shabby the atmosphere is ....for me I attended a dept dat til tomoro I kip regretting if it would have been better staying put in the factory....look I had a 2.1 Political science...unical 3.61 but to be frank it could have been better given the efforts I put in...a situation wer smbody gives u 15 out of 40 for an assessment...even wen u know u deserve smtin u call it fair...a situation wer a lecturer brags that in his entire life time of lecturing only two students got and non other deserve down the years..u call it fair.... A situation wer I graduated 2014 bt ineptitude of dept ensured our entire set waited til 2015 for service while error was done on my results.. Infact all others of our colleagues went for service while the three best graduating student which I was inclusive were ommited in error...tell me why I would not opt for a private school if the hands of time can be turned back.....Imagine a journey from 2009 til 2016 over what...if I happen to find myself in covenant babcock or Madonna...with my dint of commitment and hardwork if I wouldn't get a ist class at least above 4.0 ll be obtainable.... I don't like generalizing.... In that same unical u have dept like philosophy history dat are gud....my roommate had 4.35 in history to me if he was in a private school wer fair is fair he would get a ist class.... If am given the opportunity to choose wer to do postgraduate on scholarship I ll choose private school cuz of d ecology....... I can tell u for a fact that the way public universities are run is rendering sm graduates psychological derilicks... I presume u are a Scholar rite .....smtin I treasure badly but time nd finance seems the dream cannot make the dream realizable....thanks...i HP we get to relate more

Bro, I share your pains. However, be it known that most First Class from private universities might not make its equivalent in public universities. That's if some will make 2.1

I keep telling those who cares to listen that private universities are business enterprises. Hence, the lecturers are mandated by the management to give students what they termed "excellent" results in order to remain in business. This does not happen in public universities where an academic monthly take home does not come from the institution but from the government. Permit me to say that I have seen so many First Class and 2.1 from well respected private universities in Nigeria who couldn't secured PhD grade from masters programme at Ui. A lot of them after all the struggling, couldn't make MPhil/PhD grade. What does that reveal? So many things of which one was over-grading. They end up being frustrated and raining curses on Ui as if the institution is their problem.

Let me also use this medium to highlight that environment drives competition. The Holy Bible pointed out that iron sharpens iron. If you had secured admission into a private university, who knows you might not put in the same level of effort. I hope you know that only few children from rich home study to show themselves approved unlike at Unical where several students will read even when they are maintaining steady 1-0-1 model.

Finally, finance shouldn't be a constraint if you desire to be in academics. I for one took it upon myself to see myself through all my academic pursuits without financial assistance from anyone. Please, don't ask me how because so many people keep asking that question except my childhood friends who know better. If you have desire and passion for something, please, don't let finance stop you. However, if your passion for academics is tied to an illusion of money making, please don't even imagine it. It is one profession that take home isn't commensurate to efforts invested. While some of us have had to regret venturing into it, some are consoled that it is an avenue to impart on lives.
Re: I Regret Ever Reading Political And Administrative Studies At The UNIPORT. by OGHENAOGIE(m): 12:44pm On May 02, 2018
Mires:

Bro, I share your pains. However, be it known that most First Class from private universities might not make its equivalent in public universities. That's if some will make 2.1
U
I keep telling those who cares to listen that private universities are business enterprises. Hence, the lecturers are mandated by the management to give students what they termed "excellent" results in order to remain in business. This does not happen in public universities where an academic monthly take home does not come from the institution but from the government. Permit me to say that I have seen so many First Class and 2.1 from well respected private universities in Nigeria who couldn't secured PhD grade from masters programme at Ui. A lot of them after all the struggling, couldn't make MPhil/PhD grade. What does that reveal? So many things of which one was over-grading. They end up being frustrated and raining curses on Ui as if the institution is their problem.

Let me also use this medium to highlight that environment drives competition. The Holy Bible pointed out that iron sharpens iron. If you had secured admission into a private university, who knows you might not put in the same level of effort. I hope you know that only few children from rich home study to show themselves approved unlike at Unical where several students will read even when they are maintaining steady 1-0-1 model.

Finally, finance shouldn't be a constraint if you desire to be in academics. I for one took it upon myself to see myself through all my academic pursuits without financial assistance from anyone. Please, don't ask me how because so many people keep asking that question except my childhood friends who know better. If you have desire and passion for something, please, don't let finance stop you. However, if your passion for academics is tied to an illusion of money making, please don't even imagine it. It is one profession that take home isn't commensurate to efforts invested. While some of us have had to regret venturing into it, some are consoled that it is an avenue to impart on lives.
well I think we shd look at this logically which is d essence of philosophy nd logic we did at gst or gss as d case may be..... Perhaps u are rite dat sm ist class or 2.1 can't make equivalent in public universities...like a colleague of mine who said a ist class from adeleke couldn't get admission to ui Pol Sci in UI recently...to luk at d issue specifically... Der is individual workability nd we have private universities like covenant and babcock who have standard...pple get third class in covenant... Nd mind u the Society don't care about this process pple go thru to get dis grade who.... I know what I can do if given d opportunity bt u got to realize we are competing with guys from different terrain.... I read here on nairaland wer a graduate from novena university went to uk ND came out tops she was retained...so ur argument as to private schools nt up to standard is hasty generalisation........ The bottom line is this private schools has the requisite environs for learning and mentoring....i ll be stupid if I have much money nd send my wards to public schools except things change...... As for academics when the dust settles I ll kip working and go to open university......for msc even PhD if nt for anything self fulfilment nd d love for scholarship....now dat am into security...lets see hw it goes except a miracle happens I ll continue in Pol Sci...man is not younger any more nd education needs money which I don't have....the training I have got can See Me thru to d next level...while I hope for better opportunity

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Meet Emmanuel Tochukwu Edward , The Best Graduating Student At NIJ 2018 / Four Boys Who Sold Leaked WAEC Exam Questions Arrested In Ondo, Edo And Osun / Lagos Police: Two Autopsies Showed Sylvester Oromoni Died Naturally: Video

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 156
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.